Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

You Am I posted:

Got my car back from getting hail damage repair work done to it

As well as getting the roof and bonnet fixed, they replaced some of the window rubbers, as they had tears in them from the hail damage.

Car's looking like a million dollars at the moment (as long as you ignore the stone chip damage on the bonnet)

<sigh> I'll never understand why Ford won't sell the cool cars here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

<sigh> I'll never understand why Ford won't sell the cool cars here.

It's a Protege5 but I still wonder why Ford let Mazda use it in the US and not themselves.

I mean I understand that it's much more of a Mazda than a Ford but you could still wonder why the new Focus platform is sold here as a Mazda (which already has pretty good perceived quality) rather than a Ford (which could benefit way more from that perception).

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Not nearly as impressive as most of the other cars here, but this one is mine and I love it. It's a 1991 honda civic hatchback, in pretty good shape for a michigan car. Barely any rust at all. I've done a few mods to it but I've tried to not let it get too ricey. Still haven't set aside a day to take off the horrible horrible old tint though. One day.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

localized posted:

How are those mounted?

Bolted onto the grille, like so:

Unfortunately they don't work because... well, actually, I'm not sure why they don't work. The bulbs look fine, I'd have to remove the grille to have a better look at the wiring. Maybe one of the PO's disconnected them? :confused:

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
Well, it's about as close as you can get to owning a Japanese Citroen - but I absolutely love it, even though it's a godawful daily driver, is constantly falling apart, and gets abysmal gas mileage around town. It has a certain quality about it that I have never experienced with any of my other cars, and it's definitely my favorite. The slushbox is being replaced in September with a 6MT, which is what this car has been begging for since it was manufactured. The EG33 is an absolutely amazing sounding engine when breathing correctly.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

ursa_minor posted:

Well, it's about as close as you can get to owning a Japanese Citroen - but I absolutely love it, even though it's a godawful daily driver, is constantly falling apart, and gets abysmal gas mileage around town. It has a certain quality about it that I have never experienced with any of my other cars, and it's definitely my favorite. The slushbox is being replaced in September with a 6MT, which is what this car has been begging for since it was manufactured. The EG33 is an absolutely amazing sounding engine when breathing correctly.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L.

I saw one of these in a local junkyard at the beginning of summer and had no idea what the heck was going on with the windows. In fact, I still do not know what the heck is going on with the windows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Got my car back from getting hail damage repair work done to it

As well as getting the roof and bonnet fixed, they replaced some of the window rubbers, as they had tears in them from the hail damage.

Car's looking like a million dollars at the moment (as long as you ignore the stone chip damage on the bonnet)

I hate you and your awesome car so much!

Gawain
Jun 16, 2010

It's my somewhat new ride, a Blazer ZR2... Just put some fresh rubber on it, gonna order my new exhaust this week hopefully! Its a badass little truck.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

ursa_minor posted:

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L.

[timg]

A guy I worked with for a few years loved the SVX's. When I knew him he was on his second and about a year later I heard he got another one. He was driving them all over the US because he hated to fly. The first one he put almost 200k on, the second one had about 170k by the time he left. He was constantly searching for ones in good condition so that he could replace it if needed. He had 3 others that were parts cars for him so he didn't have to worry about finding most general parts if something broke/wore out. He always got the manual tranny also, said the auto sucked the life out of the car.

supa scoopa
Jan 15, 2007

Picked this up today, it's just a 1.5. Getting rid of my Alfa 156, I've had enough of car electronics for a while.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Oh god what have I done.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Looks like you've gone and bought yourself one fine-rear end automobile.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tindjin posted:

He always got the manual tranny also, said the auto sucked the life out of the car.

Only came in automatic unless you swapped it DIY style.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Ormy posted:

Oh god what have I done.

For those of us not familiar enough to identify on sight, what year/model is it?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ab0z posted:

For those of us not familiar enough to identify on sight, what year/model is it?

Look like an XJ-R

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

ab0z posted:

For those of us not :britain: enough to identify on sight, what year/model is it?

Its a 1998 XJR. Either the best or the worst purchase I've ever made, I haven't decided yet.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Sockington posted:

Only came in automatic unless you swapped it DIY style.

Didn't know that they only came in auto so he must have swapped something into it. Not DIY, dude was made of money, not mechanically inclined and would have paid a shop to make all the changes.

deeter
Oct 21, 2005

Ormy posted:

Its a 1998 XJR. Either the best or the worst purchase I've ever made, I haven't decided yet.

I had an '01. It will be both. ;) Enjoy, it's a hell of a car. That engine is just too nice and sounds too good to drive slowly, though. So lots of fuel and lots of avoiding speeding tickets are in your future.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

supa scoopa posted:

Picked this up today, it's just a 1.5. Getting rid of my Alfa 156, I've had enough of car electronics for a while.

So you bought a.... volkswagen? :suicide: You crazy man, you -- you crazy.

supa scoopa
Jan 15, 2007

MrSaturn posted:

nah, not much electronic stuff on these, and they're super easy to work on, compared to the 156.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

Tytanium posted:

Pictures aren't the best, but the lighting sucked and I forgot my tripod :(

Obligatory syph0n™ shot

Yes, my license plate is duct taped into place, and it's going to stay that way until I can figure out how to unscrew the mounting screws.

I'll get some more when the lighting is better (maybe after I get it lowered too(!)

:frogc00l:

Your going to have to get in behind the bumper and unscrew them from the back. I've had to do this on several cars.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

MrSaturn posted:

I was about to say, I think my toaster has more electronics in it than a first generation Jetta. Sold mine last month, charming little car in a cold war sort of way.

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!

KlementGottwald posted:

:frogc00l:

Your going to have to get in behind the bumper and unscrew them from the back. I've had to do this on several cars.

I managed to take them out, and it appears the original screwholes got knocked out at some point, and the PO used some drywall expansion clamp screws(don't remember what they're called, but they have an expanding joint that holds flush against the wall after you put it through a hole) holding the plate in. Still duct taped :(

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

-A n i m 8- fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 19, 2010

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Picked it up last night and loving it :D

:rock: PLAID!! :rock:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Posted it before...but...

I love my car.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I've posted mine before too, but I got the windows tinted yesterday so DEAL WITH IT.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DropShadow posted:

I've posted mine before too, but I got the windows tinted yesterday so DEAL WITH IT.

Do you actually own a tilt-shift or lensbaby or did you do that in post? It seems to be getting fairly popular lately. I'm not so keen I like it on that shot, it makes the car seem like a toy. Dig the car though.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

rockcity posted:

Do you actually own a tilt-shift or lensbaby or did you do that in post? It seems to be getting fairly popular lately. I'm not so keen I like it on that shot, it makes the car seem like a toy. Dig the car though.

Quick & dirty in Photoshop (as you can see by the rough edges around the windshield & cowl). I took the photo with my iPhone right after the tint was done and wanted to get rid of the Menards lumberyard in the background.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

My R32.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Just closed on the loan for an '09 Pontiac Vibe 2.4L (that has all the features of the GT, less the leather seats) and will be getting it on Monday. It will be a worthy successor to the '97 Lumina. Pics forthcoming :hellyeah:

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
2008 Audi TT 2.0T, FWD. Got her one week ago to replace my totaled 335i. Nothing helps you get over the old quite like the new!

Calamari
Jul 12, 2003
If my head was on fire would you take the time to put it out ?
Picked this thing up two weeks ago... Im just working on breaking it in.

2010 Nimso 370z

Calamari fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 26, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

King-Kong posted:

2008 Audi TT 2.0T, FWD. Got her one week ago to replace my totaled 335i. Nothing helps you get over the old quite like the new!

Just wanted to say this is a great photo. Nicely done. Plus the car is good, too (at least according to Jeremy Clarkson, never driven one myself).

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

Calamari posted:

2010 Nimso 370z

Grats. She will be lots of fun. Also come post that in the Z thread!

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003

Calamari posted:

2010 Nimso 370z

Did they fix your brakes so they don't melt under aggressive driving?

I heard this was a problem with the nismo Z's

Calamari
Jul 12, 2003
If my head was on fire would you take the time to put it out ?

notbrant posted:

Did they fix your brakes so they don't melt under aggressive driving?

I heard this was a problem with the nismo Z's

Well I havent booked lap time so im not too worried right now. I have the part numbers for the Nismo pads. I hear some quality high temp brake fluid helped a lot when Car and Driver tested it after VIR.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Calamari posted:

I hear some quality high temp brake fluid helped a lot when Car and Driver tested it after VIR.
Here's the article about it: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q2/z_meets_wall_we_investigate_why_the_nismo_z_s_brakes_failed_at_lightning_lap-feature

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

supa scoopa posted:

Hell yeah, I love those! It is my lifelong dream to make the ultimate sleeper out of one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

The conclusion was: You want the "performance" brake pads, a higher temp brake fluid, and add brake ducting if you plan to track it.

Edit: Why get the NISMO pads at all if you don't have them already? You can probably find a better pad out there than the NISMO pad at the same price, no?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 27, 2010