Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Also i just found that Sakura d3 Kit for like 99 bucks? Would the "kit" Have everything i need to start? I don't see a remote control in the picture and it's giving me a conniption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

All you drift bros need to explain it to me. Not actual drifting, mind you, but how to get in on it r/c style for cheap. The basement of my new house is a gigantic slab of slick concrete and it looks prime for drifting. I see that drift cars are mainly 4wd TC's....I'm assuming the gear ratios are different so the rear end end slides easier?

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 6, 2013

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

Holy crap that thing looks good. Are those magnetic body mount posts? And if they are holy crap I wish those were a thing when I was painting cars and crying about drilling holes and ruining my 'pretty' bodies.

Wow that's a big car, I've been tempted to buy something like that but where the heck can you even run those? I'm used to bashing trucks/buggies around the yard or driving cars around the driveway or maybe taking them to a big parking lot for high speed runs. I'd guess you need a local track or something to really play with those things. Either way awesome.

Those are stealth mounts. They look awesome but are really only practical for drift cars since the body would fly off on a race track. The FG sedan is awesome. We started stocking them a few months back and they have been selling really well. So I could get a better grasp of how they go together I decided I needed one (I know the Baja and Losi through and through). We sell only the 4WD sedan models since most we sell will end up on a non-prepped surface and the 2WD models are like driving on marbles. Any nice smooth parking lot will work. I live in Utah so I figured church parking lots are easy enough to find :) I'll break it in this weekend and slap a RePlay camera on it and post some vids. For $1350, it's totally set up ready to go with really nice components. I'm trying with the stock radio for now but will drop my M11 gear in it shortly.

To Acid Ronin; I haven't found a decent place in the domestic US for any of the specialty drift stuff (but I've considered to try the market since I think it is under served). I ran it by the person I work for as something we should look in to and I think that it's worth a shot.
Edit: CS means Counter Steer, it's running a different gear ratio from front to back, overdrive or under drive stuff.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 6, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

AcidRonin posted:

Also i just found that Sakura d3 Kit for like 99 bucks? Would the "kit" Have everything i need to start? I don't see a remote control in the picture and it's giving me a conniption.

For a majority of RC stuff kit is going to mean the bare chassis, I think I remember seeing some that don't even include wheels or shocks/springs. You would need all the power, radio and misc. gear to make it run. Generally if it comes with something (electronics) it will list what is included very specifically, some nice sites will also list what is required to get it running.

RTR (Ready-to-Run) on the other hand will be ready to go as the name implies. Motor/ESC, transmitter, receiver, servos, battery and a charger.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Somewhat Heroic posted:

To Acid Ronin; I haven't found a decent place in the domestic US for any of the specialty drift stuff (but I've considered to try the market since I think it is under served). I ran it by the person I work for as something we should look in to and I think that it's worth a shot.
Edit: CS means Counter Steer, it's running a different gear ratio from front to back, overdrive or under drive stuff.

It dosnt have to be LOCATED in the US, it just has to ship here. That seems to be the problem.

NitroSpazzz posted:

For a majority of RC stuff kit is going to mean the bare chassis, I think I remember seeing some that don't even include wheels or shocks/springs. You would need all the power, radio and misc. gear to make it run. Generally if it comes with something (electronics) it will list what is included very specifically, some nice sites will also list what is required to get it running.

RTR (Ready-to-Run) on the other hand will be ready to go as the name implies. Motor/ESC, transmitter, receiver, servos, battery and a charger.

Hmm, i will have to do more research then, i really do want to build it myself, but i will need all the parts. The majority of the RTR kits i see are already put together, that seems like loving up half the fun.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Somewhat Heroic: I hate you gimme that car! :D

ColonelJohnMatrix: cheap sideways rc fun? cheap touring car with HPI T drifts....

AcidRonin: CS is Counter Steer, the higher the gear ratio the more the rear wants to whip out. most people start with a low raito like 1.5 or 1.4 to get used to it. if you have a normal 4wd touring car with stock ratio you just have to steer with the turn, CS makes rc drifting look more realistic.

most drift stuff I gotten has been from ebay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTZKKrI1kQ

RC drifting is why I got into this hobby. Its my first love :3:

funny thing, most RC drifters love scale so much, its not uncommon for them to have a few scaler trucks as well like a scx10 or a tamiya hilux.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Like example, is this everything (minus a body of course) i would need to get going? http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Racing-Sak...25445%26ps%3D54

That link is gross sorry. it also makes it seem like it's not assembled which i prefer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

AcidRonin posted:

Like example, is this everything (minus a body of course) i would need to get going? http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Racing-Sak...25445%26ps%3D54

That link is gross sorry. it also makes it seem like it's not assembled which i prefer.

Looks like that is missing a brushless motor to go with the ESC and battery/charger, maybe a steering servo too (most radios come with one but it doesn't say). I know nothing about setting these up so I can't offer much advice on what motor and batteries you would run in that kit.

2nd edit: looks like I edited my post as you hit quote, I know nothing about setting those cars up.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 6, 2013

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looks like that is missing a brushless motor to go with the ESC and battery/charger, maybe a steering servo too (most radios come with one but it doesn't say). I know nothing about setting these up so I can't offer much advice on what motor and batteries you would run in that kit.

That would be awesome thank you, or at least a part list so i know what will work with it?

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's some pics I took of our first off road race we finally had on Labor Day. We have been working on this off and on for almost a year now. Between freezing temps, boiling temps, rain, and humidity we finally got it mostly done. Enough to hold a decent race on it anyways. Its still pretty rough, so it was basically 8th scale and short course only for now.

http://imgur.com/a/YYW5Y

Anyone have any tire tips for a hard packed, dusty track?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I have a Yokomo NanoQlo, which is about as small as I've ever seen one. It's awesome desktop fun.

It was a lot like that. But on digging up more photos I think it was a little different and perhaps a tiny shade larger but I'm not sure. I think the steering servos and linkage were a bit different and the prop shafts looked maybe 6mm thick and fairly short. If that store wasn't 100km away I'd drop in for another look to see what it was.

Something like that would have a super challenging time with all the poo poo adorning every surface here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

It was a lot like that. But on digging up more photos I think it was a little different and perhaps a tiny shade larger but I'm not sure. I think the steering servos and linkage were a bit different and the prop shafts looked maybe 6mm thick and fairly short. If that store wasn't 100km away I'd drop in for another look to see what it was.

Something like that would have a super challenging time with all the poo poo adorning every surface here.
I have a Losi Micro Crawler as well, which is significantly bigger (six inches total length).

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

krushgroove posted:

Just the fact you even HAVE a retro monster truck class tells us your area has a shitload of RC action. Fantastic :)

I'd like to join the retro monster truck club. I have my old Tamiya mud blaster mouldering away on a shelf. It's basically a Blackfoot with a Subaru brat body. Its rocking ball bearings and the old school slot machine motor. I just need to not be lazy and rebuild the old MSC and it'll be good to go.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'd like to join the retro monster truck club. I have my old Tamiya mud blaster mouldering away on a shelf. It's basically a Blackfoot with a Subaru brat body. Its rocking ball bearings and the old school slot machine motor. I just need to not be lazy and rebuild the old MSC and it'll be good to go.

The retro class is so much fun. We had a first run of them last weekend and it was a blast. Here's a shot of my clod hitting the cars.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
AcidRonin: the sakura D3 is a nice intro to cs Drifting. rcmart or "dinball" is reliable, i buy from him all the time. Looks like the ESC is also Sensored/Sensorless all around a nice esc to start with.

from the same ebay store for a cheap servo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140947012523?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and to complement the ESC with your link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Passi...=item1e7ec21a4a

yer clod's kicking rear end! can't wait to build my TXT-2. Small puller update, still waiting on him to send me a quote for a 2wd mod, its been two weeks. might just give up and maybe build a 4wd puller myself.

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 7, 2013

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I've found myself a giant parking lot to finish the break in on my new FG. There is something totally AI and hilarious about something 3 1/2 feet long doing 4 wheel drifts at full noodle that is unmatched by anything else. Really digging the new purchase.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I've found myself a giant parking lot to finish the break in on my new FG. There is something totally AI and hilarious about something 3 1/2 feet long doing 4 wheel drifts at full noodle that is unmatched by anything else. Really digging the new purchase.

awesome, get some video or pics next time. :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

awesome man looks great,nice troll face wing! how are your nitro engines doing?

haha thanks. The troll wing is a little joke we have going on... The alpha is doing great, I'm around 8 gallons through my A830 Dragon and it still freakin rips. Super impressed with those engines and you can't beat the price!

Stregone posted:

Here's some pics I took of our first off road race we finally had on Labor Day. We have been working on this off and on for almost a year now. Between freezing temps, boiling temps, rain, and humidity we finally got it mostly done. Enough to hold a decent race on it anyways. Its still pretty rough, so it was basically 8th scale and short course only for now.

http://imgur.com/a/YYW5Y

Anyone have any tire tips for a hard packed, dusty track?

Track looks pretty fun! Tires are HUGE when it comes to setup. For what that surface looks like I'd recommend something like an AKA Ibeam or Cityblock (or a combo of the two! Cityblock fronts and Ibeam rears has worked well for me in similar conditions) in either soft or supersoft compound, depending on temp. I generally run softs in the summer unless it's super hot on a very hardpack track, then I'll switch to mediums. If the track starts to groove up at all a Gridiron would be another good alternative.

Other tires you might check out are the Losi Eclipse in red compound, jcon's new metrix tire in blue compound, or a proline holeshot in m3.

In other racing news, I got to run with two of the biggest names in 1/8th nitro this past weekend at the Byron Fuels Heartland Nationals - Ryan Lutz and Cody King! Pretty sweet to see the pros in action, and have a chance to race against them. Did well in nitro qualifying 8th in pro buggy A main, and finished 6th after 45 long minutes. Ebuggy... well, lets just say for once electric cars caused me more frustration than nitro. Very disappointed because my car was GREAT and I qualified well. Didn't end up finishing a single race. A1 I started 3rd on the grid and was taken out in the second corner, went from 3rd to last to 7th on the first lap. Worked back up to 2nd before the motor gave up around the 9 minute mark. Pretty sure it's a bad sensor board but I've not torn into it yet.

Here's the two 1/8ths from last weekend:

And something new to play with... :getin:

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
awesome,

I'm still waiting for the tekno buggy, but while i wait i got my new motor already bought. Its a clocked RB blast v12, wish tekno would hurry up and release.

nice 22 2.0, is it wrong that i still got a 22sct in a box?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Well my stuff is ordered. Lovely, now i have a big AE86 that isnt finished being assembled, and a little one on its way that will need to be built. I should really finish some projects :ohdear:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Arise, ye thread!

I'm getting very close on my pro-stock pulling tractor. A good friend of mine runs Sutton Pulling Products, and is building me the chassis and body. I'll be doing final finishing and all the paint/graphic/tire trimming work. Here is what I'm going for - a 70's era Ford 9600 tractor (the tractor in this picture is a killer top alcohol superstock called The Bomb, I've seen it pull a bunch).

Here is the chassis and raw body panels (epoxy and balsa wood on the body) -

And here it is as of last night, getting close to finished. It will have some fiberglass work done over the balsa wood, and then a steering wheel & roll cage will be added. He is then going to prime the body before sending it to me. This is looking killer. My friend does great work (he did the other tractors I've posted in the thread).

Our big pull is on Oct 13. I hope to be able to pull it, although it will most likely be in primer if I make it in time! It's going to be eventually running on a Castle 7900 kv system on 4 cell :getin:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The tractor is getting very close! Our big regional pull is this Sunday, so it will be done just in time. The electronics arrived yesterday for it, so they go in this weekend. I also finished cutting the tread on the rear tires. The rollcage and seat still need to be finished, and I also need to paint the Tamiya driver figure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I found this today. Yep, a 1/10 Suzuki Cappuccino bodyshell.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I broke out the stampede for a little bashing today. Its been a few weeks so I cleaned it up a bit and decided to throw the beat rear end stock body back on. Ever since I got a lipo for this thing its been a smile machine.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah Grumbletron, once you go lipo you can never go back.

It got finished literally on the starting line the day of our big pull, but it pulls great! Now I just have to finish the steering wheel, rollcage, seat, gain 2 lbs to be up to weight limit, paint the rollcage, and do the graphics :psyduck:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That is so awesome CJM. I had an old model train which if you put sewing machine oil in it, the train would smoke. That would be a cool addition to the tractor

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How many pulls do you get from one pack on one of those things?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You Am I posted:

That is so awesome CJM. I had an old model train which if you put sewing machine oil in it, the train would smoke. That would be a cool addition to the tractor

Thanks, and I'm going to be looking into a model train smoker very soon! The big issue is finding room. It's already super cramped under the hood.

Here are a few more of my favorite shots from the pull yesterday. We had about 60 trucks & tractors across 9 classes! It was a hell of a turnout. To answer your question Powder, you can get a few pulls just fine but then you'll want to recharge to get absolute peak voltage. The bigger issue is keeping cool. These things have timing turned all the way up, are overgeared, and normally overvolted. After a couple runs on the hotter classes (the big tractors & trucks are running 7000+ kv systems on 3,4, or 6s) you definitely want to give it time to cool. Anyways, a couple shots:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
OMFG that first green ford and that last blue one :gizz:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I landed the gig at Big Squid RC as the new Friday scale columnist. I basically get around 200 words each week to spew forth my thoughts on the latest scale news (not just 4x4, everything),share my builds, and promote/recap my club events. So that's pretty cool!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Very cool! You're on your way :) 200 words doesn't sound like much, but you know what you're doing so you should be able to get that bumped up in time.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

Very cool! You're on your way :) 200 words doesn't sound like much, but you know what you're doing so you should be able to get that bumped up in time.

Thank you! Worst case scenario this just gives me more excuses for my wife on why I need to go out and play with toys. My first column is going to be a week from Friday on a soon to be announced "major release for the scale crawling crowd". I'm supposed to test drive the mystery vehicle early next week. That kind of stuff alone makes me happy to try the gig out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey, I've read a couple of articles on that site. Hopefully it'll be an interesting sideline for you.

In other news, I did some more shopping when I was on holiday in Japan:

Just some cars I fancied. The Clod and the Lunchbox are models I've wanted to have since I was about 8, so it's nice to finally get them :3:. If any of you are ever going to Tokyo, check out RC Champ in Akihabara, they're really cheap. That Clod cost me ~£130, compared to the ~£300 they go for in the UK (RRP is £375).

Anyway, not sure when I'll get around to building them, but it's been a few years since I had any kits to put together, so I'm a bit out of the loop on what's available. I'm guessing that 2.4GHz is the way to go with radios now? Looks like Etronix have some good-value stuff that's a reasonable spec? I prefer sticks to wheels, too.

For power, it seems that LiPo is the thing now. Any recommendations for good value cells and chargers? No racing or hot motors and the like, my usage is mainly going to just be messing about with them in parks etc.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

While I can't speak for the cars, enjoy the Clod and Lunchbox builds! The Lunchbox goes together super easy, and really the clod isn't bad either.

You definitely want to go 2.4 ghz, although I'm not familiar with those brands. If you want good, cheap lipos, feel free to use the hobby king ones. I use them in my trail trucks and clodbuster and I've never had a problem. Been using them for about 2 years now, and I think each one was around 20 dollars. I'd recommend 5000 mah and around 20-25c discharge.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Thank you! Worst case scenario this just gives me more excuses for my wife on why I need to go out and play with toys.

I recently started doing airbrush reviews, DVD instructionals and other stuff (painting RC bodies and other things) so yeah you'll start collecting lots more stuff pretty quickly! It's a good problem to have.

quote:

My first column is going to be a week from Friday on a soon to be announced "major release for the scale crawling crowd". I'm supposed to test drive the mystery vehicle early next week. That kind of stuff alone makes me happy to try the gig out.

This, obviously, is the biggest perk ;)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

This, obviously, is the biggest perk ;)

Yeah, so I guess I can say that it's Axial because they are leaking stuff themselves to the press today saying that they have an imminent announcement. The truck is legit a mystery to me though as they wouldn't even so much as give me a hint to what it was because of strict NDA. My guess is that it's going to be some type of independent front suspension truck (like the Wraith/Exo hybrids and Twin Hammers) because there have been rumors of that floating around since early summer, but I guess we will see soon.

Iron Code Monkey
Jun 13, 2012
I just ordered an Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon from Tower. Go figure they would announce something new two days later.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Iron Code Monkey posted:

I just ordered an Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon from Tower. Go figure they would announce something new two days later.

You are probably fine. While I would love to see the SCX10 line expanded/updated, I doubt that is what it will be. In talking with a local Axial distribution rep a few months ago he heavily alluded to their being a production "Wrexo" in development. I would be shocked if it's anything but that. I would love to be wrong though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After picking up a Slash 4x4 Platinum LCG to have something fast and offroad-y, I think that the whole class of SC trucks and monster trucks isn't really for me. I LOVE my SCX10 and XV-01 (and still get a little kick out of the M-05ra on occasion) but the Slash is just too big for bashing around my house and I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I'd expected. And when I do, the XV-01 or SCX10 are honestly more fun. I'd thought about converting it to more of a monster truck but I'm probably better off just admitting that it's not what I'm into and selling it for something else. Maybe something nice and scale from RC4WD or a drift car.

Soo, anyone want to buy it from me? Or have a suggestion for where to sell it and how much? Looks like there's some stuff on the local craigslist so I may give that a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

If any of you are ever going to Tokyo, check out RC Champ in Akihabara, they're really cheap. That Clod cost me ~£130, compared to the ~£300 they go for in the UK (RRP is £375).
I used to deal with RC Champ, but recently they have stopped replying to emails for International Orders, which is sad. You are right, they are dirt cheap compared to official Tamiya importers. And used to have good service.