Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Shitfucking morning meeting cockblocked me out of the play.

DYN Jun 2011 6.000 call (DYN110618C00006000)
Last Trade: 0.35
Trade Time: 10:54AM EST
Change: Up 0.10 (40.00%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minutemantm
Apr 7, 2009

Nothing is all wrong.
Hay I'm Iran driving warships into ur canal loving up ur technical crude trades LOL.

Seconds after I bought some 84 puts this poo poo came out. So good.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

pr0k posted:

Shitfucking morning meeting cockblocked me out of the play.

DYN Jun 2011 6.000 call (DYN110618C00006000)
Last Trade: 0.35
Trade Time: 10:54AM EST
Change: Up 0.10 (40.00%)

Dude you gotta get some thinkorswim on your phone :)

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Josh Lyman posted:

Strangle on NVDA ahead of earnings. Just throwing a few hundred in for a bet.

Waiting on a fill for 21/24 double calendar.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Turkeybone posted:

Dude you gotta get some thinkorswim on your phone :)

I think I save more money than I would make by not having a smartphone. :)

$100/year prepaid tmobil, bitches.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The data plan is totally worth it since you dont need an internet connection and then you can browse forums while you wait for someone to stop talking.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Plastic Jesus posted:

Waiting on a fill for 21/24 double calendar.

I threw in $35 bucks. Let's see whats for dinner tonight.

edit: aw dang I forgot to buy a SKX lottery ticket, too. I wouldve gone long. Lets see.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

I threw in $35 bucks. Let's see whats for dinner tonight.

edit: aw dang I forgot to buy a SKX lottery ticket, too. I wouldve gone long. Lets see.

Wheeee well there goes skechers.

edit: and there goes NVDA. Byebye :20bux: :10bux:

edit edit: and here comes :20bux: . Okay Im not even going to pay attention until tomorrow morning. This might be another CMG rollercoaster haha.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 16, 2011

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

Have to see what happens with the vol crush in the morning, but the AH action has me comfortably under the big top.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Im usually too dumb for interesting strategies, but a friend of mine is doing covered called on KBH with APR 15s. Or something like that. They report right after expiration.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

edit edit: and here comes :20bux: . Okay Im not even going to pay attention until tomorrow morning. This might be another CMG rollercoaster haha.
NVDA you boring piece of poo poo!

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

Im usually too dumb for interesting strategies, but a friend of mine is doing covered called on KBH with APR 15s. Or something like that. They report right after expiration.

It's really not that fancy of a trade. In a calendar you sell the front month and hedge with a later month at the same strike. Idea is that you get paid time decay on the closer expiration while paying less on the the latter. They can work well in situations like NVDA today where the front-month is close to expiration, but the earnings lead-up sends IV through the roof. A double-calendar is just putting on two calendars with different strikes. If none of that seems intriguing it also has the advantage of looking like a circus tent:

That graph is misleading on the degree of upside, since the trade's long vega and both the March contracts will suffer a vol crush right alongside the ones for Feb.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

If the vol crush affects both months (though not equally I know), is the difference in time decay really worth the trade? I know that one decays more than the other, but that difference over just one day must be relatively negligible.

I wonder if anybody knew what you meant by big top before you posted that chart!

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
The goal of a calendar spread is its lottery ticket function. If the first option expires worthless and the second one winds up in the money, you reap enormous rewards based on paying a very small amount of money.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Why would a gap like this have happened in something so heavily and continuously traded as EUR/USD? 30S chart. Around 10:30pm PST.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nifty posted:

Why would a gap like this have happened in something so heavily and continuously traded as EUR/USD? 30S chart. Around 10:30pm PST.

On a related note, I asked the following question about 3 months ago: where can I get tick-by-tick currency prices (at least cross, bid/ask would be nice) for major pairs for the last 3 years. Gain Capital's publicly available historical data was suggested but it's not going to cut it.

minutemantm
Apr 7, 2009

Nothing is all wrong.

Turkeybone posted:

FWIW: I think Plastic Jesus is describing a calendar spread, while it sounds like your friend may be talking about covered calls, in which case you'd be either buying or selling the calls then either one to one or delta equivalent purchasing the underlying to hedge them. If you can buy it cheap it's like legging into a straddle on low vol.

whalesneedlove
Sep 27, 2003

An analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

Nifty posted:

Looks like bad data on your end. I checked different feeds and I had a large bear candle.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Nifty posted:

If the vol crush affects both months (though not equally I know), is the difference in time decay really worth the trade? I know that one decays more than the other, but that difference over just one day must be relatively negligible.

I wonder if anybody knew what you meant by big top before you posted that chart!

Yes. Right now the theta anchor on the Feb 24 puts is 3x that of the March 24s (the Feb 21s essentially no longer exist). As for the vol crush, the IV of the Feb 24 puts was like 137% while for the March contracts it was ~67%. Today the Febs have an IV of 58% and March is at 51% so my short vega position benefited more than my long vega position suffered. BTW this isn't normal, usually front-month options have a lower IV than later-dated options, it was just the earnings expectation that reversed them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ugh WNR why dont you stop?

Also S is the new VZ.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

You people can stop buying NVDA anytime now. Hey, you could even sell some if you want.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Plastic Jesus posted:

You people can stop buying NVDA anytime now. Hey, you could even sell some if you want.
My strangle has a net change of $16. :effort:

So no, keep buying! My puts are already worthless anyway!

edit: Any thoughts on whether I should dump my 24 calls today or hope for some positive PA tomorrow? Theta isn't crazy big.

edit2: Annnd I'm out.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 17, 2011

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

Ugh WNR why dont you stop?

I remember looking at Western Refining's junk bonds when they were at 70.

Now that they're at 170 I am filled with rage.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hobologist posted:

If you think that's bad, I specifically thought about buying CLF upside calls yesterday before earnings. 95's were 1.35 and 100's were .31.

Last trades were 5.60 and 1.10, respectively. :suicide: In retrospect, I can't remember why I passed.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

If you think that's bad, I specifically thought about buying CLF upside calls yesterday before earnings. 95's were 1.35 and 100's were .31.

Last trades were 5.60 and 1.10, respectively. :suicide: In retrospect, I can't remember why I passed.

No, I think mine's still worse. Valuing bonds gives a lot more certainty than playing earnings. Or so my other bond purchases have led me to believe.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Do agriculture stocks rise with food prices the same way mining companies rise with metal prices? I bought CORN last week but I'm really unfamiliar with this part of the market.

Also hows shorting PMs working out for everyone?? :smugdog:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pram posted:

Do agriculture stocks rise with food prices the same way mining companies rise with metal prices? I bought CORN last week but I'm really unfamiliar with this part of the market.
Generally speaking, yes. People usually talk about fertilizer stocks like POT, MOS, and AGU, but see the run-up of ag stocks in 2006-08, and mid 2010-now.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Any thoughts on GLW? I'm up over 15%, but I don't see it dropping with the way mobile devices and tablets are going and its good P/E ratio right now. Any inclinations that it could be peaking besides its at its 52 week high?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So...uh...did anyone have any WTW??

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

drat, you, SBGI. You lured me into your financial statements for hours only to reveal that your free cash flow is inadequate for my needs. I do hate to waste research.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Hobologist posted:

Im glad Im not the only one.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What do you all think about KO? It's undervalued, but will increasing commodity prices force it to raise prices and thus lose business?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I am under the impression that you would be buying KO for the dividend, aside from acquiring whatever specialty drink makers it can, it does not have huge growth prospects.

Edit: Its a solid company, its not going anywhere, the dividend is solid, you could take it into retirement.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 18, 2011

Fiesty Francis
Apr 7, 2005

At least if I'd studied literature I might be able to spell `feisty'

Pram posted:

Also hows shorting PMs working out for everyone?? :smugdog:

Your risk with Ag producers is that you're exposed to weather effecting crop yields, a crappy harvest will push down Producers, and push up prices.

If you're betting on rising food prices you may want to think about the commodity directly.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Fiesty Francis posted:

Your risk with Ag producers is that you're exposed to weather effecting crop yields, a crappy harvest will push down Producers, and push up prices.

If you're betting on rising food prices you may want to think about the commodity directly.

oh CORN(china) why you do this to me.

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way
Are there any decent moderated message boards related to general stock discussion that aren't Yahoo Finance?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Scrooged posted:

Are there any decent moderated message boards related to general stock discussion that aren't Yahoo Finance?

http://www.hotstockmarket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Weed out the people doing high risk option plays, aka 80% and you are good

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Christobevii3 posted:

http://www.hotstockmarket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Weed out the people doing high risk option plays, aka 80% and you are good

The historical reviews are excellent:

Originally Posted by jesus
Watchn AAPL in at 52.90 waiting for positive news on Wednesday,way oversold.May run to 60 I,m tempted by the dark side to get 10 call options Hey chan care for a wager

7/17/06 at 4:32pm by Chan
My bet is you won't see me trade against the trend
You want an opinion? won't get through 58 and It will eventually fall to the 36 level

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Hey guys, I'm just wondering what good stocks are out there with longterm stability and solid dividends?

What suggestions do you guys have, and what should I be looking for? I know the safe bet is generally utilities, are there any standout ones?

My investment journey began when I turned 18 and bought C, then watched in horror as my first and only stock bottomed out to a dollar, so I'm kind of skittish when it comes to direct stock investing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I like CEFs, check CEFConnect.com or CEFA.com

There are a lot that even pay tax free monthly dividends that are based on bonds that can get north of 5% easy.