Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Well speaking personally, Tony is the absolutely most professional person I've ever met. He goes nuts making sure things are done right, to the point of really stressing out. Pat is the least conceited and most natural guy, for all he's done from the Misters to today in KC. Of the other current members I only know Robert (via participating in GC), and explaining Robert to strangers is not something I'm either smart enough or dumb enough to assay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Weigel to Pitchfork on trying to assemble his prog book: "It was harder talking to some of the artists. I remember emailing [King Crimson’s] Robert Fripp this whole pitch and saying, “I’m not just going to ask you questions like: What was it like being in a band?” Within a couple of hours, I got an email back from him, and it just said, “Dear David, what was it like being in a band? Dreadful.”"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
JFC Robert just posted a minor Jeremiad on his diary about his views on equal shares.

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/Thursday%2014th.%20July,%202017

I've already discussed this with a few Crafties and this is 200% pure Robert.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

JFC Robert just posted a minor Jeremiad on his diary about his views on equal shares.

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/Thursday%2014th.%20July,%202017

I've already discussed this with a few Crafties and this is 200% pure Robert.

It seems to have been deleted. What was the gist of it?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Seems it was edited.

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/RF_diary_2017_July_13

New link. Looks ... Same.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

I love Fripp's music, but goddamn how he writes is insufferable.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I love it

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Colonel J posted:

I love Fripp's music, but goddamn how he writes is insufferable.

I have to agree. It's probably what King Crimson would read like in prose form.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

It's like a hyper-pretentious British musical version of a Dr. Bronner soap bottle

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Really? I think it's the opposite of pretension. He uses a lot of shorthand in his blog but I'd never call it pretentious.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Okay, I was hoping someone else would ask first, but I'll bite.

I don't follow behind-the-scenes stuff except odds'n'ends that come my way at random. So when this Fripp-Belew thing where they're apparently bickering was mentioned here, it was new to me. Curious, I went to Google but without success.

Can someone summarize what's going on in a Reader's Digest condensed version? Or maybe link to a web page that explains it in a somewhat impartial manner? It seems there's a bit more to it than just Adrian being butthurt because he's not one of the cool kids anymore?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Milwaukee the Sunday after Thanksgiving? Nice, I missed them last month because I was out of town but that's a reasonable drive.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Just explaining what made Robert take Crimson out again would be a huge post. My personal summary is: Robert thinks of life in 7-year phases, with changes between them. He felt a desire for 'completion' for a variety of activities, such as Guitar Craft/Circle also King Crimson. He entertained reforming the group with Wetton on bass but it didn't pan out (there are photos of them meeting in Robert's kitchen).

After settling the various copyright lawsuits, Robert was ready. It seems that Robert decided he wanted a Crimson that was totally focussed on the music and had no 'front man' so he told Ade he was not invited to be an active member. Robert apparently tried to say Adrian wasn't fired and could be considered an inactive-but-still-in-the-band member. In response he claims Adrian then quit KC.

Re:no front man - Robert went as far as sticking the drummers in front. Nobody in that band is any more important than anyone else - Robert finally has a band that is an ensemble with no prima donnas to argue with him. He says he's enjoying touring for basically the first time in his life.

Re: lyrics. In 2014 when the band started performing, they played a mix of old and new KC songs, but not one syllable of Belew lyrics. Some of us hypothesized at the time that there was some kind of agreement between Robert and Ade that "only Ade could sing Ade's lyrics" but it was just guessing. The band kept touring in 2015 and 2016 and no Belew lyrics until the last Europe tour when Jakko started singing Indiscipline.

Recently Ade was asked in an interview what he thought of Jakko's version and basically said "I thought we had an agreement", which has provoked these replies from David Singleton and Robert on FB and on blogs.

I'd rather gnaw my arm off than ask Robert about this (and he'd ignore me asking) but I'm pretty sure I'll be hearing at least something about this at TOAPP camp in August, some moron will ask Ade about his views (not me though).

Ade's 'de-facto manager' is his wife Martha, incidentally. She's pretty hard-nosed with respect to business.

I really can't go much further into detail as some explanations kind of only make sense if you have some experience with Guitar Craft and Robert. Suffice it to say I feel Robert's diary post is actually a kind of olive branch in a way. He's explained his position and wants people to understand his view that nobody in the band can be more important or more rewarded than any other, and if that's unacceptable to anyone, then they can't be part of the band. I guarantee you this discord upsets him deeply.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
On that subject, the only disappointment I faced when I saw KC in Oakland was Jakko's Indiscipline. I don't think his super melodic sung approach to it fits the mood or lyrical content at all. I was really hoping they'd play Indiscipline, it's one of my favourite KC songs, but the new version just doesn't work.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Thanks for the rundown on that, to the extent that you're able to comment.

I've been following both men's careers for longer than I'd care to admit, even if only in a casual, "trying to notice when they do something new" kind of way. It would be nice to think that if the two ran across each other, say, in a hotel bar or somesuch, they could at least sit down and have a drink and a couple of laughs for old times' sake.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Cymbal Monkey posted:

On that subject, the only disappointment I faced when I saw KC in Oakland was Jakko's Indiscipline. I don't think his super melodic sung approach to it fits the mood or lyrical content at all. I was really hoping they'd play Indiscipline, it's one of my favourite KC songs, but the new version just doesn't work.

I polled a lot of friends and one guy likes the new version as 'innovative', the rest no.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

From FB from an attendee at a preconcert talk on the current tour:

"Just learned in the Q&A that in 2013 a Jakko/Wetton/Harrison/Collins was in production. Got halted because of the Asia tour and the rest you know. Fallen Angel came to repertoire because it was being recorded by them."

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Rust Martialis posted:

Just explaining what made Robert take Crimson out again would be a huge post. My personal summary is: Robert thinks of life in 7-year phases, with changes between them. He felt a desire for 'completion' for a variety of activities, such as Guitar Craft/Circle also King Crimson. He entertained reforming the group with Wetton on bass but it didn't pan out (there are photos of them meeting in Robert's kitchen).

After settling the various copyright lawsuits, Robert was ready. It seems that Robert decided he wanted a Crimson that was totally focussed on the music and had no 'front man' so he told Ade he was not invited to be an active member. Robert apparently tried to say Adrian wasn't fired and could be considered an inactive-but-still-in-the-band member. In response he claims Adrian then quit KC.

Re:no front man - Robert went as far as sticking the drummers in front. Nobody in that band is any more important than anyone else - Robert finally has a band that is an ensemble with no prima donnas to argue with him. He says he's enjoying touring for basically the first time in his life.

Re: lyrics. In 2014 when the band started performing, they played a mix of old and new KC songs, but not one syllable of Belew lyrics. Some of us hypothesized at the time that there was some kind of agreement between Robert and Ade that "only Ade could sing Ade's lyrics" but it was just guessing. The band kept touring in 2015 and 2016 and no Belew lyrics until the last Europe tour when Jakko started singing Indiscipline.

Recently Ade was asked in an interview what he thought of Jakko's version and basically said "I thought we had an agreement", which has provoked these replies from David Singleton and Robert on FB and on blogs.

I'd rather gnaw my arm off than ask Robert about this (and he'd ignore me asking) but I'm pretty sure I'll be hearing at least something about this at TOAPP camp in August, some moron will ask Ade about his views (not me though).

Ade's 'de-facto manager' is his wife Martha, incidentally. She's pretty hard-nosed with respect to business.

I really can't go much further into detail as some explanations kind of only make sense if you have some experience with Guitar Craft and Robert. Suffice it to say I feel Robert's diary post is actually a kind of olive branch in a way. He's explained his position and wants people to understand his view that nobody in the band can be more important or more rewarded than any other, and if that's unacceptable to anyone, then they can't be part of the band. I guarantee you this discord upsets him deeply.

Fripp handled it badly. If a member of a band, particularly one as talented as Ade, still wants to be part of it you better have a drat good reason for firing them. And that's exactly what he did, make no bones about it. I still can't understand why they couldn't have just stuck Ade in the back behind the drummers. I could understand him firing Ade because he refused to perform the old material or move on with this new project Fripp envisioned, but was Adrian really that much of a prima that he insisted on being a frontman? Somehow I doubt it. He could have had Ade and Jakko to share vocal duties. Vocal harmonies in Crimson songs would have been something new and interesting. Or, even better, invited multiple singers from Crimson's past for guest spots. It would have been cool seeing Greg Lake with King Crimson one last time before he died. Alas, I think Fripp still held a grudge with Lake even after these years right up to the end. But maybe something could have been worked out with John Wetton before he died. Sucks that they both died within mere weeks of each other.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 20, 2017

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

In this incarnation of Crimson I just don't think Ade would be a good fit on stage. He is irrepressible in his joy playing live.

Beyond that I'd be trying to crystal-ball into the heads of people I know and like personally so I'd prefer to draw a line.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

Fripp handled it badly. If a member of a band, particularly one as talented as Ade, still wants to be part of it you better have a drat good reason for firing them. And that's exactly what he did, make no bones about it. I still can't understand why they couldn't have just stuck Ade in the back behind the drummers.

That last post by Fripp seemed to say that it was also a money issue, implying that Belew, being a front man, wanted half of their earnings rather than splitting it evenly among all musicians. though it's not clear that Belew actually made any such demand

quote:

It would have been cool seeing Greg Lake with King Crimson one last time before he died.

Greg Lake was a great singer when he was with KC and on the early ELP albums, but his voice went to crap sometime in the 80's. I think it would have been disappointing

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

There are historical Fripp posts where he agreed that the equal-shares setup was unfair to Adrian so it has come up at some point.

As I understand it the plan in 1981 was that everyone would be involved in writing the music. Fripp allegedly offered to bring in a lyricist and this offer was rejected by Ade.

So you end up with a situation where Ade did most of the songwriting and all of the lyrics, but got an equal share.

I suspect Martha has, over the years, acting as Ade's manager, brought the topic up.

One possible issue with Indiscipline is also that the lyrics are taken from a letter to Ade from his former wife Margaret, who just passed away in May 2017.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

One possible issue with Indiscipline is also that the lyrics are taken from a letter to Ade from his former wife Margaret, who just passed away in May 2017.

That's really cool, I didn't know that. What a great song.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Earwicker posted:

Greg Lake was a great singer when he was with KC and on the early ELP albums, but his voice went to crap sometime in the 80's. I think it would have been disappointing

His voice didn't get THAT bad, just deeper and more husky. In fact his voice started to change around the time he toured with Asia. He literally started to sound like John Wetton. And, like I said, I don't think they they should have brought him on full time, just as a guest spot for a song or two.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

That's really cool, I didn't know that. What a great song.

Yeah she was a sculptor and the letter was about some piece she'd done and gotten oddly attached to. She's listed as co-lyricist with Ade on the song.

"The more I look at it.... The more I like it..."

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Has anyone seen any of the variations of Yes that are touring? It looks like, near me, there is "Yes" which is the most modern incarnation, as well as "Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman" which is more of a classic lineup. Is either one worth seeing at this point, or is it all a half-assed cash grab so you can say you saw Yes play a truncated version of one movement of Close to the Edge?

It looks like "Yes" is touring with Carl Palmer's ELP Experience, which also seems like it'd be cool except no one's there to see ELP for the drumming

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

Has anyone seen any of the variations of Yes that are touring? It looks like, near me, there is "Yes" which is the most modern incarnation, as well as "Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman" which is more of a classic lineup. Is either one worth seeing at this point, or is it all a half-assed cash grab so you can say you saw Yes play a truncated version of one movement of Close to the Edge?

It looks like "Yes" is touring with Carl Palmer's ELP Experience, which also seems like it'd be cool except no one's there to see ELP for the drumming

I've seen the modern one and they were great, but Chris Squire was still alive.

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

SgtScruffy posted:

Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman is very good. They've got a great bass player and drummer and they open most nights with Perpetual Change. It rules.

I haven't seen "Yes" since Chris Squire died and Steve Howe's current desire to never use anything other than the cleanest sound he can get has a tendency to suck a lot of the energy out of the performances.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Howe and White's playing has suffered over the years. I'd go see ARW but I won't see Yes again in their current incarnation

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Saw Yes in 2015 a couple of months after Squire's death.

Weird that the first voice you heard at that time for their shows was Anderson's - they opened with a recording on Onward. Howe was great that night and definitely the highlight of the show. Jon Davison was OK. Sherwood and White didn't do anything to stand out. They played Time and a Word, so that was nice. Tempus Fugit was very good. America was not.

Toto opened for them, so Yes was definitely the best band of the night.

Can't rate it as the worst half-assed cash grab I've ever seen, since I've seen Mike Love's Beach Boys, and that's a whole-assed cash grab.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

If you've ever wanted to watch Brian May jam the gently caress out of Starship Trooper, have I got a video for you! May starts around 5:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvHr7WCWofQ

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

we need a time warrior to go back in time and delete the "Orch Hit" patch on all of Rick Wakeman's keyboards. jfc

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Earwicker posted:

we need a time warrior to go back in time and delete the "Orch Hit" patch on all of Rick Wakeman's keyboards. jfc

Counterpoint: orchestra hit patches are the best and I love them

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tsaedje posted:

Counterpoint: orchestra hit patches are the best and I love them
Children of Bodom built an entire career on the back of Janne Wirman's orchestra hit patch

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I never knew there was a name for that but now I'm glad to know

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I've been cranking ABWH in the car for the last week and I'm still convinced that it's direly underrated. It's cheesy but there are some transcendent moments like "Brother of Mine," especially the last few minutes, and one of my favorite tracks ever, "Order of the Universe" which just kicks all kinds of rear end throughout. It just seems like everything is turned way up, especially Rick Wakeman's insane but catchy keyboard flourishes. The only flaw is that the single version of "I'm Alive" isn't on there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chvgiqobqYc
Am I a big sentimental dope for liking this?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

4d3d3d posted:

Am I a big sentimental dope for liking this?

Yes, but that's not a bad thing.

I apparently heard Brother of Mine on the radio once as a kid and spent ages (once I had internet access in college) trying to find out what Yes song it was. Never quite did. Then I wind up finding a copy of ABWH at my local half-price, put it on, and welp, there it is. Unless I was hallucinating a completely different song at age seven.

I do rather like the record, but I'm on the record as often liking prog more when it doesn't shy away from pop music in one way or another, be it in production, instrumentation, song structure...

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

ABWH came out when I was 5, and my dad blasted that poo poo nonstop when I was a kid because it was the closest thing to new Yes music he could get. It's my most formative/sentimental album as a result. Brother of Mine is part of my DNA at this point

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

I do rather like the record, but I'm on the record as often liking prog more when it doesn't shy away from pop music in one way or another, be it in production, instrumentation, song structure...

I agree in that I love some of Yes' and Genesis' actual straight up pop songs as well as some solo Phil Collins tunes. but personally I can't stomach the AWBH stuff, not because it's poppy but because it's just so overwhelmingly saccharine.

I can see being into it if you hear it as a kid though. I have a huge love for a certain Alan Parsons Project album that I feel like has aged really terribly and probably just sound like Bad Music to most people but I have a lot of sentimental attachment to it

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I didn't get into Yes until I was in my 20s but I still fall for the sentimental stuff. I think it's Jon Anderson, who is maybe the only guy capable of pulling off music like that. I even love a lot of his solo stuff, a lot of which is really saccharine. I mean, this is all great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwoWIKaq7_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5W25iQCYEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAS3NU1OjdM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Earwicker posted:

I agree in that I love some of Yes' and Genesis' actual straight up pop songs as well as some solo Phil Collins tunes. but personally I can't stomach the AWBH stuff, not because it's poppy but because it's just so overwhelmingly saccharine.

I can see being into it if you hear it as a kid though. I have a huge love for a certain Alan Parsons Project album that I feel like has aged really terribly and probably just sound like Bad Music to most people but I have a lot of sentimental attachment to it

I dunno I think The Turn of a Friendly Card and Eye in the Sky are decent enough albums