Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Should I replace my green shag rug with a red Persianish one?

I've had the green one for half a year (because I wanted to add some more warmth and softness to the room), but I'm getting tired of it. It's just too green.

The red one looks a bit more classic and serious. It's less than € 50 from IKEA, just like the green one, so I can replace it again if it turns out I don't like it any more in half a year.

I know this is something that only I can really decide, but does anyone else have strong opinions (like how I never should have bought the green one) about this?

(ugly rear end orange curtains are very near the top of the list of stuff that has to go too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

EricBauman posted:

Should I replace my green shag rug with a red Persianish one?

I've had the green one for half a year (because I wanted to add some more warmth and softness to the room), but I'm getting tired of it. It's just too green.

The red one looks a bit more classic and serious. It's less than € 50 from IKEA, just like the green one, so I can replace it again if it turns out I don't like it any more in half a year.

I know this is something that only I can really decide, but does anyone else have strong opinions (like how I never should have bought the green one) about this?

I don't think the "classic-ness" of the red rug goes well with the rest of your furniture. The green one is rather strong too, but stylistically still fits better. Have you considered a more neutral, light gray one?

If you do decide to go for the red rug, you should probably also get a new table, probably something oval in dark wood.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

nielsm posted:

I don't think the "classic-ness" of the red rug goes well with the rest of your furniture. The green one is rather strong too, but stylistically still fits better. Have you considered a more neutral, light gray one?

If you do decide to go for the red rug, you should probably also get a new table, probably something oval in dark wood.

I agree. You don't really have any furniture that matches the red rug, and while the green one is aggressively green, the design goes well with your stuff. One like that in a slightly less overpowering color would look awesome.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

nielsm posted:

That thing about the table is actually a really good point, thanks!

Would you still say none of my furniture goes with the red rug if you see it from this perspective?

Maybe I have less an eye for it than I previously thought, but I think it goes well with the blue couch, depending on how red it really is. It might be a little bit too busy, though, but that too depends on what it looks like in person. I'll probably go see what it looks like in the store and get it. If I don't like it, I can always return it. Or maybe I'll see a grey or beige one that suddenly strikes me.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It does look a little better in the second picture.

On the one hand the current rug is viciously green and it would be hard to pick something that looked worse. On the other hand, what's the point of buying another rug if it still doesn't look the way you want?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I like the green one.

Personally I hate furniture that looks like everybody else's furniture.

The green rug is like, "wow, nice green rug!". Maybe not everybody likes it, but at least it doesn't blend in... tan on tan on tan.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EricBauman posted:

That thing about the table is actually a really good point, thanks!

Would you still say none of my furniture goes with the red rug if you see it from this perspective?

Maybe I have less an eye for it than I previously thought, but I think it goes well with the blue couch, depending on how red it really is. It might be a little bit too busy, though, but that too depends on what it looks like in person. I'll probably go see what it looks like in the store and get it. If I don't like it, I can always return it. Or maybe I'll see a grey or beige one that suddenly strikes me.

The red looks 100x better than the green........in every pic.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I like the green, but I love aggressive home decor colors. I have an orange couch - think Nickelodeon- but it works because I added a throw and some pillows that tie it to other things in the room. I think you should do that - find some art, throw pillows, or a blanket that has that green color in them, and incorporate them other places in the room.

Here's a super quick mockup. You have a lot of really different styles and colors going on, it might be easier on the eyes to just pick one key thing (in this case, the rug) and use that to inspire some of the other stuff in the room.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I think I'm going to look for new curtains first, based mostly on what's available, and then think about the carpet again. Because I hate the curtains even more than the carpet. Maybe having non-organey curtains makes the green look less lovely. Or maybe it doesn't, but then I'll have new curtains that I can tie into my choice of rug.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Why do so many people poo poo on IKEA?

I really love my Mandal bedframe, it's the only platform bed I could find that didn't cost a small fortune. Their PS 2014 collection seems really awesome too.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 19, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Elderbean posted:

Why do so many people poo poo on IKEA?

I really love my Mandal bedframe, it's the only platform bed I could find that didn't cost a small fortune. Their PS 2014 collection seems really awesome too.

Not sure, granted not everything they have is spectacular but stuff in a similar style is impossible unless you want to go broke.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know, I rather like most of their stuff.

If I had to guess... the affordability and modern style makes it ubiquitous among our general demographic group to the point it has sort of a 'My First Real Apartment' vibe going on? Particularly given that IKEA furniture is usually quite easily recognizable.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

hailthefish posted:

I don't know, I rather like most of their stuff.

If I had to guess... the affordability and modern style makes it ubiquitous among our general demographic group to the point it has sort of a 'My First Real Apartment' vibe going on? Particularly given that IKEA furniture is usually quite easily recognizable.

This is why I avoid it, for the most part. When I was in school/recently graduated, a lot of my friends lived in similar apartments (same neighborhood or even same building) so the layouts were the same. Then everyone went and got Billy bookcases, whatever that white couch is that's the cheapest, and a bunch of decor that was all the same.

Hanging out with your friends was just seeing your own furniture, rearranged.

It's great for basics (we have several bookshelves and a couple chairs), but I feel compelled to mix in some antiques or thrifted stuff just so that my house doesn't look like a lovely, messy Ikea showroom.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I dont get why people are down on IKEA. I like the look of modern furniture substantially more than worn antiques. I'll take some clean solid lines any day!

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I dont get why people are down on IKEA. I like the look of modern furniture substantially more than worn antiques. I'll take some clean solid lines any day!

IKEA is fine if you know its limitations. I wouldn't go there for another unit with drawers; they just don't stand up to regular use. But I just got an IKEA couch, and it's sturdy and comfortable (and far cheaper than a comparable couch at most other retailers).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I say go max out on IKEA. Start cheap, start simple, then branch out on customizing things. Young people ought to save money for their bit coin rigs anyway.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

We are moving into a new place soon, any advice on keeping the landlord from eating up our deposit? I took pictures of everything when we moved in. It is a trailer from the 70s that has sustained some water damage in the kitchen from the roof leaking, and i am afraid they will pretend that poo poo is our fault. We are going to clean this poo poo top to bottom before we go- is the landlord able to keep any of the deposit by claiming that it was used for cleaning purposes?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Tasty_Crayon posted:

We are moving into a new place soon, any advice on keeping the landlord from eating up our deposit? I took pictures of everything when we moved in. It is a trailer from the 70s that has sustained some water damage in the kitchen from the roof leaking, and i am afraid they will pretend that poo poo is our fault. We are going to clean this poo poo top to bottom before we go- is the landlord able to keep any of the deposit by claiming that it was used for cleaning purposes?

Before you move out, send a certified letter return receipt instructing him where to return the deposit, informing him of your last day of occupancy, and requesting that he make himself available for a walkthrough inspection. Follow up with a phone call to schedule. Its best that you perform the walkthrough after you've cleaned and removed the majority of your belongings. You can find a boilerplate inspection checklist online if you didn't use one when you moved in. If he's present, have him sign it. If not, mail him a copy with return postage requesting a signature. Then leave the issue alone entirely for 14/30/xx days depending on your jurisdiction. In many/most places, a landlord forfeits his right to withhold any portion of a deposit if they don't return to you the full amount or partial/zero along with an itemized list of deductions within the specified period. In many jurisdictions, you can often sue for some multiple of, usually double, the deposit as damages if they fail to meet this obligation.

Unfortunately, if they withhold all or part of your likely small deposit, it'll be exceedingly difficult for you to get it back. Even if you sue and win a judgment, collecting can be costly and difficult.

To give you an idea, I sued and won a judgment against my former landlord for 100% of the deposit plus court costs. I filed a lien (a few more $$ out of my pocket) against his home and his rental property, which means I'll get paid if he ever wants to sell them. Until then, I can try to organize a sheriff sale of his personal property (a couple hundred $, but recoverable during a successful sale), but he'd have to be home and willingly open the door when the sheriff tries to perform an inventory/levy. If his car is in the driveway, maybe that can be levied for a sale. My sheriff's office has been really unhelpful. You get the idea.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

That's what i am afraid of, and thanks for the tips.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Pictures are good, but take a video as well. Narrate the video. When you move out, you can watch the video and hear yourself literally say everything that was wrong with the place when you moved in.

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST
Alright so shipping large, heavy boxes is expensive... is there a carrier or method that might be a bit better? I pretty much am only going to be shipping clothing and a some personal items (printer, books, some kitchen things). Reason why I'm going this route is that I'm moving out of my current place in New Orleans now, selling my car, leaving for Europe for the summer, traveling back to Seattle, then driving a different car down to Winston-Salem to start school. We have friends in NC that could hold onto the packages in the interim.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

deadwing posted:

Just got the first renewal notice for the apartment that I'm currently living in (and love), and my rent didn't go up a single cent. This is the same place that due to my credit score and rental history, I didn't need to put down any deposit at all on move-in.

Have I finally found Apartment Paradise, after so many hovels?

They called me back a couple days ago after renewing my lease.

I get a free professional carpet cleaning since I renewed. :aaaaa: What the gently caress kind of complex did I find and why would I ever leave

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

deadwing posted:

They called me back a couple days ago after renewing my lease.

I get a free professional carpet cleaning since I renewed. :aaaaa: What the gently caress kind of complex did I find and why would I ever leave

Similar situation here. No deposit, no rent increase on renewal, and I got my choice of carpet cleaning, a nicer lighting fixture something-or-other, or one wall painted a new color.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Has the landlord done anything to lead you to believe that they will eat up your deposit?

Did you fill out some kind of form when you moved in listing pre-existing conditions? Did you and the landlord both sign it? Did you keep a copy?

If not (and I'm assuming not, because you didn't mention it), is there a way to verify the date of the photos? Is there a newspaper in them? Is your moving truck in them? Is there snow on the ground? Is there *anything* to hint at a date? It is my experience that most judges were born in the 1800s and "EXIF data" is way beyond them.

The lesson here is that next time, do the existing condition form and have it signed by both of you.

goku chewbacca posted:

Unfortunately, if they withhold all or part of your likely small deposit, it'll be exceedingly difficult for you to get it back. Even if you sue and win a judgment, collecting can be costly and difficult.
In general, the landlord has a lot more to lose than the tenant. The landlord is collectable (i.e. file a lien), the tenant is not (if they owned property, they wouldn't be a tenant).

goku chewbacca posted:

To give you an idea, I sued and won a judgment against my former landlord for 100% of the deposit plus court costs. I filed a lien (a few more $$ out of my pocket) against his home and his rental property, which means I'll get paid if he ever wants to sell them. Until then, I can try to organize a sheriff sale of his personal property (a couple hundred $, but recoverable during a successful sale), but he'd have to be home and willingly open the door when the sheriff tries to perform an inventory/levy. If his car is in the driveway, maybe that can be levied for a sale. My sheriff's office has been really unhelpful. You get the idea.
Just so you know you have other options, you can also "forgive" the debt, and the landlord will have to pay taxes on the debt you've forgiven.

I think it's in your best interest to keep the debt on the books - he can't own the property forever!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I need china barrels and wardrobe boxes and can't find any in pack/ship stores around here. Are there good online stores to get specialty boxes?

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I need china barrels and wardrobe boxes and can't find any in pack/ship stores around here. Are there good online stores to get specialty boxes?

UHAUL sells them and if you don't use some for some reason you can return them for a refund, also any moving company will sell them. Lowes and Home Depot as well.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 22, 2014

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Straithate posted:

UHAUL sells them and if you don't use some for some reason you can return them for a refund, also any moving company will sell them. Lowes and Home Depot as well.

I have never seen boxes other than the standard small/medium/large square ones at Lowe's and Home Depot. I'll try to find a UHAUL this weekend and see what they've got though.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have never seen boxes other than the standard small/medium/large square ones at Lowe's and Home Depot. I'll try to find a UHAUL this weekend and see what they've got though.

I've used these for a recent move:
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Clothing-moving-boxes/Grand-Wardrobe-Box?id=6560
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Clothing-moving-boxes/Shorty-Wardrobe-Box?id=3269
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Kitchen-moving-boxes/Dish-Saver-Kit?id=2577
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Kitchen-moving-boxes/Cell-Kit?id=2424

All worked well.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Last time I moved my Home Depot had every type of box imaginable... Maybe it is a store to store type thing?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Straithate posted:

Last time I moved my Home Depot had every type of box imaginable... Maybe it is a store to store type thing?

I think it's because my last two moves (and this one) were in college towns. College kids just want $1 boxes and won't be buying china barrels and other specialty boxes so stores don't usually stock them.

Either that or I just didn't look hard enough. I'll take a more thorough look this weekend.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Go online and order ahead and have them waiting for you at the front counter :3:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I let my landlord know I was not renewing my lease, and she responded asking if I could conduct showings. I'm really busy trying to pack/move/quit my job/house hunt in a different state, so I'd really rather not have that responsibility on top of everything else I'm trying to do.

Is this a normal thing to have current tenants do showings for prospective tenants? I don't think it is, but this is a private landlord with questionable management techniques.

(also I found a UHAUL that had china barrels and wardrobe boxes, unfortunately the wardrobe boxes are all too big to fit in my car so I have to borrow a car and go back for them)

brosmike
Jun 26, 2009
No, that is not normal, and not your job. It is normal for you to allow the landlord to perform showings before you move out, with notice beforehand (usually a day to a week, depending on your state and the terms of your lease).

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

brosmike posted:

No, that is not normal, and not your job. It is normal for you to allow the landlord to perform showings before you move out, with notice beforehand (usually a day to a week, depending on your state and the terms of your lease).

Her excuse is that she lives 30 miles one way from my place (but has no problems asking me to drive the same 30 miles to her house to drop off a rent check). I didn't get a showing had to let myself in and do all the walkthroughs myself when I moved in so I'm kinda put out that I'm expected to do things that weren't done for me when I moved in. I'm going to double check my lease to make sure she didn't sneak in a clause about doing showings then email her back telling her that no, I can't do showings.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It depends on what your lease says. Some leases have a showing clause up to a certain number of days after termination notice.

I dealt with this at my last place. I had it specifically written in to the lease that there would be no showings until the final 30 days.

Of course, my dickhead landlord started repeatedly asking for showings starting at 90 days out, and I refused every single one. Sorry, it's not my job to help you sell your condo.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Showings are kind of a long story.

There is probably a clause in the lease that says you'll allow showings in your last 30 days.

It would generally be done by the landlord, who would have a key and let someone in.

You can disallow them, but if you signed your lease saying you would allow them, then your disallowing them could be a cause of lost rent, and the landlord could collect this lost rent from you.

You might consider allowing the landlord to do showings, but telling her you're too busy to do them yourself (unless you agreed to do them in the lease).

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

photomikey posted:

Showings are kind of a long story.

There is probably a clause in the lease that says you'll allow showings in your last 30 days.

It would generally be done by the landlord, who would have a key and let someone in.

You can disallow them, but if you signed your lease saying you would allow them, then your disallowing them could be a cause of lost rent, and the landlord could collect this lost rent from you.

You might consider allowing the landlord to do showings, but telling her you're too busy to do them yourself (unless you agreed to do them in the lease).

Seems to me he's asking if he's obligated to do the showings himself.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Seems to me he's asking if he's obligated to do the showings himself.

Yeah, it's this. The landlord can do them herself if she wants, it's the fact that she's asking me to take my own personal time to do them that rubs me the wrong way. I have a full time job and I'm trying to orchestrate a move to another state in my spare time. I ain't got time for that poo poo.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Yeah, it's this. The landlord can do them herself if she wants, it's the fact that she's asking me to take my own personal time to do them that rubs me the wrong way. I have a full time job and I'm trying to orchestrate a move to another state in my spare time. I ain't got time for that poo poo.

++. tell her no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Ask her for a finder's fee or commission. One month's rent?