Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, I mean, what are you suggesting? That the truck went down the dunes but Hammond wasn't in it? Because nobody believes he'd actually do something dangerous?

He would never do anything dangerous, particularly not in unusual configurations of car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

triple clutcher posted:

I'm usually pretty good at suspending disbelief/being clueless during the scripted parts, but watching Hammond 'pilot' the 6x6 over the sand dunes was cringeworthy.

*Hammond screaming in truck with stationary background*
*truck flying off a sand dune*
*truck rolling down sand dune*
*truck driving onto onto level ground*
*Hammond talking about how scary it was while driving away*

Nobody gives a gently caress.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yea if you weren't picturing in your head how awesome it would be to be in that thing in the dessert and focusing on the bullshit, I dont know what to tell you.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Who cares if they did some clever editing to make the segment more exciting - Hammond's already put himself in a coma once from an exploding car, let him take it easy once in a while.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fejsze posted:

I didn't like it. I think mainly because of the squared wheel wells. I think the stock 8c looks way better.

Didn't mythbusters prove that the tablecloth trick was faked? Still fun watching a GTR go 20 feet...

The rear well is a little weird, but I really like the way the body line cuts off the top of the front well. It's a cool look that I haven't seen before. Gorgeous car, I think.

The best part of SIARPC is it's always precisely 11 minutes long.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Dr. Doofenshmirtz uses cameo-inator to combine two excellent television shows

quote:

Clarkson, Hammond and May will be appearing as Grand Prix announcers who go by the dashing names of Adrian, Ian and Nigel, as shown in the equally dashing picture above.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Preoptopus posted:

Yea if you weren't picturing in your head how awesome it would be to be in that thing in the dessert and focusing on the bullshit, I dont know what to tell you.

That's it, really.

You don't (well, you shouldn't) sit through every film, ever, thinking about how fake every last effect or bit of makeup is. It was a fun show.

Talking about fun shows, like Breaking Bad? Don't normally like SIARPC? You're in luck!

Aaron Paul is the guest on the next SIARPC! (At least that's what was just said on BBC Radio 2).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 26, 2014

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

triple clutcher posted:

This is probably how the people who own them imagine themselves driving it, so the review was more accurate than you can imagine.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

triple clutcher posted:

I'm usually pretty good at suspending disbelief/being clueless during the scripted parts, but watching Hammond 'pilot' the 6x6 over the sand dunes was cringeworthy.

Dear Top So-Called Gear,

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

tuna posted:

This is probably how the people who own them imagine themselves driving it, so the review was more accurate than you can imagine.

But it wasn't stationary background. I don't know what that guy is talking about.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Guess who's going to be on Phineas and Ferb this weekend?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guess who can't read a half dozen posts above?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Rhyno posted:

Guess who can't read a half dozen posts above?

That's not gone well.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
I am pretty excited for the 918 on Sunday, even if it won't beat the P1. I love that manufacturers are cramming all sorts of new technology into road cars.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Good Bad Some news! Top Gear will continue on to the future (unless the BBC are colossal clanging idiots so, maybe)

Broadcast posted:

BBC to open Top Gear talks
28 February, 2014 | By Jake Kanter
The BBC is poised to open talks with hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May over another long-term deal for Top Gear.

The BBC2 motoring shows executive producer Andy Wilman told Broadcasts Talking TV that conversations over future series are due to get underway imminently, with the existing three-year agreement expiring in 2015.

It comes after former BBC communications boss Ed Williams claimed that some of the corporations biggest brands, including Top Gear, will reach the end of their natural lives in the next decade. He made the comments in book Is The BBC In Crisis?.

Wilman said: Every deal thats done is done with the notion that the show will be on the floor, scraping the barrelby the time the three years is up. Theres clearly an appetite, its still there. So, well start talking soon.

The producer, who has worked on Top Gear since 2002, said the team havent got an end game plan and no one has told them to bugger off.

He added: When we look stupid or when we think we are flogging a dead horse [well stop], but that hasnt happened this series. Its better than the last series, which was a bit ropey.

On the prospect of a new BBC2 controller, following the announcement that Janice Hadlow is stepping aside, he joked: If they ride a bicycle, or drive a Prius or its Ken Livingston, we are screwed.

The existing Top Gear deal, signed in September 2012, is understood to have netted Wilman and Clarkson millions of pounds after BBC Worldwide took full control of Bedder 6 - the company that held the commercial rights to the show.

The BBC commercial arm already owned 50% of the firm, while Clarkson held a 30% stake and executive producer Andy Wilman fractionally under 20%.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Clarkson has lost his edge.

blah blah blah economy blah blah blah insurance blah blah blah boot space.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Haha, nice Piers Morgan superslam from Clarkson there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

echomadman posted:

Haha, nice Piers Morgan superslam from Clarkson there.

And another, And another.

eeS.
Nov 8, 2005

STUPID AS HELL!!
I've fallen in love with the exhausts on that 918 :swoon:

Can't wait for the P1 vs 918 special now!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

eeS. posted:

Next two episodes are apparently the burma specials, and that's it for this season. Did they say when they are racing the two?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Next two episodes are apparently the burma specials, and that's it for this season. Did they say when they are racing the two?

Some time in june or july when they can get them on the track together.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

eeS. posted:

Yea those exhausts were awesome.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Take the third Reich. :ughh:

I hope that 58 minute long James May bike maintenance documentary is real.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Why would you put toothpaste on your gentleman's area?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Al Gore seemed to enjoy the news

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Boom

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I hope that 58 minute long James May bike maintenance documentary is real.

That was my thought too. I would watch it every night to help slow down the brain, just like with Bob Ross now. He's great for long form perfection.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

twoot posted:

Al Gore seemed to enjoy the news

Goons really are face blind.

That guy looks absolutely nothing like Al Gore.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Shrapnac posted:

Goons really are face blind.

That guy looks absolutely nothing like Al Gore.

It's clearly Senator Dickbag from Iron Man 2

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have to say I laughed really hard at

" C'MON YOU ...

bitch"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Clarkson hydroplaning in the BMW was pretty drat great. The look on his face through the whole thing was perfect.

Pretty good episode. That 918 footage was breathtaking and I certainly can't wait for the episode with both of them.

FogHelmut posted:

What a setup that was. Only May could deliver such a line.

edit

AvesPKS posted:

This confuses me because if they can use Daft Punk, well...why would they use anything other than Daft Punk?

A good point.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Cyclists. Red and Green.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was another great episode. Aaron Paul was great (he always is) and the constant Morgan slamming was wonderful.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Best exhaust ever.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

It needs the audio.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
For some reason the CGI on the Porsche segment really annoyed me, especially the exhaust. Still a good episode though

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I thought the 918 segment was a bit weaker than the P1 segment, but drat if that isnt a sexy car. It will be interesting to see the next generation of hybrid technology getting used in supercars and where it goes from there.

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

For some reason the CGI on the Porsche segment really annoyed me, especially the exhaust. Still a good episode though

Yeah, they're definitely overdid it, poo poo almost looked like a game. On the other hand, maybe that was the effect they were going for.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Loved that episode.

Did anyone else find it interesting that they drove the Porsche at Yas Marina, which is where other reviewers (Chris Harris and Evo) have driven the P1, but they drove the P1 at Spa? Having both cars on the same track (albeit separately and with different drivers) would have been quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

While the first info films just were dumb, this made up for it all. And I was quite surprised at the verdict that cycling isn't that bad except for the buses, I expected something much more negative.