Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Anyone know if the Thursday Night Football stream on Twitter will work in the Samsung web browser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FCKGW posted:

Anyone using an HDHomeRun with an AppleTV? Thinking of picking one up to supplement the DirectvNow service.

Similar question, but with the FireTV? How well is it integrated? I had an HD Homerun ages ago back when I had a full HTPC with XBMC and it was rather awkward trying to add up the channels as different streams. I gave up eventually.

I'm thinking about picking one up again as I have an ancient cable company on the fringes of society and splitting my cable modem produces basic cable (surpisingly with lots of HD more than locals, but not complete) and I would love to have all viewing go through one set top box.

Very curious to hear how it integrates with ATV also as I'd consider moving to that if the experience is great. I only use my FTV for Netflix and Plex. Being an Apple Music subscriber I would make use of that. But I'm getting an Echo for Christmas...nnnngh too many ecosystems.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Anyone using an HDHomeRun with an AppleTV? Thinking of picking one up to supplement the DirectvNow service.

Yup. I've got an HDHomeRun Connect with the Channels tvOS app. Works great and the devs are still actively working on it. It even has a large buffer so you can pause live tv for up to 90, maybe 120 minutes.

They're also working on a DVR solution but I'll believe it when its out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If you've got an HDHR and you want to watch it on your TV, your best bet is probably either an AndroidTV box (Shield/Nexus/Xiaomi) or an AppleTV. Their channels front ends are much better than the loving trash pile that is HDHomerun Viewer. The game consoles are alright in a pinch, but like I said SiliconDust makes garbage apps and opening the streams via DLNA is for virgin weirdos with wireless keyboards on their coffee tables.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

opening the streams via DLNA is for virgin weirdos with wireless keyboards on their coffee tables.

That was me before all of these awesome STBs came out. Had a literal PC in my entertainment unit with the Logitech clamshell remote/mouse that didn't work half the time. Then along came the Boxee Box and changed everything. That sucked but opened the door.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thwomp posted:

Yup. I've got an HDHomeRun Connect with the Channels tvOS app. Works great and the devs are still actively working on it. It even has a large buffer so you can pause live tv for up to 90, maybe 120 minutes.

They're also working on a DVR solution but I'll believe it when its out.

I have the same. It works fantastically on the Apple TV. The Channels app is worth every penny.

On the FireTV side, SiliconDust pulled their "Green" app. You can get the "Grey" app via ES File Explorer side loading, but it's a heap of poo poo and doesn't work right with the HDHR Connect. DLNA doesn't work right either with the HDHR Connect if you wanted to go that route. I don't know about the 3rd party apps available, but there doesn't seem to be anything of tvOS Channels level of quality.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

I am, I dusted off my HDHR Extend when I got DTV Now.

The app you want for the Apple TV is called Channels. https://getchannels.com/tv/ It is not free - it's $25 USD in fact - but it is worth it. It's the best OTA app I've seen on any platform and I have used more than a few over the years. It includes a full grid-guide style view (there are other options if you prefer), the guide data is up to date and accurate, and overall it looks and fits right in with the Apple TV aesthetic (and DTV Now for that matter).

Couple things you need to be aware of:

Silicon Dust is known to accidentally break the app with some updates, because they don't do QA against 3rd party apps. Best to keep tabs on the forums before you update (this isn't a huge issue because SD doesn't update that often and it is a manual process). You also don't have to use an SD device; the Channels page lists compatible tuners (though the SD HDHR Extend is by far the most popular one).

DVR is in early stages for Channels. Right now it supports live TV pause, rewind, and FF for OTA channels (by catching data locally) but full DVR/scheduled recording is still being worked on. They'll have a beta out in a month or two. If it's as good as the rest of the app it'll be worth the wait.

Edit: Wow, ninja'd on the next page :) Well, at least we all know what the best TV app for ATV is.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Also seconding TheScott2K on Android TV - on my Shields I use Google Live Channels, which is free and also very good (though Channels for the ATV is better).

That is pretty much it these days, FTV has awful (or no) live channel-like apps and the HDHR apps, to the degree they are even still a thing, are indeed terrible and have been for years.

What this boils down to is if you want DTV Now and good local channel support the ATV is it at the moment, since DTV Now doesn't support Android TV yet. Hopefully that will happen in the next few months. I know the Roku is next on their list so we'll see.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thanks guys. My plan was to use ATV and Channels for live stuff. I can use Usenet or Plex DVR for recorded shows.

I'm wondering how well an HDHomeRun would work in an attic that gets really hot in the summer. I already have power and an Ethernet switch up there for some IP cams, leaving the box up there with the antenna would be easier than running a new coax drop.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TraderStav posted:

That was me before all of these awesome STBs came out. Had a literal PC in my entertainment unit with the Logitech clamshell remote/mouse that didn't work half the time. Then along came the Boxee Box and changed everything. That sucked but opened the door.

Yea I was that guy too. Those years between HD content being too big for an Xbox running XBMC and actually-good frontends coming out for HTPCs were rough. It's part of why I dump so hard on people who still run HTPCs - the compromises involved with plugging a little box into your TV are so minimal-to-nonexistent now.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Thanks guys. My plan was to use ATV and Channels for live stuff. I can use Usenet or Plex DVR for recorded shows.

I'm wondering how well an HDHomeRun would work in an attic that gets really hot in the summer. I already have power and an Ethernet switch up there for some IP cams, leaving the box up there with the antenna would be easier than running a new coax drop.

The Extend has a fan but it can get fairly hot on its own since it does encoding on-board (early models had an overheating problem in fact). I don't know how well it would hold up in your attic but in mine in the Texas summer it wouldn't stand a chance. Unless you are far up North I wouldn't risk it; even more temperate areas can get hot enough to heat an attic above 120F.

Attic antenna is a good idea though, maybe find a way to run coax 1 floor down? If you don't have some up there already. It doesn't need to be next to the HDHR.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

Attic antenna is a good idea though, maybe find a way to run coax 1 floor down? If you don't have some up there already. It doesn't need to be next to the HDHR.

Yeah, there's no need to worry about the HDHR being too far from the antenna unless you are right on the edge of reception or your antenna is old and junk.

From my own experience, I had trouble getting consistent signal from my old attic antenna. It was really old (from before I bought the house) but my cable run wasn't very long during testing. I replaced it with a new antenna (same location) and got perfect reception. The cable run for the house ended up much, much longer but the signal is still great.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Did SlingTV drop the Cooking channel? Or was it a temporary thing to begin with?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

All Cable With Buffering channel lineups are ephemeral. Ask anyone with Vue who watches Comedy Central.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

All Cable With Buffering channel lineups are ephemeral. Ask anyone with Vue who watches Comedy Central.

I work for a large company where my job is creating software for the M&E industry and I personally know several broadcast executives and attorneys who's entire job is to sort through streaming licenses on a daily basis. It has been a real circus ever since the content production and investment world got upended from the more traditional paths to market.

Absolutely no one wants to see a Netflix or Amazon do to TV what Apple did to the music industry. At the same time they are all smart enough to know that if they simply stick their heads in the sand, like Music did for many years, they are screwed, so we have a constant tug of war back and forth that has very little to do with whether it makes sense for end users or not. It'll be a while yet before this state of affairs settles down.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Interestingly enough, the executive who was responsible for most of the licensing showdowns in the last 5 to 6 years was just let go from Viacom.

Of course she was replaced by a goober from CBS, so that may not necessarily be an improvement. But Viacom did mention looking to be more flexible providing it's services. So whether that means they compromise a little more on their licensing or whether that means they're going to start offering CBS like subscription apps, who knows?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Of all the 3 letter networks in the US CBS has the most articulate streaming plan. Unfortunately it's not one that lends itself particularly well to distributing their content ad-hoc on other streaming platforms. I don't work for them or have any unique information but I don't expect this to change any time soon, so get used to it :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Too bad there's barely anything on CBS worth watching.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ixian posted:

The Extend has a fan but it can get fairly hot on its own since it does encoding on-board (early models had an overheating problem in fact). I don't know how well it would hold up in your attic but in mine in the Texas summer it wouldn't stand a chance. Unless you are far up North I wouldn't risk it; even more temperate areas can get hot enough to heat an attic above 120F.

I live in the Inland Empire area of CA where it gets 110F outside in the summer. Attic temps are probably more in the range 130-140F.
I was more interested in hooking it up to existing lines instead of running more cabling down to my junction box. No worries though, my cat5 closet is right above where the antenna would go so I'll just shove a piece of coax down the pipe instead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fuzz posted:

Too bad there's barely anything on CBS worth watching.

Pretty much this. As an aside, today I found out that DTV Now cannot stream NBC live on my Apple TV, despite being able to stream it live on my PC/phone/tablet just fine. The gently caress kind of licensing is that?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

teagone posted:

Pretty much this. As an aside, today I found out that DTV Now cannot stream NBC live on my Apple TV, despite being able to stream it live on my PC/phone/tablet just fine. The gently caress kind of licensing is that?

They said to have it sorted out "soon, but no details. No idea if it's technical or licensing issue..

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FCKGW posted:

They said to have it sorted out "soon, but no details. No idea if it's technical or licensing issue..

Almost assuredly the latter.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
It is licensing. Most networks (and others, like the NFL) signed exclusive deals with one type of partner or another or, conversely, didn't sign them and are now playing hard to get. Similar to how Apple eventually just ditched plans for their own TV streaming service rather than deal with them, DTV Now (who were in a better position) must have figured gently caress it, we have enough to go out the door, the others can deal post launch or not.

There's also a wider problem of whether affiliates own the local network in your area or if the parent company does. In the former case they have to strike deals with each individually.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jesus. This industry makes it so hard to give them money and encourages you to go the illegal route for the best experience.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TraderStav posted:

Jesus. This industry makes it so hard to give them money and encourages you to go the illegal route for the best experience.

In the last 5 years Microsoft and Intel both separately built their own streaming TV services and abandoned their plans before release because of the pain in the rear end of content licensing, so yeah. :(

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Not to outright defend the industry, but it is easier to understand how it's ended up like this if you understand the sausage making process behind it.

It is incredibly hard to produce successful content that returns the investment needed to create it. Before you get high and mighty about "art" remember that we all (or most of us anyway) aren't working out of love. If there's no possibility of return on investment then no one is going to invest in it, pure and simple. Whether it's the latest lowbrow dreck, or high-minded concept, employing all the people to create it and then get it in front of an audience requires a ton of money and time and far more often than not that results in failure in spite of subjective things like how "good" it is, who's in it, who's directing it, who's writing it, etc. There are no sure bets in the industry, though the publicity machine that covers it would like us to believe otherwise.

There is a staggering amount of material, even by very well known people, that never gets a shot. Forget "pilot season" - hell, to make it even to pilot is a lucky break, even with "new" networks like Netflix or Amazon producing original content. On top of that, many pilots fall apart once they go in to production. Chris Carter created and ran the X-Files, which has made close to a billion dollars for Fox, and Amazon dropped his proposed series/pilot based on a popularity contest a couple years ago, for example (it wasn't great, in my opinion, but it was better than a lot of stuff that does get aired, for what it's worth).

This leads to a situation where once you have content that can actually be monetized, i.e. it's either an outright hit or at least attracts enough interest (advertising, value to network, etc.) to justify continuing it, you become very protective of it. It is literally money in the bank.

Lots of people have Fat Cat ideas about Hollywood, etc. - big name actors and producers living the good life in Beverly Hills, ala Aaron Spelling. Those cases are about as rare as the super-rich in other industries. Most of Hollywood - and nearly all of the Hollywood-like centers in other countries - is made up of the same kind of working people you find anywhere. Above and below the line. Companies trying to make a buck and stay relevant, folks looking to stay employed.

It was (and is) hard enough to make it in the industry when the means to monetize the content was fairly stable, i.e. through broadcast licensing rights. New digital media and streaming services have upended that cart completely. New players have emerged while the older ones are trying hard to figure out how to thrive, or even just survive. This leads to a lot of caution on the part of some, which is completely understandable from their point of view, even though it often results in situations that make no sense to the end user who just wants to watch the stuff they like.

The point I am getting at is it's not some deliberate, "master" strategy on the part of a few mustache twirling, cigar smoking billionaires looking to gently caress you over and add additional gold faucets to their guest house. It is something that is a big part of the daily lives of millions of people, collectively. It is going to take a few more years to sort out. Frankly, I am surprised they (the industry) are as far along as they are in some areas.

You could say this is all "part of progress" and the industry just needs to deal with it, and you may be right, but that doesn't mean it will happen overnight.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 9, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Maneki Neko posted:

In the last 5 years Microsoft and Intel both separately built their own streaming TV services and abandoned their plans before release because of the pain in the rear end of content licensing, so yeah. :(

I believe in the case of at least Intel it wasn't so much abandoned before release as in it was done, development was complete, network was in place, tens of millions invested with a finished project and they just couldn't launch it because they couldn't get enough content providers to make it a viable product.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Remember the cable industry neutering the brave new world of CableCards?

lol Windows Media Center trying to tune "premium" cable channels.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I believe in the case of at least Intel it wasn't so much abandoned before release as in it was done, development was complete, network was in place, tens of millions invested with a finished project and they just couldn't launch it because they couldn't get enough content providers to make it a viable product.

I actually beta tested the Intel streaming box for a month before we sent it back. Quality was excellent, they had us stress test it by watching the first game of Monday night football.

The hardware was weird though, it looked like an overgrown kinect and had a camera on it for some reason.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well it's an intel streaming box. :rimshot:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

That was both of them sadly. :(

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

pzy posted:

Remember the cable industry neutering the brave new world of CableCards?

lol Windows Media Center trying to tune "premium" cable channels.

It was too good for this world!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DTV Now is down for, if not all, a very very large majority of customers. The only support avenue they are responding to (but not really responding per se) is Twitter.

What a garbage fire of a roll out.

https://twitter.com/DIRECTVNowHelp/status/807398157470564352

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

flosofl posted:

DTV Now is down for, if not all, a very very large majority of customers. The only support avenue they are responding to (but not really responding per se) is Twitter.

What a garbage fire of a roll out.

https://twitter.com/DIRECTVNowHelp/status/807398157470564352

I mean, I had tv over ip from my local phone co-op even before uverse or whatever was out...That poo poo was rough for 6 months solid but I dealt because the price was right.

I don't think a couple hour outage really qualifies as garbage fire, is there some other problem with the service?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

angryrobots posted:

I mean, I had tv over ip from my local phone co-op even before uverse or whatever was out...That poo poo was rough for 6 months solid but I dealt because the price was right.

I don't think a couple hour outage really qualifies as garbage fire, is there some other problem with the service?

The biggest issue for me is they didn't hammer out their licensing before rolling it out as a finished product. No CBS at all, NBC in "live" markets can only be seen on mobile devices, regional sports is terrible or nonexistent for some markets and they have none of the RSN "overflow" channels (i.e. no CSN Plus) so in my case if the Bulls are playing on the same night as the Blackhawks no hockey for me.

72 hour re-play is still spotty at best, no DVR. On demand is starting to catch up, but it's still spotty.

Honestly, it's half-baked and reeks of "must show Q4 revenue".

I did sign up for 3 months at the $35/mo rate, but really I look at it as a way to get a heavily discounted ATV 4. I'm sticking with Vue for now. I'll keep checking from time to time, but if there's not massive improvement in their service delivery by March, I'll just end up cancelling it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well the way that streaming licensing has gone so far, it would appear that putting out what you can, and adding channels as you add subscribers and get bargaining power is the only way to get going.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if any of these services will end up qualifying as "cutting cable" unless at least a couple survive to keep competition. So IMO, more is better if we don't want to end up with "cable by another name" which frankly I think they already kinda are.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Well the way that streaming licensing has gone so far, it would appear that putting out what you can, and adding channels as you add subscribers and get bargaining power is the only way to get going.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if any of these services will end up qualifying as "cutting cable" unless at least a couple survive to keep competition. So IMO, more is better if we don't want to end up with "cable by another name" which frankly I think they already kinda are.

I think they're close enough to "cable by another name" that I'm starting to get irritated at how much of the cordcutting conversation revolves around them, especially when people roll in asking "I just CUT THE CORD, what device do I use to DVR DirecTV Now?"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah, but isn't that what most people seem to want -- basically cable with DVR with access to a large back library, but noticeably cheaper than cable service?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If it's cheap enough, sure. But I think these packaged streaming services are due to increase in price until they're only slightly competitive with cable/satellite.

Maybe real competition will push prices down across the board, I suppose time will tell. Before any of this was available, the common argument was "I'm paying for so many channels I don't watch" and these services are still essentially a cable package deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

angryrobots posted:

If it's cheap enough, sure. But I think these packaged streaming services are due to increase in price until they're only slightly competitive with cable/satellite.

Maybe real competition will push prices down across the board, I suppose time will tell. Before any of this was available, the common argument was "I'm paying for so many channels I don't watch" and these services are still essentially a cable package deal.

The biggest issue for me, was if I wanted prices that were even close to the most expensive packages on the streaming services, I was locked into a 24 month contract. If I was month to month, the TV service alone was well over $100 and I had to go with a 200+ channel package to get the channels I was really interested in.

With Sling, Vue, or even DTVNow, I can change my packages or even my providers on a month by month basis. That's a drat site better than the options I had before. If there was an option to ala carte channels I'd being doing that, but this works well for me until then.

History Vault, Netflix, and even CBS or Hulu are a step in the right direction. And if I could get live streaming sports channels, I'd drop the packaged services like a hot rock. But I won't :filez: and extra-legal streaming of sports does not interest me, so until then this is a workable compromise for me.