Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Simoom posted:

Hello again friends! How do you convince a restaurant to purchase equipment that would make life easier for everyone if the owners are kind of stingy? I ask because there's no way I should be mincing thirty bushels of parsley by knife, and a food processor would keep my hands from being green as grass by the end of the night! I can do the peeling and dicing bags and bags of potatoes and other vegetables by hand and find it extremely relaxing- in fact they are some of the only times the noise in the back of my brain stops! gently caress parsley, though! gently caress every little god damned leaf!

That's a lot of parsley and I don't miss doing that. I used to spend about 2 hours a shift mincing that crap. It's like mint if you are a bartender, the second you hear mimosa you just kinda sigh and take it, and accept it's going to be everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

I'd recommend figuring out what it costs to get one and pitch it in terms of how many labour hours it would save per week, and how long it would take to recoup the cost.

But if they're that stingy you might find that you're sent home earlier.

This is the only way to do it, make the numbers make sense.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Simoom posted:

there's no way I should be mincing thirty bushels of parsley by knife
You're mincing 240 gallons of parsley by knife a day?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

There's a good chance they've already run the numbers and your minimum wage rear end is cheaper. :-)

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
It takes up about three hours of my shift! It's going to happen again today, I just know it. These little plants are going to break me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Secret Spoon posted:

That's a lot of parsley and I don't miss doing that. I used to spend about 2 hours a shift mincing that crap. It's like mint if you are a bartender, the second you hear mimosa you just kinda sigh and take it, and accept it's going to be everywhere.

Wait....what? Mimosa with mint? :confused: Do you mean mojito?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And even there, I've never had a mojito in which the mint was anything beyond bruised.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Simoom posted:

It takes up about three hours of my shift! It's going to happen again today, I just know it. These little plants are going to break me.

3 hours to mince a case of parsley?

Besides, you don't want to robot coupe herbs for garnish, it bruises them.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

CommonShore posted:

And even there, I've never had a mojito in which the mint was anything beyond bruised.

lovely/uneducated bartenders shred the poo poo out of mint all the drat time.

I assume the poster meant mojito not mimosa and was referring to picking the mint for mise rather than slicing it, which yeah, takes time.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

3 hours to mince a case of parsley?

Besides, you don't want to robot coupe herbs for garnish, it bruises them.

its not so much a case as it is a huge box of gently caress-off enormous bushels. they say my speed is fine as i asked that question before ("does this poo poo really have to take three loving hours?" "yeah pretty much, im glad you're the one doing it!"), they just use that many of them. I wish they'd be less heavy handed on the garnishes, but at least i'm a prep cook and am not even touching the hellscape that is the Line....

...Until next week, when I return to one of the fine dining stockholm syndrome places full time!

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Wait....what? Mimosa with mint? :confused: Do you mean mojito?

I did!

I sure did.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Simoom posted:

its not so much a case as it is a huge box of gently caress-off enormous bushels. they say my speed is fine as i asked that question before ("does this poo poo really have to take three loving hours?" "yeah pretty much, im glad you're the one doing it!"), they just use that many of them. I wish they'd be less heavy handed on the garnishes, but at least i'm a prep cook and am not even touching the hellscape that is the Line....

...Until next week, when I return to one of the fine dining stockholm syndrome places full time!

30 bunches is not that much. Go in with a sharp knife, put your head down and before too long you'll have it done in thirty minutes.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
They INSIST on plucking the leaves, so I'm not sure that's mechanically possible. My speed is pretty mediocre overall but I don't even see the fastest guy I've ever known pulling that off if we're forced to pluck. Then again he was trained to cook in the USSR academies and his hobbies included playing with scimitars and blacksmithing. That guy can cut anything in no time

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Simoom posted:

They INSIST on plucking the leaves, so I'm not sure that's mechanically possible. My speed is pretty mediocre overall but I don't even see the fastest guy I've ever known pulling that off if we're forced to pluck. Then again he was trained to cook in the USSR academies and his hobbies included playing with scimitars and blacksmithing. That guy can cut anything in no time

if you're talking about flat-leaf (or Italian) parsley, use a fork when you're stemming

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Radio Help posted:

if you're talking about flat-leaf (or Italian) parsley, use a fork when you're stemming

its curly but holy poo poo its flat leaf at the other place and you just blew my mind with that trick.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Simoom posted:

its curly but holy poo poo its flat leaf at the other place and you just blew my mind with that trick.

Who in the gently caress uses curly parsley anymore. I get mad when whoever picked my order at the produce company warehouse fucks up and sends me a bunch of that poo poo instead of proper parsley, and I only get that stuff in 1 or 2 bunches at a time.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Naelyan posted:

Who in the gently caress uses curly parsley anymore. I get mad when whoever picked my order at the produce company warehouse fucks up and sends me a bunch of that poo poo instead of proper parsley, and I only get that stuff in 1 or 2 bunches at a time.

The restaurant I work at does, and it's a pain to work with. I transferred that fork idea to the guy who does it now and he looked like I just handed him the secret of life. I wish I had known that trick when I was doing it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
We had some poor girl and her date change their order to go the other night. Gorgeous girl, but apparently she wasn't paying attention and leaned in close to her date...right over top of the candle burning in the middle of the table. I didn't see it, but apparently there was a bit of burnt hair and obviously quite a lot of embarrassment.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Vorenus posted:

We had some poor girl and her date change their order to go the other night. Gorgeous girl, but apparently she wasn't paying attention and leaned in close to her date...right over top of the candle burning in the middle of the table. I didn't see it, but apparently there was a bit of burnt hair and obviously quite a lot of embarrassment.

She should have stayed because at that point she can't do any worse.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Welp I just finished the prep for the 100 person party tomorrow. Well at least the prep I could do the day before. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Welp I just finished the prep for the 100 person party tomorrow. Well at least the prep I could do the day before. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

That's a good problem to have. I am already missing the big Christmas parties, money was fantastic. That being said, I don't know what side of the house you are on, and if your back, then I'm sorry homie.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like big parties myself. It's those 30 tops that order a la carte from the regular menu during an already busy dinner rush that kill me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Republicans posted:

I like big parties myself. It's those 30 tops that order a la carte from the regular menu during an already busy dinner rush that kill me.

Yeah this one went smoothly. I had my employee come in a few hours to help during the main "get poo poo out" phase but it worked out well. Not a bad way to make a thousand bucks.

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011
I work as a shift lead at a hot sandwich shop chain. Another of the SL's, who was on tap to be the GM within a couple months, just put in his notice to be 49% owner of a food truck and wants me to work for him. I'd get more money and have no corporate bullshit to deal with...but since we're in a college town they completely close for a couple months when the kids are gone in the Winter. Am I making the wrong choice taking him up on it?

Edit: There's a non-compete clause, so doing both isn't an option.

Edit 2: I would also be giving up benefits, bonuses, and my GM is very good at her job and one of the nicest people I know.

colbamf fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 13, 2015

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

colbamf posted:

I work as a shift lead at a hot sandwich shop chain. Another of the SL's, who was on tap to be the GM within a couple months, just put in his notice to be 49% owner of a food truck and wants me to work for him. I'd get more money and have no corporate bullshit to deal with...but since we're in a college town they completely close for a couple months when the kids are gone in the Winter. Am I making the wrong choice taking him up on it?

Edit 2: I would also be giving up benefits, bonuses, and my GM is very good at her job and one of the nicest people I know.

Personally I would be very skeptical of his offer of better money in that situation. Maybe it's different where you live, but there are a number of food trucks here with the same business model (reliant on students for business, closed when the university closes) and none of them are paying their workers much above minimum wage, certainly not the one's with multiple owners. I don't know how good your benefits and stuff are at your current job, but if I were you I would make absolutely sure that your buddy's business plan and offer are realistic before jumping ship.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

colbamf posted:

Don't do it.

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011

Crazy Larry posted:

Personally I would be very skeptical of his offer of better money in that situation. Maybe it's different where you live, but there are a number of food trucks here with the same business model (reliant on students for business, closed when the university closes) and none of them are paying their workers much above minimum wage, certainly not the one's with multiple owners. I don't know how good your benefits and stuff are at your current job, but if I were you I would make absolutely sure that your buddy's business plan and offer are realistic before jumping ship.

In his defense, the truck has already been around for about a year with two owners, he's just replacing the lovely one who didn't know anything about food.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

colbamf posted:

In his defense, the truck has already been around for about a year with two owners, he's just replacing the lovely one who didn't know anything about food.

That's not necessarily a good thing if the truck developed a bad reputation because of the previous owner, although the beauty of being in a college town is that you get to turn over about 20% of your customer base every year and make a first impression on the incoming class. Honestly this kind of screams to me that your buddy is buying into a floundering business and is promising you a lot on the hope that you can turn things around in a major way. Don't get me wrong, he probably has every intention of trying to uphold his promises to you. I just question how sustainable it is for him to pay you enough to make it worth leaving a year round job that has benefits and pays bonuses for a business that is booting an owner after just one year for not knowing what he's doing, with a business model that necessitates being closed for several months during winter and probably also experiencing a severe slowdown in business during the summer.

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011

Crazy Larry posted:

That's not necessarily a good thing if the truck developed a bad reputation because of the previous owner, although the beauty of being in a college town is that you get to turn over about 20% of your customer base every year and make a first impression on the incoming class. Honestly this kind of screams to me that your buddy is buying into a floundering business and is promising you a lot on the hope that you can turn things around in a major way. Don't get me wrong, he probably has every intention of trying to uphold his promises to you. I just question how sustainable it is for him to pay you enough to make it worth leaving a year round job that has benefits and pays bonuses for a business that is booting an owner after just one year for not knowing what he's doing, with a business model that necessitates being closed for several months during winter and probably also experiencing a severe slowdown in business during the summer.

Thank you for the advice. That is not the impression that he gave me, but I will definitely take a hard look at what the financial realities of the truck actually are and think it over.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

colbamf posted:

what owner, lovely or not, would leave a profitable venture?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

JawKnee posted:

what owner, lovely or not, would leave a profitable venture?

"Things are going so well that I cannot in good conscience continue with my successes"

I can't really imagine a food truck being particularly lucrative as an employee, but maybe I'm out of touch with how those things do now. The amount of competition between them out in this area is massive.

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011

nuru posted:

"Things are going so well that I cannot in good conscience continue with my successes"

I can't really imagine a food truck being particularly lucrative as an employee, but maybe I'm out of touch with how those things do now. The amount of competition between them out in this area is massive.

There's only about 4 trucks in my town for 40,000 kids, its kinda absurd.

colbamf fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 14, 2015

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Remember there's still traditional food places that will take some of those customers.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

How the gently caress can you have a non-compete for food service?

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011

Filboid Studge posted:

I mean, I never signed anything, but it was made very clear that I had to quit my last job at another chain when I was promoted to SL. Since I have access to projections and stuff they don't want me to work for another quick service place.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Filboid Studge posted:

There's a company around here, one of the larger ones in the area, that will straight up fire staff if they find out you're working anywhere else. It's an awful loving company but for whatever reason outside the industry the public sees their restaurants as the "best casual-fine dining" and within the industry it's basically regarded as "that place you should go work a year for just to meet a bunch of people". They get away with all kinds of poo poo because they've been around forever and have the money to do it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Pretty sure no competes don't work in the restaurant industry, because recipes aren't classified the same as other "trade secrets." Probably nobody has been able to afford to sue.

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Pretty sure no competes don't work in the restaurant industry, because recipes aren't classified the same as other "trade secrets." Probably nobody has been able to afford to sue.

Its definitely not something I'm worried about if I quit first. I got some more information, Owner A bought out owner B because he did not know what he was doing at all and wanted a competent partner. My friend is getting 49% over the next four years, sooner if they start making much more money. He has plans to open a commissary and expand in to catering, and the dude just bought a house to use as an office, so it doesn't seem like the business is in trouble. The closing for a couple months is definitely still a sticking point though.

colbamf fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 15, 2015

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Jimmy Johns, of all loving places, makes their employees sign a non-compete agreement to protect those precious sammich secrets. As far as I know, they've never tried to enforce it in court, but who knows if they've quietly let people go for driving cars for the competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Having a father for an attorney, worked in his office and researched it pretty heavily, my understanding is that the generally, unless you deal with specific aspects of engineering that could be exclusive or things that require clearacnce and are state secrets, non-compete clauses are nearly universally unenforceable. In food service, it's like, ludicrous.

• Locked thread