Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's called a "shart" if it's a mongodb node containing your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Alan Smithee posted:

not Noisebridge but Hacker Dojo in Mountain View

"Mountain View's Hacker Dojo facing internal unrest, credit card misuse and a move to a new location"

http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2016/03/31/disarray-at-the-dojo

worth a read

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

isn't that the thing shadowhawk was involved with

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Where does a hackerspace get 300k in the bank (after funds misuse) from?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
googlers and other idiots with more money than sense

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

This is correct.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Where does a hackerspace get 300k in the bank (after funds misuse) from?

The article posted:

membership fees, the Dojo's main revenue source, went up sharply -- the regular package jumped from $100 to $195 a month.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wondered how they had such a nice lobby

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Wondered how they had such a nice lobby

I know right, I went there twice, and both times I didn't hear any cries from people trapped under the staircase.

I've never been there or to any hacker space

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
last year i worked in a building in the same general area as hacker dojo and went over there at lunchtime a couple times because they had deece food trucks showing up in their parking lot some days

once i walked around to the front and looked inside and there was a bitcoin atm in the lobby. because of course there would be a bitcoin atm in their lobby.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i went to hacker dojo a couple times for talks and it seemed like a nice clean place

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

BobHoward posted:

once i walked around to the front and looked inside and there was a bitcoin atm in the lobby. because of course there would be a bitcoin atm in their lobby.

somebody at my datacenter actually has some asic miners in a cabinet... in a datacenter that charges you per kw/hr

meanwhile at the makerspace that i joined, a bunch of people hid bitcoin miners in the closet that shares space with the wood shop dust collection system. they have been "politely" reminded repeatedly that hot dodgy electronics and superfine sawdust don't mix.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 6, 2016

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CrazyLittle posted:

meanwhile at the makerspace that i joined, a bunch of people hid bitcoin miners in the closet that shares space with the wood shop dust collection system. they have been "politely" reminded repeatedly that hot dodgy electronics and superfine sawdust don't mix.

theft of (electrical) service and hackerspaces shouldn't mix either but

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
you can't like own electricity, man

it belongs to everyone :mad:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

bitcoin atm

why are these real

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

deep impact on vhs posted:

why are these real

afaict the people i know that made one did because it was an easy grift

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
bitcoin rear end to mouth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

https://twitter.com/noisebridge/status/717939022237196289

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
somebody bought blade fuses on ebay caue they were _cheap_ and now they spit "loving ebay fuses" with mad venom, as if it's ebay's fault

Verified, US seller ebay is vastly different from poo poo China Sort-Price-Low-To-High ebay quality, glad they were able to paint with that nice broad brush

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So obviously they want to buy the one that doesn't break anything.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Also, if I wanted to be a lovely, unscientific jackass, I'd definitely use spade terminals or alligator clips on flying leads to test these, which will add resistance and thus heat generation, which you can obviously tell they did because the melty fuse didn't stay straight at all. if it was in a blade fuse holder those would still be parallel

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Also, if I wanted to be a lovely, unscientific jackass, I'd definitely use spade terminals or alligator clips on flying leads to test these, which will add resistance and thus heat generation, which you can obviously tell they did because the melty fuse didn't stay straight at all. if it was in a blade fuse holder those would still be parallel

I've never thought to use spade terminals for this even though they're an obvious fit. Thanks for the tip!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

At hopital, lost haus.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've never thought to use spade terminals for this even though they're an obvious fit. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah i think its by design actually, or just engineering coincidence. it's 100% fine as long as you gauge wires right and dont use it for current stress tests

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jerry Cotton posted:

So obviously they want to buy the one that doesn't break anything.
honestly i thought that's what they were going for until i went to their blog post

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anthonypants posted:

honestly i thought that's what they were going for until i went to their blog post

yeah but who has time to read

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BTW I bought a cheapo assortment of fuses from Hong Kong (the store, not the place) and man I got used to the smell of burning plastic because my car was an Opel. I wonder how many car fires get started because people don't want to pay more than 0.1 cents for a fuse?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

CrazyLittle posted:

somebody at my datacenter actually has some asic miners in a cabinet... in a datacenter that charges you per kw/hr

Current estimate is they're going to stop paying their bills on July 14 :v:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

"maybe its a bad idea to source components from the dollar store or china via ebay"

no poo poo

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
save money, live better

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There's that segment of the population that is simply not willing to spend any more than the lowest possible price for anything. Like, even if spending 10% more gets you 5x the quality (or is the difference between works and doesn't do its job). As far as they are concerned why spend more?

Separate from that what Johnny290 said about alligator clips and junk reminded me of how I was super dumb when I first started playing with motor drivers for some beefy as gently caress DC motors. I hooked it all up together with test alligator leads to everything and couldn't figure out why it was all stuttery and poo poo. My entire experience had all been low current stuff and these were power hungry inductive loads, they needed proper gauge wire with proper connectors and twisting the pairs to avoid big sloppy inductive loops - all that honestly never occured to me. I eventually figured it out and felt really dumb, but it was also kind of cool to see actual physical effects and see it all go away just by changing stuff like wire gauge, connectors, and clean wiring.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 7, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wish American parts stores weren't the literal worst to browse compared to eBay. I end up googling the part I need + mouser or digikey or McMaster. I gave up on fastenal

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I wish American parts stores weren't the literal worst to browse compared to eBay. I end up googling the part I need + mouser or digikey or McMaster. I gave up on fastenal

Amazon's actually not bad for finding electronics parts. I'm sure I paid more than I needed to, but when I needed some caps for my TV I was able to get what I needed with 20 spares for about $10 with free two-day shipping because prime.

I've bought replacement laptop displays off of Amazon and they've been about what I'd expect from any generic part site.

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
e: wtf doublepost

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Yolo Wizard posted:

there might be a small local store that has decent parts unless they've gotten wiped out by the internet

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

using aligator clips doesn't change the message here, don't cheap out on fuses

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
order a paper Grainger catalog and obtain infinite fascination

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
no I've seen the mcmaster carr one and I keep getting sent mouser ones.

There is no human being under 60 who looks through those earnestly

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

no I've seen the mcmaster carr one and I keep getting sent mouser ones.

There is no human being under 60 who looks through those earnestly

I looked through mine earnestly.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I keep getting sent mouser ones.
there is no way to stop them. if you call and beg them to stop killing trees, they'll cheerfully note your name and send an extra one next time, just for you!

mentioned elsewhere, but my favorite bit is that they misspelt "Littelfuse"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

if I order a digi-key catalog I just get a "We Re-Deliver for You!" slip and have to go pick it up at the post office because it's so huge

• Locked thread