Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

One of our light freighters gets into a gun duel with an American sub - and hits! If it is on fire, that's not going to be good for the crew of the Shark.

I like having air superiority, but I know to not get accustomed to the feeling.

We're closing in on Ichang.
Again.

We take Port Blair with minimal losses.

Not a bad day at all!

We also took a base in Malaya that was undefended, this accounts for the 53 operational losses – they have pulled their troops out, but left the air planes behind it seems!
There is also a double battleship contact out there. I shall sally forth with my own big ships and we shall have a battle like nature intended!

Looks like three weeks before the carriers are ready – then what do you think, a run at Midway?

alex314 posted:

Grey, buy one of those white noise generators and learn to wrap kid snugly. Check it on youtube, it helps.

We have a white noise, but the wrapping does not work - he likes to sleep in a star position and has since the day he was born.
He's only waking once in a night, but if its early, I end up getting up as I normally get up 4-5am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

He's only waking once in a night, but if its early, I end up getting up as I normally get up 4-5am.

Mrs. Gray must have amazing genes, first couple of weeks with my kid it was every 90-120 minutes.
You're a titan among men to take care of a kid, work and still play grog games.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Looks like three weeks before the carriers are ready – then what do you think, a run at Midway?

The only correct choice is the second battle of Pearl Harbor obviously.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Where are Kaga and Hiryu? If you're going to send out everything to force a decisive battle at Midway (or Pearl), you might as well bring as many carriers as you can.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grey Hunter posted:

We have a white noise, but the wrapping does not work - he likes to sleep in a star position and has since the day he was born.

He's had his turn, now it's time for SOVIET RESPONSE.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i thought the lysanders were basically surveying planes, why is the AI throwing so many gunless planes at our Zeroes?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They were ferry planes and artillery spotters. Probably just all its got and they're flagged as fighters.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mans posted:

i thought the lysanders were basically surveying planes, why is the AI throwing so many gunless planes at our Zeroes?

Sacrificial lambs to allow the other planes to get through.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

"Gunless"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Huh, wiki said that was an old Vickers gun out the back, I wonder if they're not modeled in the game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ardeem posted:

Huh, wiki said that was an old Vickers gun out the back, I wonder if they're not modeled in the game.

TR stands for Top Rear, which would be that rear gun. Calling them cannons is dumb though, as I'm sure the game distinguishes MG and Cannons so I can't understand why they wouldn't make that distinction for all aircraft.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

TR stands for Top Rear, which would be that rear gun. Calling them cannons is dumb though, as I'm sure the game distinguishes MG and Cannons so I can't understand why they wouldn't make that distinction for all aircraft.

I meant that the game has a Browning instead of a Vickers machine gun in that spot, which is a boost in reliablity over the original. (Also American instead of British, but it's not like we didn't give them to everybody.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ardeem posted:

I meant that the game has a Browning instead of a Vickers machine gun in that spot, which is a boost in reliablity over the original. (Also American instead of British, but it's not like we didn't give them to everybody.)

Probably an oversight :shrug: at least they're in the right caliber.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Where are Kaga and Hiryu? If you're going to send out everything to force a decisive battle at Midway (or Pearl), you might as well bring as many carriers as you can.

You're looking at the repair sheet, not the ships in the port.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I really should have taken this base ages ago, but I keep forgetting to move more troop up.

The bombing raids chose a different target.

Bloody terrain modifiers.

You know, I'd almost forgotten I had any subs out there.

Clunk!

I'm trying to pull back to Sinyang, the rearguard do well today.

A quiet day in the air.

At least those are all cheap ships I've lost.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Interesting. Could you give a big map of China at the moment?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We get hit by the shore guns some more.

Ha! Too many juicy targets for you eh? IT WAS A TRAP!

The bombers return to their main target.

The RAF come out again.

We clean up another force.

We can hit a couple more small enemy forces tomorrow – we're nowhere near a big operation at the moment, but we're slowly creeping forwards.

Please be right.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
Sunk by a 800 kg AP bomb? :stare:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
ASW attack calling in local air support. Probably.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The bomb was dropped by Yamashiro. They are kept hidden in the pagoda mast.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Christ Grey, for every 60 kg or whatever bomb your guys drop on a warship they seem determined to match with a 500+ on an unarmored light boat.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Aren't certain kinds of air patrols not shown in the combat screens and just kind of happen? I suspect it got caught by a search after it was damaged in the engagement with the fleet.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah armed planes out on search missions can attack ships that they find and it just shows up as a little log message during the turn execution. Usually their reports about hitting stuff are super optimistic early in the war but sometimes they actually do.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Plek posted:

Christ Grey, for every 60 kg or whatever bomb your guys drop on a warship they seem determined to match with a 500+ on an unarmored light boat.

To be fair, the O21 is one annoying unarmored light boat.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

For submarine bombing there is no such thing as overkill. Either it goes down forever or you needed a bigger bomb.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My subchasers seem to be having a lucky streak.

The coastal attacks continue to hit ships.

The bombers continue their work.

We blast through the forts at Malang.

We wipe out another unit.

There are a lot of small allied units out there surviving on the terrain bonus alone.

Coastal guns.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
Is the siege at Chongqing still going unabated, or was that broken at some point?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Veloxyll posted:

For submarine bombing there is no such thing as overkill. Either it goes down forever or you needed a bigger bomb.

Basically the theory behind the various Nuclear Depth Bombs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Blast waves are fun.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I hate these guns.

We land troops at Sebang, mainly to clear the area out.

Without their fortifications, the enemy cannot hold us – and the Dutch air force is destroyed.

One of our subs takes several hits.

In a display of perfect synchronisation, forces attack Ichang from across two rivers at the same time, overwhelming the enemy with a display of long term tactics.

We drive the enemy forces from Shaoyang.

We smashed many a enemy formation today, and its looking good for some more advances tomorrow.

The importance of Ichang is this – I just cut nearly 200,000 men off from supplies!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Grey, you're going to completely run out of transports by the end of the year and it's all because of those coastal defense guns.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cargo and boat planes. I wonder why they didn't fly them out?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Nice progress in China.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Clunk!

Nope, still no good.

We see some air combat in Burma.

Our planes finally get to do some exercising as the RAF wakes up.

We brush aside the defenders of Mandalay and take Taung Gyi without a fight.

Two more bases taken as me continue to march north.

Two more ships lost to coastal defence guns.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is not a question specific to Grey's campaign, but if I load troopships and a task force and make a false/decoy amphibious landing, just move the ships in towards shore but then turn around, will the AI react by shifting its ground forces there to meet the threat?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MrMojok posted:

This is not a question specific to Grey's campaign, but if I load troopships and a task force and make a false/decoy amphibious landing, just move the ships in towards shore but then turn around, will the AI react by shifting its ground forces there to meet the threat?

Even if they did, they'd spend 3 turns packing before moving a single hex and by that time you've either lost your task force for nothing or already hosed off.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I don't think the AI is that smart.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL, OK. Just a thought inspired by recent readings of WWII books.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
A better way is to assign a couple units to plan/prepare for attacks on hexes you won't actually attack. "Unit X is planning for an attack on Hex Y" is part of the intel report, so if you have a ton of units planning for an attack on Port Moresby, the enemy will see that. But if you have units planning for Moresby, and Milne Bay, and the Guadalcanal hexes, and Tulagi, then they'll all show up occasionally on the intel sheet and your opponent won't know where the real target is. But I don't think this will work against the AI either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Endless lists of random Chinese HQ units planning their attack on Hokkaido.