Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
TV writing lesson #11: Plotlines getting too complex? Kill off the least important armies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CDHiggs posted:

Serious question?

Because of the wildfire? Because she was supposed to be there? Because she would be main suspect, largely due to the walk of shame she endured? Because of her rivalry with the cult?

How do any of the normal people know Cersei has any idea about wildfire? Or being there? Or that she even had a rivalry with them? The only people that know are the ones that should, like Jaime and Olenna.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

she took a walk of shame through the city and it was once defended by the green napalm.

it doesn't even matter that they knew, it just has to be rumored. nobody knew joffrey was a child of incest for certain but it seemed all the peasants knew about it. they threw poo poo at him and tore the pope apart with their bare hands. and things are way worse now.

i'm lolling that anyone is defending this poo poo now. it's really bad plotting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought the last episode made it pretty clear that she was able to keep control primarily by using the Unsullied/Dothraki/Targ invasion as a "let's ignore all that and kill all the foreign invaders" thing

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

Barreft posted:

Also fear by rule, King's Landing is basically North Korea now, why won't those North Koreans just rise up and protest Kim Jong Un?

I don't really find this to be a compelling argument; at least, it's no excuse for the "rug sweep" we got in trade for watching that story unfold.

CDHiggs fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 31, 2017

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

she took a walk of shame through the city and it was once defended by the green napalm.

it doesn't even matter that they knew, it just has to be rumored. nobody knew joffrey was a child of incest for certain but it seemed all the peasants knew about it.

i'm lolling that anyone is defending this poo poo now. it's really bad plotting.

There's no way they'd do anything, like I said Cersei is basically Kim Jong Un, and no one is throwing him into a blender.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Barreft posted:

How do any of the normal people know Cersei has any idea about wildfire? Or being there? Or that she even had a rivalry with them? The only people that know are the ones that should, like Jaime and Olenna.

The battle of the blackwater. Don't be a pedant.

e: fuckin Hot Pie sees through this plot. You're being denser than Hot Pie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Barreft posted:

There are people between the named leaders and like the common dumbfuck on the street. Presumably these are people running the day to day poo poo in King's Landing and elsewhere. These people would be marginally educated about what's going on and might have an issue sticking around if they knew their Queen was liable to burn chunks of the city to the ground when it suited her.

Like the show is still enjoyable but there is sloppy poo poo writing happening and there is no need to go to bat for it.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought the last episode made it pretty clear that she was able to keep control primarily by using the Unsullied/Dothraki/Targ invasion as a "let's ignore all that and kill all the foreign invaders" thing

This is at least a better explanation but it would be nice if it weren't so easy and there were some consequences.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Barreft posted:

There's no way they'd do anything, like I said Cersei is basically Kim Jong Un, and no one is throwing him into a blender.

those people have been brainwashed from birth and he has total control of the military. it's a loving dumb comparison.

the praetorian guard killed emperors with regularity for a lot less.

Barreft posted:

Blackwater was Tyrion gathering the wildfire though?

he said don't be a pedant lmao

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

TheLoquid posted:

The battle of the blackwater. Don't be a pedant.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Barreft posted:

Barreft posted:

We live in a world of twitter, cell phone camera, etc, and Trump is still destroying the US. I doubt the peasants in King's Landing have any access to newspapers. Also fear by rule, King's Landing is basically North Korea now, why won't those North Koreans just rise up and protest Kim Jong Un?

I love when goons juxtaposition real life with the tits and dragon show

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Raggedy Stormlander Farmer #1: "I 'eard dat Cersei exploded da Sept'ta Baelor, blew up a whole bunch of noble cunts."
Raggedy Stormlander Farmer #2: "Wot's a Baelor?"
RSF #1: "No clue."
RSF #2: "Back to the harvest then, eh?"

So ended 'the great anti-Cersei insurgency'.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Barreft posted:

Tyrion not getting any credit for the battle is a p huge plot point in season 3. Kind of like how Cersei being threatened by the people's love for her rivals is a huge plot point in season 6.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
These are peasants. Power lies where people believe it lies. They know they she did it, who the gently caress is gonna do anything about it? She's the closest thing to the most rightful leader so now she's leading. I don't think it's so insanely incomprehensible to get.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It would be about a 100 times more compelling and reasonable had Dany actually done anything terrible to King's Landing. In fact, you'd think that the city's poor--all of those folks that loathe Cersei--would be clamoring for her arrival. And, hey, weren't they a part of that cult? Hmmmm....

But I guess a scene with Cersei addressing a bunch of lords is good enough.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lezard_valeth posted:

I love when goons juxtaposition real life with the tits and dragon show

Trump is a bad example too, the dude is being undermined by the press at every step and just had a major political defeat less than 3 days ago. He hasn't accomplished much since being in office.

There's degrees between "the commoners storm the castle and put Cersei's head on a spike" and "literally nothing, no consequences".

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

those people have been brainwashed from birth and he has total control of the military. it's a loving dumb comparison.

the praetorian guard killed emperors with regularity for a lot less.

he said don't be a pedant lmao

You... really think the people would go against Cersei when they know they're sure to die even trying? And as we've seen just this episode Cersei has total control of the military, unless the naval battle at Casterly Rock and the land battle at Highgarden never happened.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

it doesn't even matter that they knew, it just has to be rumored. nobody knew joffrey was a child of incest for certain but it seemed all the peasants knew about it. they threw poo poo at him and tore the pope apart with their bare hands. and things are way worse now.

Okay jeez relax, the peasants should revolt against the mad queen that nuked her own city, and then a bunch of them get slaughtered and they stop, and that 1-minute scene we can all just imagine and move on

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

InFlames235 posted:

These are peasants. Power lies where people believe it lies. They know they she did it, who the gently caress is gonna do anything about it? She's the closest thing to the most rightful leader so now she's leading. I don't think it's so insanely incomprehensible to get.

then don't make Cersei's season 6 plot line all about the threat of the people. Like are you serious with this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CDHiggs posted:

It would be about a 100 times more compelling and reasonable had Dany actually done anything terrible to King's Landing. In fact, you'd think that the city's poor--all of those folks that loathe Cersei--would be clamoring for her arrival. And, hey, weren't they a part of that cult? Hmmmm....

But I guess a scene with Cersei addressing a bunch of lords is good enough.

The cult exploded.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Supreme Allah posted:

Okay jeez relax, the peasants should revolt against the mad queen that nuked her own city, and then a bunch of them get slaughtered and they stop, and that 1-minute scene we can all just imagine and move on

i can see how this show still gets so much love.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The cult exploded.

most people worship the seven.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Supreme Allah posted:

Gregor goes full musou on a group of peasants, everyone drops their pitchforks and goes about their business.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

TheLoquid posted:

then don't make Cersei's season 6 plot line all about the threat of the people. Like are you serious with this.

She literally gave the people a voice and a leader via the Sparrow and blew his rear end up. You think anyone else is going to try to lead the next revolution now?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not a tactical realism a thing it's a logical plot thing. anyone with a brain figured this season would likely start with how cersei is now surrounded by enemies and descends deeper into her madness as the consequences finally catch up to her probably with jaime realizing what a monster she is. nobody thought man wouldn;t it make sense if her armies and few allies got magical powers and fleets out of nowhere and just won every battle despite it making no sense just so the sides are evened up;.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

What do you think would happen if the President of Italy burned St Peter's to the ground. You think people would just shrug and move on?

Again I understand people wanting to say "it's just a show move on" but this was literally the point of Cersei's plot last season. It's such a radically stupid plot decision.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
You'd at least expect the rest of the people outside King's Landing to be pissed at the crazy lady who blew up a ton of people.

Like the people associated with House Tyrell, for one.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody thought man wouldn;t it make sense if her armies and few allies got magical powers and fleets out of nowhere and just won every battle despite it making no sense just so the sides are evened up;.

I think everyone on this thread has watched season 5 and 6. We were ALL expecting some bullshit to even up the fields.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can see how this show still gets so much love.

most people worship the seven.

Honestly I do get your point but nobody cares about the peasants, the masses of kings landing just aren't a character.

Euron basically said it in a throw-away line: they don't cheer because you win or lose, they just love decapitations

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The cult exploded.

LOL

I'm outta here. Night!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Supreme Allah posted:

Honestly I do get your point but nobody cares about the peasants, the masses of kings landing just aren't a character.

Euron basically said it in a throw-away line: they don't cheer because you win or lose, they just love decapitations

it's not just the peasants tho. it's them, all the nobles and poo poo. religion was pretty important back then. blowing up the sept should've driven most of the country into open revolt.

then again this is the show that just ignored "the north remembers" and gave the boltons no consequences for breaking the most sacred tradition and wiping out the most beloved house in westeros.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

Yeah the walk of shame scene just came and went.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

She literally gave the people a voice and a leader via the Sparrow and blew his rear end up. You think anyone else is going to try to lead the next revolution now?

No people are going to get the gently caress out of Dodge. Not like the random street people but anyone with any standing, and those are the people like bureaucrats and military captains and poo poo who don't want to suffer the wrath of some loon. She wouldn't have a loyal huge army anymore since there would be desertions and things would be harder to manage, there would be general unrest as people couldn't get food and services shut down. This is all stuff that has happened in this series before that just went away when it became convenient to make Cersei a competent villain.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

I think everyone on this thread has watched season 5 and 6. We were ALL expecting some bullshit to even up the fields.

Even so, I legitimately feel like I'm being treated like I'm stupid by the writers.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TheLoquid posted:

Like I understand ~it's a tv show~ but the whole season was predicated on Margaery and the pope being a huge threat to Cersei because they had the people's love. Then Cersei burns them inside the holiest of holies while being conspicuously absent from her own trial and there's no response?! That was the whole loving point of the King's Landing plot last season and they totally ignore it??? That's ridiculous.

Well the small folk no longer have the organization or clout to challenge the official story, so they accept it. Kind of like how we al buy into the official story of 9/11 even though it was Bush and Mossad because there's not a thing we can do anyway.

Targaryen didn't blow up the projects (it was you Cersei! Tell the truth Cersei!l

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

Trump is a bad example too, the dude is being undermined by the press at every step and just had a major political defeat less than 3 days ago. He hasn't accomplished much since being in office.

There's degrees between "the commoners storm the castle and put Cersei's head on a spike" and "literally nothing, no consequences".

This season would be 100 times more fun if the Mooch was a character.

"Tryion's always trying to cockblock the Mooch, but I'm not like Grey Worm trying to suck his own dick."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This was a weird episode.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Bring back Alliser Thorne, Greatest of All Characters, as the lord commander of the dead-knights watch.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not a tactical realism a thing it's a logical plot thing. anyone with a brain figured this season would likely start with how cersei is now surrounded by enemies and descends deeper into her madness as the consequences finally catch up to her

Maybe she took her lumps and learned from her mistakes and emerged from the walk of shame with even sharper political instincts than before. Maybe she's not a deranged idiot with an overinflated opinion of herself - maybe she never was

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

olenna scene owned a lot tho. too bad davos is the only good character left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Groovelord Neato posted:

olenna scene owned a lot tho. too bad davos is the only good character left.

Sandor is still alive :colbert:

• Locked thread