Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1105818915849019392

https://www.cp24.com/news/dash-cam-video-shows-small-plane-narrowly-missing-vehicle-near-buttonville-airport-1.4334127 posted:

Chris Fox, CP24.com
Published Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:35AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:56AM EDT
New dash-cam video has surfaced showing a small plane narrowly missing a moving vehicle before crashing into a fence north of Buttonville Airport on Tuesday afternoon.

The footage was captured by a vehicle that was headed west on 16th Avenue near Highway 404 just before 2 p.m.

It shows the plane careening through the path of the incoming vehicle with one of its wings either clipping the ground or coming perilously close to doing so.

This image taken from dash-cam footage shows a plane narrowly missing a moving vehicle north of Buttonville Airport on Tuesday afternoon.

After the plane just missed colliding with the vehicle, it slammed through a fence before coming to a stop in a ditch on the other side of the roadway.

Police have said that there was a male instructor and a female student in the plane at the time but both escaped injury.

“The fact that that aircraft wasn’t involved in a collision with a vehicle coming through here is quite amazing,” Sgt. Dave Mitchell told CTV News Toronto on Tuesday.

The Transportation Safety Board has said that the privately-owned plane was doing a training maneuver called “a touch-and-go” when it went down.

The cause of the collision remains under investigation.

“It’s an easy way to do a bunch of takeoffs and landings if you are doing some training but in this case something went wrong,” TSB investigator Ewan Tasker told CTV News Toronto on Tuesday.

unknown fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Amazed there were no injuries with that bank angle. Hard to tell what they hit but that just looked like a recipe for tumbling and cartwheeling.

Oh and since everyone lived, Cirrus pilots :rolleyes:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

dupersaurus posted:

Put this next to the “even the pilots were barfing” PIREP

https://twitter.com/psswx/status/1105887803806834689

Someone explain this to me please

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Two pilots who, surely, have read a pressure chart before decide to fly through a bomb cyclone over the Rockies. Not surprisingly, the ride was bad and the mountain wave severe.

Edit: also guaran-loving-teed it wasn’t severe turbulence because that airplane would be down for inspection and more than one passenger or flight attendant would have been taken to the hospital.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I caught moderate to severe over the Rockies in a 767 and almost poo poo my pants. Our food trays went everywhere. Two flight attendants were injured. Surprisingly the autopilot held on like a champ.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Animal posted:

I caught moderate to severe over the Rockies in a 767 and almost poo poo my pants. Our food trays went everywhere. Two flight attendants were injured. Surprisingly the autopilot held on like a champ.

I've been a passenger in a plane landing through a thunderstorms and that felt like we were in a pretty badass rollercoaster. Can't imagine turbulence that would actually injure people...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
New Air Wagner™ video.

https://youtu.be/ss1iRgXBgPg

Haven’t dissected this one yet but I bet it’s good. :allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I've been a passenger in a plane landing through a thunderstorms and that felt like we were in a pretty badass rollercoaster. Can't imagine turbulence that would actually injure people...

There's another step past severe: Extreme. Extreme turbulence reports are the worst, because while I'm scrambling to get airplanes away from the turbulence-that-shakes-airplanes-apart, any airplane on frequency, even if he's 100nm away and outbound is asking for altitude changes or vectors to get away from it. :argh:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrYenko posted:

It’s their current in-progress design.

That said, it probably won’t resemble the 757 as much as the 767. Personally, I think the 757 is the most beautiful twinjet ever built.

Who wore it best in your opinion? I vote Eastern Airways

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

shame on an IGA posted:

My favorite aircraft livery of all time is the Delta widget

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That looks pretty good, but on the other hand:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The American Astrojet livery is best.

...But if you insist on a regular livery, this opinion is the correct one:

0toShifty posted:

My favorite aircraft livery of all time is the Delta widget

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The only correct answer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

The only correct answer.

Not a 757, but you’re not wrong.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Really don't need to do 10 pages of livery when we all know the best and final one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS7T7p2A1sM

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Spirit isn't the best but it's the most honest. It's cramped like a schoolbus, the passengers act like children on a schoolbus, it's interior is as clean as a schoolbus, it's about as cheap as a schoolbus, so why not paint it like a schoolbus? The name of the plane even has bus in it!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Not much more to say than that. Too bad it didn't last long :(

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The VIP 757, the C-32 looks pretty good too:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

shame on an IGA posted:

Some of those planes ended up wearing this good looking livery on a 757:

...but Delta's widget is also a valid choice.

E- I don't know if it was the fact that it had those old CRT monitors or the buzzsaw wine or both but a ride on a USAir 757 was the highlight of my loving year as a kid.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 18, 2019

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I still can't decide if the "vintage" Jetblue livery is stupid or cute. Learving toward the latter.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

vessbot posted:

I still can't decide if the "vintage" Jetblue livery is stupid or cute. Learving toward the latter.

Founded 1998. Quite vintage.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

vessbot posted:

It's kind of like when NASCAR teams on throwback weekend create a concept scheme for a sponsor that didn't get into the sport before the getting was good in the 2000s and, thus, doesn't have a badass retro scheme to bring back for a night- it's only cute because they're pretending they were in existence at the time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- I don't know if it was the fact that it had those old CRT monitors or the buzzsaw wine or both but a ride on a USAir 757 was the highlight of my loving year as a kid.

The only problem with Delta Widget on a 757 is that Delta’s 757s were all delivered with the wrong engines.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Speaking of nascar, flying nascar people around for a race can suck it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rolo posted:

Speaking of nascar, flying nascar people around for a race can suck it.

Go on...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Super theoretical question:

I don’t want to ever move to the Miami area, correct? A rumor that a plane I fly may be moving down there is circulating.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

I don’t want to ever move to the Miami area, correct? A rumor that a plane I fly may be moving down there is circulating.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, and have worked either at or within four miles of KMIA since 2006. I’m currently considering moving to Anchorage.

Take that however you like.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Only if you hate excellent Cuban food and rocket fuel Cuban coffee. And terrible traffic with psychopathic Latinos powered by rocket fuel Cuban coffee behind the wheel.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arson Daily posted:

Only if you hate excellent Cuban food and rocket fuel Cuban coffee. And terrible traffic with psychopathic Latinos powered by rocket fuel Cuban coffee behind the wheel.

The coffee is legitimately amazing. The Cuban food is overrated.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

And terrible traffic with psychopathic Latinos powered by rocket fuel Cuban coffee behind the wheel.

I'm still emotionally scarred by daily driving in Miami for over two months, and I'm latino. Even driving in and out of Manhattan feels 100 times safer.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

The coffee is legitimately amazing. The Cuban food is overrated.

In Miami right now, can confirm.

Good Cuban food is on par with mediocre Mexican food.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t drink coffee :(

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Find ‘Cilantro cafeteria’ (5891 NW 36th St, Virginia Gardens, FL 33166) near the Boeing and Atlas training centers, 5-10 minute walk but be careful not to get killed by crazy drivers crossing the avenue. It’s a small place.

Ask for the vaca frita with rice and beans and fried plantains.

You are welcome.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Find ‘Cilantro cafeteria’ (5891 NW 36th St, Virginia Gardens, FL 33166) near the Boeing and Atlas training centers, 5-10 minute walk but be careful not to get killed by crazy drivers crossing the avenue. It’s a small place.

Ask for the vaca frita with rice and beans and fried plantains.

You are welcome.

Bless up.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Is it true that if you have too many car accidents that you may not be able to fly again?
I heard this from some lady that hangs out at my in-laws. Something about her son being a pilot and he had a recent accident and
had to do extra stuff due to the whole pilot thing.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The FAA requires you to report drug or alcohol related issues, and they can access a national database to make sure you didn't lie about them. Airlines generally want to know about traffic tickets, since that's another metric they can use to screen applicants, but the FAA doesn't care about speeding tickets and such.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 21, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ragedx posted:

Is it true that if you have too many car accidents that you may not be able to fly again?
I heard this from some lady that hangs out at my in-laws. Something about her son being a pilot and he had a recent accident and
had to do extra stuff due to the whole pilot thing.

Is it possible traffic accident is code for a DUI here? :crossarms:

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

I live down in Key West, and I'd say that the area from Miami to Key West is hands down my least favorite part of America. For a frame of reference, I like North Carolina.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

which parts of NC this is important

lol at any man who claims love for lumberton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

hobbesmaster posted:

Is it possible traffic accident is code for a DUI here? :crossarms:

Or perhaps he got a concussion? Is that something the FAA would care about?