Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Welp schools over I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

Welp schools over I guess

Who else is on "vacation"? And I wanted to go to the zoo tomorrow too. Guess I'll be staying in.

I hope they push back exams or something, my students are going to be as worried as they are happy.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The most amazing thing about this epidemic is that it seemingly turned Macron into a communist

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kassad posted:

The most amazing thing about this epidemic is that it seemingly turned Macron into a communist

In words maybe. It's the acts that matter, though.

Macron often says perfectly sensible things when he reads a speech he probably didn't write. That doesn't stop him from ramming through ghoulish policies aimed at making everyone poorer except the billionaires. Like that 49.3'ed pension reform.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I was trying to be sarcastic. Next you'll have Fillon announce that he is, in fact, giving the money back.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I hope they push back exams or something

All the college/lycée teachers and uni ATERs I know are anxious about that and trying to get their EN hierarchy higher-ups to understand that 1) it's really needed pedagogically and 2) large concentrated exams are, in fact, huge virus-friendly gatherings to begin with.

So far, it doesn't seem to have any impact. Personally, j'ai confiance en l'incompétence de mon pays - si y a moyen de faire les choses connement, on le fera !

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Edouard Philippe posted:

Ce que nous devons faire en ce moment, c’est tout simplement d’éviter au maximum de se rassembler, limiter les réunions amicales et familiales, n’utiliser les transports en commun que pour aller au travail et seulement si la présence physique au travail est indispensable, ne sortir de chez soi que pour faire ses courses essentielles, faire un peu d’exercice ou voter

I laughed out loud when I heard him say that. Is he for loving real?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how declaring stade 3 just before the elections plays into the strategy.

They expect to get reamed. Stade 3 probably means vastly lower turnout, in turn leaving some elbow room to save face arguing about how the results are unrepresentative ?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Absenteeism is going to be through the roof. If less than half the population votes how is it considered legitimate?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Absenteeism is going to be through the roof. If less than half the population votes how is it considered legitimate?

56% according to BFMTV

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Maya Fey posted:

56% according to BFMTV

Wow. My partner is working for the vote, which worried her a bit, but sure seems like she's not seeing anyone today.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Macron... Macron never changes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ugh the gently caress

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1241075986097213450?s=20

Clearly the problem isn't that there are no masks but that us morons don't know how to wear them. If only something could have been done about that, too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The worst of it is, despite the administration's arrogance, condescension, and paternalism I still come off as impressed, because my only other presidential point of comparison is loving Donald Trump and all his bullshit.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, some Coronavirus stats from https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

quote:

France, France
Confirmed: 14,459
Deaths: 562
Recovered: 12
Active: 13,885

quote:

St Martin, France
Confirmed: 4
Deaths: 0
Recovered: 0
Active: 4

quote:

Saint Barthelemy, France
Confirmed: 3
Active: 3

quote:

Guadeloupe
Confirmed: 56
Active: 56

quote:

Martinique
Confirmed: 37
Deaths: 1
Active: 36

quote:

Mayotte
Confirmed: 11
Active: 11

quote:

Reunion
Confirmed: 47
Active: 47

quote:

New Caledonia, France
Confirmed: 4
Active: 4

quote:

French Polynesia, France
Confirmed: 15
Active: 15

quote:

French Guiana
Confirmed: 18
Recovered: 6
Active: 12

Wallis & Futuna and St. Pierre & Miquelon are so far not affected. But I find Guyane's case to be especially interesting, a 33% recovery rate is the highest we have.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Keeping a laser focus on what *really* matters in a global sanitary crisis : corporate profits.

Also:
https://twitter.com/VictorLaby_/status/1241737491092144128

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43mFQnxgLY8

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

I see the Watch Dogs Legion viral marketing is on point.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stay home you disobedient fucks, it's your fault that we have to get tough on you criminal outside goers

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1242365433619021824

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Haha yeah I saw that this morning. Dude went all out calling for an "armée des ombres" (because "we're at war") of the unemployed to rise up and go pick up produce in the fields for the good of the country, because obviously we can't rely on North African migrant workers to do it anymore. No mention of paying anyone for it, of course. L'appel du 18 juin, version :catdrugs:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

unpacked robinhood posted:

Stay home you disobedient fucks, it's your fault that we have to get tough on you criminal outside goers

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1242365433619021824

Channeling that good Black Plague energy

"Les moiffons ne feronst poinct faytes, famine et chesretés guettoins si adieu luy pauperes ne les fissent, ett à l'oeil s'il vous pluct !"

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

Channeling that good Black Plague energy

"Les moiffons ne feronst poinct faytes, famine et chesretés guettoins si adieu luy pauperes ne les fissent, ett à l'oeil s'il vous pluct !"

Ce quoi cet accent? Je n'ai rien compris!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I like how it's been a week and we have centrists proposing a Great Leap Forward for lettuce

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ce quoi cet accent? Je n'ai rien compris!

It's a joke about Middle French, the way English-speaking people would joke about ye olde forume poste or whatever

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

lost in postation posted:

It's a joke about Middle French, the way English-speaking people would joke about ye olde forume poste or whatever

I see. It's pretty. The most middle French thing I've read, but it was more Old French I think was La Chanson de Roland and Le Roman de Renart, which I really appreciated. I thought it was cool how more Spanish sounding it looked. I obviously read the modern translation that was printed just alongside it.

I don't think I've read any middle French, at least nothing that was memorable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also "moiffons" and "feront" is the same joke you often find in English about the old "long s" (ſ) being read as an f nowadays. It's "moissons", harvests, and "serons", will be.

For more middle French I recommend Villon's ballade des pendus. It's a great text, mostly understandable directly.

It's also interesting to see how some words evolved, like for example "absouldre" still had the "l" it eventually lost but which you can find in "absolve".

(I first read it in CM2. The teacher started us with la complainte de Mandrin and then followed it with Villon's text as kind of a thematic sequel to Mandrin getting hanged. I'm sure nowadays these texts would be found very inappropriate and traumatizing for children, heh.)

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 24, 2020

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Also "moiffons" and "feront" is the same joke you often find in English about the old "long s" (ſ) being read as an f nowadays. It's "moissons", harvests, and "serons", will be.

For more middle French I recommend Villon's ballade des pendus. It's a great text, mostly understandable directly.

It's also interesting to see how some words evolved, like for example "absouldre" still had the "l" it eventually lost but which you can find in "absolve".

(I first read it in CM2. The teacher started us with la complainte de Mandrin and then followed it with Villon's text as kind of a thematic sequel to Mandrin getting hanged. I'm sure nowadays these texts would be found very inappropriate and traumatizing for children, heh.)
Yeah, i kinda agree with the teacher's opinion that kids those days should be forced to read Villon, Vidocq and Lacenaire before they are 12.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.capital.fr/entreprises-marches/il-ny-a-quun-fabricant-de-chloroquine-en-france-et-il-est-en-redressement-judiciaire-1365444

:laffo:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Well, that's just great

quote:

PARIS (Reuters) - The number of people in France who have died from coronavirus is much higher than the official daily government tally, which only accounts for those dying in hospitals and does not include those dying at home or in retirement homes, the head of the hospitals federation said.

“We only know the data provided by hospitals... The increase in the official data is already major, but the absolute numbers would no doubt be effectively much higher if we aggregated what is happening in retirement homes as well as the people who die at home,” Frederic Valletoux, president of the French hospitals federation, said on France Info radio.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

that privately run homes were reluctant to report data.

They are going to keep charging the families for a while because they don't want to lose dozens of tenants at once aren't they

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

lost in postation posted:

Yup :). Also about the au feeling spelling & grammar found in documents up to the (very late) Modern era ; and the frequent peppering of Latin/Occitan words by Middle Age clerics whenever they forgot or didn't have a "real" French word at hand.

But, translated : "If the harvest isn't done, famine and price hikes are to be feared. Poor people, go out and do them, and for free if you please !"

It's all the more ridiculous that a) France, like most every Western country, wastes a huge amount of its agricultural produce just because it's not prettyyyy so even if this year we miss out on 50% of the harvest we'll likely still get just as many strawberries, peaches & lettuces (just not the prettiest of the pretty ones) and b) none of that concerns actual staple crops like wheat, corn, 'taters... which are easily picked mechanically.
Bottomline : contrary to what asshat implies, we won't starve. Not this year, not any year. We're not in the loving Middle Ages any more.

The only (but this one very real) risk is to the bottomline of peasants who planted strawberries or lettuces this year, don't have anybody at hand to pick them , and will likely eat a stone loss. (and while the argument of "haha no more Algerians and Poles to pick them for pennies, rear end in a top hat !" is not altogether wrong, it's also true than there simply aren't enough able bodied, unemployed, non_confined young people in the French countryside to help there). It's harsh, it really is. They'll need a handout, like so many other people and corps de métier will when the crisis is over.
But for some reason, those fuckmooks don't ever ask for the exceptional solidarity of billionaires and corporations nor raise solidarity taxes on large fortunes in this time of crisis... Odd, that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kobal2 posted:

The only (but this one very real) risk is to the bottomline of peasants who planted strawberries or lettuces this year, don't have anybody at hand to pick them , and will likely eat a stone loss. (and while the argument of "haha no more Algerians and Poles to pick them for pennies, rear end in a top hat !" is not altogether wrong, it's also true than there simply aren't enough able bodied, unemployed, non_confined young people in the French countryside to help there). It's harsh, it really is. They'll need a handout, like so many other people and corps de métier will when the crisis is over.

There's also the fact that, if it costs them X€ per kg to produce $CROP, then the centrales will buy them at X-0.5€ per kg. So they're entirely reliant on subsidies to survive.

The solution, of course, would be to have a state that practice price regulation, putting a floor to the price at which it's bought from the producer, and a ceiling to the price at which it's sold to the consumers. Subsidies would now longer be needed. Hiring seasonal help that works for less than minimum wage would no longer be necessary. But that just wouldn't be liberal, now, would it?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh so now the government is saying they'll invest massively in the hospital system. Good thing it will only have taken a few tens of thousands deaths (probably, when this is over), huh.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Kassad posted:

Oh so now the government is saying they'll invest massively in the hospital system. Good thing it will only have taken a few tens of thousands deaths (probably, when this is over), huh.

Naaaah, don't worry brah, Manu said "when the crisis is over, we'll discuss doing a money thing for our Heroes".
Meaning, when their heroics aren't needed any more. Meaning when he can feel free to forget the promise, and send his beloved FDO to bust their teeth in should they have the subversive idea to remember it ; or the downright petty and mercenary notion that their heroics should be rewarded in cash.

Right now however, the urgency is in gutting the Code du Travail. Chaque chose en son temps.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
:guillotine:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
We can thank our healthcare personnel and promise them better funding to do their work, and en même temps continue to follow the same policy of screwing them up, along with everyone else who's not a billionaire.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Cat Mattress posted:

We can thank our healthcare personnel and promise them better funding to do their work, and en même temps continue to follow the same policy of screwing them up, along with everyone else who's not a billionaire.

Il aura quand même bien fait le taf le fameux "en même temps", du coup.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/LeHuffPost/status/1243951627817680896

Il y a eu du retard sur les mesures de confinement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Cool country:

https://twitter.com/raphkempf/status/1243956219796168706