Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you'd like to point and laugh at Germany some more, it's now looking like it's likely that the 2020 opening of the Berlin-Brandenburg airport (BER) will have to be postponed yet again, probably to 2022. If you haven't read anything about BER, it might surprise you to hear that it was originally scheduled to open in 2011, but the opening had to be delayed several times due to countless technical flaws. Germany's technical oversight agency had found more than HALF A MILLION technical flaws in its audit that caused the last significant delay a couple of years back.

To explain exactly how this could happen would take too long, so the tl;dr version is: BER was supposed to be the shiny jewel in European commercial air travel shown-off by the recently reunited Germany (yes, "recently", because that's how far back the planning goes), so the supervisory board was stacked with politicians that had no clue how to build an airport. What ensued was a comical amount of incompetence, stupidity, and corruption, it's all there. A perfect storm of stupid.

If you'd like to dive into the the specifics, read through the "construction progress" section on the BER Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brandenburg_Airport#Delayed_opening_and_construction_flaws

A selection of my favorite items:
  • the entirety of the airport's 750 flight display boards have to be replaced due to reaching the end of their service life. If you're asking yourself "But the airport never opened, how could they reach the end of their service life without someone turning them on and running them for 7 straight years with simulated departure/arrival data?", you can figure out the answer
  • the fire detection system, which had been pivotal in the countless delays, was so far beyond hope of being redesigned/repaired, that the planning company at some point had employees with mobile phones at key points acting as a human early warning system. They decided the then-scheduled opening could be achieved by continuing this makeshift solution during the regular operation of the airport, so the inclusion of SEVEN HUNDRED HUMAN FIRE SPOTTERS was submitted in the official proposal to the authorities
  • the smoke removal system built into the airport's architectural layout is unique in that it doesn't vent the smoke through exhausts on the roof like every other system on the planet, because the designers "didn't like the aesthetics". Instead, a complex system of ducts was installed that would vent the smoke laterally, and then downward, through the loving basement beneath the airport before expelling it. If you're asking "doesn't that defy basic physics like the chimney effect?", you're right on the money
    Bonus-points if you're thinking "How could something that stupid have been designed and approved unless the guy designing it forged his credentials as an engineer, and his design was green-lit because it wowed the oversight board with it's impressive audacity?"
  • about 700km of cabling have to be replaced because the subterranean cable-ducts weren't water-proofed and have corroded away
  • the original architect, a literal noble, envisioned the plans with an absolute minimum of retail zones because "he didn't like shops", and the impact of this wasn't noticed until construction of the terminal was almost completed, so they had to add extra floors
  • the state-secretary of Brandenburg and member of the oversight board had been earning a full salary and pension for 5 years as airport head for an airport that had never opened
  • the only traffic the railway station is seeing is a train being circulated daily to "keep the air moving"
  • a spokesman for the planning company was fired for being "too honest" in an interview where he said that anyone making assurances regarding the opening date of BER is on drugs

There is so much more to read up on in that story, words don't really do it justice

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48527308

oh my god I'm reading the attached wiki article and you forgot to mention that a whistleblower was loving poisoned

Also that even when the airport's completed, as designed it's now too small to take over the capacity of the three smaller airports it was supposed to replace.

this is the craziest thing I've read all week, what an insane loving rabbit hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

bird food bathtub posted:

*sigh*

"Once again" he says, knowing the futility "Imagine if Obama had done this."

It would be a weeks long endless blasting of how much that filthy urban thug unpatriotic anti-American was wasting our money taking his friends to other countries.

https://i.imgur.com/5ZrgCer.mp4

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh, to further exactly how much Carlson is a shameless propaganda minister and also a white supremacist I present this, stolen from D&D:

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1145355152846741504?s=20

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

bird food bathtub posted:

Oh, to further exactly how much Carlson is a shameless propaganda minister and also a white supremacist I present this, stolen from D&D:

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1145355152846741504?s=20

It’s official: Tuck will defend anything. He’s absolutely fash

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you'd like to point and laugh at Germany some more, it's now looking like it's likely that the 2020 opening of the Berlin-Brandenburg airport (BER) will have to be postponed yet again, probably to 2022. If you haven't read anything about BER, it might surprise you to hear that it was originally scheduled to open in 2011, but the opening had to be delayed several times due to countless technical flaws. Germany's technical oversight agency had found more than HALF A MILLION technical flaws in its audit that caused the last significant delay a couple of years back.

To explain exactly how this could happen would take too long, so the tl;dr version is: BER was supposed to be the shiny jewel in European commercial air travel shown-off by the recently reunited Germany (yes, "recently", because that's how far back the planning goes), so the supervisory board was stacked with politicians that had no clue how to build an airport. What ensued was a comical amount of incompetence, stupidity, and corruption, it's all there. A perfect storm of stupid.

If you'd like to dive into the the specifics, read through the "construction progress" section on the BER Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brandenburg_Airport#Delayed_opening_and_construction_flaws

A selection of my favorite items:
  • the entirety of the airport's 750 flight display boards have to be replaced due to reaching the end of their service life. If you're asking yourself "But the airport never opened, how could they reach the end of their service life without someone turning them on and running them for 7 straight years with simulated departure/arrival data?", you can figure out the answer
  • the fire detection system, which had been pivotal in the countless delays, was so far beyond hope of being redesigned/repaired, that the planning company at some point had employees with mobile phones at key points acting as a human early warning system. They decided the then-scheduled opening could be achieved by continuing this makeshift solution during the regular operation of the airport, so the inclusion of SEVEN HUNDRED HUMAN FIRE SPOTTERS was submitted in the official proposal to the authorities
  • the smoke removal system built into the airport's architectural layout is unique in that it doesn't vent the smoke through exhausts on the roof like every other system on the planet, because the designers "didn't like the aesthetics". Instead, a complex system of ducts was installed that would vent the smoke laterally, and then downward, through the loving basement beneath the airport before expelling it. If you're asking "doesn't that defy basic physics like the chimney effect?", you're right on the money
    Bonus-points if you're thinking "How could something that stupid have been designed and approved unless the guy designing it forged his credentials as an engineer, and his design was green-lit because it wowed the oversight board with it's impressive audacity?"
  • about 700km of cabling have to be replaced because the subterranean cable-ducts weren't water-proofed and have corroded away
  • the original architect, a literal noble, envisioned the plans with an absolute minimum of retail zones because "he didn't like shops", and the impact of this wasn't noticed until construction of the terminal was almost completed, so they had to add extra floors
  • the state-secretary of Brandenburg and member of the oversight board had been earning a full salary and pension for 5 years as airport head for an airport that had never opened
  • the only traffic the railway station is seeing is a train being circulated daily to "keep the air moving"
  • a spokesman for the planning company was fired for being "too honest" in an interview where he said that anyone making assurances regarding the opening date of BER is on drugs

There is so much more to read up on in that story, words don't really do it justice

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48527308

I thought this stopped being a thing Germany did way back in the 40s

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Deathy McDeath posted:

It’s official: Tuck will defend anything. He’s absolutely fash

Best bit is all the commentators lamenting the scores of Trump backers 'abandoning their principles' as though the same sort of thing wasn't right out in the open back in the 80s with Reagan and the Contras, Saddam, Pinochet, etc etc

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Best bit is all the commentators lamenting the scores of Trump backers 'abandoning their principles' as though the same sort of thing wasn't right out in the open back in the 80s with Reagan and the Contras, Saddam, Pinochet, etc etc

I think you might be misunderstanding what they mean when they say 'abandoning their principles'.

I think they mean white supremacy and fascism.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Some more choice facts from BER:

In anticipation of the opening, they've been running "phantom" operations at it for about two years now. They try to have the people actually do something that matters, like having them work off-site for the airports that are actually open, but a ton of people are running make-believe drills. Personell costs alone are upwards of 25 million monthly. Upkeep is about another 20 million.

Then there's a fun detail that could legit end the whole undertaking: around 40,000 plastic screw anchors were used in the lime-sandstone bricks to secure cable ducts, and while the use of the lime-sandstone bricks was already in violation of building code, the plastic screw anchors are both in violation of building code and fire safety regulations.

If no "legal" way to certify the anchors is found, uh...you have to dismantle the building

Tell Angela I have a bridge to sell her

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Things are definitely worse now.

2003: We will be greeted as liberators and Iraq will have freedom and McDonalds and maybe an Arbys, and we're doing this cause 9/11.

2019: We're going to skull gently caress the Iraqis to death, women and children first because we're white Christians and they're not.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

sometimes as a leader you gotta do some murderin, what's the big deal yall

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

2003: We will be greeted as liberators and Iraq will have freedom and McDonalds and maybe an Arbys, and we're doing this cause 9/11.

2019: We're going to skull gently caress the Iraqis to death, women and children first because we're white Christians and they're not.

Fwiw the embargo that went from ‘92 to ‘03 was responsible for like 500k children’s deaths due to various reasons, so business as usual. It was like a soft opening at The American Policy Bistro.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Christ, the BER airport thing sounds like a last week tonight episode.

In other news, the poo poo apple doesn't fall far from the poo poo tree

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1144432184608088064?s=19

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slim Pickens posted:

what what what lol

did anyone tell Jamaicans they aint black?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LingcodKilla posted:

what what what lol

did anyone tell Jamaicans they aint black?

It's a weird nationalist thing

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJ30mfaF9Y

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Casimir Radon posted:

One thing that twitlibs are kind of right about is that the end result of your 2003/2019 comparison hasn't actually changed much over time. The only thing that has changed is how they talk about it.

The veneer of morality is gone, but the results are still the same.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Groverflughafen

How much does "human fire alarm" pay, anyway?

My German is only passable, but I can scream FEUER verrrry loudly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ElMaligno posted:

It's a weird nationalist thing

Its not at all a weird nationalist thing. It's due to historic racism. People have had to spend centuries trying to find a reason to say they weren't black, because being black in America meant you were at best 3/5 of a person.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
My initial assumption was that the statement was national not ethnic, but Kamala Harris was born in Oakland.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

piL posted:

My initial assumption was that the statement was national not ethnic, but Kamala Harris was born in Oakland.

Ah, I get what you mean there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

piL posted:

Ifs she’s so proud of her heritage why doesn’t she move back to were her parents are from????!!!??

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
really glad this lady was in the debates

https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1145389788775636992

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
She's my #3 right now. I want her as VP or secretary of state, whichever one Bernie doesn't give to Warren.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arc Light posted:

How much does "human fire alarm" pay, anyway?

Generally in the E-1 to E-3 range from what I've seen.

Like, I've seen that done for when the alarm system is down for maintenance or repairs or whatever, for like a day or two. The idea that it would be a normal, planned part of operating a building is loving mind blowing. (as is that entire story)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

want harris to use this as her campaign song now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kga2soqvMF0

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

:stare:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Probably do Cory Booker more good tbh

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Love won at Stalingrad. Love of Mother Russia, love of kicking out the Nazis.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3nzuv87ik4

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Love won at Stalingrad. Love of Mother Russia, love of kicking out the Nazis.

Love of killing Nazis.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
E: wrong tweet link.

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1145331727465930753?s=21

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 30, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I should probably also mention that the airport is going to be undersized in relation to the traffic it's supposed to handle. Like, comically undersized.

I mean how much worse can it be than Tegel?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Glenn Kessler over at the Washington Post did some fact checking.

Fact: Glenn Kessler is a loving idiot.

quote:

“Three people in this country own more wealth than the bottom half of America”

—Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)

This snappy talking point is based on numbers that add up, but it’s also a question of comparing apples to oranges. Sanders is drawing on a 2017 report from the left-leaning Institute for Policy Studies, which said that three billionaires — Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos (who owns The Washington Post) and Warren Buffett — had total wealth of $248.5 billion, compared to $245 billion for the bottom 160 million of the United States. The wealth of the three men has gone up even more since then.

But people in the bottom half have essentially no wealth, as debts cancel out whatever assets they might have. So the comparison is not especially meaningful. We once gave Sanders Three Pinocchios when he asserted that the six wealthiest people had more wealth than the half of the world’s population. That was an even more problematic comparison, and we said at the time it was better to focus on inequality within a country.

Hmm, yes. "It doesn't count to have more wealth than people who have no weath."

quote:

“Millions of Americans are forced to work two or three jobs just to survive.”

— Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)

Bureau of Labor Statistics data shows that nearly 8 million people hold more than one job. But most of those extra jobs are part time, not full time. And the “millions” of people amount to just 5 percent of Americans with jobs. So that means 95 percent of workers are not working two or three jobs “just to survive,” making this a misleading statement.

"Eight million people is only 5% of workers in the US, so 95% of US workers only need one job so this statement is misleading somehow."

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

"yeah he said millions. but he didn't mean billionaire millions. eight million? lmfao get away from me you poors"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Flying_Crab posted:

I mean how much worse can it be than Tegel?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

McNally posted:

I'm confused as to what this guy is trying to say

"Three guys own more wealth than the bottom 160 million people" != "Three guys own more wealth than the bottom 160 Million people because the bottom 160 million people have no assets when you take into account debts." ?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The guy who designed the terminal also designed the puzzlebox so now it's stuck shut and they just hired a couple guys who promise to show you such sights but really they just gesture vaguely off into the middle distance

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

Fact: Glenn Kessler is a loving idiot.

Hmm, yes. "It doesn't count to have more wealth than people who have no weath."

"Eight million people is only 5% of workers in the US, so 95% of US workers only need one job so this statement is misleading somehow."

This is an impressive level of disingenuousness.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is an impressive level of disingenuousness.

welcome to the Washington Post and NY Times coverage of Bernard Sanders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Loving airport chat to close.out the month. Also, what's the problem with Trump walking into NK? It should have been done a long time ago imo. I loving hate Trump just for reference.