Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I forgot the Astros/Rockies series is in Mexico City.

When MLB sends its teams, they're not sending their best. They're sending teams that have a lot of problems and are bringing their problems with them. They're bringing high ERA. They're bringing low OPS. They're chokers. And some, I assume, are good baseball players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They probably sent the Rockies less because they're terrible and more because they're the only MLB team located anywhere near Mexico City's altitude.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

The Toronto Blue Jays are poop from a butt. And that butt stinks. Like poop.

The starting pitching has been mostly fine, the bullpen is shallow but passable maybe(?), but man the batting is just dreadful. I dont know enough about baseball to know if its a head/batting coaching thing or if its something else. But its not even fun to watch.

Dalton Varsho is their best hitter

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

The Toronto Blue Jays are poop from a butt. And that butt stinks. Like poop.

The starting pitching has been mostly fine, the bullpen is shallow but passable maybe(?), but man the batting is just dreadful. I dont know enough about baseball to know if its a head/batting coaching thing or if its something else. But its not even fun to watch.

it's impressive how they're somehow worse than last year

just an utterly unwatchable team

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I don't think I've ever seen the blue jays get more resoundingly whipped in person than yesterday, and I went to game 2 of the wildcard last year and a lot of 2022 Jose Berrios starts.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1784263554419372289?s=46&t=OxNS0oQRTXMDiN4qEfSnlQ

This should be fun.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

I guess as much fun as a 2024 Cardinals/Mets game can be

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Do not even ask posted:

it's impressive how they're somehow worse than last year

just an utterly unwatchable team

Look at what the Astros did to them. The Astros.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1784277327817429486

You gotta be kidding me

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
we need to look to the past and see what worked with pitchers then
https://x.com/Very__Regular/status/1784214459570934003

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mordecai Brown was missing fingers on his pitching hand, maybe we need to do that again

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mordecai Brown was missing fingers on his pitching hand, maybe we need to do that again

I miss the days where Trevor Bauer was not confirmed to be a psycho and the biggest joke against him was almost slicing a finger off his pitching hand because he hosed around with a drone.

I do not, however, miss Trevor Bauer.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

elentar posted:

GET ME ANTHONY RENDON'S DENTIST

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

When MLB sends its teams, they're not sending their best. They're sending teams that have a lot of problems and are bringing their problems with them. They're bringing high ERA. They're bringing low OPS. They're chokers. And some, I assume, are good baseball players.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

elentar posted:

Errr, what was the logic with the teeth?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blind Pineapple posted:

:sad:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Captain Log posted:

for a good long while if you had any problems with your teeth or even if you didn't they'd just pull all yours out since you'd be wearing dentures eventually anyway and it'd save money and be more aesthetic in the long run

(yes this was more commonly done to young women to spare their husbands the future expense but also quite a bit across the board)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Captain Log posted:

don't question old time doctors, they're cooking

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Captain Log posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_infection_theory

There was an underlying belief that a lot of illnesses came from "oral sepsis" but lefty in particular had gotten hit in the mouth with a comebacker and had some dental work on his front teeth in march 1930. This lead the team to think that the reason he wasn't gaining weight was because of an infection in those teeth so they just pulled em all and replaced them with false ones.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
When Christy Mathewson managed the Reds he tried to have all his players get tonsillectomies, so they would play better.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Glad we are out of that era of quackery and in recent years had scientific and evidence based practices to improve play, like phiten necklaces or teammates sharing the same thong

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

one really consistent thing about humanity is we've always been huge dumbasses and will continue to find ways to be

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

How the gently caress do the Cardinals STILL not have their road blues??? It's almost loving May!

That guy holding the sign that says "our expectations were already low but HOLY gently caress" but about Fanatics.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

elentar posted:

one really consistent thing about humanity is we've always been huge dumbasses and will continue to find ways to be

pattern recognition brain makes us both the smartest animals on the planet and the dumbest idiots ever

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Sydin posted:

How the gently caress do the Cardinals STILL not have their road blues??? It's almost loving May!

That guy holding the sign that says "our expectations were already low but HOLY gently caress" but about Fanatics.

How can you expect a multi-billion dollar company to turn around and make 100 jerseys over 6 months??

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.mlb.com/news/shota-imanaga-allows-one-run-in-career-high-6-1-3-innings-vs-red-sox

quote:

BOSTON -- Cubs president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer walked into his office on Thursday and found a book that another front-office member had left on his desk. It was a book on pitching that lefty Shota Imanaga published last year in Japan, offering mental and physical guidance for younger pitchers.

“I can’t read it, obviously,” Hoyer said with a laugh on Friday, sitting in the visitors’ dugout at Fenway Park. “But it just shows you that’s what he’s like. He’s very thoughtful. Obviously, he has the nickname of ‘The Pitching Philosopher.’”

As for the book on Hoyer’s desk?

“It’s going to take a while to read that book,” Imanaga quipped. “I’m going to have [Imanaga's translator] Edwin help him out.”

I loving love Shota Imanaga. :allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://x.com/alexspeier/status/1784308479030648997?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Oh my friend Cash Considerations is on the move again

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs and Angels are the only two teams who still haven't played a divisional opponent yet. Cubs will finally on May 3rd and the Angels will on May 17th.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
very cool scheduling system they implemented

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

elentar posted:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
:siren:Matt Mervis is pitching for the Cubs and it's sadly not going well:siren:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol they had to bring in another position player in relief of Mervis because he was getting crushed

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I know we can go back and forth on pitcher injuries but pretty sure at least that a lot of the problems have been seeded by overuse at the high school and college levels, just completely perverse that all the incentives are geared towards tossing your pitchers till they break

https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/1784352191068750046?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Caleb Williams and the Bears fall to the white hot Patriots, 17-0

He is not him :(

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The best part will be when the Cubs win the series with a -10 run differential

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
N:https://twitter.com/schwartzstops/status/1784241582457168337
V: This feels like it should have a redundancy, or he bogarts someone's phone/laptop

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ronel Blanco being good continues to gently caress with my head.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

Ronel Blanco being good continues to gently caress with my head.

Gonna end up the Trout of the Astros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Apparently Jordan Wicks has been scratched from his start tomorrow with forearm tightness and may need an IL stint. We will get WezNASTY in his place. :rip: