Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's no way Dirk isn't going to enter Trickster Mode. Come on, now, seriously. He's going to be last so that we'll get to see him, alone and cool, using all of his skill in a futile effort to evade three tricksters bearing down on him, his friends trying to get him to loosen up and emote. It's naturally following a pattern of escalation, from the most sincere and open characters to the least. Dirk is the only character (with a mouth) whom we've never seen smile - it may take literally supernatural happiness to break his façade, but it will break.

They're not in any danger here; I don't know why you guys are worried. There may be side effects to Trickster Mode but it also appears to render them perfectly safe from everything else. If you want something to be scared about, consider how Jane just immobilized Roxy with a terrible hypnotic glare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Bongo Bill posted:

There's no way Dirk isn't going to enter Trickster Mode.

If trickster mode is some sort of manic, invincible, amped-up version of the kids' normal personalities, then a trickster Prince of Heart is going to be terrifying. I always wondered how Dirk was going to dramatically destroy with his personality, maybe this is how.

On another note, I was talking with a friend recently, and I brought up this, you know, with Rose walking through all the curtains? Well, I'd thought there were seven green curtains she walked through, thus Act 6 subacts 1-5.1,5.2, and 6. But it turns out there are only six curtains, meaning there will be no Act 6.6

Now, I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not, but keep in mind Act 7 is intended to be an epilogue, significantly shorter than the other acts. Which means Act 6 has to wrap up the story, and deal with the villain. And 5.2 has to wrap up Act 6.

We're in the last subact of the last major act of Homestuck.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thz8P0ZfcgY

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Starmaker posted:

If trickster mode is some sort of manic, invincible, amped-up version of the kids' normal personalities, then a trickster Prince of Heart is going to be terrifying. I always wondered how Dirk was going to dramatically destroy with his personality, maybe this is how.

On another note, I was talking with a friend recently, and I brought up this, you know, with Rose walking through all the curtains? Well, I'd thought there were seven green curtains she walked through, thus Act 6 subacts 1-5.1,5.2, and 6. But it turns out there are only six curtains, meaning there will be no Act 6.6

Now, I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not, but keep in mind Act 7 is intended to be an epilogue, significantly shorter than the other acts. Which means Act 6 has to wrap up the story, and deal with the villain. And 5.2 has to wrap up Act 6.

And considering how absurdly long Act 5.2 took, I'm sure Hussie can stretch 6.5.2 very, very long.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm fond of the prediction that Hussie's going to nest sub-sub-acts and sub-sub-sub-acts until the climax at the end of Act 6 Act 5 Act 4 Act 3 Act 2 Act 1.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Dirk is so completely hosed now. If not even Roxy could get away... :(

e: I know there is a thread for fanart, but i think this deserves to be posted here.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 16, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I want to see all three Tricksters ganging up on Dirk. And seeing Dirk lose to them, of course. The PSS Ghostbuster Battlecruiser and the Makeout Meteor need to arrive in the middle of all-encompassing Trickster madness.

You know about Dave's insecurity wrt. his Bro? This alone justifies that the first thing to greet him in the Alpha universe is Trickster Dirk.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Basically, these updates make me fully support Caliborn murdering Caliope.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Reene posted:

Dirk will make a gesture at fixing the situation but will gently caress it up and get Trickster'd.

The beta kids will show up to find their kid-progenitors acting like candied up idiots. Dave's mind will literally shatter into a million pieces from the trauma.

The reason Gamzee is helping Caliborn is he saw the spread of Tricksters first-hand, and now he wanna to kill the whole session with fire.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

Basically, these updates make me fully support Caliborn murdering Caliope.

Yeah, i'm starting to realize that he was the Good Guy all along.

Almost like... switching the hats on chess pieces.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, if Trickster Mode powers you up and Jake made that Pumpkin out of nothing, I'm going to be awfully smug, since I've been saying forever that Page powers have to do with imagination and a Page of hope would believe in things so hard that they become real.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know people are describing this as terrifying and as big a horror interlude as the trollpocalypse, but to be honest this still doesn't actually seem very scary. No one's been permanently harmed yet, all we've seen is a lot of free-flowing drama that'll probably result in awkward feelings when this gets resolved. If they started killing people and we got a sense that anyone could die or anything could go wrong at this point, as we did with the trollpocalypse, then it might have some actual tension, but at the moment this just feels like a way to unwind the plot and force us through a whole bunch of confrontations really quickly.

This isn't to disparage the sequence. It's a fun and interesting turn of events and it's helping to resolve all their pent-up interpersonal drama by getting everyone to loudly voice what they've been hiding from each other, plus god knows what they'll do once they're all trickstered, it's just not very tense. Hell, Dirk getting trickstered at this point is pretty predictable, since the alternative is Dirk seeming like the only competent one again which doesn't seem to fit with the current theme of resolving tension and interpersonal drama. Now, if they murder him and the part of Dirk is carried on through the rest of the story through all his fragments, then things'll be back to tense and freaky.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Right, if you really stop and think it over it's not that horrifying - it's almost certainly temporary and not really harmful, and Calliope thought of it as a gift. It's really akin to some kind of drug. But it's still characters we know having their identities subsumed to an outside force, portrayed as a "Join us..." body-snatchers scenario.

I'm intrigued about the fact that Calliope and Caliborn had the two haves of the sucker - that would imply that if they successfully merged their personalities at maturity, the combined adult cherub would have access to it, and could then become an adult trickster cherub, which we saw looks like Lil Cal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
We're largely calling it 'terrifying' as a joke, but I think there is the core of something legitimately horrifying here, it's just more abstract and complex than death. When they get Trickster'd, they turn into a... not a parody, or a caricature, but something similar, something that isn't them. Sure Jane and Jake are still alive, and they seem quite happy, but by many metrics these... aren't Jane and Jake, at least not in full. The way I red it, Trickster Mode has hijacked parts of their self, and is basically acting entirely on emotion and impulse. And that's not good. You saw how pre-Trickster Jake and Roxy were responding, they were terrified and for good reason. Your friend turning into some sort of ridiculously energetic, superpowered, candy-coated... thing that barely resembles them in demeanor, only acting on their base desires and whatever catches their eye at the time? You're right, it's not death, but it's still a scary thing.

You seem to view a lot of things in the long-term, Dolash, which is fine, but this is more of a short-term fear. And even thinking long-term, we don't know enough about Trickster Mode to know what long-term effects this even has. We've just sort of... assumed, that there's even a way to shut it off. For all we know there isn't, and they're stuck like this.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cleretic posted:

We're largely calling it 'terrifying' as a joke, but I think there is the core of something legitimately horrifying here, it's just more abstract and complex than death. When they get Trickster'd, they turn into a... not a parody, or a caricature, but something similar, something that isn't them. Sure Jane and Jake are still alive, and they seem quite happy, but by many metrics these... aren't Jane and Jake, at least not in full. The way I red it, Trickster Mode has hijacked parts of their self, and is basically acting entirely on emotion and impulse. And that's not good. You saw how pre-Trickster Jake and Roxy were responding, they were terrified and for good reason. Your friend turning into some sort of ridiculously energetic, superpowered, candy-coated... thing that barely resembles them in demeanor, only acting on their base desires and whatever catches their eye at the time? You're right, it's not death, but it's still a scary thing.

You seem to view a lot of things in the long-term, Dolash, which is fine, but this is more of a short-term fear. And even thinking long-term, we don't know enough about Trickster Mode to know what long-term effects this even has. We've just sort of... assumed, that there's even a way to shut it off. For all we know there isn't, and they're stuck like this.

You make fine points, but I'm pretty sure we can say they won't stay like this for the rest of the story. The trickster state is a little too flat for any of them to take advantage of all this truth they're spitting out at each other. At some point they have to regain their senses just so that we can see their reaction to everything they said and did while trickstered. I'd compare it to all the characters getting drunk and saying what they really think about each other - you need to show the scene of them sober the next day, dealing with it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's appropriate that the question of "Are you really you when you're under the influence of something that changes your thoughts and behavior?" should come up in a story that's digressed into so many other existentialist quandaries.

I'd also say it's appropriate that the form of this question should be so completely loving looney tunes, but I'm not sure why yet.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Cleretic posted:

CG: THERE ARE OUTCOMES THAT ARE EVEN WORSE THAN THE COMPLETE ANNIHILATION OF EXISTENCE ITSELF
CG: FORCES MORE DAMAGING TO THE INTEGRITY OF REALITY THAN THOSE CAPABLE OF TURNING IMAGINATION INTO PURE VOID
CG: THEY ARE FORCES WHICH IF HANDLED RECKLESSLY WILL NULLIFY THE BASIC ABILITY OF INTELLIGENT BEINGS IN ALL REAL AND HYPOTHETICAL PLANES OF EXISTENCE TO GIVE A poo poo.

I agree that Trickster Mode is about removing drama, but more specifically I think it's about the people who get angry about the kids being stupid and not taking the "obvious" solutions. Hussie is showing what happens when characters do take those solutions; they become two-dimensional, and we get a happy ending that isn't actually satisfying.

In-story, it actually reflects an interesting combination of Caliborn's and Calliope's tendencies. It shares the shallow writing and saccharine atmosphere that a lot of young fanfiction writers fall prey to, but at the same time there's been a fixation on getting to the parts with kissing and babies. I wonder if the other side of Caliborn's preferences will show soon, and the killing will start? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if they go after anyone who doesn't basically worship at their feet, since anyone who doesn't like self-inserts in fanfic is pretty much treated as a villain.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Starmaker posted:

The curtain for 5.2 is pink. We have one more subact.

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm fond of the prediction that Hussie's going to nest sub-sub-acts and sub-sub-sub-acts until the climax at the end of Act 6 Act 5 Act 4 Act 3 Act 2 Act 1.

Nah, he's just mirroring the act structure of the whole comic. Acts 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 even have a curtain color change like acts 5.1 and 5.2.

The sub-sub-acts won't ramp up until we hit Act 6 Act 6 Act 5 Act 2. :pcgaming:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Aside from the jollyhorror aspect of it, Tricksterizing Roxy at this point feels off. There was a sense of narrative progress with Jane going Trickster, and even with Jake. If Trickster Roxy behaves like the others though it will short circuit wherever it was she had been working on, to the extent the jailbreak and everything she did between then and now was completely pointless. Probably just need to see where this goes I guess.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

So Math posted:

The sub-sub-acts won't ramp up until we hit Act 6 Act 6 Act 5 Act 2. :pcgaming:
I want everything to keep ramping up for a infinitely recursive Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 Act 6[...] EOA6/climatic end flash. :getin:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It would be kind of funny if there wasn't much different to Trickster Roxy other than a new outfit and skin complexion, since she has the least amount of bottled up drama by far of the group.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Roxy is just going to talk like she normally does.

edit: ^^ :argh: That's what I get for not refreshing.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

toxic8aker posted:

I want everything to keep ramping up for a infinitely recursive Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 Act 6[...] EOA6/climatic end flash. :getin:

I hope it keeps going until Caliborn takes a crowbar to the act curtains themselves.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Any other Community fans here? Anyone else thinking of the glee club episode? I'm also reminded of David Lynch, who exaggerates sacharine and kitsch elements to the point that they become surreal and horrifying - check out the opening to his psychological thriller Mulholland Drive, or his NSFW video for his song "Crazy Clown Time."

That said, Trickster Mode's definitely not quite as creepy now that the shock has worn off. The blase discussion of sex (juxtaposed with candyland visuals) is still the most unsettling element, especially in a story that otherwise tiptoes around sexual content, but I'm a little nervous about Hussie pushing that any further (which means he almost certainly will).

Kinda hope Dirk goes full anime when he gets Tricksterized. "Oh! I am so kawaii ("cute") now that I am a peachy candy person! I- I hope English-Senpai will notice me!" *blushes*

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Thundarr posted:

Aside from the jollyhorror aspect of it, Tricksterizing Roxy at this point feels off. There was a sense of narrative progress with Jane going Trickster, and even with Jake. If Trickster Roxy behaves like the others though it will short circuit wherever it was she had been working on, to the extent the jailbreak and everything she did between then and now was completely pointless. Probably just need to see where this goes I guess.

This is exactly how I'm feeling about this. I hope her mission still leads up to something.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

So Math posted:

The curtain for 5.2 is pink. We have one more subact.

Ahh, I getcha, this 6.5.2 thing is just the trickster mode subact, we'll still have a normal, green-curtained 6.6. Obviously, this didn't come up in the Seer: Descend flash, but that was nearly two years ago... I can't imagine he planned this that far in advance. So we still have one more green curtain, that's a bit of a relief.

I still feel like Homestuck's gonna end on 4/13/13. I don't necessarily want it to, but it seems possible to me. Apparently I'm in the minority on that.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Starmaker posted:

I still feel like Homestuck's gonna end on 4/13/13. I don't necessarily want it to, but it seems possible to me. Apparently I'm in the minority on that.

How about May 30th?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Starmaker posted:

4/13/13 is about the length of Hivebent from now. Hivebent had about as many characters as the conclusion of Act 6 will involve, but they were shallower and there was a much sparser web of relations between them; not to mention,fewer plot devices were in play, more of which were already familiar to us. It also proceeded at a very rapid, compressed pace, with only one animation. Many of the events in it were skipped, summarized after the fact, or otherwise just not shown within that sub-act (or at all). It would be a very tall order, and result in a fairly suboptimal product, to fit everything that still needs to happen before the grand finale in that amount of time.

I mean, I guess it'd be easy if the most of the intervening time were spent in Trickster Mode, but that would nullify the basic ability of intelligent beings in all real and hypothetical planes of existence to give a poo poo.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

You know, I bet what's about to happen is that they go and successfully tricksterfy Dirk. After that Jake and Roxy bring up going god tier, they all decide it would be the neatest idea ever, and form the most caucasian peachiest suicide pact ever known.

Then they'll wake up as god tiers, snapped out of trickster mode and the jujus will split apart again.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Homestuck just became a cautionary tale about not accepting candy from strangers even if they are weird green skull-creatures from outer space. Well, especially if they are that. E can gently caress you up, man.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wrist Watch posted:

You know, I bet what's about to happen is that they go and successfully tricksterfy Dirk. After that Jake and Roxy bring up going god tier, they all decide it would be the neatest idea ever, and form the most caucasian peachiest suicide pact ever known.

Then they'll wake up as god tiers, snapped out of trickster mode and the jujus will split apart again.

They'll all get Trickster-fied just in time for the battleship to arrive and land on the lot of them for a 4x witchcrush combob.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
If there was ever a time we needed a time traveling hero/god, its now.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So ready for this Trickster Mode arc to be done and over with

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

So ready for this Trickster Mode arc to be done and over with

How come? I like it so far.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, I'm totally down with all of this. Characters are finally being blunt and not cagey, and there's pretty colors. I'll admit the glowing text is kinda hard to read, but otherwise everything is HUNKy dory.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why are some of you blaming Calliope for this? She was afraid that Caliborn would kill her and take the juju from her, she had no idea that Jane was going to get Caliborn's juju.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Roxy nooooo :negative:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I hope CD tells DD about this so that there's at least someone who know about it that might try to do something.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Samovar posted:

Why are some of you blaming Calliope for this? She was afraid that Caliborn would kill her and take the juju from her, she had no idea that Jane was going to get Caliborn's juju.

Calliope gave the juju away believing that she would convince Caliborn to do the same, with the intention of them combining. To what end she did this for, we may not know for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Why are you assuming she knew what combining them would do? She certainly never did so and thanks to Roxy she had no chance to observe any of this happening. All she saw her juju as was very beautiful and powerful.