Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Can't wait for the Musk fanbois to step up to the plate to defend that, whatever the gently caress that is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

ThanosWasRight posted:

So you're worried about more people getting access to legal marijuana? :shrug:

And that was a bad thing? Considering the state of medical care in this country a lot of drugs should be available over counter that aren't.

Birth Control
Antibiotics
Perscription Mouth Wash

I don't understand why I have to go to a Dentist and pay $100 (that I don't have) to get prescription mouth wash or pay a doctor $200 (that I definitely don't have) for antibiotics.

I bring back tons of Z-Packs whenever I go to a country that allows over the counter purchase of prescription medication and I've ran into so many poor food workers that were unable to afford or find time to go to a local doctor for an infection that I've given them away to.

America is a shithole third-world country and instead of acting like our laws need to be based on a place where people don't live in the streets and can barely make ends meet and sure as gently caress can't afford to visit a doctor or Dentist we should start adopting what those other countries do at a state level because we are completely and totally irredeemably hosed and there is no hope for anyone here to escape homelessness or minimum wage fast food work/cycle of poverty in their lifetimes.

Duder, I want full and total legalization; you're getting upset about the wrong thing. Arizona was whining about how much money they were spending on IDs and switched to a more difficult method for patients. The fact a PDF can be easily spoofed will lead to people getting denied, not easier access.

Reminder this is the same state whose government sold its offices, then rented them back.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

paperwind posted:

Can't wait for the Musk fanbois to step up to the plate to defend that, whatever the gently caress that is supposed to be.

A pickup truck, supposedly

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
at least the wheels are still circles and not other shapes on constant width. I bet if Musk heard of those the car would be even more stupid.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So he made a truck from Total Recall?

Does Elon have a half brother we should know about that was allowed to design it?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Wow. I'm pretty sure that the Truckla that robot Youtuber Simone Giertz made by hacking at a Tesla with an angle grinder looks better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R35gWBtLCYg

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 22, 2019

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Window smashing with sound.

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1197752957250523136

paperwind posted:

"It didn't go through!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7atGkba-Z8

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Lmao N64 games had better looking cars than that

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Oh no, I didn't realized the entire car was supposed to be indestructible. So how many years will it take for Musk to "invent" the crumple zone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ML4GA47Rg&t=122s

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

aware of dog posted:

Lmao N64 games had better looking cars than that

https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/1197741597691195393

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

:dudsmile:

"I wish video game graphics looked like real life!" :monkey's paw curls:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Doggles posted:

:dudsmile:

"I wish video game graphics looked like real life!" :monkey's paw curls:

$40k rwd,
$50k 2 motor, awd,
$70k 3 motor, awd with 500+ mi range and 0-60 in 2.6s

In-fiction range of the Warthog, a 12L, hydrogen powered IC engine: 490 miles.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 22, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ThanosWasRight posted:

So you're worried about more people getting access to legal marijuana? :shrug:

And that was a bad thing? Considering the state of medical care in this country a lot of drugs should be available over counter that aren't.

Its a bad thing for dispensaries and distributors as they were comitting a crime by selling a person weed if they werent medically licensed to consume it. poo poo was real yo

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/UguuUguu/status/1197742372991492096

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Nice companion vehicle to a Delorean in some collector's garage in 20 years

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Great design. You’d have to be 12 feet tall to grab anything out of the truck bed.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Doggles posted:

Oh no, I didn't realized the entire car was supposed to be indestructible. So how many years will it take for Musk to "invent" the crumple zone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ML4GA47Rg&t=122s

Yeah. Making a stiff, rigid car without crumple zones is a loving terrible idea. Then again I would not be surprised if Elon Musk isn't aware of the effect of sudden deceleration on your internal organs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I like weird angular designs but holy poo poo lmao. This is a rough sketch brought all the way to production.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When you realize you forgot to do your homework and have to half-rear end it at the last minute on the school bus.

That’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen. It’s actually less desirable than if the Homer were made in real life.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was a great night for the Pontiac Aztek.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

luxury handset posted:

gently caress, while i was looking at the livestream video it was closed and made private

Now you are trapped, forever screaming, in the broken glass window of the CyberTruck.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Are we 100% certain that this is not a bizarre, viral advertisement for a new cyberpunk game or movie? If someone had pulled out a pistol, shot the car, and taken out themselves or a bystander with the ricochet, this would fit perfectly in the television segments of the first Robocop.

Every single thing about it screams 90s cyberpunk. The neon graffiti CYBERTRUCK logo, the pyrotechnics, the PS1 graphics looking vehicle, the lasers, the red hologram-looking performance specs. What is going on?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arbetor posted:

Are we 100% certain that this is not a bizarre, viral advertisement for a new cyberpunk game or movie? If someone had pulled out a pistol, shot the car, and taken out themselves or a bystander with the ricochet, this would fit perfectly in the television segments of the first Robocop.

Every single thing about it screams 90s cyberpunk. The neon graffiti CYBERTRUCK logo, the pyrotechnics, the PS1 graphics looking vehicle, the lasers, the red hologram-looking performance specs. What is going on?

The 6000 SUX looks better than this monstrosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkeJbiqsQP8

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That CYBERTRUCK logo has to be the dumbest thing in the history of advertisement.

Cherry on top I found out about the CYBERTRUCK news from slickdeals hot deals forum.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What happens when you only hire yes-men, and no one wants to be fired for questioning a despot.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Yea...I think Elon was too heavily into the design of this thing. It's probably not going to sell very well. While I applaud the, um...boldness of going with such an angular design, it clearly looks unfinished.

Design wise it feels like they tried to go with the sleek, future-perfect featureless chassis and simple overall forms. You can do this with cars, like the Honda e:

or Marc Newson's car:

...but with both of these the forms are pleasing and look finished. I think it's probably due to the curvy nature of these designs. In contrast, the Cybertruck (cybertrk? cybertrukk? the text behind the thing is unreadable) has a ton of angular forms so that while it tries to have that same super-simplistic design, the angles make it look like a kid's drawing - unfinished, with a vague concept but without the thought necessary to make it a succesful design. This isn't even saying that adding adornment to the body panels would improve things - because I don't think it would, save for some intakes. The entire silhouette just feels wrong.

I think it's most heinous part is the wheel wells. The trapezoid look just...doesn't fit with the round wheels. I think the design could honestly be improved by 25% if they just rounded those off. Right now you have two very separate shapes clashing (trapezoid and circle) and it feels really disjointed, like someone didn't know how to draw a wheel well so they just kind of cut out a chunk. This could be massaged with some curves but again, the whole design feels half baked.

From the side the profile and lines look exciting. The front half looks pretty cool, especially since it's a straight shot from the roof peak to the bumper since there's no engine - that's cool and shows this is an electric vehicle. But everything else just feels unfinished.

That being said, we will probably see some changes before production. I noticed the truck didn't have mirrors, so I don't think it's road legal. I've heard someone mention cameras but I'm not sure if there's a legal framework for that yet.

Just overall a disappointing design and presentation.

EDIT: Someone on Reddit made this GIF and it helps a lot to illustrate my point;

It's not about all the angles - it's about the lack of attention to the small details that makes this feel awkward.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 22, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's the RED Hydrogen phone of cars.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I think actually eliminating the external wheel wells and just having the bottom of the car continue along directly would have fixed that design and been in keeping with the cyber punk thing. Being Tesla they could happily have included some ridiculously, overly engineered motorised sliding door panel to permit access to the wheels. Wouldn't have fixed the look but it might have felt a little more coherent.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've seen crazier looking concept cars, but yeah... needs a little work. Honestly I don't absolutely hate the angular stuff but that's not to say it's not ridiculous.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

MrNemo posted:

I think actually eliminating the external wheel wells and just having the bottom of the car continue along directly would have fixed that design and been in keeping with the cyber punk thing. Being Tesla they could happily have included some ridiculously, overly engineered motorised sliding door panel to permit access to the wheels. Wouldn't have fixed the look but it might have felt a little more coherent.

I think it'd be cool if they went more for an ATV look and completely exposed the wheels and hardware, pulling the fenders behind the wheels and turning the overall shape into a sort of pod look.

EDIT: Someone on Reddit said this and I feel it as well; this isn't a pickup designed by or for someone who likes pickups. "Nobody is rolling up to a jobsite in this thing any time soon." - absolutely agree with this. Elon is obviously not a pickup guy, and it seems like he's the one that really pushed this design. He knows that people wouldn't like this with a car, that's why the Tesla looks relatively normal. Why did they go all out on this weird pickup design? Because he has no understanding of the market.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 22, 2019

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Also important question if anyone has its specs: Is there a built-in Juicero?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Looks like the NTSB is gonna help Uber throw the driver under the bus.

quote:

Last year, the NTSB's preliminary report found that the vehicle hadn't applied its brakes, that the Volvo's factory-installed crash avoidance system had been disconnected, and that while the Uber vehicle's autonomous system detected Herzberg before impact, the vehicle relied entirely on Vasquez to take emergency action.

Records show that Vasquez's phone was streaming a TV show at the time of the crash, and video footage from inside the vehicle shows Vasquez looking at something below the dashboard until about one second before impact. She denied to investigators on the night of the crash that she was looking at her phone at the time. She has made no further statements since then.

Yet the November 19 NTSB report pegs the crash squarely on Vasquez.

"Had the vehicle operator been attentive, she would likely have had sufficient time to detect and react to the crossing pedestrian to avoid the crash or mitigate the impact," the report states. "The vehicle operator’s prolonged visual distraction, a typical effect of automation complacency, led to her failure to detect the pedestrian in time to avoid the collision."
Less joking take is that yes, the person "driving" wasn't paying attention at all and this was the largest factor in the accident.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ryonguy posted:

Looks like the NTSB is gonna help Uber throw the driver under the bus.

Less joking take is that yes, the person "driving" wasn't paying attention at all and this was the largest factor in the accident.

yeah i think that's actually fairly reasonable. uber, unlike tesla, does not pretend their self-driving cars are ready for consumer use and they are still in development. as a result, the human driver is being paid to monitor the car and interrupt it doing dangerous things. if the human driver is watching tv instead, that means the human driver decided to watch tv instead of perform their safety role.

but that said, this is also a design flaw in that (a) obviously the car shouldn't be hitting people in the first place; but (b) less obviously, a safety system designed around a human paying attention for very long stretches of nothingness for the rare instances where they need to rapidly recognize the danger is a bad safety system. it's why tesla's autopilot is an active safety hazard.

the reason that it's also on the driver as opposed to just a "look, this is asking too much of people" is that it's one thing to be bored and inattentive. it's another thing to actually be watching tv.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the NTSB report is pretty harsh on uber as well for failing to have oversight which would have not permitted the driver to have been distracted in the first place. like having two people in the car to keep each other accountable

quote:

The investigation identified the following safety issues:

• Uber Advanced Technologies Group’s inadequate safety culture. At the time of the crash, the Uber Advanced Technologies Group had an inadequate safety culture, exhibited by a lack of risk assessment mechanisms, of oversight of vehicle operators, and of personnel with backgrounds in safety management. Since the crash, the company has made changes in organizational, operational, and technical areas. The report explores the deficiencies that led to the crash, the potential countermeasures, and the extent to which the postcrash changes made by the Uber Advanced Technologies Group affect the safe testing of ADSs.

• Need for safety risk management requirements for testing automated vehicles on public roads. Although the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has published three iterations of an automated vehicles policy, that summary guidance does not provide a means of evaluating an ADS. The absence of safety regulations and detailed guidance has prompted some states to develop their own requirements for automated vehicle testing. The report explores the roles of federal agencies, industry, and individual states in supporting the development of automation and ensuring public safety during ADS testing.

my read on the report is like "yeah the driver was not paying attention and should have been, and the jaywalker should have been paying more attention, but seriously yall these safety protocols are completely inadequate"

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah, don't give Uber too much credit, their system was absolutely not ready for live road testing yet they put it out there anyways. Something like an order of magnitude worse in terms of operator intervention requiring occurrences than other groups?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just imagine how much black leather gears and shades you have to buy to be seen in your cybertruck.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PhazonLink posted:

at least the wheels are still circles and not other shapes on constant width. I bet if Musk heard of those the car would be even more stupid.

He could do one of the cool flower-petal shapes that would have multiple surfaces to spring leaks on!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I unironically love the MuskyTruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The dumb font makes it look like CYBERTRVKK