Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jim Cramer posted:

Is it worth playing Pokémon unbound as someone who only played red/blue a few decades ago? Or will it wreck me as someone who knows jack about the intricacies of Pokémon strategy?

I’m in the same boat as you. I played Blue when I was a wee lad. Never touched another Pokemon game and now I’m in my 30s and staying up late to play unbound. You’ll do fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
FWIW, if anyone isn’t spending all their free time in retro emulation land, loop hero is available now and seems to be perfect for iPad touch screen playing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Murgos posted:

FWIW, if anyone isn’t spending all their free time in retro emulation land, loop hero is available now and seems to be perfect for iPad touch screen playing.

Oh cool, that was fun on PC and is probably a great fit for mobile.

For Apple Arcade-havers, Dicey Dungeons has been added to the library. Solid pickup.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I remember playing dicey dungeons back in the day on a flash site. What memories. It plays just as I remember it.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 5, 2024

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
If you haven’t played a Pokemon game since red or blue, I think the one to go to is Pokemon Heartgold/Soul Silver on DS.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Just a heads up for those affected by the Civ6 bug as well, after 3 or 4 months there was finally an update. Since late last week Civ6 for iPad starts again without error.

Horrible months since I really could not find anything similar that is actually fun to play. So glad I can get my fix again.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

Just a heads up for those affected by the Civ6 bug as well, after 3 or 4 months there was finally an update. Since late last week Civ6 for iPad starts again without error.

Horrible months since I really could not find anything similar that is actually fun to play. So glad I can get my fix again.

Don't think it's on iPad but look at Old World, the lead dev for civ4 made it (I think,). It's different but good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey hey it’s PPSSPP.
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ppsspp-psp-emulator/id6496972903

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Instructions unclear, now surrounded by cats.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wonder how good the audio timing is on this.... Patapon would be insanely cool on a phone

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/retroarch/id6499539433

RetroArch is also out so that covers everything PS2/Gamecube era I think.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
After all these years I finally have Persona 3 Portable on my phone. :swoon:

Thanks for posting PPSSPP and RetroArch are out!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, those are actually available in Europe too! Nice!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have been loving around with ppsspp all day. incredibly impressive piece of work, both as an emulator and as a mobile app. being able to build custom control sets for each game is really great and a must for games that expect you to hold a trigger while using the face buttons

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It does suck that it isn't using the haptic feedback that makes the on-screen controls in Delta good/tolerable.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/retroarch/id6499539433

RetroArch is also out so that covers everything PS2/Gamecube era I think.

Are PS2 and GCN games going to be playable on a phone using an emulation core that is purely an interpreter?

edit: RetroArch for IOS does not come with PCSX2 or Dolphin cores anyway. I wonder if you can "sideload" cores like you can ROMs.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 16, 2024

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Folium is the only one that’s still awaiting approval I think? The other systems might not be able to work without JIT.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

If you're on iOS you'll need JIT support for PS2, Gamecube/Wii and Dreamcast, and right now it's only easy to get it on Mac. There is a workaround for Windows here: https://github.com/fritzlb/iOS17-JIT-WIN

Unfortunately this will require going back to some kind of sideloading method like Altstore and all that comes with that. I haven't bothered myself, though I do miss having Dolphin on my phone.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
What is Unpacking like on the iPhone? Are the touchscreen controls comfortable?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

njsykora posted:

It does suck that it isn't using the haptic feedback that makes the on-screen controls in Delta good/tolerable.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Anyone know if there’s a way to enlarge the touch dpad for Retroarch? I’ve lowered the sensitivity for the diagonals a lot but it’s still rather hard to use compared to Delta’s virtual dpad, which I found surprisingly usable.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Nickoten posted:

Anyone know if there’s a way to enlarge the touch dpad for Retroarch? I’ve lowered the sensitivity for the diagonals a lot but it’s still rather hard to use compared to Delta’s virtual dpad, which I found surprisingly usable.

the only two ways i've found are to either use one of the other controller overlays, which are all ugly as poo poo, or edit it yourself in an outside configuration file editor, which doesn't seem to work properly.

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

Is there anything new and interested goons are playing or anything goons are waiting for?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Tried the emulator. I guess you need the nostalgia.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

EvilElmo posted:

Tried the emulator. I guess you need the nostalgia.

This is like a Hemingway short story of condescension

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Edit:wait, wrong thread

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JackBandit posted:

This is like a Hemingway short story of condescension

For Download: Meticulously archived library of ROMs. Never played.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jokes posted:

For Download: Meticulously archived library of ROMs. Never played.

Emulation enthusiast can't wait to finish setting up device to play Super Mario World for 5 minutes.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Kyro posted:

Is there anything new and interested goons are playing or anything goons are waiting for?

phone games haven't been good in years, why do you think everyone's so excited to play pokemon crystal on them

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kyro posted:

burnout legends for the playstation portable
echochrome for the playstation portable
gran turismo for the playstation portable
hot shots golf: open tee 2 for the playstation portable
outrun 2006: coast 2 coast for the playstation portable

EightFlyingCars posted:

phone games haven't been good in years, why do you think everyone's so excited to play pokemon crystal on them

seriously. ds and psp games hold up really well in many cases and ds games in particular are perfectly suited for phone play if you don’t mind the low resolution. finally i can play peggle on my phone again. i’ve also been playing picross 3d in delta with a skin that displays both screens edge to edge and tucks all the buttons down at the bottom. it’s perfect

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i got the online retropad editor working for myself. turns out ya boy is very bad at following simple directions.

because i mostly play game boy and GBA games i set out to make a couple of basic controller overlays for retroarch that are better-suited to those systems, by removing extraneous buttons to make room so that the others can be larger and more comfortable. it's still a work-in-progress; things aren't aligned perfectly, and i may still make the buttons larger, and the overlap zone between the B and A buttons might be a tiny bit too big (but i never accidentally let go of my balloons in Balloon Kid and drowned myself!), but it's pretty functional. if anybody would like to use them, PM me and i'll get you the dropbox link. they both work in portrait and landscape modes, so hold your phones however you want. i'm not your dad

you'll want to make a new folder for these overlays in Retroarch/overlays/gamepads, and then unzip the archive from the dropbox link into that folder. the enormous mess of image files is normal, because i need some of them so that retroarch actually knows what to draw to the screen. i'll probably prune that down to only the ones i need when it's not nearly three in the morning because oh god i've lost all control of my life

anyway yeah just hit me up if you want em

e: photos!

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 17, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My RetroArch install is in Spanish. Can someone tell me which menu items lead to the language settings?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

tuyop posted:

My RetroArch install is in Spanish. Can someone tell me which menu items lead to the language settings?

On my iPad:
settings cog on right > 3rd option from bottom (User) > bottom option (Language)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

On my iPad:
settings cog on right > 3rd option from bottom (User) > bottom option (Language)

thank you!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

peace walker mobile in 1080p with dual analogs :thumbsup:

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

EightFlyingCars posted:

You’re very right. Altho I’m still playing a few good ones. EVE Echos goons are still going strong despite 90% of the original group retiring

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

Kyro posted:

This is assuming you don't mean playing together with goons via multiplayer/clans...

Goon-made game, Slice & Dice, released on iOS (and Steam) in case you missed it. It's a very good game in general and excels at being a mobile game imo.

I've also been playing Wildfrost on my iPad and enjoying it.

Montalvo posted:

What is Unpacking like on the iPhone? Are the touchscreen controls comfortable?

I'd like to know this as well. I've been meaning to play this one and was thinking about getting it for my iPad. It does have good reviews on the App Store!

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Weedle posted:

peace walker mobile in 1080p with dual analogs :thumbsup:

I might get metal gear acid, I actually enjoyed that

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kyro posted:

Hades if you have Netflix. It was a lot of people’s game of the year in 2020 so, if you haven’t tried it it’s probably worth checking out. I haven’t played much but it seemed pretty good, touch controls are alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

A Concrete Divider posted:

I might get metal gear acid, I actually enjoyed that

acid is dope but there's a crash during the intro on ppsspp. you can get around it by going into Settings > Tools > Developer Tools and switching "CPU Core" from the default "IR Interpreter" to "Interpreter." i don't know what this means or does so i did it in the acid-specific config file in case it matters in other games. acid seems perfect so far on "Interpreter" though