Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Serf posted:

you can't bike to work if you live walking distance from the light rail system in megalopolis east

they should let you bring your bike on the train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

yea I also super don't trust people who's environmental plans don't include refurbishing and expanding our nuclear grid because that's typically a giant flag for, yea like you said the kind of people who just assume they'll be greeted as liberators if they show up to rando small towns and say 'ok so now you're gonna bike everywhere'.

but see what if they're just dumb and fat and lazy

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think part of the problem is that Natalie Wynn is unbelievably, vastly more likeable, talented, and interesting than every single person that yells at her on Twitter, who all have the exact same personality install from c.2012 "listen here, compoundswear" era tumblr and thus are impossible to listen to or take seriously for anyone not already in a Steven Universe leftbook group

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think part of the problem is that Natalie Wynn is unbelievably, vastly more likeable, talented, and interesting than every single person that yells at her on Twitter, who all have the exact same personality install from c.2012 "listen here, compoundswear" era tumblr and thus are impossible to listen to or take seriously for anyone not already in a Steven Universe leftbook group

this is such a weird take you get most of the people 'yelling at her' are just nobody trans people and all the people on her side are other youtubers who are exactly like that, right?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i loving hate the Chapo show and i only listen to it so i can get incredibly angry and post about it. they are always morons, have on lib guests, and frankly aren’t funny

anyone have the link to the blackwolf feed btw

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

this is such a weird take you get most of the people 'yelling at her' are just nobody trans people and all the people on her side are other youtubers who are exactly like that, right?

I do not care enough about this topic to continue discussing it further, I am sorry my friend, have a blessed day.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Slanderer posted:

No, no they wouldn't. You have no concept of how much manual farming sucks, and how much cheap labor it requires. Industrialized farming freed up a huge portion of the labor force to work elsewhere, and trying to reverse that would gently caress us.

But I did manual farming, and did it as cheap labor for $5/hour. I do have a concept. Maybe I’m having a hard time scaling it up to the xx million bushels of corn/wheat and xx million chicken hogs, but the scale of underutilized human labor is also pretty vast.

If we have 6 million unemployed people, and 20 million underemployed people, and if we accept 20 million climate refugees, that’s a lot of labor. Let’s give them a jobs guarantee. Even if only a fraction of them care to shovel poo poo and pick weeds, that’s a huge number of people. Pay them $15/hr and give them health insurance. Even the cashiers at Walmart and Dominos pizza guys and other service industry hell jobs may be eager to get out into the sunlight and do work that feels productive. It’s hard and sweaty, but it doesn’t have to be >40 hours week and it’s better than getting bitched at about making a McFlurry wrong for $7.00/hr and no benefits.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

space uncle posted:

But I did manual farming, and did it as cheap labor for $5/hour. I do have a concept. Maybe I’m having a hard time scaling it up to the xx million bushels of corn/wheat and xx million chicken hogs, but the scale of underutilized human labor is also pretty vast.

If we have 6 million unemployed people, and 20 million underemployed people, and if we accept 20 million climate refugees, that’s a lot of labor. Let’s give them a jobs guarantee. Even if only a fraction of them care to shovel poo poo and pick weeds, that’s a huge number of people. Pay them $15/hr and give them health insurance. Even the cashiers at Walmart and Dominos pizza guys and other service industry hell jobs may be eager to get out into the sunlight and do work that feels productive. It’s hard and sweaty, but it doesn’t have to be >40 hours week and it’s better than getting bitched at about making a McFlurry wrong for $7.00/hr and no benefits.

I always love when federal job plans always just boil down to 'yea if you want basic dignity and the ability to feed your family you have to do one of the two backbreaking physical labor jobs we'll make for you'

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SlimGoodbody posted:

The problem is she also has some really lovely views and associates with some lovely people and responds to criticism really badly

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sorry I'm just really in love with the idea that a world where McDonalds is still paying you 7 dollars an hour but the Federal Farm is paying 15 is anything but the most stark dystopia possible. In what version of that does McDonalds not answer any request for workers rights with 'well just go work on the government farm then'? Especially since apparently this will explicitly target refugees and poo poo?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

sexpig by night posted:

I always love when federal job plans always just boil down to 'yea if you want basic dignity and the ability to feed your family you have to do one of the two backbreaking physical labor jobs we'll make for you'

Also create the PWA arts program and create artist/muralist/playwright jobs too. I’m not trying to force anyone into taking farmer jobs, I just understand that millions of migrant workers already do them for $1/hr and I think it should be more legitimized and less stigmatized.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Listening to Klein's tedious vision of social democratic managerialism made me long for the days when "fully automated luxury communism" was a fun new idea. People could imagine going to space and being enthusiastically gay when they heard that phrase, not just moving to an edge city with light rail while making $600 a week at a dead-end job and shopping less.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

space uncle posted:

If you look back to like 1800, between 30-60% of the labor force might be working agriculture, compared with something like 1-3% today (in western nations). On top of that, industrialized agriculture (combined with new breeding practices) has greatly increased productivity---if you remove all of that, you'll need even more people and land to get the same output. If you actually wanted to do anyway with mechanization and industrialization, a huge fraction of the population would be forced to work the fields and food prices would skyrocket, worsening issues of food insecurity even within our borders.

The thing you gotta understand is that reducing agricultural labor was a huge deal--it's why there were suddenly many more people available to work in new industries. We recognize that the industrial revolution helped start a chain of events that hosed up the earth, but also that it resulted in the last 200 years of progress and a vast reduction in human misery. Agriculture needs to be made sustainable, but that does not mean we try to undo industrialization.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i've decided to charge people for the emotional labour of discussing contrapoints, please venmo me $30 each to continue this pointless derail. tia

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/kanwetwitty/status/324630866963881986

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Slanderer posted:

If you look back to like 1800, between 30-60% of the labor force might be working agriculture, compared with something like 1-3% today (in western nations). On top of that, industrialized agriculture (combined with new breeding practices) has greatly increased productivity---if you remove all of that, you'll need even more people and land to get the same output. If you actually wanted to do anyway with mechanization and industrialization, a huge fraction of the population would be forced to work the fields and food prices would skyrocket, worsening issues of food insecurity even within our borders.

The thing you gotta understand is that reducing agricultural labor was a huge deal--it's why there were suddenly many more people available to work in new industries. We recognize that the industrial revolution helped start a chain of events that hosed up the earth, but also that it resulted in the last 200 years of progress and a vast reduction in human misery. Agriculture needs to be made sustainable, but that does not mean we try to undo industrialization.

Yeah you’re right - I’m not advocating for full deindustrialization. I’m curious where the equilibrium point is between 1-3%(automated racism monoculture) and 30-60% (landed gentry/serfs).

Does industrial sustainability look like 5-10% of the population now produces food? Do food prices double? Maybe urban farming / community gardens relieve some of this pressure.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

If there's one thing lefties love it's a protestant work ethic and valuing working hard for it's own sake. If I can't smoke weed in the morning, double check the robotic hydrophonics system that feeds me and many other city dwellers in the afternoon, and then spend my evenings posting bad takes itt you have yet to end capitalism.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

T-man posted:

If there's one thing lefties love it's a protestant work ethic and valuing working hard for it's own sake. If I can't smoke weed in the morning, double check the robotic hydrophonics system that feeds me and many other city dwellers in the afternoon, and then spend my evenings posting bad takes itt you have yet to end capitalism.

I want to repair vaporators, as long as the droids don't replace me. :argh:.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/CHAPOTRAPHOUSE/status/1184136287370039296?s=20

Serf
May 5, 2011

klein herself didn't make a particularly strong argument as to how we're going to avoid the climate apocalypse. it seems to be elect bernie (or maybe warren lmao forever) and then let him take care of it. there's no way we dislodge the bourgeoisie without a hellish war

THS
Sep 15, 2017

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

T-man posted:

we'll just have you smoking weed with your other citizens in the morning and classify that as part of your job so you get your work hours up

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I mean, we're not getting out of this. Power is going to collapse and then coalesce around those who can maintain private armies. A billion people are going to starve to death over the next decade. Slavery is going to come back. We're so hosed.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

space uncle posted:

Yeah you’re right - I’m not advocating for full deindustrialization. I’m curious where the equilibrium point is between 1-3%(automated racism monoculture) and 30-60% (landed gentry/serfs).

Does industrial sustainability look like 5-10% of the population now produces food? Do food prices double? Maybe urban farming / community gardens relieve some of this pressure.

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but based entirely on my personal experience urban and community gardening seems like a hobby--it requires a huge amount of effort for relatively little output, and is overall low productivity--you have less control over the soil conditions, bad light when youre around buildings, and pest management is harder and less effective with smaller plots. It's insanely inefficient for me to spend an hour a day in the hottest part of the summer watering all my plants by hand, but it seems like a waste of money and resources to do anything else at my scale. With the same amount of effort I spend stringing up a few pepper plants, I could do a few dozen I'm sure.

Urban gardening (and planting in general) probably does have benefits with keeping cities cool by reflecting more sunlight than black tarpaper roofs or asphalt, and it's fun to do with a small environmental impact, so I fully support it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Urban gardening is great for a lot of reasons, but there's no way it's ever gonna be a major source of food for city dwellers. It can't be, that's the opposite of how cities work. You can't have fifty people in an apartment building and also raise enough food to be a major portion of their caloric needs in an urban garden the same size as the footprint of the apartment building.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean, we're not getting out of this. Power is going to collapse and then coalesce around those who can maintain private armies. A billion people are going to starve to death over the next decade. Slavery is going to come back. We're so hosed.

according to the climate change thread in dnd this makes you an optimist because you think the earth will be stable enough to maintain armies and economic activity

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They really need to close the climate change thread.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1184177337245556738

who's it gonna be?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Only two people I would be excited about are H. Bomberguy and Danny Devito.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The wording of the tweet is a hint. It's Trump. Trump went on Chapo.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

AnEdgelord posted:

Only two people I would be excited about are H. Bomberguy and Danny Devito.

Hopefully together on the same show

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I would also accept Zizek

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it might be Rob Delaney again. He was in town recently

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

5 buxs says the reanimated corpse of Marx

Also all chapo listeners should read about the Vampire's Castle, as it basically seems to be compatible with chapo's take. https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/exiting-vampire-castle/

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Who better to talk about the insane Turkish nationalist military incursion than revered opposition movement leader Fethullah Gulen?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

T-man posted:

5 buxs says the reanimated corpse of Marx

Also all chapo listeners should read about the Vampire's Castle, as it basically seems to be compatible with chapo's take. https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/exiting-vampire-castle/
yeah, they've talked about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO71KPuByKQ

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Cardi B went on and I hear she's now going by Chapo B

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I would also accept Zizek

oh yes

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Pirate Jet posted:

Do you mean McCardle’s or McCain’s?

McCardle’s is episode 63, McCain’s is episode 232. Both are extremely good episodes.

thanks, I wanted both actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's gonna be a post-detox jordan peterson.