Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Toyota wasn’t caught flat-footed, their now-former CEO was/is openly hostile to EVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Toyota wasn’t caught flat-footed, their now-former CEO was/is openly hostile to EVs

Yeah, Toyota bet the farm on hydrogen. They've developed hydrogen-powered everything (fuel cells, various flavors of IC) and deliberately ignored electrics, considering them an impractical fad.

The story isn't completely over, but they seem to have been on the wrong side of it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ok Comboomer posted:

That CEO bet big in hydrogen and well... yeah that's not exactly gone well. 8 Billion dollars gonna get mostly flushed for no real return.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Their options are to admit they were wrong, or pretend it's all part of the plan and no you can't see the plan but it's better than everybody else's.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Their options are to admit they were wrong, or pretend it's all part of the plan and no you can't see the plan but it's better than everybody else's.

What's behind door number 2 lol

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Someone's trying to make hydrogen A Thing in aviation, by doing tank swaps that can work within existing logistics systems rather then trying to build a whole new distro/local storage infrastructure.

Wonder if someone will try it at a smaller scale for vehicles

https://hydrogen.aero/product/

quote:

our proprietary, lightweight, modular hydrogen capsules that are transported from green hydrogen production sites to the airport and loaded directly into the aircraft using the existing intermodal freight network and cargo handling equipment.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla says they've just produced their 5 millionth vehicle (ever, compared to Toyota's 10.5 million in 2022 alone). Still quite the milestone, they made their 4 millionth just in March this year, so they'll probably make 1.25 - 1.4 million this year.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Qwijib0 posted:

Someone's trying to make hydrogen A Thing in aviation, by doing tank swaps that can work within existing logistics systems rather then trying to build a whole new distro/local storage infrastructure.

Air traffic is highly centralized because airports are hugely expensive to build and maintain. Perhaps freight exchange yards between trains and trucks could serve a similar purpose for trucks, although the only modular cargo unit with existing logistics that exists for trucks is the cargo container. Everything is built around the size of a cargo container, though, and putting some amount of hydrogen in it would cut into cargo volume.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

I see a LOT of those bZ4x and subaru versions around here, and they're all hideous. I wonder why they are so big here (Lower mainland BC). We also have a huge number of teslas around so EV uptake is high but I don't get why I see more of those than I do something like an EV6, which are around but not as much.

I just visited Vancouver for the first time in 4 years and was pretty shocked by the number of Teslas. Like you see one approximately every 2 blocks while driving around in Burnaby/Coquitlam. I wonder how much of it has to do with availability though? Not sure what the wait time is for Teslas now but things like the EV6 apparently has a wait time of 12-18 months unless you get lucky like my friend just did and get their demo model with "only" 8000km on it for a deal. Are those stories about EV stock just sitting in sales lots in the US true? If so it seems like the manufacturers need to start diverting some of that up north because it's pretty brutal to get your hands on something these days apparently.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Squibbles posted:

Are those stories about EV stock just sitting in sales lots in the US true? If so it seems like the manufacturers need to start diverting some of that up north because it's pretty brutal to get your hands on something these days apparently.

Every lot I’ve visited has at least three or four of each model for sale. I’m near San Francisco, so EV demand is high. Whether that means they’re just keeping them stocked here to meet demand, or that they’re having trouble selling them, I don’t know :shrug:.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Squibbles posted:

Are those stories about EV stock just sitting in sales lots in the US true? If so it seems like the manufacturers need to start diverting some of that up north because it's pretty brutal to get your hands on something these days apparently.

The biggest inventory stock by far seems to be Tesla, they've got a ton of inventory and are discounting cars by $4k+ because of it.

I did see some EV6es piling up at my local Kia dealer though, and still not a single minivan. The gas Kia minivan remains incredibly hard to get, like a RAV4 Prime or 911 GT3.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Squibbles posted:

I just visited Vancouver for the first time in 4 years and was pretty shocked by the number of Teslas. Like you see one approximately every 2 blocks while driving around in Burnaby/Coquitlam. I wonder how much of it has to do with availability though? Not sure what the wait time is for Teslas now but things like the EV6 apparently has a wait time of 12-18 months unless you get lucky like my friend just did and get their demo model with "only" 8000km on it for a deal. Are those stories about EV stock just sitting in sales lots in the US true? If so it seems like the manufacturers need to start diverting some of that up north because it's pretty brutal to get your hands on something these days apparently.

It’s actually not too bad now, the local dealers have EV6s and ioniqs in stock, and the fords have a lot of mach es and lightnings.

Tesla is putting a big new dealership in Port Coquitlam too I hear.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Reno to the Oregon coast in the Tesla yesterday, ~600 miles. Considerably quicker and easier than using EA, really makes a difference on these sort of “all day” drives.

Only had to stop twice. Usually I stop 3 times but leaving the house with 90 and then charging ~5-80 ABRP said I could do it so I did. In the future I won’t though TBH, rather stop more frequently and for shorter charges.

Accidentally picked a 125 kW charger as my destination in Mt Shasta, I guess it was probably one of the early/original chargers, only had 4 chargers and there’s a dozen 150 kW chargers a block away. I realized it after I plugged in and almost wasn’t going to bother moving but I’m glad I did because the difference was like 112 kW vs 165 kW.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, Toyota bet the farm on hydrogen. They've developed hydrogen-powered everything (fuel cells, various flavors of IC) and deliberately ignored electrics, considering them an impractical fad.

The story isn't completely over, but they seem to have been on the wrong side of it.

Now it seems like they've shifted to promising a quantum leap in battery technology (to be fair, they have invested heavily in solid-state battery research, but have shown no evidence that they're closer to mass production than anyone else) while making a limp-wristed attempt at competing with the Tesla Model Y.

I actually took a class in fuel cell technology back in college. Fuel cells require a lot of supporting hardware (pumps, valves, heat exchangers, stuff like that) which introduces a whole bunch of new points of failure, undoing one of the less-advertised but still significant advantages of going electric (less stuff to maintain). Plus the fuel cell itself has a limited lifespan, and replacing it is even more expensive than a new battery for most EVs:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/hyundai-tucson-fcev-owner-shocked-by-113k-repair-bill-for-hydrogen-fuel-cell

Twerk from Home posted:

The biggest inventory stock by far seems to be Tesla, they've got a ton of inventory and are discounting cars by $4k+ because of it.

I understand Tesla also has a large inventory of Model 3 parts, plus they're about to start producing the Model 3 Highland in the US. So they have to get rid of all that fairly quickly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Qwijib0 posted:

Almost all hydrogen production in the US is a byproduct of fracking, of which we have a market glut of natural gas production.

Anyone that tells you that hydrogen is a large scale solution to anything climate related is a petro shill, an idiot, or both.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Vegetable posted:

New Kona EV 2024. No pricing yet.

https://youtu.be/JXF2BSqM6mI?si=--0DshOqolPy6oKY

What’s really interesting is the earlier models were modified ICE Konas, but it’s the reverse here: they designed the Kona EV and modified it for the ICE version.

It’s slightly larger than current Kona EV. Gear shift is now on a stalk rather than center console. Two big screens and a frunk, which are new. Range is 200 miles for the base vehicle and 260 miles for the expanded battery. Takes a lot of design cues from the Ioniq 5. You can also now use your phone as a key.

It comes in FWD and AWD, which is odd to me. I’ve read that it doesn’t make much sense for EVs to be FWD instead of RWD because there’s no heavy engine in front. It’s arguably worse that way. I’m not sure what the design considerations are here.

Sat in the hybrid version of this in a dealer the other day, interior is really nice, good materials and buttons and feels spacious in the rear (although the car is bigger than the previous gen). Better driving position and viewing angles than the previous gens, which were bad enough to be a deal breaker for us. Guy at the dealership thought that there was going to be a substantial price hike over the current one though, like 6k EUR. Not sure if he was just saying that to try and get us to make a purchase now.

We've looking at getting a second hand Golf phev in the end since the pricing is better here (France) than a full EV. Prices new are just incredible even with the government subsidy, an ID3 is 38k euros for base spec after a 5k subsidy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cockmaster posted:

I actually took a class in fuel cell technology back in college. Fuel cells require a lot of supporting hardware (pumps, valves, heat exchangers, stuff like that) which introduces a whole bunch of new points of failure, undoing one of the less-advertised but still significant advantages of going electric (less stuff to maintain). Plus the fuel cell itself has a limited lifespan, and replacing it is even more expensive than a new battery for most EVs:

Hydrogen is also a complete gently caress to store, transport, and distribute. It embrittles whatever it's stored in, it needs specialized and extremely expensive high-pressure piping, it leaks through solid metal, in its cryogenic state it is cold enough to freeze air, it's incredibly flammable.... if you think building out the grid to replace gasoline with electricity is gonna be hard, replacing gasoline with Hydrogen is an order of magnitude more difficult.

Unrelated, my utility just let me enroll in a pilot program for variable-rate billing for electricity. I'm pretty stoked, since the off-peak rate is like $0.03 during the time of year when the dams are at max output, and $0.07 the rest of the year.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I like my EV but would prefer if it was more capable of exploding, I had to bring it to one of five specialized and unreliable fuel stations once a week, and relied entirely on fracking

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

But enough about teslas

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Elviscat posted:

Unrelated, my utility just let me enroll in a pilot program for variable-rate billing for electricity. I'm pretty stoked, since the off-peak rate is like $0.03 during the time of year when the dams are at max output, and $0.07 the rest of the year.

Is the peak rate higher lower or same as the flat rate?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Hydrogen is also a complete gently caress to store, transport, and distribute. It embrittles whatever it's stored in, it needs specialized and extremely expensive high-pressure piping, it leaks through solid metal, in its cryogenic state it is cold enough to freeze air, it's incredibly flammable.... if you think building out the grid to replace gasoline with electricity is gonna be hard, replacing gasoline with Hydrogen is an order of magnitude more difficult.

And most of the proposals I've seen for carbon-neutral hydrogen production amount to taking electricity from renewable sources and using it to perform electrolysis - effectively reducing the hydrogen system to a battery with extra parts and much lower efficiency.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

And most of the proposals I've seen for carbon-neutral hydrogen production amount to taking electricity from renewable sources and using it to perform electrolysis - effectively reducing the hydrogen system to a battery with extra parts and much lower efficiency.

seems like a great system at scale for power generation though, to shift excess daytime solar capacity into night power but without the need to have large scale batteries. Burn the hydrogen to boil water, etc.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
And now Tesla just started a livestream which promises "The Tesla that will change the car industry forever". Elon Musk just mentioned going from 12V to 48V on the low-voltage circuits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6248yqOOBo

Edit: The stream just ended, and going back through I don't see anything about a new car. Figures.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 18, 2023

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Did he mention anything about being a loving nazi?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nazi CEO is nothing new in the car industry. They lied about changing it!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Is the peak rate higher lower or same as the flat rate?

Higher.

Old flat rate: $0.13

New peak rate $0.24

Off-peak $0.08-$0.10*

Super-Off-Peak 0.04-0.07*

Peak's only for a few hours every day though, and with charging timers on the cars, and a smart thermostat, it should save me quite a bit of money. Heat is all electric via heatpump.

*one or the other, depending on time of year, numbers are half remembered, I didn't check.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Just nuts that my off peak rate is higher than your peak rate.

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/rate-plans/rate-plan-options/electric-vehicle-base-plan/electric-vehicle-base-plan.page

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oof, yeah, living in the land of cheap hydro has its benefits.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Whats the thread consensus on the EX30? The price point is good enough, and my wife loves the design.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Freezer posted:

Whats the thread consensus on the EX30? The price point is good enough, and my wife loves the design.
I put down my deposit last month. It looks like a great car. Competes most directly with the Kona, Niro and Bolt as a small-ish crossover. In terms of price I imagine people will cross-shop it with the Model 3 and Equinox too.

That said, prices aren’t out and we won’t know how well it drives until December at the earliest. There’s a lot of waiting to go.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I thought Polestar was Volvo’s EV brand

Why does polestar exist if there are now a ton of Volvo EVs

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Regular people buy Volvos. Guys with micropeens think Volvos have a low T image so they buy Polestars.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Volvo owns Polestar, which is owned by Geely, which also owns some of Polestar, it's really weird and I don't understand it either.

The funny thing is how Volvo still gets to call its higher performance cars Polestar tuned as well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Freezer posted:

I'm very very curious about it. I saw the exterior at a show the other day and I like it. It's about the same size as my Kia Soul, which is just perfect. I'm hoping it has a HUD or something as I do like an instrument cluster, but you can't win em all I guess.

I want something that isn't a giant SUV that has a vegan interior that isn't owned by a Nazi (at least, not such an outspoken one). They'll just say "leather-free" which I think I just have to take.

I wish it had the Polestar ordering process -- I hate dealers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought Polestar was Volvo’s EV brand

Why does polestar exist if there are now a ton of Volvo EVs

Polestar is Volvo's skunkworks brand, so for instance the Polestar 2 was Volvo's first foray into using Android Automotive and now a bunch of their cars use it.

Volvo still doesn't sell an EV sedan for some reason

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What I really want is an EV stationwagon that doesn't have a Start button, has a map in the instrument panel, and can be ordered entirely online, is that so much to ask???

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Elviscat posted:

Higher.

Old flat rate: $0.13

I guess it's convenient to have such clearly defined rates. I need a phone app to keep track of my rates.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

QuarkJets posted:

What I really want is an EV stationwagon that doesn't have a Start button, has a map in the instrument panel, and can be ordered entirely online, is that so much to ask???

What you want turn a key to start the ignition, you loving neanderthal?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

What you want turn a key to start the ignition, you loving neanderthal?

Nah, I believe QJ is part of the crowd that believes that “In an EV, there is no point in having on/off states. A vehicle should just always be ‘on’ if the keyfob is inside the car.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Nah, I believe QJ is part of the crowd that believes that “In an EV, there is no point in having on/off states. A vehicle should just always be ‘on’ if the keyfob is inside the car.”

The point is safety. Having the vehicle be multiple steps away from plowing through your garage door/wall is important for safety.