Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I got this just to round out a minimum order on BrickLink...

Are you telling me this is the Lego equivalent of a fat white cop on a motorcycle chasing a black guy?

:/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

For modern sets, the creator 3-in-1 are really neat and my kids love them. I wish they had those when I was a kid. They are good value and you always get a bunch of versatile parts

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Feenix posted:

Are you telling me this is the Lego equivalent of a fat white cop on a motorcycle chasing a black guy?

Yes.
Atlantis isn't really any better. Obviously the sea monster people have some kind of culture, and a bunch of freaking airbreathers show up and steal all of their junk, and THE SEA MONSTERS are the badguys?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That big shuttle was fantastic. I had that thing on display until the stickers fell off. Always wanted the LEM.

Goddamn, I didn't realize the LEM was so spendy these days. It's more expensive than the Technic Space Shuttle! Just the minifigures are like half the 'value' of the set.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

drat it. It looks like Lego ran out of the Mini Volkswagen Beetle (40252). Looks like eBay it is.. =/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pyroclastic posted:

Goddamn, I didn't realize the LEM was so spendy these days. It's more expensive than the Technic Space Shuttle! Just the minifigures are like half the 'value' of the set.

Yeah, I tried to part it out a few years ago and it just wasn't worth the cost.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Feenix posted:

:raise: "Squidman?"
:cop: "That's his name."
:raise: "Frank, that's not his name."
:cop: "That's what he told me."
:raise: "It's not. That's just offensive and you know it. What's he booked in for?"
:cop: "...resisting arrest."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A flyer is the worst possible choice of vehicle to apprehend Squidman, too. Come at him from below, he's never gonna see you. Borrow the Atlantis thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

obi_ant posted:

drat it. It looks like Lego ran out of the Mini Volkswagen Beetle (40252). Looks like eBay it is.. =/

Wow already? :(

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Whats the theme called with the submarines, would have been 90s, I have a couple of the dark faction subs with the articulated grabber arms. I think that was a conflict theme that wasn't hosed up.

And then the Legorado wild west law/frontier vs bandits

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Spookydonut posted:

Whats the theme called with the submarines, would have been 90s, I have a couple of the dark faction subs with the articulated grabber arms. I think that was a conflict theme that wasn't hosed up.

And then the Legorado wild west law/frontier vs bandits

Aquanauts, they were loving sweet. I loved their clamshell canopies.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I hope no one in here is poo poo-talking Johnny thunder. Johnny thunder was and still is one of the best lines lego has ever made. You had Egyptian adventures, himilayan adventures, Amazon adventures, loving dinosaur adventures, all kinds of cool poo poo. You got a bitching chrome gold sword, chrome gold shield, a fabulous dragon, mummies with kickin' rad skeletons and hot air balloons, elephants, and a badass card game to go with everything.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Adventurers was a great line and I miss it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Adventurers balloon/zeppelin was an incredible set when you were 9. The red cargo plane from Dino Island was great too.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 8, 2017

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I think the best part about the adventurers (and Indiana Jones) was the classic cars. Sure army trucks and Nazi poo poo is kinda neat (hillariously expensive second hand. . .) but even the other vehicles are awesome. I think my favorite Lego build is that he dusenburg from Indiana Jones 7682.

I think the theme that started my dark ages Time Cruisers, every last set just looks like a bunch of poo poo slapped together as if made by a toddler. I remember looking at the cover of the magazine with the ugly hyno cruiser and thinking that I could easily build something way more cool looking. Even Jack Stone, the pinnacle of juniorization, doesn't offend me as much as Time Cruisers.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think the best part about the adventurers (and Indiana Jones) was the classic cars. Sure army trucks and Nazi poo poo is kinda neat (hillariously expensive second hand. . .) but even the other vehicles are awesome. I think my favorite Lego build is that he dusenburg from Indiana Jones 7682.
I picked up a few sets off of Letgo which included Indiana Jones sets. I'm willing to part with a few of them when they sell but I'm hanging onto 7622 Race for the Stolen Treasure because those old trucks rock.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I liked Time Cruisers as a kid because one of the sets had a bunch of hats and accessories from other lines.
But yeah the actual sets were incredibly bad. I used to think they were using, like, the spare parts from the other lines, or something, but now that I'm thinking about it as an adult, someone came up with these designs and multiple people approved them, and I just don't understand how that happened?
I'm glad LEGO turned it around.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I liked Time Cruisers as a kid because one of the sets had a bunch of hats and accessories from other lines.
But yeah the actual sets were incredibly bad. I used to think they were using, like, the spare parts from the other lines, or something, but now that I'm thinking about it as an adult, someone came up with these designs and multiple people approved them, and I just don't understand how that happened?
I'm glad LEGO turned it around.
Design approval was clearly a case of "well the bosses kid designed this so. . . "

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
All this talk about Classic Space themes just makes me sad that I forgot to pick up Spaceship^3 when it was on sale.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Design approval was clearly a case of "well the bosses kid designed this so. . . "

Full confession: I got this set as a kid. I don't remember what else was available at the time, but it had a monkey, a Ice Planet helmet, a couple of pirate hats, a robin hood hat, a couple of spears, and one of those really weird pointed engine pieces that doesn't really resemble anything at all. And I really wanted those, and could not possibly afford getting individual sets of higher quality with those parts.

What exactly is this supposed to be? There's a propeller on the top and one on the front, some wheels, like it's a sort of drag racer with a helicopter rotor on top to allow it to fly, but then it's got those dragon wings on the back, which I guess could be used for aerial braking, and those spirals, which...uh...they spin when you move this piece of junk across the floor, but yeah. This whole thing looks like someone had a bunch of ideas and put them together with no rhyme or reason.

This is, like, the big-ticket item, right? The home base! Even this is a really bizarre hodgepodge, there's, like, an obsveratory, a little pirate island, a tiny house on top of a cliff, whatever the hell the orange cube in the back is. The rowboat maintains the consistent theme of "Random vehicle with jets attached", and the sets have a consistent theme of "hats from other series". So...I guess that's something.

They also have the "Time Twisters", which are still terrible but have a few major points in their favor.

There's a definite theme here. Everything is randomly Goth, the vehicles have a clear form of propulsion (less so on the middle one), it's not really clear why these guys travel through time with ghosts and bats and skeletons, instead of just, y'know, being an early version of Monster Hunters or something, but at least they've got some sort of style.

WOW Lego's designs really sucked back then. Good grief.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

This is, like, the big-ticket item, right? The home base! Even this is a really bizarre hodgepodge, there's, like, an obsveratory, a little pirate island, a tiny house on top of a cliff, whatever the hell the orange cube in the back is. The rowboat maintains the consistent theme of "Random vehicle with jets attached", and the sets have a consistent theme of "hats from other series". So...I guess that's something.

This one, and the ship from the same line were some of the last sets I had before my dark age. They were pretty hodgepodge, but I played with them all the same. I liked the mechanism the ship had to make the wings flap.

Really, I more disliked the enormous hull shell pieces on the interstellar starfighter than the time travel stuff.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nth Doctor posted:

This one, and the ship from the same line were some of the last sets I had before my dark age. They were pretty hodgepodge, but I played with them all the same. I liked the mechanism the ship had to make the wings flap.

Really, I more disliked the enormous hull shell pieces on the interstellar starfighter than the time travel stuff.

I think I had that set, I've certainly still got those shell pieces, I remember as a kid them being like loving useless because they were so hard to integrate with anything remotely creative

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Full confession: I got this set as a kid. I don't remember what else was available at the time, but it had a monkey, a Ice Planet helmet, a couple of pirate hats, a robin hood hat, a couple of spears, and one of those really weird pointed engine pieces that doesn't really resemble anything at all. And I really wanted those, and could not possibly afford getting individual sets of higher quality with those parts.

What exactly is this supposed to be? There's a propeller on the top and one on the front, some wheels, like it's a sort of drag racer with a helicopter rotor on top to allow it to fly, but then it's got those dragon wings on the back, which I guess could be used for aerial braking, and those spirals, which...uh...they spin when you move this piece of junk across the floor, but yeah. This whole thing looks like someone had a bunch of ideas and put them together with no rhyme or reason.

I may have had two of these as a kid because I'm pretty sure this came in a sweet kit with a miniature purple rubbermaid bin to keep your Lego in so it was a great deal and maybe it'd help me not leave bricks all over the loving house (it did not prevent me from leaving bricks all over the loving house)

My dark ages managed to survive the Time Cruisers and I made it into somewhere between Rock Raiders and the fourth or fifth edition of Aquanauts and the Insectoids line before giving up.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 9, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mine was like, Blacktron to 2014 Star Wars so it was kind of a culture shock to see how far the sets had come. My only exposure before taking that first, wallet devastating walk down the toy aisle, was the VW bus that my friend had which blew my mind, and the Fallingwater set which my ex bought me (that set kind of sucks though). I'm still catching up and don't know what half of these 90's themes are.

The moment I was hosed was when I realized Lego SW had become good. The early sets kind of sucked so it was easy to ignore even though the combo was pretty much crack to me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo that Space Police III

Blacktron did nothing wrong, Blacktron was right. Blacktron tried to warn you all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Built the Space Police Lockup Base and it's super neat, I've never actually owned it before despite wanting one since I was little and my grandma not being able to find me one back in the early early 90's. It's a really involved set for back then, it's impressive. Also built the Eldorado Fortress to make sure all the pieces were there and that's a neat set too, very haphazardly built-looking which lends itself to the "built on a rocky outcropping" style it goes for. Shame about the non-firing cannons though, those were always the best. :v:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

tomapot posted:

I picked up a few sets off of Letgo which included Indiana Jones sets. I'm willing to part with a few of them when they sell but I'm hanging onto 7622 Race for the Stolen Treasure because those old trucks rock.
Please post what you have and how much you want for each set, I need more Indiana Jones vehicles in my life. . . 7622 is an awesome set, I love the army truck, just kinda wish it wasn't a Nazi truck.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So apparently it's triple VIP points this weekend in the UK? I only just found out by wandering into my local shop 20 mins before closing. And then walking out with both the big and small VW Beetles.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The_Doctor posted:

So apparently it's triple VIP points this weekend in the UK? I only just found out by wandering into my local shop 20 mins before closing. And then walking out with both the big and small VW Beetles.

It seems to be across Europe and it's on until 23rd April, not just this weekend as far as I could tell... :v:

It doesn't seem that US is included in this promotion, for some reason.

Maybe now is the moment to get the Disney castle? ;)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh poo poo that figure is great. Bloodborne Lego here I come!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I think I still might have preferred a matador but that's a fairly boss looking figure...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was picking out some stuff from my drawer unit of expendable legos and dropped a lump of 8 2x4 bricks stacked together on my foot, it landed perfectly to cut my big toe right open. Lego stepped on me this time.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I don't get why he was a mystery? Just seems like any old dude you might expect to find in one of these series..

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

mitochondritom posted:

I don't get why he was a mystery? Just seems like any old dude you might expect to find in one of these series..

I read some where that they have different versions/colors for him. Not like mr.gold but that's why they blacked it out so it's kinda like a surprise on what kind you get?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Crotch Fruit posted:

Please post what you have and how much you want for each set, I need more Indiana Jones vehicles in my life. . . 7622 is an awesome set, I love the army truck, just kinda wish it wasn't a Nazi truck.

7621 Indiana Jones and the Lost Tomb
7623 Indiana Jones: Temple Escape
7624 Indiana Jones: Jungle Duel
7625 Indiana Jones: River Chase

I think they are all complete with instructions but no boxes, except for Temple Escape. That one is missing minifigs and the ball that rolls down the track. I'm on vacation and can check in with you next week.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Zonko_T.M. posted:

:words:

Despite never owning any of the Time Cruisers sets, I remember thinking they were hilariously weird and cool as a kid. Apparently they came with a bunch of hats because they were magic hats, and that's how they travelled through time.

The story behind the designs was that Lego were overstocked on a bunch of random elements, so designers were given the brief to use as many of these elements in a series in order to get rid of them at a profit. I have no idea whether this is true or not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

7622 Race for the Stolen Treasure is the best indiana jones set. :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've said it before, but I wish Lego could license out Indiana Jones and do new, non-movie, sets. Something like Johnny Thunder, but with Indy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Toys R Us has all Lego Dimensions 50% off (except the Starter packs) until the 15th.

Rumor is Dimensions has been cancelled and Year 3 waves won't be happening (so we should still be getting Goonies, Power Puff Girls, Beetlejuice, and Teen Titans Go! by fall).