Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nitsuga posted:

That's what I'm wondering. I've watched some SSD swap videos, so I know about those sensors. I bought this as a "refurb" with a 30-day warranty, so I would rather not pop it open right off the bat here.

Is there any way to check without opening it? A utility or anything?

Download a temperature monitor and see what it shows for the hd sensors and fan speeds. If they are locked at strange values that's the ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ah, thanks. Yeah, SMCFanControl shows the HDD fan spinning at 2700-3000+ RPM. ODD and CPU are running under 1500 RPM--system temp is 30*C. :-\

For the HDD, shouldn't you be able to just place the old sensor on the new drive? Is this where one of those OWC harnesses would come in?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

The image of someone whipping a $2000 macbook out of their dogshit $7 foam sleeve that doesn't even fit right is pretty amusing. I mean you gotta save somewhere I guess?

It's just a foam sleeve that does its job by protecting my laptop from scratches while in my backpack :shrug: It doesn't need style points

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have a bespoke, artisanal, platypus skin notebook sleeve

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

nitsuga posted:

Ah, thanks. Yeah, SMCFanControl shows the HDD fan spinning at 2700-3000+ RPM. ODD and CPU are running under 1500 RPM--system temp is 30*C. :-\

For the HDD, shouldn't you be able to just place the old sensor on the new drive? Is this where one of those OWC harnesses would come in?
Yes as far as I know you can use the sensor from the old drive, you can also buy new sensors aftermarket (maybe from OWC? I found them on ebay in the past and don't remember if they were OWC or maybe something more sketchy) but if you manage to get the wrong sensor (for wrong generation of imac) it won't work.

In my experience this software works fine for controlling fan noise after replacing the HDD and not connecting any sensor (it pulls the drive temp through SMART,) but it unfortunately is not free. There is a free trial though. http://www.hddfancontrol.com/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
^^^^ re: fan control chat above, it should be mentioned that newer vintages of iMac never had a discrete sensor board. Instead, Apple used semi-custom HDDs with an integrated thermistor connected to extra header pins on the back of the drive (or even to an unused SATA connector pin, in some cases). If you have a model year of iMac with this setup, and you want to restore normal fan control with a generic HDD, you'll need an aftermarket kit to add a discrete sensor board. OWC is one source, but IIRC there are others.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

The image of someone whipping a $2000 macbook out of their dogshit $7 foam sleeve that doesn't even fit right is pretty amusing. I mean you gotta save somewhere I guess?

I still have a Mountain Hardware backpack that I use with my case. It's really dependable, since each day is different. I throw my bag down, have my earphones in and enjoy the train ride.

:Boston & Portland

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks for the help, everybody. This is the kit I'm looking for: https://eshop.macsales.com/search/IMACHDD11

I'll have to see what the company is willing to do. I can ship it back for a return for less than the $50 kit or $35 program.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

In my case, the $2000 was my employers money and the $7 is mine to stop the edges from getting dinged up when I infrequently travel with it.

Even beyond that, the $60 sleeves didn't have especially great reviews. Neoprene is neoprene at the end of the day.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BobHoward posted:

^^^^ re: fan control chat above, it should be mentioned that newer vintages of iMac never had a discrete sensor board. Instead, Apple used semi-custom HDDs with an integrated thermistor connected to extra header pins on the back of the drive (or even to an unused SATA connector pin, in some cases). If you have a model year of iMac with this setup, and you want to restore normal fan control with a generic HDD, you'll need an aftermarket kit to add a discrete sensor board. OWC is one source, but IIRC there are others.

You can also use SMCFanControl or SSDFanControl to ramp down the fans via SMART, which I did for years on a late 2009 iMac with a replacement drive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The thing to remember about the fan control apps is that your iMac on POST sounds like a jet engine until the OS loads and the app autolaunches.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
bought my parents an AirPort Extreme for Christmas. their apartment now has faster internet speeds than mine. will probably buy again

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Well I guess if you buy laptops that are way too expensive then you should complement that by buying an all too expensive case sleeve.

Except I didn't. I, "Think Differently"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

bought my parents an AirPort Extreme for Christmas. their apartment now has faster internet speeds than mine. will probably buy again

You don't have long to buy again...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Don't forget to update it to the latest firmware, v.7.7.8 where they have squashed certain known bugs with Back to My Mac and other security things they won't tell you about.

If it doesn't work out, Airport Utility can reflash the AEBS down to v.7.7.7, v.7.7.3, or even earlier if you have a valid flash image ready.

If you buy again, save yourself some dough (50 bucks) and buy a refurb version from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FE918LL/A/refurbished-airport-extreme

Refurbed products straight from Apple go through their own rigorous quality checks and unless your autism cripples you from buying anything used, it's a good deal as the warranty is reset as well.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 29, 2016

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What a unique time to be buying an Airport Extreme...

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I actually just bought one for my girlfriend's mom for Christmas. She had some ancient linksys router that had awful signal because it was in her basement. Got her an AirPort Extreme and set it up and now she gets signal throughout the house and no issues. So good. Gonna suck when they finally sell out.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

High-end ASUS routers are pretty highly recommended, they also do the same stuff AEBS does with multiple radios, beamforming, etc. Cost about as much too.
I'm still holding on to my TC but I don't think I'd buy one now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm going to miss the Airport Extreme. It's been my go-to "I'm having weird issues with my *horseshit $30 Belkin router* not connecting to thing" replacement recommendation and no one ever complains about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone replace a MacBook Retina keyboard yet? Those little butterfly mechanisms are just a piece of plastic and if they bend the wrong way when you remove the key, it ruins it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's a mission to replace the top case and keyboard and requires a special service fixture to hold the laptop during certain phases.

Once again, it's not complex, just time consuming.

Different keys require a different method to replace the keycap depending on its location.

If you somehow gently caress up a keycaps mounting bracket, (not the keycap) the entire keyboard has to be replaced

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I had some sticking keys, took them apart (there was a little bit of sticky goop or something on the hinge, which I had to take a part to clean, but now when I put them back together they don't spring up any more.

And I broke the back clip on the Q key. The guy selling keys on eBay doesn't have 2 of 4 I need :lol:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So you can't go to your local Apple Store and ask for replacements? Did they ban you?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

So you can't go to your local Apple Store and ask for replacements? Did they ban you?

Two loving hours away. And I doubt they would have them in stock. I'll keep looking around online.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Call 'em up and ask if they have them, then maybe that'll make it worth it.

Or failing that, maybe AppleCare could send you some if you call them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Binary Badger posted:

Last time I said “Hey Apple: sell me parts” they just said “No.”.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Are the C7-type power cords that the 2011-and later Mac Minis use something Apple would have and could sell in their store?

Or is it just a plain C7 cord that I could get a replacement for via Amazon?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You can get them anywhere

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah well I'm assuming his Retina MacBook is still in warranty so that's just in-warranty key cap replacement; if it's out of warranty they should still be able to provide keys

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I doubt I can really add much that hasn't already been written, but I can at least mention that they did tweak the shape of the airpods for the better. I was one of those poor schmucks for whom the slightest tilt or tremor caused earpods to fall out, but these have been in my ears all day.

Overall they're probably are the best thing Apple has released in years.

There's also a neat store inventory alerts service by some guy at MacRumors that seems legit, if you want to try to beat the 6-week backorder: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/machookup-airpods-availability-alerts.2024242/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do they sound better than the normal earbuds that sound like garbage?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

They are earbuds to start with, but mine sound pretty good. I am pleased at their bass response, 'cause it exists at all.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is the only way to pause it to take one out of your ear?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is the only way to pause it to take one out of your ear?

I think you can yell at Siri (which would be hilarious in public)to do it, or disable Siri on the earbuds altogether and just tap them.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How do you disable Siri on air Buds

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can we call airpods 'air buddies'

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

In the config settings for them on the phone, I would guess.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

flosofl posted:

In the config settings for them on the phone, I would guess.

This is correct. Once you pair them with the phone, you can configure the AirPod double-tap action (via the phone) to summon Siri, play / pause, or do nothing. Mine got set to play / pause almost immediately.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Can we call airpods 'air buddies'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

What a unique time to be buying an Airport Extreme...

My wifi network took a poo poo last night and my UniFi AP isn't working so I had to pull out the old 4th gen Airport Extreme.

I have no idea why it took me over a hour to get this working. Eventually had to factory reset everything and load new firmware, but finally got it working. Now trying to figure out how to get Time Machine working on the network again.

UniFi's are still awesome, but holy poo poo their enterprise level control panels are a pain to troubleshoot. poo poo just won't work until it suddenly does.