Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

To some extent I would say "breakdown of political norms" is almost defined by the eruption of violence. Facilitating peaceful transitions of authority and changes in social hierarchy are pretty much why political norms exist.

SlothfulCobra posted:

With monarchic governments things get even more nebulous, since from what I know, it really seems like there's a pattern of decaying systems with deteriorating norms to save a lot of grievances for after the monarch dies so that they can use leverage over a new monarch to get reforms passed.

I think one of the foundations of monarchic political systems is the direct personal relationship between the monarch and their elite subjects/lords. Since succession necessarily changes the nature of those relationships, it creates the potential for conflict as vested interests scheme and jockey for proximity to the throne. Any decaying system creates the potential for conflict, succession is just the best opportunity to air grievance and shake things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know of any books specifically on the topic, but it was mostly a trade thing. If the crops failed in one region you could just buy from another and ship it easily given the Mediterranean trade routes. It was routine--Athens got its food from Crimea, Rome from North Africa/Egypt, etc. The Romans didn't really have major famine because of the efficiency of empire-wide logistics. Famines tend to either happen because everything is local so if the local conditions suck you're all screwed, or because of massive government mismanagement. Rome never had a Mao so it didn't see mass starvation.

The lower population numbers couldn't have hurt either. And during the high period of the classical Roman era the climate was pretty favorable.

Also, there probably was more famine than we think but the lack of records gives us a skewed view.

Since I was posting about Chinese road networks recently, I also read an article that suggested China's relatively robust internal transportation system and free movement of trade meant it tended to be much less vulnerable to famine than Europe or India going into the modern period for this exact same reason. A local crop failure might mean prices increase and life get's harder -- but you can still buy food from a neighboring district that wasn't effected.

One reason India was very vulnerable to famines during the Raj was that the subcontinent had a very underdeveloped transportation system, which neither the Mughals nor the British had invested in to the same extent as the Chinese government.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Romans did have a secret police from the late 4th century AD on, the agentes in rebus (“people active in things”) — a militarized bureaucratic courier force immune to prosecution and answerable to the emperor. They had quite a few responsibilities and a nasty reputation, but there were never many, around 1000 at a time for the whole empire, which should remind us that the biggest reason why the empire didn’t have the characteristics of a modern totalitarian state was practical, not ideological. The imperial government, even the late imperial version which is commonly considered bloated and overexpensive, was minuscule relative to its territory.

As for concentration camps — why bother when you can just sell people into slavery instead?

e: actually my bad, the figure of 1000ish is for the eastern empire only. But still!

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 25, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

didn't they also have the grain tax guys act as informants or some poo poo?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, the frumentarii. They were sort of a spy service but not like the imperial KGB as they sometimes get portrayed.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Something people forget is that the Roman government itself was pretty small compared to a modern government, and exercised a lot less control over its people...it wasn't big enough to do so, record keeping and communications technology wasn't advanced enough to do so, and expectations about what a government was "supposed" to do were different.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

The frumentarii, the guys responsible for grain distribution on the spot to armies in the field, were also used as military intelligence units by the Antonines — Hadrian gets the blame in the sources. They also got a fairly bad reputation, but we don’t really know as much about them as the agentes.

e: the other big thing about the Roman secret police or lack thereof is that Romans in the period of the agentes in particular, but certainly at other times as well, didn’t really need a professional group dedicated solely to seizing public figures and ruining their lives by denunciation before the law — rather, most Roman officials did that themselves as a matter of political logic, over and above whatever their duties were supposed to be. It’s scarcely possible to read late Roman sources without encountering an official who connives to get his colleagues disgraced, mutilated and/or slaughtered in the expectation of personal gain.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 26, 2019

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Squalid posted:

Since I was posting about Chinese road networks recently, I also read an article that suggested China's relatively robust internal transportation system and free movement of trade meant it tended to be much less vulnerable to famine than Europe or India going into the modern period for this exact same reason. A local crop failure might mean prices increase and life get's harder -- but you can still buy food from a neighboring district that wasn't effected.

One reason India was very vulnerable to famines during the Raj was that the subcontinent had a very underdeveloped transportation system, which neither the Mughals nor the British had invested in to the same extent as the Chinese government.

Well, also the home-grown agriculture/industrial system was dismantled to be under the control of and for the benefit of distant colonial masters

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

sullat posted:

Well, also the home-grown agriculture/industrial system was dismantled to be under the control of and for the benefit of distant colonial masters

There's a theory that was first pioneered by Armartya Sen and developed by Alex de Waal that argues that while crop failures are natural and fairly common, famine is pretty much always a political decision....that its the result of policies by a government to either confiscate food or refuse to provide food to a population for political purposes, and it tends to look at things like the Irish and Scottish potato famines in the 19th century, the Indian famine in the 1870s, the Ukranian Holdomor in the 1930s, the Bengal famine of 1943 and 1974, the Ethiopian famine of 1983-1985, and so on.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Epicurius posted:

Just off the top of my head, check out James O'Donnells "Pagans: The End of Traditional Religion and the Rise of Christianity". He talks a little about there and the way that Julian, who was raised Christian and had a Christian understanding of religion, took his understanding of NeoPlatoniam and forced it into a Christian model.

Ah, so the Renaissance began in 360AD.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Julian grew up seeing how Constantine had risen to power by fostering and harnessing the development of a serious ecclesiastical elite class mostly in the eastern big cities (also by gigantic civil wars but Julian lucked out of having to do that bit) and he figured he could do the same thing but with traditional religion. Unfortunately for him he hosed up and died before his project got anywhere. It seems dim in retrospect but had he ended up as a political force for decades the way Constantine did, it’s quite possible he could have succeeded in the sense of getting a permanent organization of pagan religious leaders set up — granted he was obviously not a smooth operator politically and it’s also quite possible someone else would have done away with him if the Persians hadn’t.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Safety Biscuits posted:

Ah, so the Renaissance began in 360AD.

O'Connell's basic argument is that Christianity led to a bunch of changes in the Roman world in the way people thought about gods and the relationship with the divine, and our understanding of traditional Roman religion is skewed because of that. (He also argues a lot of the "conflict" between Christian and pagan and the idea of a pagan revival was overstated)

quote:

We can also see plenty of evidence of the survival of belief, practice, and allegiance in the realm of the ordinary. Most people didn’t care. The town of Harran on the Persian frontier, for example, was widely reputed to have held on to its ancient practices until the time of the Arab conquest—as why not? Old rites of the Lupercalia and the festivities surrounding the opening of the new year in January crop up at isolated points in the fifth century.1 The silence, I say, is deafening by comparison to what we might expect if the self-serving Christian narrative about die-hard resistance were true. The survival of traditional practices never amounted to an expression of a pagan movement. Outside Christian imaginations, there was no such thing as paganism, only people doing what they were in the habit of doing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Epicurius posted:

O'Connell's basic argument is that Christianity led to a bunch of changes in the Roman world in the way people thought about gods and the relationship with the divine, and our understanding of traditional Roman religion is skewed because of that. (He also argues a lot of the "conflict" between Christian and pagan and the idea of a pagan revival was overstated)

This quote seems overstated. Besides Julian himself, there were people like Proclus, who I would call a serious pagan theologian. It does seem fair to say that there were few “devout” (in the sense of our Christian-influenced conception of religion today) believers in the “default” Greco-Roman gods, although there were plenty who were really into Isis, Mithras, and the other “mystery religion” gods in a way paralleling the Christian idea of religiousity.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Epicurius posted:

Something people forget is that the Roman government itself was pretty small compared to a modern government, and exercised a lot less control over its people...it wasn't big enough to do so, record keeping and communications technology wasn't advanced enough to do so, and expectations about what a government was "supposed" to do were different.

Even more recent pre-industrial empires had relatively small numbers of officials. I believe the Qing dynasty only had a few hundred of thousand officials at it's peak to govern an empire of hundreds of millions. By contrast, even if you don't count teachers, the US government has millions of non-military employees.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Even more recent pre-industrial empires had relatively small numbers of officials. I believe the Qing dynasty only had a few hundred of thousand officials at it's peak to govern an empire of hundreds of millions. By contrast, even if you don't count teachers, the US government has millions of non-military employees.

Interestingly only became large after ww2 and has not kept pace with population since 2000

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CES9091000001

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Interestingly only became large after ww2 and has not kept pace with population since 2000

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CES9091000001

Add state, county, and city/town employees to that, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/USGOVT

Approx 14% of all workers

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My uneducated guess would be that increased automation allows the government to not keep hiring in pace with population.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Elyv posted:

My uneducated guess would be that increased automation allows the government to not keep hiring in pace with population.

There's also the whole, "Work harder so we can hire less people"

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Elyv posted:

looooooooooooooooool

Less glib response: the government is dead last when it comes to adopting new technologies and employing them in ways that would lessen the need for workers as you describe. The real limiting factors are budgets and politics, with the latter overwhelmingly influencing the former

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

You can see the two big dips named Ronald Regan and beginning of semi-regular govt. shutdowns. I bet the number has also been influenced by the desire for outsourced contractors over direct hires.

That said, some old problems are new again. The current college admissions issues with meritocracy and standardized exams are basically the same reasons why the Chinese aristocracy dominated the imperial examinations system.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I do wonder if the Imperial Examination system allocated 70% of its budget to admin positions and they spent it all on new buildings and real estate schemes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
researchers describe 3,000 year old baby bottles :3:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/25/science/prehistoric-baby-bottles.html

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Geddy Lee would be jealous.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Ozzy would approve as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I feel like I could wear a replica of those around and no one would question me.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Joseph Needham, The Shorter Science and Civilization in China posted:

Liu Chhi wrote, in his Hsia Jih Chi (Records of Leisure Hours) some time before his death in A.D. 1117, that his contemporary Shih Kiang, and other judges, used various magnifying lenses of rock-crystal for deciphering illegible documents in legal cases. The judges also used dark glasses made of smoky quartz, not, as we do, to protect our eyes from the sun, but to disguise from litigants their reactions to the evidence. However, blank spectacles with slits were used from early times as snow-glasses by Tibetans and Mongolians, and the Chinese made use of these too.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I had a question about ancient augury/religion/superstition. Is there any evidence on what they thought was happening when the oracles read the signs? I'm curious about the force behind what they thought was happening, whether a good omen was that this outcome is preordained, the gods will fight on our side, or something else entirely. Same with superstition, did they think knocking on way cause the effect they wanted to occur, or cause outside forces to intervene to try and make it so.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Carillon posted:

I had a question about ancient augury/religion/superstition. Is there any evidence on what they thought was happening when the oracles read the signs? I'm curious about the force behind what they thought was happening, whether a good omen was that this outcome is preordained, the gods will fight on our side, or something else entirely. Same with superstition, did they think knocking on way cause the effect they wanted to occur, or cause outside forces to intervene to try and make it so.

Cicero wrote a fairly interesting book “On Divination”, book 1 of which takes the form of Cicero’s brother arguing why and how divination is valid, while book 2 takes the form of Cicero arguing why and how it’s nonsense. Full of odd anecdotes about prophecies and weirdness, worth a read. tl;dr is that traditional Roman religious thought believed in kind of animistic omnipresent divine forces called numina and they’re what causes auguries to work.

Sample odd anecdote

quote:

What history has failed to record the fact that while Servius Tullius slept his head burst into flame?

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 27, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sunday school drop outs just did an episode on Titus Flavius Josephus. It included an excellent anecdote from the Jewish Wars. Joe was adjudicating a dispute in Galilee, in which some Galileans were accusing their gentile neighbors of using witchcraft to aid the Romans. Joe said: "Rome would not keep so many tens of thousands in arms if it could overcome its enemies by wizardry."

I thought that was an astute argument.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Xenophon on Socrates in Memorabilia:

quote:

First then, that he rejected the gods acknowledged by the state — what evidence did they produce of that? He offered sacrifices constantly, and made no secret of it, now in his home, now at the altars of the state temples, and he made use of divination with as little secrecy. Indeed it had become notorious that Socrates claimed to be guided by ‘the deity:’1 it was out of this claim, I think, that the charge of bringing in strange deities arose.
He was no more bringing in anything strange than are other believers in divination, who rely on augury, oracles, coincidences and sacrifices. For these men's belief is not that the birds or the folk met by accident know what profits the inquirer, but that they are the instruments by which the gods make this known; and that was Socrates' belief too.

Only, whereas most men say that the birds or the folk they meet dissuade or encourage them, Socrates said what he meant: for he said that the deity gave him a sign. Many of his companions were counselled by him to do this or not to do that in accordance with the warnings of the deity: and those who followed his advice prospered, and those who rejected it had cause for regret.
And yet who would not admit that he wished to appear neither a knave nor a fool to his companions? but he would have been thought both, had he proved to be mistaken when he alleged that his counsel was in accordance with divine revelation. Obviously, then, he would not have given the counsel if he had not been confident that what he said would come true. And who could have inspired him with that confidence but a god? And since he had confidence in the gods, how can he have disbelieved in the existence of the gods?
Another way he had of dealing with intimate friends was this: if there was no room for doubt, he advised them to act as they thought best; but if the consequences could not be foreseen, he sent them to the oracle to inquire whether the thing ought to be done.
Those who intended to control a house or a city, he said, needed the help of divination. For the craft of carpenter, smith, farmer or ruler, and the theory of such crafts, and arithmetic and economics and generalship might be learned and mastered by the application of human powers; but the deepest secrets of these matters the gods reserved to themselves; they were dark to men. You may plant a field well; but you know not who shall gather the fruits: you may build a house well; but you know not who shall dwell in it: able to command, you cannot know whether it is profitable to command: versed in statecraft, you know not whether it is profitable to guide the state: though, for your delight, you marry a pretty woman, you cannot tell whether she will bring you sorrow: though you form a party among men mighty in the state, you know not whether they will cause you to be driven from the state.

If any man thinks that these matters are wholly within the grasp of the human mind and nothing in them is beyond our reason, that man, he said, is irrational. But it is no less irrational to seek the guidance of heaven in matters which men are permitted by the gods to decide for themselves by study: to ask, for instance, Is it better to get an experienced coachman to drive my carriage or a man without experience?1 Is it better to get an experienced seaman to steer my ship or a man without experience? So too with what we may know by reckoning, measurement or weighing. To put such questions to the gods seemed to his mind profane. In short, what the gods have granted us to do by help of learning, we must learn; what is hidden from mortals we should try to find out from the gods by divination: for to him that is in their
grace the gods grant a sign.

Bolded the bits I thought was most pertinent to the discussion.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

Sample odd anecdote

Servius Tullius's mother knew he would become King of Rome because when he was a baby, a circlet of flame appeared around his head.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Epicurius posted:

Servius Tullius's mother knew he would become King of Rome because when he was a baby, a circlet of flame appeared around his head.

Moms knew.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Epicurius posted:

How'd that work out for you, chief?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Carillon posted:

I could be wrong about this, but I believe Xenophon (who was a sacrificin' fool) writes about this, taking the angle that divinations show what is *possible* if we live up to our potential. Bad omens, You're fuxked; good omens, you've got a good chance, but no guarantees.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is an Etruscan liver diagram. There are other examples from Mesopotamia of the same idea. The liver's divided up into sections that correspond to different deities. You'd examine the liver for any blemishes, and presumably consult one of these and whatever region the mark is in tells you what deity is sending you a message.

How you interpret that message is is a more difficult question. Given what we know of religion writ large I am comfortable saying that there was no rigorous system and the augur could interpret things as they wished to a great extent. But it's not completely lacking in system. We have these diagrams, we know there are situations where the auguries are more of a clear binary--sacred chickens refusing to eat before battle, for a famous example--but it isn't consistent.

Bad omens = hosed good omens = not guaranteed but go ahead seems to be a common way of looking at it. There's also an after the fact aspect to it. If you won the battle, obviously the gods were on your side/your gods were more powerful than their gods. If you lost, welp, clearly you missed the omens and are a moron. When you read about all the terrible omens that happened before a disaster, that's all made up after the fact to make a moral lesson.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
During the consulship of Bibulus and Caesar, Bibulus was able to declare every day Caesar wanted to get something done ill-omened. While this was transparently a political ploy even to his contemporaries I wonder if there legitimately were enough omens and enough ways to game the system that if you wanted a specific answer you could make it happen no matter what that answer was

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

sullat posted:

How'd that work out for you, chief?

He did pretty well until he was murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cheetah7071 posted:

During the consulship of Bibulus and Caesar, Bibulus was able to declare every day Caesar wanted to get something done ill-omened. While this was transparently a political ploy even to his contemporaries I wonder if there legitimately were enough omens and enough ways to game the system that if you wanted a specific answer you could make it happen no matter what that answer was

Of course they shouldn't do something on an ill-omened day. What if that was the day Bibulus was correct?