Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

Well, he probably exaggerated how fast he completed the Kessel Run but I fully expect the Young Solo movie to actually center around it or at least expand on it.

He's not exaggerating. He pulled a random unit of measurement out his rear end. The entire joke is that a parsec is a unit of distance, while Han thinks it means 'per second' or something.

Fans have tried various bullshit explanations for the joke, but Star Wars simply uses the metric system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He's not exaggerating. He pulled a random unit of measurement out his rear end. The entire joke is that a parsec is a unit of distance, while Han thinks it means 'per second' or something.

Fans have tried various bullshit explanations for the joke, but Star Wars simply uses the metric system.

It's not a fan thing, it was officially licensed EU stuff. I'm not 100% sure if it made the jump to Canon or not, but at least in Legends, the Kessel Run was measured in distance because you could shave distance off the run by flying closer to the Maw cluster of black holes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

It's not a fan thing, it was officially licensed EU stuff. I'm not 100% sure if it made the jump to Canon or not, but at least in Legends, the Kessel Run was measured in distance because you could shave distance off the run by flying closer to the Maw cluster of black holes.

The EU is written by the autistic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jivjov posted:

It's not a fan thing, it was officially licensed EU stuff.

Those aren't at all exclusive.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's really weird that Star Wars Fans wants Han Solo to shoot Greedo first but aren't okay with him bullshitting about the Kessel Run, it's almost like he's a...scoundrel???

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ungulateman posted:

It's really weird that Star Wars Fans wants Han Solo to shoot Greedo first but aren't okay with him bullshitting about the Kessel Run, it's almost like he's a...scoundrel???

They don't want jokes in their documentaries. Everything is literal and taken at face value, which is why the Han shoots at the same time change annoys them so much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

The EU is written by the autistic.

Nice casual ableism you loving shithead

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

Nice casual ableism you loving shithead

Don't kinkshame.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

StopHangingDjs posted:

I disagree that Rogue One wasn't a typical Star Wars film. It felt pretty typical to me just without lightsabers.

You're looking at the superficial stylistic elements like laser swords, space planes, and wind-up-toy tanks instead of the fact that the Quirky Diverse Team Of Heroes protagonists all die in the third act. You know, the actual... narrative structure? The... thing the movie wants the audience to take away about the titular "star wars"?

A New Hope and its followups are military recruitment movies. Rogue One is a war movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Let me just clear the air here and say I'm fully ok with Han making poo poo up and being a scruffy nerf hearder scoundrel, but none of us honestly have any real idea what Han is talking about when he feeds Old Ben that line about the Millenial Falcon. The only things we have to go on about Kessel is that they have spice mines there and the rest got shoved into Legends and that he's using a measure of distance to explain how quickly he did something. Stands to reason though that if Rey heard about the Kessel Run completion then it's probably now officially something rather than just a con that Han made up to try and weasel an old man out of more credits.

Not saying he wouldn't do that though, dudes a sleez with a heart of gold.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't it be that it's just something he made up off the top of his head, and then people called him on it later, so he needed to come up with a bullshit justification ("um well there's a black hole nearby so you can cut some distance off the run but it's not safe") and wound up accidentally successfully convincing the entire galaxy that this is one of his major accomplishments?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I might need to go back and rewatch the original trilogy, I never caught Alec Guinness's emoting in this scene and it's hilarious. Makes me wonder what other more things I never picked up on.

He makes another bemused face when he sees the Falcon for the first time and Han makes another boast. I had never noticed it until it was pointed out to me the last time I watched ANH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k-941c-ZTc&t=75s

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Han is an actual spaceship pilot, though, you figure they would know the lingo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
All those rigorous written tests... for being a space pirate.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I choose to believe that his boast is not a category error, but is valid technobabble we are meant to parse as "implausibly fast."

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Some fans seem happy that Disney does not plan to recreate Carrie Fisher's face using CGI. This seems rather odd, because they've been doing that for ages in the novels and comics magazines and this latest TV cartoon and action figures. I thought they did a good job recreating Tarkin; I was impressed, not creeped out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I have a feeling the standalone young Han Solo movie is going to be titled The Kessel Run: A Star Wars Story.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013

21 Muns posted:

You're looking at the superficial stylistic elements like laser swords, space planes, and wind-up-toy tanks instead of the fact that the Quirky Diverse Team Of Heroes protagonists all die in the third act. You know, the actual... narrative structure? The... thing the movie wants the audience to take away about the titular "star wars"?

A New Hope and its followups are military recruitment movies. Rogue One is a war movie.

I dunno. We got a group of heroes, a girl with a pedigree and a attitude, a pilot of questionable morals and a hidden heart of gold, a snarky robot, a comedy relief who also provides the muscle and a wise old man. The man and the woman become closer at the end but this time don't hook up because Disney. An old bearded white guy bites the dust but not before imparting crucial knowledge to the heroes. That's most of the original crew sans Luke and a R2D2. They also have the goal of stopping a giant super weapon in space. In fact the same exact weapon. The heroes go from a wretched hive of scum and villany to a enemy base to a suicide run. Except team Rogue One doesn't make it out. I mean the fact that the characters die at the end is different but the characters and events progress not too differently from the old Star Wars. Unless you're saying Rogue One is a grittier darker movie then the others. In which case I disagree I'd say ROTS is darker, edgier and also a better prequel (but not by much)

Even calling Rogue One a war movie doesn't sit right by me. Aren't war movies supposed to be downbeat, bloody and end on a sad note? Rogue One ends with the heroes doing a noble sacrifice and Darth Vader having a "awesome badass" slaughter of soldiers. Course I could be wrong on this point. This doesn't feel like Saving Private Ryan in Star Wars to me though

StopHangingDjs fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 30, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

StopHangingDjs posted:

Aren't war movies supposed to be downbeat, bloody and end on a sad note?

Not necessarily, no.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man A New Hope is loving boring. Saved by the Death Star attack.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Teek posted:

He makes another bemused face when he sees the Falcon for the first time and Han makes another boast. I had never noticed it until it was pointed out to me the last time I watched ANH.

Obi Wan is a catty bitch.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

General Dog posted:

Obi Wan is a catty bitch.

The prequels made Obi-Wan my favorite Star Wars character. He is more rash than Han Solo and just as snarky.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

Haha, it's a straight-up eye roll. Never noticed that before.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

The joke there is the fans' inability to grapple with the concept of 'a protagonist lying' ended up literally ripping a big loving hole in space-time.

See also: the black hole in Obiwan's map. "Where did the planet go??"

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Nothing says rebellion quite like the world's largest data mining company and corporate lobbyist coming to the rescue. Wait
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/opinion/silicon-valley-takes-a-right-turn.html?_r=1

edit: Sorry for the table-breaking image, is there really no way to replace?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 31, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It looks better in a solid color.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

See also: the black hole in Obiwan's map. "Where did the planet go??"

Sidious is so powerful, he can alter the canon.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"Have you heard the tale of Darth Plagueis the Wise?"

"No, he isn't in any of the EU sources I've read..." :v:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

General Dog posted:

Sidious is so powerful, he can alter the canon.

Pray he doesn't alter it any further

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Pray he doesn't alter it any further

This deal is getting worse all the time

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/826096442242502656

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
What does the abbreviation EU mean?

What does it take for something that wasn't in the movies to become canon?

I'm excited about the potential for an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie that takes place between ep. III and ep. IV. What do people think it could be about?

I'm looking to expand my knowledge of Star Wars further, but the sheer amount of books, comic books, animated series, animated movies, and video games has me very overwhelmed. What do people recommend? I think I tried watching the animated series when it first came out around 2003 and I was graduating high school and I thought it was lame. Does it hold up; is it worth trying to get into as an adult?

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In order:

Extended Universe

It never will be, sorry

It, conceptually, is a great idea, but will ultimately prove unsatisfying.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ulillinguist posted:

What does the abbreviation EU mean?

What does it take for something that wasn't in the movies to become canon?

I'm excited about the potential for an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie that takes place between ep. III and ep. IV. What do people think it could be about?

Expanded Universe

Anything published post-Disney buy-out is canonical, anything from before that is Legends. (Things like video games are vetted for authenticity, but are non-canonical)

Though it would never happen, I'm hoping for a straight adaptation of the Kenobi novel.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Ulillinguist posted:

I'm looking to expand my knowledge of Star Wars further, but the sheer amount of books, comic books, animated series, animated movies, and video games has me very overwhelmed. What do people recommend? I think I tried watching the animated series when it first came out around 2003 and I was graduating high school and I thought it was lame. Does it hold up; is it worth trying to get into as an adult?

The vast, vast majority of Star Wars is fanfiction of varying, usually low, quality. Don't stress about paying attention to all of it. Most of it isn't even canon these days, if that's something that concerns you.

Outside of the movies, the best content is The Clone Wars (both versions, but you already said you dislike the 2003 one). The series based on the Clone Wars movie is quite tonally different, and while the movie and the first season are pretty bad it really picks up from season 2 onwards. Rebels is a currently running show set between episodes III and IV which is sort of like an uglier, less coherent version, but it's still decent.

There's a currently active thread in the Book Barn focused on the non-movie content, particularly the novels:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338643

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There are things that are in the movies and things that are not in the movies. In that respect, canonicity is basically meaningless.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Barudak posted:

Obi-wan is the equivalent of a guy who tells you "hold my beer" before doing something stupidly dangerous and then turning around and telling you not to sip his beer cause it kills braincells. The man loves fighting, drinking, and fighting in that order and I feel like i should point out the only things he explicitly trains or invokes Luke to do are all combat related.

poo poo hes the one who just flat out tells him to kill his dad.

And according to The Clone Wars has a woman on the side.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Owns owns owns

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

"He said parsecs because it sounds like a spacey-sounding version of a real unit of time."
Good.

"He said it because he is an idiot, which is further corroborated by many of his actions in the story and the state of his ship."
Better.

"Parsec, in the real world, is actually a unit of distance, meaning Han is actually describing a complex mathematical equation-"
False

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hbomberguy posted:

"He said parsecs because it sounds like a spacey-sounding version of a real unit of time."
Good.

"He said it because he is an idiot, which is further corroborated by many of his actions in the story and the state of his ship."
Better.

"Parsec, in the real world, is actually a unit of distance, meaning Han is actually describing a complex mathematical equation-"
False

But the man you're referring to is ostensibly the best pilot in the trilogy and pilots a spacecraft that blows up two Death Stars.

Given the evidence I think he's a guy that knows a lot about flying.

• Locked thread