Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Manager Hoyden posted:

If anyone is curious what Abbott said, these are the major points:
3. ERCOT lied to the state (this is surprising) about winterization of generators,

What are the odds Abbott is lying about this? I wouldn't be at all surprised if ERCOT honestly informed state gov that they had not winterized generators.

gently caress, it's not like this wasn't predicted a week in advance. People on facebook were panicking about the cold long enough in advance to order extra insulation and stuff for pipes. It's unconscionable the power plant owners who had their plants go offline didn't take any preventative steps. Especially the ones who went offline only because of fuel shortages or the "sudden" spike in the cost of same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Is there any campaign underway to recall Abbott as governor? It looks like some Democrats are calling for him to resign but obviously he won't.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Texas governors can’t be recalled. Right?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

theCalamity posted:

Texas governors can’t be recalled. Right?

Yeah you're right, Texas has no provisions for recall of governors. drat, sorry.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

LLSix posted:

What are the odds Abbott is lying about this? I wouldn't be at all surprised if ERCOT honestly informed state gov that they had not winterized generators.

gently caress, it's not like this wasn't predicted a week in advance. People on facebook were panicking about the cold long enough in advance to order extra insulation and stuff for pipes. It's unconscionable the power plant owners who had their plants go offline didn't take any preventative steps. Especially the ones who went offline only because of fuel shortages or the "sudden" spike in the cost of same.

I think it's entirely possible Abbott is lying but I doubt it. Then again, as they start pulling hundreds of dead bodies out of unheated apartments and nursing homes I'm sure Abbott will want the spotlight pointed at someone else.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
it's going to feel weird going from this back to the good ole' sweltering texas heat next week

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

adoration for none posted:

Is there any campaign underway to recall Abbott as governor? It looks like some Democrats are calling for him to resign but obviously he won't.

Maybe if he gets enough poo poo for this, he won't stand for reelection.

Although honestly, I think he'll get more poo poo for the mask ordinance than the horrible, horrible disaster that is his fault or the piss poor response to the pandemic.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

As the generation equipment gets loaded it tends to slow down and the frequency of the power generated starts to drop as well since the equipment doesn't have enough oomph to push the voltage positive and negative as fast as it normally could. Since there are tons of different types of generators on the system that happens unevenly across the grid.

That's real bad because if one generation plant is producing power at 60.000 cycles per second (Hz) and a second one is producing at 59.995Hz eventually the timing difference between the two units will grow large enough that one generator is trying to force the grid voltage positive and the other is trying to force it negative (a condition known as being "out of phase") which leads to essentially a short circuit hundreds of miles long.

There are protective elements in place to prevent that from happening and they would have been tripped. But when they trip they tend to cut off big sections of the grid from each other which causes the overload to spike causing more generators to lag causing more trips... eventually the grid just collapses into a few small islands that happen to have enough generation capacity for whatever is nearby.

Getting back from those islands to a fully functional grid is very very hard. Those islands are out of sync with each other, they have to be precisely and carefully brought to all be producing at exactly the same frequency and phase. Simultaneously you've got lots of plants that are entirely shut down and require power to start up (to pump coolant, power blowers that fan flames, etc), so you need to direct power to them and let them stabilize in a process called a "black start" AND get them synced up. Some plants will have damage since the protective equipment can only act so fast. It can take days to weeks to bring things back up.

Cutting loose all the load was the right call, they just never should have been in a position where they needed to do it.
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1362483794339635206

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

I brought along a rolling suitcase suitable for a 3-5 day trip to drop my daughters off in Cancun, I never intended to stay. - Ted Cruz

That’s just how much space a backup human suit takes. It’s not very heavy but for an entity of Ted’s mass it takes up a lot of space due to the non-Euclidean geometry of the interior required to support all of the gestational pods and acidic digestion hexagons.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although honestly, I think he'll get more poo poo for the mask ordinance than the horrible, horrible disaster that is his fault or the piss poor response to the pandemic.

I'm fine with this. Let's come at him from the left and the right.

Unity.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

That’s just how much space a backup human suit takes. It’s not very heavy but for an entity of Ted’s mass it takes up a lot of space due to the non-Euclidean geometry of the interior required to support all of the gestational pods and acidic digestion hexagons.

it's all white sugar for the bugs inside the suit

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Trump has some sort of beef with him (didn't kiss rear end hard enough I guess) so it's not out of the realm of possible gets primaried by a Qanon Looney.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
sounds like a step up to me since qanoners get poo poo done

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

BoosterDuck posted:

sounds like a step up to me since qanoners get poo poo done

Would you say they make the trains run on time?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
has anyone said Fled Cruz yet?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
This really explains why he gave such a short repsonse to being called out on his California tweets, he had those warm Cancun beahces on the brain.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Friend posted:

What chaperone tries to ditch the kids in coach and get himself upgraded?
The Mcallisters in the Home Alone movies.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Captain Monkey posted:

has anyone said Fled Cruz yet?

:discourse:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/ashley_mosier1/status/1361830245884657665?s=21

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1362547805634625549

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just got power back after being off since Monday at 2 AM, suck my dick Abbot I bet your fuckin wheelchair kept a charge all this time while you went to bitch about windmills on Fox

Gromble
Aug 4, 2007
pop
Slippery Tilde

Manager Hoyden posted:

If anyone is curious what Abbott said, these are the major points:
3. ERCOT lied to the state (this is surprising) about winterization of generators, and we are responding by giving them lots of money to pay for winterization in the future (this is not surprising).

LLSix posted:

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think it's entirely possible Abbott is lying but I doubt it. Then again, as they start pulling hundreds of dead bodies out of unheated apartments and nursing homes I'm sure Abbott will want the spotlight pointed at someone else.

ERCOT told power plants on February 8 to implement their winter weather operating plans starting on the 11th. The problem is that the power plants aren't required to have a winter plan or winterize their plants, because the legislature made it voluntary even after the February 2011 winter storm caused rolling outages. ERCOT just implements the policies decided by the legislature, PUC (whose commissioners are appointed by the governor), and their board (whose composition is set by the legislature and, surprise, is dominated by power companies).

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wait so the problem was a lack of regulation and money? What a surprise!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Gromble posted:

ERCOT told power plants on February 8 to implement their winter weather operating plans starting on the 11th. The problem is that the power plants aren't required to have a winter plan or winterize their plants, because the legislature made it voluntary even after the February 2011 winter storm caused rolling outages. ERCOT just implements the policies decided by the legislature, PUC (whose commissioners are appointed by the governor), and their board (whose composition is set by the legislature and, surprise, is dominated by power companies).

Guy on the news tonight said they are required to have a plan, but there is no requirement of what the plan entails or that they even tell anyone what the plan is. I pictured a blank document titled "plan.pdf"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Does Texas even have recalls?

Also is getting Abbott to resign a good idea when the Lt Gov is worse? Like neither of them should be governor and it sucks to say Abbott is untouchable no matter what he does, but Dan Patrick should really definitely not be governor if we want people to not die from governmental spite/neglect

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Posting wet cruz

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1362545270815264774?s=20

VitalSigns posted:

Does Texas even have recalls?

Also is getting Abbott to resign a good idea when the Lt Gov is worse? Like neither of them should be governor and it sucks to say Abbott is untouchable no matter what he does, but Dan Patrick should really definitely not be governor if we want people to not die from governmental spite/neglect

We have the old tradition of putting useless governors out to pasture. Just wheel the old guy out into a field and let him roam free.

e: oh god this thread https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1362551227142209537?s=20

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhguE_yh3U

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

love to bring a large suitcase while chaperoning my children

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

50 lbs of canned soup is a 2 day supply for Teddy

:hmmyes:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That NYT article is really damning. His wife was the one that wanted to head to Cancun on Wednesday.

Just loving own it Rafael

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

imagine being such a piece of poo poo that not even other rich WASPs want to run coverage for you jesus christ

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
guess we'll find out how much that "is a republican" category cruz enjoys will hold up another cycle.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sir Tonk posted:

guess we'll find out how much that "is a republican" category cruz enjoys will hold up another cycle.

He’ll win re-election unless he loses the primary to someone.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I can't even imagine how bad it would be if the whole state lost power for months. I'm using this to convince my wife to finally let me have some guns in the house "We have a generator. what do you think happens when the power has been out for weeks and we are one of the only people with one?"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I can't even imagine how bad it would be if the whole state lost power for months. I'm using this to convince my wife to finally let me have some guns in the house "We have a generator. what do you think happens when the power has been out for weeks and we are one of the only people with one?"

two people with guns won't change that lmao, life is not a movie.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oh poo poo. The dog people are going to go after Cruz now

https://twitter.com/keitholbermann/status/1362588972577341442?s=21

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1362570036481769474?s=20

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Captain Monkey posted:

two people with guns won't change that lmao, life is not a movie.

Idk, I lost power for almost 4 weeks after ike. Got a generator around the end of week 1, got my door kicked around week 2. You better drat well know what you're doing if you go that route.

And no I didn't shoot anyone because I'm not a cop and looters aren't hardened movie ultra-criminals.