Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My Hero Academia Manga: new phone who dis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad the focus is sticking with the League. I was expecting the perspective to change after last chapter but it's cool that it seems they're getting a longer arc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

My Hero Academia Manga: new phone who dis

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hori callin' out the hand that feeds him.

God bless.

EDIT: Oh god is that a Gorillaz reference.

Between the name of that company and the character design, most assuredly.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Niigata is where I live!! That's neat. It is indeed nothing but cold snow and mountains up here. I love it though.

Also, anyone know what Deika's about? I'm assuming it's another Star Wars thing.

Chapter was pretty good! Twice continues to be far and away the best member of the bunch, but I'm liking Spinner more and more too. Not a super big fan of Tomura being able to survive barely sleeping and eating while fighting for two days at a time between 3 hour breaks. It just goes a bit beyond what's realistic for someone like him. But he's gotta become hero-level somehow so may as well just say he already is, I guess.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Maybe Deika is Dagobah?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Chapter was pretty good! Twice continues to be far and away the best member of the bunch, but I'm liking Spinner more and more too. Not a super big fan of Tomura being able to survive barely sleeping and eating while fighting for two days at a time between 3 hour breaks. It just goes a bit beyond what's realistic for someone like him. But he's gotta become hero-level somehow so may as well just say he already is, I guess.

Shigaraki's been ridiculous in terms of physical ability from his debut; guy went toe-to-toe with Aizawa and figured out his quirk's limitations by watching him, then basically flash stepped halfway across USJ to try to kill Tsuyu when they were about to book it before All Might showed up. He also took getting shot up after all that pretty well, and was able to deal with Stain running him through in their initial fight too. People have talked about how the series uses shonen levels of physical ability even when someone doesn't have quirks to aid them there, and Shigaraki's always been on the extreme end of that. We just don't see it often; outside of the above and the car chase at the end of the Overhaul arc he hasn't had a ton of opportunities to get physical, probably because his quirk is so all-or-nothing, and even those moments we do get most of it happens off-panel or is otherwise pretty short, so it's easy to forget.

Edit: As for my comments on the chapter, hoo boy, that looks bad for the VA. I hope the Detnerat CEO and co get brought down a peg. Also that Giran gets new fingers at some point.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 5, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Ganbatte, Tomura-kun!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Niigata is where I live!! That's neat. It is indeed nothing but cold snow and mountains up here. I love it though.

Also, anyone know what Deika's about? I'm assuming it's another Star Wars thing.

Blockhouse posted:

Maybe Deika is Dagobah?

This, maybe? I know nothing about Star Wars.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/D%27Qar

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Sam Faust posted:

Ganbatte, Tomura-kun!

:perfect:

Setup for coming events makes me think Shiggy is going to make Gigantomachia acknowledge him in the nick of dramatic timing to surprise Liberation Army :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This, maybe? I know nothing about Star Wars.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/D%27Qar

oh that makes sense

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, it's going to be crazy when the League murders a bunch of CEOs.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rhonne posted:

Man, it's going to be crazy when the League murders a bunch of CEOs.

Yeah, the social fallout is gonna be devastating and I am super eager to see where this goes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's also pretty cool that this arc really does seem to be purely villain vs villain.

Unless of course, Deku just happens to be visiting the city at the exact same time this all goes down for unrelated reasons. It wouldn't be the first time he just accidentally bumped into a villain while walking about.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Bakugou and Todoroki did already take out a couple mooks that were using Detnerat's black market goods, so they could theoretically end up involved at some point.

Ideally it wouldn't happen at all, and this My Villain Academia arc can be purely League of Villains as our main characters for a good stretch, but if it does it'll hopefully be further down the line.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I certainly hope the heroes don't blunder into this. The League of Villains needs a big, unequivocal win of this scale - wiping out a bunch of major CEOs and decapitating the leadership of a gigantic, well-established organization - to establish them as a credible existential threat to, well, the entire societal system; right now they're half a dozen raggedy rear end vagabonds/murderers wanted by an entire army of superpowered cops and their non-superpowered support system.

Hell, Re-Destro literally threatens them with tipping off half a dozen heroes(albeit high ranked ones) about their location and it's treated as basically the final word in whether or not they can avoid compliance, which says a lot about their current threat level.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Rhonne posted:

It wouldn't be the first time he just accidentally bumped into a villain while walking about.

That is the point of patrolling, at least.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

That is the point of patrolling, at least.

Most of the time it happens while he's doing mundane things like going to the mall or to the store.

I think the real climax of this arc is going to be whether Spinner starts buying into Shigaraki's ideology and leaves his Stain fanboyism behind, or if he'll realize he's made some big mistakes and turns on Shigaraki.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Most of the time it happens while he's doing mundane things like going to the mall or to the store.

I think the real climax of this arc is going to be whether Spinner starts buying into Shigaraki's ideology and leaves his Stain fanboyism behind, or if he'll realize he's made some big mistakes and turns on Shigaraki.

well if it’s the latter then hopefully shigaraki leaves enough of him to make a paperweight or something

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spinner better not die he's too pure.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love how the focus on villains fighting each other means Horikoshi can get loving dark.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mulderman posted:

I love how the focus on villains fighting each other means Horikoshi can get loving dark.

the U.A. kids haven't gotten a taste of this sort of thing since Moonfish

they're still messing about with guys who attack with soda-water and meanwhile the real big players are arranging tasteful collages with their enemies' severed fingers

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Twice is the best. It's wild how a slipshod translation of a guy who constantly contradicts himself can still bring across such a strong personality.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
E: How, why.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Toga just has so much love to give, what a good girl.

I really like the League of Villains. They make me hope that things work out for them in the end (Well, Dabi and Shiggy I don't feel so strongly about), but I know they probably won't.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Crossing the Hellfire Club with Joker is some good poo poo.

edit: Mangastream translation: https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/223/5779/1

The two scanlations are (finally) actually very similar this time around, with only minor phrasing differences. On the whole Mangastream's is slightly better. Page 12 is the only major differences, JB fumbled the phrasing badly on that page.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 5, 2019

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I just love Shiggy and the league more and more. This arc is great.

Also Toga's new coat is adorable! (wonder if its yellow like her uniform?)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's like a $400 coat

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fabricated posted:

That's like a $400 coat
Best Jeanist sells hefty discounts.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

SKULL.GIF posted:

The two scanlations are (finally) actually very similar this time around, with only minor phrasing differences. On the whole Mangastream's is slightly better. Page 12 is the only major differences, JB fumbled the phrasing badly on that page.

Mangastream doesn't have the 'new phone who dis' joke, which although very dumb, I enjoyed quite a bit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I woke up cause I saw dark sclera

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sana-kan posted:

I just love Shiggy and the league more and more. This arc is great.

Also Toga's new coat is adorable! (wonder if its yellow like her uniform?)

Anything's possible

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I don't even dislike the UA stuff, and I like most of the cast, but goddamn if this manga isn't at it's best when the Villain Alliance has the spotlight. They were the best part of the mafia arc besides Lemillion, and I am loving this arc so far.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This manga is better when it isn't trying to juggle 30+ characters at once, which is what happens pretty much all the time at UA.

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

I just realized that Re-Destro is counting every person who bought his book as a member of the Liberation Army.

Look at the top of the panel with Chitose.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
That's a good catch.

Also, I must be in the minority, because I'm kinda eh on this arc. I don't hate it, but meh. Don't care about it overmuch.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

that duck posted:

I just realized that Re-Destro is counting every person who bought his book as a member of the Liberation Army.

Look at the top of the panel with Chitose.

Ahahaha, that's great. Makes his claim both make a lot more sense and removes the "there's no way the VA stands a chance here" aspect of things without removing him as a threat entirely, and highlights how he's delusional regarding his group and sensitive about its perception. I wonder how many people would actually rise up or otherwise act on their behalf if called upon. Far fewer, I would guess.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

How many are going to rise up when libertarian CEOs tells them to rise up I wonder

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

boredsatellite posted:

How many are going to rise up when libertarian CEOs tells them to rise up I wonder

Fewer than 110k but probably more than Japanese society is comfortable with

Remember we've already seen one fanatic rise up (though he was smacked down real quick by Hawks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I can't believe all rich people are secretly apart of a revolutionary army. Someone keep an eye on Momo.