Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
A site called RPG-Gaming has just put out a character builder that's up to date for Blood and Wine, which is great cos up til now I'd been using one that didn't even have the Heart of Stone changes in it. Just as an example, here's the build I'm gonna be shooting for after reading this post:

10 Beers posted:

I did a straight alchemy run with only the first heavy attack skill maxed, and it's ridiculous. My blade oils never wear off, and Grandmaster Wolf armor lets me have 3 oils on each sword. So I always have beast oil and hanged man's venom on my steel one, and always have necrophage oil on my silver sword, and had vampire oil on all the time during B&W. I can have 3 decoctions going all the time, they last forever, I have 9 of each bomb, and each bomb explodes into 6 other bombs. It's a really effective build.

and realising that wolf armour might be a good set bonus after all, so I'm gonna take some of the ideas from that.

ALCHEMY / COMBAT - EUPHORIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Do what the guy in this build did and combine the few pieces of armor that give max crit chance and damage. Combined with euphoria and hybrid combat/alchemy build you'll do monster damage.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Is there anywhere where you can reliably get the archgriffin decoction recipe?

I'm on NG+, nearly at the end quests, but I've missed that recipe so far. I've bought and read both books from the herbalist in Kaer Trolde, which have expanded my bestiary entries but haven't given me the decoction recipe.

It's really frustrating because I want to switch to a Bear school build but I'm missing the best decoction to go with heavy armour.

Edit: ignore this, I already have it. For some reason it's beneath the potions in my inventory screen rather than up the top with all the other decoctions.

kim jong-illin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 12, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Megazver posted:

Do what the guy in this build did and combine the few pieces of armor that give max crit chance and damage. Combined with euphoria and hybrid combat/alchemy build you'll do monster damage.

I finally, finally, after tons of grinding, made enough money to switch over from grandmaster manticore to grandmaster griffin w/ entanglement and freezing aard. Signs are fun as hell to mess with, and freezing aard is insane and I think better all around than the euphoria build, but euphoria is way better vs single target. I don't have to worry about getting hit anymore but doing water hag + succubus + that 50% damage from vit regen + gourmet + archgriffin for 5% vit damage on strong attacks was insane. I should run it in grandmaster ursine armor w/ the heavy armor skill for even more damage, but it's just crazy. 8k damage swings at level 45.

How well do rend + archgriffin work together, not well?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Megazver posted:

Euphoria and thunderbolt will triple your damage anyway, it's the range enchantment that is really doing it for this guy. Nothing about the build prevents skull level enemies from one-shotting you, so being able to deal 10,000 damage from outside their striking range is more important than going from 3-hit kills to 2-hit kills.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

jonnypeh posted:

I just completed the story. What a great cliff-hanging ending that was, the one where Ciri becomes a witcher, but you don't realize it until the very last scene, especially after having told Emhyr that she died.. I was already doubting myself and asking: "where did I gently caress up, was I really such a poo poo (step)parent?"

However, now I can not bring myself to play the DLC. The world feels a whole lot emptier now without Ciri, supermodel sorceresses and all the other fellows. I saw Zoltan though, but he didn't say much. Geralt and Ciri wandering the world and killing monsters would be great DLC, would play that. Perhaps it's time for NG+ and this time I'll complete every bit of DLC before the story ends.

The drinking session at kaer morhen was the best part of the game though.

However, it appears that I'm still missing a few gwent cards. Got to collect them all.

Witcher Ciri ending just doesn't feel right to me, I'm glad I got Empress Ciri.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dr Snofeld posted:

A site called RPG-Gaming has just put out a character builder that's up to date for Blood and Wine, which is great cos up til now I'd been using one that didn't even have the Heart of Stone changes in it. Just as an example, here's the build I'm gonna be shooting for after reading this post:

and realising that wolf armour might be a good set bonus after all, so I'm gonna take some of the ideas from that.

:neckbeard:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I just had to share this infuriating moment I had collecting all the B&W gwent cards this afternoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2mxdTeYv5c

loving unbelievable.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Sometimes the winning move is to not play a card.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there a reason to ever use my steel sword when my silver one does 3 times the damage?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Is there a reason to ever use my steel sword when my silver one does 3 times the damage?

Silver deals heavily reduced damage to non-monsters.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I never understood why they made the silver sword damage numbers higher than steel.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Duke posted:

I just had to share this infuriating moment I had collecting all the B&W gwent cards this afternoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2mxdTeYv5c

loving unbelievable.
I'll say. You were ahead and both you and your opponent had one card left. Nilfgaard wins ties so you should've let them take that round if they were able to and won the last.
:goonsay:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Wine Wars idiot #1: Help me! I'll pay you!
Me: Haggles another 125 out of it
Wine Wars idiot #2: No, Help me! I'll pay you more!
Me: Attempts to haggle for an extra 150
Idiot #2: Stop trying to take advantage of me!!!!

:psyduck:

Safety Factor posted:

I'll say. You were ahead and both you and your opponent had one card left. Nilfgaard wins ties so you should've let them take that round if they were able to and won the last.
:goonsay:

Forgot about Nilf's cheesy rear end faction power! I realized right after I could have just won the 3rd round by passing and playing my extra card I would've gotten by winning round 2 since he wouldn't have poo poo on the last round. Still pretty loving lame though.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 13, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Duke posted:

loving unbelievable.

Always assume the AI has a scorch. Because they almost always do.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

The Duke posted:

loving unbelievable.

learn how to bait out scorch early, gosh

also theres literally no reason to play that catapult. he has a single card. if its a spy, you win. if its not a spy, you win next hand

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tequila Sunrise posted:

And for god's sake get a new steel sword. The damage deficit should not be 3x.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
unless its iris, the sword that just lets you literally heart-stab humanoid bosses

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

And for god's sake get a new steel sword. The damage deficit should not be 3x.

I think it's only that much because I just forged some new Viper Silver Sword I found in a crypt. Also thank god for the Tamerian armor DLC, it was such a huge upgrade to my current stuff. I spent about an hour farming random poo poo just to sell so I could afford all of it.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Just got Whirl or whatever it's called and it doesn't seem very good, am I using it wrong? Just wasting all my adrenaline and stamina for damage I could be doing with fast attacks anyway.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Just got Whirl or whatever it's called and it doesn't seem very good, am I using it wrong? Just wasting all my adrenaline and stamina for damage I could be doing with fast attacks anyway.

Spoilers for HoS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soMCiY0RvmE

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah this, Whirl can hitstun the hell out of enemies.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Posted a while back about Wolf School Armor. I collected all the maps and found all the armor except Part 1. Apparently Part 1 Wolf School Armor sometimes get glitchy and you can't open the chest in Kaer Morhen basically meaning I can't even upgrade the armor because I couldn't get my hands on the first set of armor anyways. Oh well, going to try the Cat School armor now.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 13, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Spin-to-Win is good for needing to dps in a small window of attack like the centipedes that you can only damage for like 5 seconds after trapping them.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I started an NG+ Death March run the past few days

My first playthrough I spammed Quen like a motherfucker, and I'm trying not to do that this time and use more of the other Signs and Potions upgrades

On one hand each battle is exhilarating and exciting

On the other hand I am very frequently learning I am a bad Witcher 3 player :downs:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

21 Hoot Salute posted:

On the other hand I am very frequently learning I am a bad Witcher 3 player :downs:

On the plus side, congrats on finding your balls since quen is for cowards. :colbert:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Quen is a good safety net for counter-cuts. I wouldn't trust myself fighting one-hit enemies to ever use a quick attack stagger defensively without Quen up. It allows you to play more aggressively. Also Northern Wind.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arglebargle III posted:

Quen is a good safety net for counter-cuts. I wouldn't trust myself fighting one-hit enemies to ever use a quick attack stagger defensively without Quen up. It allows you to play more aggressively. Also Northern Wind.

I stand by my long held stance. :colbert:

As I've said the times I've used quen intentionally I can count on one hand.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

anyone on ps4 ever deal with the bug where the steel sword is invisible after you start NG+? is there any way to fix this beyond redoing the entire intro again without having that sword equipped?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

It'd be cool if they patched in the ability to hang the Iris painting and the Caretaker's Spade at Corvo Bianco, seems like an oversight. At least I could hang Starry Night :unsmith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I never realized until my current playthrough that Starry Night by Van Rogh was actually one of Iris's paintings under a pseudonym.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
e:Never mind.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Verviticus posted:

unless its iris, the sword that just lets you literally heart-stab humanoid bosses
?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Posted a while back about Wolf School Armor. I collected all the maps and found all the armor except Part 1. Apparently Part 1 Wolf School Armor sometimes get glitchy and you can't open the chest in Kaer Morhen basically meaning I can't even upgrade the armor because I couldn't get my hands on the first set of armor anyways. Oh well, going to try the Cat School armor now.

Cat School is nice armor, plus the School of the Cat witcher from one of the DLCs comments on it.

Also

:frogsiren:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, it's hard to use whirl against more than 1 opponent without Quen to absorb a hit as you wind up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I downloaded the Witcher Silver Sabres mod because they looked cool, but I've decided I don't like it (stats are too high). Can I safely remove the mod or will that do Bad Things to my savegame?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

RatHat posted:

Yeah, it's hard to use whirl against more than 1 opponent without Quen to absorb a hit as you wind up.

I do it all the time? WIth igni lighting everyone ablaze it's even easier.

Make sure you're moving around as you whirl.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dr Snofeld posted:

My Vanilla/HoS build was essentially this:
http://www.rpg-gaming.com/tw3.html?a=05155565a5b5f5g5&b=031521436393b5&c=33&l=00510a20f31141b51460670b80g900a01b23&m=02152238&u=a

Where I played a little from time to time with what third sign thing I used, but that's about it.

Kind of what I'm using atm in NG+, after mutagens.
http://www.rpg-gaming.com/tw3.html?...&m=02152238&u=a

I'm not sure about what the last upgrade I'm using is atm, I think it's the sustained glyphs, not sure. I'm kinda running out of things to use, but now that I see how awesome that Synergy is, i might have to invest in alchemy some more.

Alchemy builds look like they'd be fun as gently caress.

EDIT:
I'll probably switch the Euphoria soon. The metamorphosis mutagen is kinda cool, but I have not really noticed anything. That could also be because even when I'm rocking 3 extra decoctions at no toxicity I notice no difference.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 13, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hah. I kept researching new mutations without realizing you can only activate one at a time. Lame.

I can step outside the boundaries of Land of a Thousand Fables really reliably. Took my new friend for a tour of Touissant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Xander77 posted:

Hah. I kept researching new mutations without realizing you can only activate one at a time. Lame.

Thats consistent with the skill tree though.

Also, don't forget the bonus of researching other mutagens in that the more you research the more of that center column that opens up for you.