Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

christmas boots posted:

And frankly I prefer to live in a world where eagle boyfriend is real so I’ve made the conscious choice to do so.

:same:

I want an eagle visitor too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

rap isnt about "clever" lyrics its best suited to strong emotions and simple concepts like "friendships" or "being pissed". it's not poetry and it's not about finding the cleverest rhyme word

i also dont like slam poetry and spoken word because it tends to hold this awkward middle ground between poetry and rap when i think those two things basically have nothing to do with eachother and don't blend well

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Uh, poetry isn't always about rhyming either.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

christmas boots posted:

Yeah that's bullshit.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

christmas boots posted:

All the good ones do, though.

With the exception of The Iliad. That was a good non-rhyming poem.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Stanning the Illiad but the Odessey is too far

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Stanning the Illiad but the Odessey is too far

No, man.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Yeah that's bullshit.

no its not, rhymes can make everything feel super corny and sometimes should be avoided

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
phuo: most poets and most writers in general are not very good at reciting their own work. which is to be expected, as reading stuff out loud in an engaging way is not really their job. doesn't stop them from trying though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A teacher had us listen to a portion of fahrenheit 451 narrated by ray Bradbury. This was after his stroke, couldn't understand a word.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, tell me this isn't poetry.

Pussy put that pretty boy I just hosed
Right to sleep,
Second that he’s snorin
Take his wallet and his keys,
And its back to the street going scur-scur in the jeep,
Hot box in the wip,
but this piffy aint cheap,
beep-beep.
Who got the keys to oblivion?
Mark-rear end motherfuckers trickin' in oblivion.
Never gettin rid of him,
Let the money trickle in,
gently caress his brains out once
and never touch his dick again.
Relentless, cuz my taste is expensive,
Lookin at the world through lanvin lenses,
Take everything and they leave no forensic,
Evidence, I’m a Monica Lewinsky,
Yeah I hosed the president, yeah I hosed the president
So I know Obama cares
pictures on my phone
of him chokin on my underwear,
100k a week
Just to make sure,
I don’t share
Called it a secret service

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This is just to say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

But if your problem with the stories is the people in them are too stupid to be real, I have some very bad news for you about people.

I've worked EMS for over a decade now and as a result there's pretty much nothing out there that's so stupid it makes me go "Nobody would ever do that." No matter how stupid the story is, there's somebody out there that's stupid enough to match it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khizan posted:

I've worked EMS for over a decade now and as a result there's pretty much nothing out there that's so stupid it makes me go "Nobody would ever do that." No matter how stupid the story is, there's somebody out there that's stupid enough to match it.

Once you’ve seen someone poo poo their pants so hard they pass out and wreck their car, a lot of things start seeming plausible.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Was that really the order of operations?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Was that really the order of operations?

If you strain too hard while you're making GBS threads you can get a vasovagal response that causes your blood pressure to drop, which can cause you to pass the gently caress out. A lot of old people pass out in the bathroom this way because they're straining too hard trying to take a crap.

I have no problem believing that somebody poo poo their pants so hard that they vagaled out behind the wheel.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

A teacher had us listen to a portion of fahrenheit 451 narrated by ray Bradbury. This was after his stroke, couldn't understand a word.

He was probably sleepy, I know it puts me right to bed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

christmas boots posted:

i didnt say it was

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Poetry is really cool and I don't get it but anybody who does get it is cool, it's like your kind of hippy dippy friend and you pretend you like it because they're your friend.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

E.E. Cummings is a worthless hack, wow you didn't capitalize! And no periods! What a loving genius. Unreadable bullshit, the fact that people took that poo poo seriously is the most damning condemnation of modern poetry that I can think of.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whatever you call Rothko's style is also bullshit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

E.E. Cummings is a worthless hack, wow you didn't capitalize! And no periods! What a loving genius. Unreadable bullshit, the fact that people took that poo poo seriously is the most damning condemnation of modern poetry that I can think of.

I too am a GBS mod circa 2008

doverhog
May 31, 2013

To enjoy poetry you gotta let it take over you, and also have the ability and willingness to do that. It's just a bunch of boring words otherwise. Enjoying poetry is kinda like enjoying music on hard mode.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My upon upon does
outward the for floor
quietly stare
that poisoned mouses

still that person live
is asking to what
take myself do this
you are a wouldn’t take

out of the floor
quietly Stare
a poisoned mouse

still who alive
is asking What
have i done that
You wouldn’t have

One of these is a celebrated "Poet" one of these is his work run through Lingo Jam's bad translator, they are indistinguishable

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

One of these is a celebrated "Poet" one of these is his work run through Lingo Jam's bad translator, they are indistinguishable

wtf? i mean, they are clearly distinguishable lmao, one sucks and the other rules so it's kinda obvious which one is the original even if you aren't familiar with the author (i wasn't actually, but he's clearly good at this whole poetry thing)

wait, am i taking the bait here or something?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

My upon upon does
outward the for floor
quietly stare
that poisoned mouses

still that person live
is asking to what
take myself do this
you are a wouldn’t take

out of the floor
quietly Stare
a poisoned mouse

still who alive
is asking What
have i done that
You wouldn’t have

There are absolutely differences. The first is a jumble of words, the second has some slightly out of date phrasing ruminating on the slow and painful death of a creature simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Is Gaius Marius tiggum?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
how do you feel about sunsets, gaius

doverhog
May 31, 2013

in this land some of us gently caress more than
we die but most of us die
better than we gently caress

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't see how that "Poem" Is well written at all, It's like I'm reading the "I can't believe my mom stooped so low" story

yeah I eat rear end posted:

how do you feel about sunsets, gaius

They're fine, but Sunrise is much preferable

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A poem shouts and screams
Of mouse
and rat
and poisoned floor

The poems suck a dick
And chode
And balls
I don't read em anymore

This is called bideogames by me in 2021about poems which are the shittiest entertainment

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

My upon upon does
outward the for floor
quietly stare
that poisoned mouses

still that person live
is asking to what
take myself do this
you are a wouldn’t take

out of the floor
quietly Stare
a poisoned mouse

still who alive
is asking What
have i done that
You wouldn’t have

what in gods name are you talking about

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
phuo: "i don't get it" doesn't have to be followed by neither "therefore, it sucks" nor "people who do get it are obviously pretending to make themselves look good" or any permutations of thereof

like, it's fine to just Not Get Things - there's far too many Things in the world to Get them all. however, Not Getting Things might preclude from having meaningful opinions on or critiques of said Things, so one should tread carefully

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I am in New York City and folks, I don’t like it. I’d rather be at home (St. Paul)

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I am tired of seeing Giancarlo Esposito in everything as the same role.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Agreed. He’s got the chops, let him have a broad range of roles.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I almost feel bad for the dude. He kills the roll but I rolled my eyes so hard when he showed up playing gus fring on the boys. Hell the only good part of the get down was seeing him have a role that wasn't. Cold, competent

Gaius Marius has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Jun 12, 2021

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Same with Bob Odenkirk. I'm worried he's going to be typecast as sleazy characters until the heat death of the universe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I also like Better Call Saul, sad that this might be unpopular because it rules

Kim especially. Rhea Seehorn awards when??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Model work is far superior to CGI. Dunno if that's an unpopular opinion or not, but if you look at the models for something like Star Trek II, made almost 40 years ago, it holds up far better than CGI made even four years ago.

It's the nature of CGI that technology is always changing, so computer graphics are going to have a much shorter shelf life than really well done model work.