Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

If you start a series you are legally obligated to finish it, the whole thing no exceptions

*checks thread title*

Oh god no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kestral posted:

For the folks who've read Malazan, should I try to get back into it if I stopped during or just after Memories of Ice?

I've read Deadhouse Gates and The Bonehunters. I clearly remember quite a few characters and images (which is a great sign!) but didn't feel strongly compelled to keep going.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I read the whole mazalan series and it mostly made me pissed off that he took some good ideas and then either did nothing with them or explained them to death.

also goddamn I get it war is brutal why is there so much rape i do not need that amount of rape in my fictional reading

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Malazan is grimdark fantasy taken to excess and I respect that but I couldn't stomach it

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

Malazan is grimdark fantasy taken to excess and I respect that but I couldn't stomach it
It's weird, because I came away with the exact opposite opinion - it's fundamentally about the importance of compassion, and that anything dark in it is to show the contrast.

This thesis isn't immediately clear of course, but over time? Yeah.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm a Malazan fan myself, and I think House of Chains and Midnight Tides are among the higher points of the series, but yeah, if you're not enjoying it, don't force yourself further.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

It's weird, because I came away with the exact opposite opinion - it's fundamentally about the importance of compassion, and that anything dark in it is to show the contrast.

This thesis isn't immediately clear of course, but over time? Yeah.

It's hard to see that as a theme after the chain of dogs' ending and the scene where a man kills so many zealots a multi-story house is literally filled floor to ceiling with corpses.

Like I sound sarcastic but the series goes brutally dark and gore-y.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's hard to see that as a theme after the chain of dogs' ending and the scene where a man kills so many zealots a multi-story house is literally filled floor to ceiling with corpses.

Like I sound sarcastic but the series goes brutally dark and gore-y.
I mean that kind of stuff is there - but the basic thesis is also present. I don't want to turn this into the Malazan thread part two but the Tenescowri are all clearly presented as victims - as are frankly the MoI big bads in question. Their deeds aren't overlooked or whatever, but it's there. It's less fully realized, I think, by virtue of these being early books - but it's still a throughline.

Later in the series it becomes even more clear, as you learn more about the main antagonist, etc. Main characters like Fiddler, Tehol, and Trull Sengar are basically defined by it. And seriously fuckin Itkovian in MoI itself (and later).

Other themes imo are "civilization is good actually," "we have learned things over time and old poo poo is not better," "war mostly hurts the people who aren't responsible for it," and of course "explosions are cool."

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Anybody found any new (last three months) slice of life / cozy stuff?

The new Legends & Lattes was good, but I need more.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I should clarify here, it's not that I'm not enjoying it right now, it's that my last attempt at Malazan happened ~20 years ago, so I can't remember how I was feeling about the next couple books, and why I might have stopped indefinitely on a series that I should by all accounts enjoy, even though the next two or three books were out. I know I loved Gardens of the Moon, despite it being apparently the weakest in the series, and I flipped through my copy of Deadhouse and the prose seems perfectly acceptable. But it does seem from the reactions here that Malazan may have a common falling-off point, and that might be what did it for me. Hmm, I'm going to have to think about this one.

General Battuta posted:

I've read Deadhouse Gates and The Bonehunters. I clearly remember quite a few characters and images (which is a great sign!) but didn't feel strongly compelled to keep going.

Wait, aren't there three whole books and over 2,000 pages worth of Malazan between Deadhouse Gates and Bonehunters? :psyduck:

Unrelated, I got back into Saga of Pliocene Exile and boy, whoever said the second book was basically the first book but much crazier was dead on. I think I'm actually more on board with it now that it's gone full science-fantasy, which is my favorite genre, so I'm more willing to overlook the goofy dialogue. "Friggerty" is not a good substitute for "gently caress," Julian May! It may be a struggle to get through Nonborn King because I'm sure King Ludonn Aiken Drum :wtc: is going to be infuriating, but the inevitability of glorious comeuppance will see me through.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kestral, I am probably the wrong person to say this as my reading list is basically this right now:

(I am very very anxious about some IRL stuff and I am coping by adding more books to the pile) (e: I'm rereading some comfort food and reading some new stuff and while it's inconvenient to lug a giant stack between my reading spots, it's weirdly soothing)

but I'm firmly in the camp of "if you have an impulse to read something, do it". If you want to read Malazan, give it a go! Something about it is clearly calling to you enough to make you post about it, why not reread Gardens of the Moon? I too enjoyed that book - honestly more than the others in some ways.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kestral posted:

Wait, aren't there three whole books and over 2,000 pages worth of Malazan between Deadhouse Gates and Bonehunters? :psyduck:

Probably, but I didn't have much trouble following what had happened between — or at least it didn't seem like there were an out of the ordinary number of random things going on.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tokenbrownguy posted:

Did you read the goblin emperor sequels (Witness for the Dead and The Grief of Stones)? They’re not quite cozy, but I thought they were quiet and enjoyable. Wikipedia calls them “fantasy of manners”.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Kestral posted:

Unrelated, I got back into Saga of Pliocene Exile and boy, whoever said the second book was basically the first book but much crazier was dead on. I think I'm actually more on board with it now that it's gone full science-fantasy, which is my favorite genre, so I'm more willing to overlook the goofy dialogue. "Friggerty" is not a good substitute for "gently caress," Julian May! It may be a struggle to get through Nonborn King because I'm sure King Ludonn Aiken Drum :wtc: is going to be infuriating, but the inevitability of glorious comeuppance will see me through.

i just love all her characters, they're so individually distinct with their own voice even for the bit parts who get murdered shortly afterwards, and she makes it look effortless.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

High five fellow Sagara-reader! I spent the summer rereading Heyer (and found much oog) then read the one that just came out and am rereading the series. Absolute comfort food for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

xiw posted:

i just love all her characters, they're so individually distinct with their own voice even for the bit parts who get murdered shortly afterwards, and she makes it look effortless.

It's just so fuckin gonzo, it's great. A bunch of capital p problematic bits, fair warning, but the whole thing just nails mythic ultra epic sweep while also being really tightly grounded in character.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser Volume One: Swords and Deviltry, Swords Against Death, and Swords in the Mist by Fritz Leiber - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741VJC4D/

The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser Volume Two: Swords Against Wizardry, The Swords of Lankhmar, and Swords and Ice Magic by Fritz Leiber - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8WP9LR/

The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B3S9TLS/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you love swords & sorcery, you must read Leiber. You'll have fun, and you will also see the origins of a lot of things that become standard in the genre.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
As always the advice for the first volume in these, Swords and Deviltry, is to either skip it entirely or just read "Ill Met in Lankhmar" on your first go around. It's prequel lore bullshit written much later than the stuff everyone loves.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you love swords & sorcery, you must read Leiber. You'll have fun, and you will also see the origins of a lot of things that become standard in the genre.

Seconded. I also highly recommend Mike Mignola's faithful comic adaptation of some of the early stories, including Ill Met in Lankhmar. His style works perfectly for the material, and I think the art is up there with the best of his Hellboy/BPRD work.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

This book is so deliciously bleak. It's just loaded with amazing set pieces, even more so than Consider Phlebas.

There's a reference to a lazy gun in one of the Culture novels, so it's the same setting, but nobody wants to make the trip out to visit them. A worse deal than we got.

Oh woah, which book is this in? Also this reminds me that I have Against a Dark Background on my shelf and need to reread it, love that book.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Did you read the goblin emperor sequels (Witness for the Dead and The Grief of Stones)? They’re not quite cozy, but I thought they were quiet and enjoyable. Wikipedia calls them “fantasy of manners”.

I was pretty lukewarm on the goblin emperor but loved those other two, an impoverished priest, given a job because they're a distant imperial relative speaks to the dead and helps solve mysteries, while struggling with connection to the living.

It's slow paced, fairly low stakes mystery but I would recommend them to anyone.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

occluded posted:

Oh woah, which book is this in? Also this reminds me that I have Against a Dark Background on my shelf and need to reread it, love that book.

It gets written off for exactly the reasons I love it, it's a mcguffin driven adventure story based around incredible set pieces. The monastery with the chain tracks being a particular favourite of mine.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Kestral posted:

I should clarify here, it's not that I'm not enjoying it right now, it's that my last attempt at Malazan happened ~20 years ago, so I can't remember how I was feeling about the next couple books, and why I might have stopped indefinitely on a series that I should by all accounts enjoy, even though the next two or three books were out. I know I loved Gardens of the Moon, despite it being apparently the weakest in the series, and I flipped through my copy of Deadhouse and the prose seems perfectly acceptable. But it does seem from the reactions here that Malazan may have a common falling-off point, and that might be what did it for me. Hmm, I'm going to have to think about this one.

Iirc many people got off the Malazan wagon because…Midnight tides? Shifted the location and central characters for the book just as everyone was all hype about Karsa and everything else going on there. I think that kind of happens a few times and he does like to pull the “you thought these guys where the good guys and these guys bad guys huh?? Well it’s not that simple!” Thing. Oh and everyone’s power levels are always absurd

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Levitate posted:

Iirc many people got off the Malazan wagon because…Midnight tides? Shifted the location and central characters for the book just as everyone was all hype about Karsa and everything else going on there. I think that kind of happens a few times and he does like to pull the “you thought these guys where the good guys and these guys bad guys huh?? Well it’s not that simple!” Thing. Oh and everyone’s power levels are always absurd

One thing that gets glosses over with Malazan is how structurally *weird* it can be. As you say, it jumps around all over the world, but even some of the individual books can be weird. Like Midnight Tides is one half grim Shakespearean tragedy, one half sex-farce. Toll the Hounds is 90% brooding meditations on grief, 10% over the top anime showdown.

I don't think MT quite nails the contrast, but I like that he tried. And the grim tragedy half is really loving good.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

tokenbrownguy posted:

To Shape a Dragon's Breath ends up being moderately cozy, although not slice of life.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Levitate posted:

Well, not everyone. That's one of the things I enjoy about Malazan -- the cast includes both world-shaking demigods and ordinary grunts, and Erikson gives equal attention to both ends of the spectrum.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've mentioned this before but I tried to read malazan over my honeymoon because we went to New Zealand for the hobbits and had a lot of long plane flights.

I got eight books in before I gave up. I get why people read it but for me it was just this incredibly painful combination of "my anime character can beat up your anime character" and "time for a thousand page loredump."

So I edited a gratuitous apostrophe into the Malazan thread title and nobody even noticed for years

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I got eight books in before I gave up. I get why people read it but for me it was just this incredibly painful combination of "my anime character can beat up your anime character" and "time for a thousand page loredump."

Same. The fans are passionate and the themes do sound fun (if maybe a bit well worn tbh) but this was the reality of it for me: big ageless anime characters slamming into other anime characters over and over, all with different if ultimately shallow combinations of MtG colours of magic and magical realms. Erikson’s anthropologist/archaeologist background didn’t shine through for me either because it was hard to get any real feel for deep time when there all these ultra dudes crashing around the place.

On a prose and general thoughtfulness level Erikson’s infinitely better than Sanderson but I got a similar impression that the settings were built for video games, so when I learned that Malazan literally was designed as an RPG backdrop, I was unsurprised.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

So I edited a gratuitous apostrophe into the Malazan thread title and nobody even noticed for years
I noticed and loved it!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

occluded posted:

Sorry, I do not remember which Culture book that was in.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I read Gardens of the Moon three times before I felt like I had 'got into it', then read Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice and gave up. I don't really know why, because I love fantasy, but somehow I just bounced off it again.

I did appreciate the archeology / anthropology nature of the T'lann and Jahgut etc. But bounced off the stuff in Memories of Ice with the two time travelling guys? did I recall that right. Icariun? I can't remember his deal. .

I introduced my friend to it around the same time and he has read the entire series twice, he's just starting again.

It's a bit of a marmite series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GhastlyBizness posted:

Same. The fans are passionate and the themes do sound fun (if maybe a bit well worn tbh) but this was the reality of it for me: big ageless anime characters slamming into other anime characters over and over, all with different if ultimately shallow combinations of MtG colours of magic and magical realms. Erikson’s anthropologist/archaeologist background didn’t shine through for me either because it was hard to get any real feel for deep time when there all these ultra dudes crashing around the place.

Thing is, if it were just ultra dudes crashing around the place: ok, cool, I'll read that. If it were just loredumps, hell, I've spent a slow week at work reading the Warhammer wiki. It was just something about how all those elements clashed . Why does the lore matter if it's just ultradudes? If I'm here for ultradudes, why are we spending all this time on geology lessons?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

I've mentioned this before but I tried to read malazan over my honeymoon because we went to New Zealand for the hobbits and had a lot of long plane flights.

What gets me (even though I liked the series) is how often you'd have some character go "oh my god his power levels are out of this world!" and then a book or three that later that same character is all "you thought that guy was powerful hah I am actually just as or more powerful"

Then again maybe it's faulty memory on my end and that didn't happen as often as I thought. IIRC he did have an interesting thing with how these powerful gods and beings tended to spiral to conflict in a power attracts power kind of way.

Thing is, if it were just ultra dudes crashing around the place: ok, cool, I'll read that. If it were just loredumps, hell, I've spent a slow week at work reading the Warhammer wiki. It was just something about how all those elements clashed . Why does the lore matter if it's just ultradudes? If I'm here for ultradudes, why are we spending all this time on geology lessons?

I dunno, I do think he ties it all together in a lot of ways but when you're waiting for it to tie together over 100,000 pages then it's certainly easy to get to the not caring anymore phase.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There is kind of a recurring theme in Malazan where people are all terrified of an ancient and legendary power, only to find out it's barely a threat now because they've learned a lot of new tricks in the past few thousand years.

I like that for its inversion of the classic fantasy theosophy-lite idea of an idealized magical past and lost secrets of power. (And I think this is showing off his archeology background, here.) Gods and dragons get blown up by explosives and defeated by mortals who learned to magic better.

Like, in one of the books an ancient evil gets woken up and then proceeds to get absolutely punked by everything it comes across. It's hilarious to me. But if you aren't expecting the inversion, it can come across as weird.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For slice of life cozy fantasy, I enjoyed "Cozy isekai craftsman". Basically this guy gets visited by a god of another world who offers him good health and a spot in their world, and he just had to live there. No major league fantasy land slogs across the continent, just stuff in town. Blaise Corvin is the author. Think there's 2 books out now, on KU.

Cursed Cocktails/sword and thistle were both pretty good. Guy leaves the army and decides to open a bar. S.L. Rowland is the author. KU as well, and the books are same universe/city/fantasy world but different protags.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

dwarf74 posted:

Like, in one of the books an ancient evil gets woken up and then proceeds to get absolutely punked by everything it comes across. It's hilarious to me. But if you aren't expecting the inversion, it can come across as weird.

Ooh, big scary monster from the ancient world, destroyed entire civilizations, woken up and is hungry, hm? Here, chew on this, we call it a "cusser".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Strom Cuzewon posted:

One thing that gets glosses over with Malazan is how structurally *weird* it can be. As you say, it jumps around all over the world, but even some of the individual books can be weird. Like Midnight Tides is one half grim Shakespearean tragedy, one half sex-farce. Toll the Hounds is 90% brooding meditations on grief, 10% over the top anime showdown.

I don't think MT quite nails the contrast, but I like that he tried. And the grim tragedy half is really loving good.

The sex farce stuff is really bad, the vaguely wodehousian drawing room comedy is surprisingly good. Then entrails start spilling over everything. Such a weird series.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sebmojo posted:

The sex farce stuff is really bad, the vaguely wodehousian drawing room comedy is surprisingly good. Then entrails start spilling over everything. Such a weird series.

You know, that's the only description that's ever tempted me to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I would recommend everyone to read a bit, it's not quite like anything else, but it's a combination of extremely bad and extremely good so it is not an uncomplicated recommend as a whole.