Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I was gonna say, the only issues I have with McDonalds is how long it takes when you order a delivery (which I know is only partly the restaurant's fault) and that the order is almost always wrong (missing sauce, wrong drinks, entire items not there). I don't order McDonalds for high quality burgers, I order it because it's cheap garbage that my body sometimes demands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
How much poo poo do you think Wendy’s staff are gonna cop over the whole surge pricing thing that just got announced?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tons, because lovely customers love to treat staff like dirt over stuff that isn't their fault.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the WHAT pricing? like surcharges for food during busy times?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's not like that, it's exactly that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yes. It’s been in the news the past couple
days; we’ve even been hearing about it here in Aus and we don’t even have Wendy’s. Supposedly they plan on having digital price boards in store that dynamically change during the course of the day depending on demand.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I hope the increased prices lower the demand :twisted:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

wizard2 posted:

I hope the increased prices lower the demand :twisted:

As someone who's seen fast food prices skyrocket in the last few years while stores have gotten busier and busier, they will not. People will grumble about it and maybe rage at someone making less per hour than their meal costs about it but they will pay the money. A lot of places already do this through the various delivery apps, where ordering for delivery in the evening is more expensive than the afternoon even on top of the jacked up prices they already charge on those apps.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's not even like this is a new idea, when I was a student two decades ago there were bar nights where they had a big stock price board with all the drinks on it and the more a drink got ordered the more expensive it got, and the stuff no one wanted got cheaper. So you'd end up late in the evening drinking absolute garbage because it was cheap, and maybe sometimes you'd find a new drink that you liked despite everyone else thinking it was repellent.

Of course any restaurant doing this will not reduce the prices of poo poo that's nto getting ordered, it'll all be on a ratchet so the price only ever goes up.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

njsykora posted:

As someone who's seen fast food prices skyrocket in the last few years while stores have gotten busier and busier, they will not. People will grumble about it and maybe rage at someone making less per hour than their meal costs about it but they will pay the money. A lot of places already do this through the various delivery apps, where ordering for delivery in the evening is more expensive than the afternoon even on top of the jacked up prices they already charge on those apps.

To be fair, everyone jacks up their prices on the app because the apps take like 20% off the top. That’s literally the margin.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ah so of course prices will go down during slow periods, right? Right? No? Only ever to the already inflated current price, then stealing extra money during rushes?

I'd like to thank the self destructive greed of capitalism for helping me keep my diet clean and home cooked.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

Ah so of course prices will go down during slow periods, right? Right? No? Only ever to the already inflated current price, then stealing extra money during rushes?

I'd like to thank the self destructive greed of capitalism for helping me keep my diet clean and home cooked.

Do you grow your own food? Because I've got some bad news for you otherwise. Seriously. How is everything so freaking expensive?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

njsykora posted:

There's a McDonald's and a Five Guys sharing a parking lot near where I work, and every time I drive past the Five Guys is almost empty and the McDonald's has a drive thru line winding around the building. The power of Brand Recognition astounds me. Like 5G isn't super gourmet or anything but for like $14 instead of $10 you're getting a vastly better burger and vastly better fries, and your order will be right practically 100% of the time no matter how specific you make it, and somehow it's no slower than McDonald's even though 5G doesn't begin cooking your burger until you order it.

Years ago it was a bit more understandable when 5G cost twice what McDonald's did, but McDonald's has closed that gap a lot. And they still line up for it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Grocery stores aren't doing this crap yet and at least they have predictable sales cycles. Fast food has shamelessly become as expensive as going to a nice sit down restaurant. I've cut it out almost entirely save for a craving for specific nostalgic grease about once every month or two.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's a McDonald's and a Five Guys sharing a parking lot near where I work, and every time I drive past the Five Guys is almost empty and the McDonald's has a drive thru line winding around the building.

Oh yeah we have a Burger King directly opposite our store and that place is completely loving empty 90% of the time. I don't think there's ever been more than 3 customers in there any time I've been in.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Grocery stores aren't doing this crap yet and at least they have predictable sales cycles. Fast food has shamelessly become as expensive as going to a nice sit down restaurant.

And not even very much faster.

(Quibbles: If by 'nice' you mean 'a cut above Applebee's' then not really, you'll feed two people for ~$25 at McDonald's versus ~$45-50 at the decent restaurant (don't forget the tip, lol like anyone would tip a McDonald's slave).)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's a McDonald's and a Five Guys sharing a parking lot near where I work, and every time I drive past the Five Guys is almost empty and the McDonald's has a drive thru line winding around the building. The power of Brand Recognition astounds me. Like 5G isn't super gourmet or anything but for like $14 instead of $10 you're getting a vastly better burger and vastly better fries, and your order will be right practically 100% of the time no matter how specific you make it, and somehow it's no slower than McDonald's even though 5G doesn't begin cooking your burger until you order it.

Years ago it was a bit more understandable when 5G cost twice what McDonald's did, but McDonald's has closed that gap a lot. And they still line up for it.

We got 5G last week and I felt bad about it after a minimal order for a family with kids (3 small burgers, 1 normal fries, no drinks) ran $39. Can’t imagine how I’d feel if McDonald’s is running close to those prices now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

We got 5G last week and I felt bad about it after a minimal order for a family with kids (3 small burgers, 1 normal fries, no drinks) ran $39. Can’t imagine how I’d feel if McDonald’s is running close to those prices now.

True. But a 5G "small burger" is bigger and better than a quarter pounder and their normal fry is at least equivelent to a McD's large--what do 3 big macs and a large fry cost? Probably about $30.

I mean if you're ordering fast food often enough that that $9 difference adds up fast, that might be a separate issue.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Glad the Wendy's in town isn't hiring cause I'd loving hate to deal with that. But it is also my favorite place to get a burger at and now I don't want to go over there if arbitrarily my order is 15% more expensive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also in my time at my last job I can say people absolutely use fast food as a replacement for cooking at home and I've had someone unironically say "Its cheaper if I make it at home" once.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

LMAO Wendy’s is already backtracking after people were calling for boycotts and poo poo. They just released a ‘clarification’ to say that people misunderstood them and they just wanted to make stuff cheaper in off peak times to encourage more customers. I’m sure that’s what they were planning.

I also read an article that in Alabama prisons have started supplying prison labor to fast food restaurants; so now we’ve got companies employing literal slave labor.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
To be fair to Wendy's, I don't really see how what they're proposing is any different from the lunch special at my local chinese place. It's actually not the worst idea to try to drive traffic during off hours, because it justifies the fixed labor necessary to keep the place operating.

Have they totally hosed the PR? Yup.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

They tech bro'd the happy hour. The dinkytown McDonalds in MN used to pull a pricing change after a certain point from what I remember.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
What should you do when a coworker simply will not stop shouting about substances? No equipment was involved. I simply told him to stfu until he eventually did... 2 hours later. 😡

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Got a weird question for Alky. I work for a company that is involved with vending machines. We also do “micro markets”, where the idea is that people take food from a cooler, scan it on a machine, and then pay for it. It’s on the honor system, although it is recorded. I was in a meeting with the owner, and he mentioned that Amazon warehouses, and only Amazon warehouses, had a 40% theft rate. Why do you think that is? Do people not care because there’s such high turnover it’s not worth the hassle of firing someone?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Domus posted:

Got a weird question for Alky. I work for a company that is involved with vending machines. We also do “micro markets”, where the idea is that people take food from a cooler, scan it on a machine, and then pay for it. It’s on the honor system, although it is recorded. I was in a meeting with the owner, and he mentioned that Amazon warehouses, and only Amazon warehouses, had a 40% theft rate. Why do you think that is? Do people not care because there’s such high turnover it’s not worth the hassle of firing someone?

I think a large part of it is that when your employer is extremely vicious and clearly does not give a poo poo about you, it's a lot easier to develop absolutely zero employer loyalty and seek to cash out as much as possible, i.e. by stealing from your employer. Rules and laws are only as enforceable as people's willingness to be enforced or assist in enforcement. If no one gives a poo poo about Amazon as their employer, even if they don't steal themselves, they're not going to say a peep when they see Jimmy lifting a stack of PS5's into his car, because that's not their problem and gently caress the man.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Domus posted:

You work for Avenue C?

As Purple says, people at Amazon warehouse just are often burnt out. Also, at least in my local area, a lot are literal college students: kids in all but name who have no idea how the world works so they think they can get away with it. So you end up with a mixture of exhaustion, apathy, spite against a bullshit system, and people who think they're beating the system. As you said it's monitored and Amazon sees repeated theft from the break room as bad as theft of our own product, so Loss Prevention will fire a breakroom thief almost as fast as they'd fire a thief in the warehouse. But also as Purple said, no one's gonna really call someone out if they see them stealing. For one: if you see people stealing food, no you didn't. For another: if that person wants to take the risk of stealing from Amazon's break room that's on their head. No one's gonna stick their neck out.

Also likely depends on the type of warehouse. I started and spent most of my career here in a Fulfillment Centers. Those are absolutely hellish and they treat everyone like dirt. Gotta walk through a metal detector on the way out to make sure you're not stealing stuff. Meanwhile I've also visited and spent time at both a Sort Center and AMXL center. Sort Centers take the output of other warehouses in the area and sort them to be shipped to customers: super chill and the standard shift is 2x 4 hour days with lots of options to pick up more, so mainly students and retirees. AMXL are where the large items are and everything is done via some sort of forklift, which are expensive and you can't just tell a forklift to get back to work so, again, relaxed because damage to equipment or trained operators from rushing actually costs Amazon money. I imagine the people working at those two facilities are far less stressed and less likely to steal out of frustration and spite.

And it's super easy for Amazon to fire people, especially white badge "temporary" workers. It's really the turnover that encourages it. As said, a lot of people have this as their first job and also simply do not work here long enough to figure out that Amazon is always watching. Also their first interaction with HR and Loss Prevention over theft is almost always their last so they come in, steal, get fired and are replaced by the next college kid who doesn't know any better. No real chance to learn a lesson.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
My job is suddenly all over beard nets because an auditor came in and gave them a hard time.

Guess what I’m doing tomorrow

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Coasterphreak posted:

To be fair to Wendy's, I don't really see how what they're proposing is any different from the lunch special at my local chinese place. It's actually not the worst idea to try to drive traffic during off hours, because it justifies the fixed labor necessary to keep the place operating.

Have they totally hosed the PR? Yup.

This has been done for decades is fast food, "before 5pm" "after 10pm" for special meal deals or item prices.

Wendy's CEO was 100% drinking the tech consultant kool-aid and saw something the company could do to brag about and get investors excited. Stock ticker doesn't move for things like the 4 5 6 7$ Biggie Bag meal but you suddenly talk about dynamic pricing and everyone perks up.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Ugggggghhhhh.

To explain a little more coherently (and vent a bit): a few weeks ago, we had a guy come to the thrift store I work at and give us tips for "better productivity and efficiency." I'm sure you could all feel the eye-rolling involved in typing those words. He apparently does this for multiple stores that the charity runs around the country, and is/was the manager of a store in Arizona (side note: I ultimately work for a group of Catholics called "The Council" which is both sinister and badass at the same time - "Sorry, The Council has decreed that we cannot accept any more end tables at this time").

There are many problems arising from his visit. He was there for a single slow Tuesday and decided that our store should run exactly like all of the other stores he's been to, history be damned. He wants us to implement a barcode system for everything we sell (which would require a not-insignificant investment for all the equipment, plus training all the employees and volunteers). Our work force is about 80% volunteers, most of whom are retired old ladies who like chatting with their friends while they keep busy for a few hours each week, and very few of them are happy with the changes to make them work faster and "more efficiently." This jackass from Arizona expects us to double our intake and not get backed up. "Hire more people" is the obvious answer, but the local Council and the store manager are loving tightwads and don't want to hire any more people than absolutely necessary. Again, 80% volunteer workforce, which means a lot of "free labor," and they really like leaning on that. It's gonna bite them in the rear end when half the volunteers stop coming in because they're retired and don't want a "job" job. It's a social thing for most of those old ladies, and all I've been hearing when I go through their area are complaints about the new system.

The store manager is ready to retire over all this poo poo, and I don't blame him. A volunteer asked him how he was doing this morning when he (the volunteer) got there, and the answer was just "Stressed."

Sorry, I just needed to get some of this off my chest to people who can likely empathize (and who I don't work with, because we've all heard and said everything to each other already). It's been almost a full year since I was fired from the health food store and got hired at the thrift store less than a week later, and the job has been pretty great most of the time. I like the people I work with, I barely have to deal with customers, and I get to listen to music/podcasts pretty much all day. My schedule is also changing to be Monday to Friday, with no more weekend shifts (I'm currently working every other Saturday and every other Wednesday; a benefit of working for a Catholic charity is that I know I'll never have to work on a Sunday). I'm not letting myself celebrate that just yet though - not until it actually goes into effect, and the manager doesn't change his mind after a month (if he's even still there).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 5, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Fifty Farts posted:

Ugggggghhhhh.

You have been visited by the spirit of MBA Brain.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, and it's frustrating. Dealing with it isn't my job though, so I'm trying not to let it get to me too much, and instead hoping that my new schedule is real so I can play Dragon's Dogma 2 for the entire weekend in a few weeks. :)

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Number go up (especially employee turnover rate

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

The unholy spirit; if you will. Refer to council procedures for the conducting of exorcisms.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Today in "Dumbass Third Party Driver Moments":

Yup. That driver sure did drive off the lot with the doors of his trailer open. Hope they noticed before he got to the highway about 2 blocks away since the primary securement for truck trailer doors to hold them open is usually pretty laughable and just barely enough to keep them secure when putting the trailer on or off a dock door. Doubly so for Intermodal trailers (the big heavy boxes that can be shifted between train and trucks) they drove off with where it's usually a ring on a gently curved piece of metal that one might generously call a "hook".

To be fair it shouldn't have been left in the parking spot with the doors open for the idjit to just hook up and go but it's kind of hard to miss the doors being open if you even quarter rear end the inspection.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Can you stay late? How late? Why can't you stay later?

Got a last minute order that would have put me, at best, an hour past my off time. But I decided to help out, and do it. But the idiots loving input the wrong dimensions, items wouldn't fit. So another driver had to come anyway.

Heading back to base and Bing, new order! Okay, it's a bit out of the way but all highway, I'll do it. Five minutes later, another Bing, another order, that is not highway and is in fact through difficult areas and BOTH orders have a delivery window from 3-7pm.

All of the drivers are off the road by 4.

Dispatch asks me to do them. I can't reply if I am driving, so I go to first order and pick it up, and then tell dispatch I'll do order 1. Can't get 2. Deal.

Fighting traffic to get back to the highway, my boss calls me. I speakerphone his rear end, and he asks where I am, mishears, and I have to clarify where (at this time of day he should be in his office watching our GPS maps. In fact he is likely at home and doesn't have the software there.) and he asks why I can't do the second order. Why. is it because it would make me late? Is it? Can't I do it? I can do it, right? Of course I can.

Explaining that no, I cannot fight through traffic to backtrack and get back to where I am by the highway (which is easily 20 mins from the second pickup) keeps going around to "can't I get it? Why can't I get it? It'll make everyone late too, not just you."

He finally hangs up. He finds another driver to stay late to do it...with the promise that he can leave early tomorrow.

This poo poo is why you never take late work. Because just the tip is never enough. One more order, well this one is about the same area, and this one just got put in, and you're already gonna be out so take this one too?

Doesn't help that after 2/3pm, our GPS software goes crap for ETA times and just throws out a minimum time. So a 30 mile trip should be about 10 minutes, and a 15 one 3 minutes! A drive that takes you on average 40 minutes will be 12.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Never stay late, because it will become the expectation.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Coasterphreak posted:

Previous manager was all about that. And the threats of "well I don't need your permission to alter your schedule" because corporate would let her push you ahead an hour, so a 8-4 would become 9-5 and eventually a 1-9 if she felt like it, and she wouldn't need to ask you, just tell you to come in an hour later until she got you where she wanted. This despite the fact we had set hours and end times.

I'd stay sometimes 90 minutes to 2 hours past my end time, and had the threat above dangling over me for years. Apparently she tried that on another employee, who called HR and got poo poo settled. She was smarter with me and lied outright, and since I never crossed paths with the other employee, it worked out to her favor.

My first delivery manager was a decent dude. He was professional but friendly, looked a bit like Bob Parr from The Incredibles. Yeah he hosed me over with not giving me a transfer when I was up for one, but otherwise he was a fair guy. When he asked you to stay late, at least his gratitude seemed real. Check-ride audits with him were always good, and he always bought lunch, and it was nice chatting while I drove. Current boss? I talk to as little as possible. Part of it is me still wearing a mask, the rest is I really don't give two shits about him.

Plus he made reference to people driving like R slurs so there's that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Coasterphreak posted:

"I don't bail out the schedule" has always been my go-to line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I will say, I’ll stay late on occasion if I’m working on something I just want to be finished before I leave, but past my scheduled time I don’t loving exist in the building as far as everyone else is concerned.

They’re actually pretty respectful of that.