Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'll admit I'm neither a physicist or an expert on wireless charging, but I feel like it would be very impractical and/or dangerous with current technology to beam enough power through the air to charge a laptop from 6 feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Eletriarnation posted:

I'll admit I'm neither a physicist or an expert on wireless charging, but I feel like it would be very impractical and/or dangerous with current technology to beam enough power through the air to charge a laptop from 6 feet away.

It'd probably fry your balls

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Eletriarnation posted:

It's impractical for sure. The distance from the charger to a device defines the radius of a sphere centered on the charger. Assuming the charger emits power omnidirectionally, the ratio between that sphere's area and the device's area is the percentage of the radiated power the device can possibly use given a 100% efficient antenna the size of the entire device. This is before accounting for any kind of attenuation due to distance.

You can do better with beam forming and targeting, but now you're really complicating things, and for what? Wireless charging at a distance isn't that compelling. Most users are better off with the weight a big power antenna would need spent on more battery instead. Once you can get a full day of use from a charge, who gives a poo poo if it has to be plugged in to charge overnight.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MacBooks should be powered by radioactive decay really

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Apple once again takes a feature from Samsung and improves it but this time instead of the exploding battery killing you it's the laptop charging energy directed straight into your head blowing up your brainbox

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Apple once again takes a feature from Samsung and improves it but this time instead of the exploding battery killing you it's the laptop charging energy directed straight into your head blowing up your brainbox

You're holding it wrong.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why the gently caress didn't apple put USB-C in the iPhone 7, what were they thinking

they will when an iPhone can drive a 5K tb3 monitor

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

BobHoward posted:

You can do better with beam forming and targeting, but now you're really complicating things, and for what?

Honestly I think if we could channel the beam along a fixed path using a low resistance beam conductor and encase that in a protective coating, we could really go places with this charging technology.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If Apple comes out with any wireless charging that has a range of more than 3 inches the weird people who think wifi is giving them chronic health problems are going to go ballistic

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why the gently caress didn't apple put USB-C in the iPhone 7, what were they thinking

jawbroken posted:

USB-C is too fat.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Lightning is what the USB c connector should have been but I doubt Apple wanted to make it that obvious where usb-c came from

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

8ender posted:

If Apple comes out with any wireless charging that has a range of more than 3 inches the weird people who think wifi is giving them chronic health problems are going to go ballistic
Nah, they already go ballistic because there's exposed power transmission lines within 10 miles of their house.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Nah, they already go ballistic because there's exposed power transmission lines within 10 miles of their house.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/wireless/11099-massive-revelation-in-iburst-tower-battle.html

quote:

In an email one Craigavon Task Force member, Tracey-Lee Dorny, describes the affected community’s symptoms: “several rash cases were presented in person and by photos from people who could not attend [a meeting with iBurst]. Headaches, nausea, tinnitus, dry burning itchy skins, gastric imbalances and totally disrupted sleep patterns, especially with some of the children, were some of the issues presented by the residents.”

Dorny told The Star that she and her son are spending alternate nights at her mother’s house to get some relief. “When I’m off the property, the symptoms subside,” she said.

quote:

At the meeting Van Zyl agreed to turn off the tower with immediate effect to assess whether the health problems described by some of the residents subsided. What Craigavon residents were unaware of is that the tower had already been switched off in early October – six weeks before the November meeting where residents confirmed the continued ailments they experienced.

quote:

“At the meeting in mid-November residents claimed that full recovery of skin conditions could take as long as 6 weeks. Yet, the tower was switched off for more than 6 weeks by this time,” said Van Zyl. “At this point it became apparent that the tower can, in no way, be the cause of the symptoms, as it was already switched off for many weeks, yet the residents still saw symptoms that come and go according to their proximity to the area.”

Van Zyl added that “whatever caused their symptoms, it was now a fact that it could not be attributed to the iBurst tower and the tower was switched back on in the 2nd week of December.”

They still ended up taking it down IIRC.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
AirPods are really hard to find in 4 inches of fluffy snow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eddiewalker posted:

AirPods are really hard to find in 4 inches of fluffy snow.

BRB, patenting an app that uses the strength of the wireless signal and the phone's location in space to find wireless ear buds.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rene Ritchie of iMore lost his in the snow during testing. He was able to just crank up the volume from his iPhone and listen for them

http://www.imore.com/how-find-your-airpods-snow-seriously

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
They should put in some tiny LEDs that flash and play some white noise sirens when "lost" mode is activated.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another feature of lost mode: a pop up that appears after 5 minutes saying another pair has been ordered and charged to your card. There is only an 'OK' button.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I ended up getting another iMac, but the left side of the display looks like it's leaking light. It's relatively thin (1/4"), and I've covered it up with the dock for now. Any idea what is going on with the display here?

http://imgur.com/a/U3IoQ

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

nitsuga posted:

I ended up getting another iMac, but the left side of the display looks like it's leaking light. It's relatively thin (1/4"), and I've covered it up with the dock for now. Any idea what is going on with the display here?

http://imgur.com/a/U3IoQ

the glass has detached slightly from the underlying LCD panel. usually happens because of slight mechanical damage to the screen enclosure. ask for a replacement or repair

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hmm.. this is a 2011, so the glass is already separate, or is there yet another layer of glass? Then is the fear it will continue to separate?

And on that note, any recommendations for where to buy a used Mac? (I do know about MacSales, MacOfAllTrades, PowerMax, and GainSaver--which after my luck with eBay I am considering the premium)

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 6, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

nitsuga posted:

Hmm.. this is a 2011, so the glass is already separate, or is there yet another layer of glass? Then is the fear it will continue to separate?

And on that note, any recommendations for where to buy a used Mac? (I do know about MacSales, MacOfAllTrades, PowerMax, and GainSaver--which after my luck with eBay I am considering the premium)

There's also dvwarehouse, which I've heard decent things about.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

BRB, patenting an app that uses the strength of the wireless signal and the phone's location in space to find wireless ear buds.
Too late

http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/06/finder-for-airpods-app/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What are the odds that this is just a sham app?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

japtor posted:

DIVINING ROD, but for your airpods.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

There's nothing that's a sham about outputting the BT signal strength on screen in an effort to help people find AirPods. Whether the other environmental factors and the noise level of the signal necessitates some more DSP methodologies by applied before it's somewhat useful as an AirPod finder -- I have no idea but I assume so.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

One of the commenters in that article made a good point. This would have been trivial for Apple to offer as part of the AirPods app. Could easily explain that it just detects proximity. Seems way better than offering users a $69 replacement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's gone. The developer said that Apple removed it and said "...they called me to say that the App Review board doesn't like the concept of the app and deemed it not appropriate for the App Store. They have their own reasons why, but probably wont release it to the public."

https://np.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/5mhrqh/psa_finder_for_airpods_has_been_removed_from_the/dc3qbgf/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

It's gone. The developer said that Apple removed it and said "...they called me to say that the App Review board doesn't like the concept of the app and deemed it not appropriate for the App Store. They have their own reasons why, but probably wont release it to the public."

https://np.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/5mhrqh/psa_finder_for_airpods_has_been_removed_from_the/dc3qbgf/

Apple's probably planning to add it in iOS 11 or something. They have to keep some new features in reserve so each new OS iteration seems bigger and more exciting.

I wonder if they could hook it into Find my iPhone like they've done with the Apple Watch.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm going to upgrade my Mini's hard drive to SSD tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed here. Running a final time machine backup.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

flosofl posted:

All the app does is blast a loud noise out of your AirPods so you can find them, they probably don't want people blowing out their headphones.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chortle posted:

All the app does is blast a loud noise out of your AirPods so you can find them, they probably don't want people blowing out their headphones.

I don't know what app you're thinking of, but it's not the one we're discussing.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What app then cause That's what I thought too

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rear end Catchcum posted:

What app then cause That's what I thought too

The one linked above.

http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/06/finder-for-airpods-app/

It's a "hot/cold" app using the BT signal strength.

Read the loving Article Next Time posted:

iOS developer Deucks has made an effort to alleviate some of that worry for owners with a new app called "Finder for AirPods," which measures Bluetooth signal strength from a lost AirPod to guide the user in a hot-or-cold guidance system.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I can't restore my Time Machine backup onto this WD hard disk I got installed. It's partitioned and verified properly with no problems but once it begins to restore I get a "an error occurred when adding a recovery system to the destination disk."

Just to recap I pulled the HDD out and replaced it with a SSD, did an Internet recovery boot, and tried to restore from time capsule. I am trying to load Moubtain Lion and then pull data from the Time capsule.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 8, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Install the OS, then use Migration Assistant?

There are probably subtle differences between this and a direct restore, but I can’t list them offhand.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am giving that a shot right now.

Ok it just rebooted and is on the "Install OS X" screen.

It just rebooted again. Uh you know how if you're hyperventilating you're supposed to breathe in and out of a paper bag? If you don't have paper will a plastic bag work the same?

Dammit MacOS! I hate it when you just blank the screen, wait for about three minutes, then reboot! At least Windows sort-of lets you know what's going on!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 8, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Update: There was some wailing and gnashing of teeth but I got the new hard disk in, OS up to Sierra, it looks like all my files are there. Ran trimforce to enable TRIM with no issues. (Things moved significantly faster with trim!) Took about four hours including the hardware work. For some reason the SSD upgrade instructions tell you that you have to remove your logic board and power supply (which is really deep surgery) - but that's bullcrap for the 2012 Minis unless you want to add a second drive.

I haven't gotten the disk encrypted yet, but the boot time (power-button to useable, including negligible login time) has dropped down from about two minutes to about 30 seconds or less. It's overall much, much more responsive.

I wouldn't recommend doing this upgrade if you're a beginner or an only somewhat intermediate user - there were too many odd hiccups that I ran into.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 8, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Update: There was some wailing and gnashing of teeth but I got the new hard disk in, OS up to Sierra, it looks like all my files are there. Ran trimforce to enable TRIM with no issues. (Things moved significantly faster with trim!) Took about four hours including the hardware work. For some reason the SSD upgrade instructions tell you that you have to remove your logic board and power supply (which is really deep surgery) - but that's bullcrap for the 2012 Minis unless you want to add a second drive.

I haven't gotten the disk encrypted yet, but the boot time (power-button to useable, including negligible login time) has dropped down from about two minutes to about 30 seconds or less. It's overall much, much more responsive.

I wouldn't recommend doing this upgrade if you're a beginner or a more intermediate user - there were too many odd hiccups that I ran into.
Some 2012s came with the HDD in the "low" (top) mounting position FYI, such that to do a replacement meant following those instructions. The majority of 2012s and earlier had them in the easier position that doesn't require taking out the PSU/logic board/etc unless, as you said, a second drive is desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I took a screenshot of Activity Monitor before and after the disk swap - I went from a peak read/write of about 50MB/sec to about 150MB/sec... not too shabby for a little old Mac.

I don't get why tripling the disk speed results in the boot time decreasing by a couple times more than that, maybe there is a ton of highly random access in the boot sequence that slowed things down? (Not an apples-to-apples comparison, I mean.)

Also I just noticed that when it was doing the FileVault encryption the rate has jumped to over 400MB/sec written. :psyduck:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 8, 2017