Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the joke in GTA 3 with Two Faced Tanner. It's an overly hard mission that took me a few tries, eventually got it but it was hard won and I died just as Tanner did but still got credit. It is a cute jab at the Driver series though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the joke in GTA 3 with Two Faced Tanner. It's an overly hard mission that took me a few tries, eventually got it but it was hard won and I died just as Tanner did but still got credit. It is a cute jab at the Driver series though.

It's not that hard If you steal a truck and smash his car to pieces.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alhazred posted:

It's not that hard If you steal a truck and smash his car to pieces.

I used one of the big blockade vans at the Police station, then that set on fire so I grabbed another one, and in that time Tanner had got stuck at the docks and I'd flipped the second truck to reach him, so I just got out and frantically threw molotovs and grenades until he finally went down, while everyone was shooting at me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
kreia is a jerk and I enjoyed being good guy mcheropants through her bitching

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

kreia is a jerk and I enjoyed being good guy mcheropants through her bitching

Same but I enjoyed being the most psychotic villain possible while she griped at me to chill the gently caress out

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I need to give Pokemon Sword and Shield some serious props for some of its defensive Pokemon gameplay designs.

Not all Pokemon have had a clear role. Not many have had a clear intention in what exactly they're meant to do within the role they have. And a very small number of them have a clearly intended playstyle that's actually good and fun, and most of the ones that do are offensively-oriented. But this latest generation has thrown an impressive lineup of defensive Pokemon that are actually really fun, and practical to boot. It's really hard to design a fun playstyle that boils down to 'outlast your opponent', but gently caress, they get there.

My favorite is Cursola, the Ghost-type evolution of Corsola based on bleached, dead coral. It learns both the classic move Curse (when used by a Ghost, cuts their HP in half to deal 25% of the enemy's HP every turn), and the new move Strength Sap (steals HP equal to your enemy's Attack stat, then reduces their Attack), and I believe is the only one that can learn them both. Use that right and everything atrophies and dies slowly in front of you while your Pokemon keeps healing back up from damage, it's kind of chillingly fantastic to play.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I used one of the big blockade vans at the Police station, then that set on fire so I grabbed another one, and in that time Tanner had got stuck at the docks and I'd flipped the second truck to reach him, so I just got out and frantically threw molotovs and grenades until he finally went down, while everyone was shooting at me.

As a general rule, GTA missions are only hard If you play them the way Rockstar intended you to play them.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

In Jedi: Fallen Order, there's this really neat sounding song that Cal is listening to during the opening cinematic. The song pops up again when Cal is captured by Bounty Hunters and forced to fight like a gladiator, so I thought I'd look up the song.

It turns out, the song that fit so well into a Star Wars setting is by a band named The HU.
They are a Mongolian group who blend metal with traditional instruments and throat singing. It sounds pretty goddamn awesome.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

In Jedi: Fallen Order, there's this really neat sounding song that Cal is listening to during the opening cinematic. The song pops up again when Cal is captured by Bounty Hunters and forced to fight like a gladiator, so I thought I'd look up the song.

It turns out, the song that fit so well into a Star Wars setting is by a band named The HU.
They are a Mongolian group who blend metal with traditional instruments and throat singing. It sounds pretty goddamn awesome.

Is this the group that featured Nazi imagery in a music video? I remember watching one of their videos on Youtube and this lead me down that rabbit hole a couple months ago and learning about the Tsagaan Khas but it may have just been that one video to feature any Nazi imagery. I thought it sounded cool and different but I don't speak Mongolian so it could've been a rebuke of Nazism/nationalism.

edit: I know the Swastika has different meanings (mainly in the East)

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Dec 22, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unperson_47 posted:

Is this the group that featured Nazi imagery in a music video?

There was a dude with a swastika ring, but I dunno if that was a Nazi thing or not. With Asia it’s hard to tell if they’re using it as a Buddhist symbol or a Nazi one.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There was a dude with a swastika ring, but I dunno if that was a Nazi thing or not. With Asia it’s hard to tell if they’re using it as a Buddhist symbol or a Nazi one.

I think there are also Swastikas on one of the guitar-like instruments, but you're right, they could be the religious one that's the opposite direction.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

I think there are also Swastikas on one of the guitar-like instruments, but you're right, they could be the religious one that's the opposite direction.

The religious one can be either direction (although newer examples tend be left-handed, since the nazi one is always right-handed).

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Alhazred posted:

As a general rule, GTA missions are only hard If you play them the way Rockstar intended you to play them.

Except the mission in San Andreas where you have to chase the train on the bike with Big Smoke. You're supposed to go up a path on the side of the hill so that you're level with the train and just do drive-by shooting attacks, but it seems like everyone just kept right next to the side of the train, never used drive-bys and then didn't understand why Smoke wasn't shooting them when he had no angle. I think I failed that mission maybe once in many playthroughs of the game, but everyone talks about it like it's super hard.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
There's a very early mission in Vice City Stories where you have to remove a bunch of bombs from a warehouse with a forklift, on a strict time limit, with fixed camera angles like you're playing goddamn Resident Evil 1. In every GTA I reach the point where I'm like, this is impossible, I'll just cheat my way through, but unlike basically every other GTA mission in existence, there's not even any way to make this mission easier by cheating.

I'm still bitter about this, because I really wanted more Vice City, and I never got to do the Phil Collins missions. :(

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
GTA V at least let me skip over that chasing-a-boat-on-the-highway mission after enough failed attempts.

The main problem is in Rockstar’s games the story missions are what you struggle through so you can access more of the sandbox which is the fun part. And missions in sandbox games are actually kinda tricky (even Saints Row 2 has some bad ones.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Spent a while loving around with side ops in MGSV this evening, was on my way to rescue a prisoner when I heard some gunshots, then snuck up to find the lone guard had just been killed by a wild jackal that wandered into that camp. I didn't even know they'd get close enough to attack anyone but me.
Two playthroughs and 80 hours in and I'm still finding new things :3:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Master Twig posted:

Except the mission in San Andreas where you have to chase the train on the bike with Big Smoke. You're supposed to go up a path on the side of the hill so that you're level with the train and just do drive-by shooting attacks, but it seems like everyone just kept right next to the side of the train, never used drive-bys and then didn't understand why Smoke wasn't shooting them when he had no angle. I think I failed that mission maybe once in many playthroughs of the game, but everyone talks about it like it's super hard.

In the English version you are told by Smoke to "follow" the train - not to "overtake" / "intercept" or "attack" the train. That's a pretty huge difference in meaning that led to people like me who took the instructions literally always losing the mission.

It's the kind of thing that really should have gotten caught by play testing and I'm a little surprised it made it in to the released game.

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Dec 23, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I need to give Pokemon Sword and Shield some serious props for some of its defensive Pokemon gameplay designs.

Not all Pokemon have had a clear role. Not many have had a clear intention in what exactly they're meant to do within the role they have. And a very small number of them have a clearly intended playstyle that's actually good and fun, and most of the ones that do are offensively-oriented. But this latest generation has thrown an impressive lineup of defensive Pokemon that are actually really fun, and practical to boot. It's really hard to design a fun playstyle that boils down to 'outlast your opponent', but gently caress, they get there.

My favorite is Cursola, the Ghost-type evolution of Corsola based on bleached, dead coral. It learns both the classic move Curse (when used by a Ghost, cuts their HP in half to deal 25% of the enemy's HP every turn), and the new move Strength Sap (steals HP equal to your enemy's Attack stat, then reduces their Attack), and I believe is the only one that can learn them both. Use that right and everything atrophies and dies slowly in front of you while your Pokemon keeps healing back up from damage, it's kind of chillingly fantastic to play.

Dang that actually sounds pretty cool.

DQ11 Switch version having the orchestral version really goes a long way to make the 4 songs that they made for the game not get old and grate on you.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Rockstar's game dev process is making fun open world sandboxes to dick around in and do collectathons and hunt down poo poo and just generally dick off but then insisting on including an irritatingly written story you need to do that's full of characters you absolutely loving hate every moment of. :sigh:

To stay on topic though, I love how Deep Rock Galactic's devs keep adding more and more lines for the dorfs each update. It's always fun to hear something brand new when I point out an enemy or get a kill.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Master Twig posted:

Please don’t ever go “I didn’t have a problem with it so I don’t know why other people had a problem with it”.

I got to the point where I perfected the distance between the targets and the bike so Smoke would take them out before exiting the tunnel. But it took like ten tries. There is a reason why “all you had to do...” is a meme.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Spent a while loving around with side ops in MGSV this evening, was on my way to rescue a prisoner when I heard some gunshots, then snuck up to find the lone guard had just been killed by a wild jackal that wandered into that camp. I didn't even know they'd get close enough to attack anyone but me.
Two playthroughs and 80 hours in and I'm still finding new things :3:

I think I had the same experience. The one in Africa with the prisoner on the roof of the small structure? Two jackals snuck up on and killed the two guards. Tranq’d the jackals and fultoned them and the prisoner. A patrolling pair of guards approached after but they weren’t expecting a rocketfist to the balls

I enjoyed the “rescue the children” side ops as well. The first few were played straight but one involved a base taken over by puppet soldiers and one had the kid hiding on top of a tower with bears pacing around the base

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Dec 23, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mierenneuker posted:

Please don’t ever go “I didn’t have a problem with it so I don’t know why other people had a problem with it”.

I got to the point where I perfected the distance between the targets and the bike so Smoke would take them out before exiting the tunnel. But it took like ten tries. There is a reason why “all you had to do...” is a meme.

But all you had to do WAS follow the drat train :confused: you can see the dudes you need shot on top of the train so I dont really get why people followed it as close as possible, where you cant shoot them.

It's like the first Top Fun mission in Vice City, everyone talks about how impossible it is but it's easy enough to finish with a minute left on the timer if you dont try to figure out the maze and instead fly, like a helicopter does, up the stairwell

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Master Twig posted:

As someone whose actual real name is CJ and is therefore forever linked in gamers' minds to GTA San Andreas, believe me when I say there is no point standing your ground on the "it's really not that hard" battlefield because nobody will ever believe you

It really isn't as hard as you remember it being

You just have to follow the drat train, CJ

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At least it's not those goddamn RC helicopter missions, now those were a pain in the rear end.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CJacobs posted:

At least it's not those goddamn RC helicopter missions, now those were a pain in the rear end.

Those are my favourite missions :saddowns: the RC PLANES can get hosed but the helicopters are hilarious to control, and the way people go flying uses the same physics as big choppers so this little toy makes them hurl into orbit :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah the plane one was the lovely one, where you have to blow up a van or whathaveyou. I just know that the real David Cross hated hearing himself in those missions so much he didn't finish them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kit Walker posted:

I think I had the same experience. The one in Africa with the prisoner on the roof of the small structure? Two jackals snuck up on and killed the two guards. Tranq’d the jackals and fultoned them and the prisoner. A patrolling pair of guards approached after but they weren’t expecting a rocketfist to the balls

Yep, that was the one. I forgot there was supposed to be another guard right on site, maybe it ate him. :iiam:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The RC missions were the worst yeah.

And I brought up the train mission as a counter to the assertion that GTA missions are harder if you play them the intended way. It's a big example of the opposite being true.

Rockstars issue is that apparently they didn't make it clear what you were supposed to do and most people missed the train height path to the side of the train.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

No one has actually brought up the real way to follow the drat train: ride up a ramp and jump on it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah the plane one was the lovely one, where you have to blow up a van or whathaveyou. I just know that the real David Cross hated hearing himself in those missions so much he didn't finish them.

My friend was having so much trouble with that, passed me the controller, and I finished it in my first attempt. Felt so fuckin cool. I imagine that things just happened to line up perfectly for me - I assume that if I had to do it again, I'd be tearing my hair out

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

My friend was having so much trouble with that, passed me the controller, and I finished it in my first attempt. Felt so fuckin cool. I imagine that things just happened to line up perfectly for me - I assume that if I had to do it again, I'd be tearing my hair out

Was it an early printing on PS2? That mission was heavily RNG dependent until they sent out the discs with Hot Coffee patched out- while they updated it, they also made the RC plane only use fuel when it was hitting the gas. Before you could glide around, your range was limited to the point you could only beat the mission if the vans spawned right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been replaying A Plague Tale: Innocence to get all the collectibles and one thing I've noticed is that your companions will have slightly different dialogue depending on whether Amicia chooses to peacefully avoid combat or go Jeanne D'Arc on the Inquisition's asses. The collectibles themselves also often lead to some nice little character moments.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Master Twig posted:

The RC missions were the worst yeah.

RC missions in GTA are always the worst, yet they keep on making them. There's even a (less painfull) rc mission in the very first GTA game.

Anyways, I'm playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I appreciate that things like rope arrows and combat knife is available from the start. Also that they took a cue from Uncharted and, unlike Rise of the Tomb Raider, enemies can lose you if hide after fighting them.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Was it an early printing on PS2? That mission was heavily RNG dependent until they sent out the discs with Hot Coffee patched out- while they updated it, they also made the RC plane only use fuel when it was hitting the gas. Before you could glide around, your range was limited to the point you could only beat the mission if the vans spawned right.

Hmm, could you get to that mission on a early printing, and then swap discs to a new printing and beat the mission easily? Or would your save file have trouble recognizing a different version of that game?

drat it just wasn't that long ago that your console just didnt get patch. In fact it still feels weird when nintendo patches their games like smash bros for balance stuff, it feels almost eerie.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

while every single room in luigi's mansion 3 is filled with so many great details and interactable bits to qualify for this thread, the best highlight so far was the room in the gardens where you get a chainsaw and the place is covered top to bottom in plants and furniture to RIP AND TEAR

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

while every single room in luigi's mansion 3 is filled with so many great details and interactable bits to qualify for this thread, the best highlight so far was the room in the gardens where you get a chainsaw and the place is covered top to bottom in plants and furniture to RIP AND TEAR

I can't believe there wasn't at least one more room like that.

Also I think I sucked up every last grain of sand in every room that I could. Something very satisfying about it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Everyone in REmake 2 calls zombies “zombies” right off the bat instead of pretending they’ve never even heard of the concept.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night you can craft all sorts of food. The first time you consume a specific food you'll get a permanent buff to your stats while your character goes "ooh, scrumptious!" Some are worthwhile to craft multiple times to restore health or mana.

One of these food items is Dark Matter. Its ingredients are a rat tail, toad eye, witch tears and a fell leaf. The description says "An ominious black mass that is probably edible... but you first." Upon consuming it your character will go "Ugh... foul..." and will get poisoned (you also didn't get any stat buffs). Because the actual purpose of dark matter is to use it for different crafting purposes :v:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

food court bailiff posted:

Everyone in REmake 2 calls zombies “zombies” right off the bat instead of pretending they’ve never even heard of the concept.

I replayed Dead Rising when it was on a Humble Bundle for the Ps4 and it was really weird hearing that, someone just straight up calling zombies "zombies" and not making up a silly name for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I replayed Dead Rising when it was on a Humble Bundle for the Ps4 and it was really weird hearing that, someone just straight up calling zombies "zombies" and not making up a silly name for them.

Or insisting the person is sick. Do NOT say the zed word!