Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ScarletBrother posted:

What if it's a colored land? Does that even work rules wise?

In principle there's nothing that stops them from slapping a color indicator on a land, they just usually don't because it's confusing to have colored noncreature lands when even a basic forest isn't green.

Also, despite being colored Dryad Arbor is still grouped with the lands by collector's number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's almost certainly going to be a medium sized green or red creature for 4-6 mana that you have to jump through some sort of weird hoop to transform.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
stop calling it the night side when it's literally got squidlady on the flip icon.

Also I would like it to be an enchantment that protects creatures in some way (like toughness or hexproof) and flips when you haven't lost a critter / taken damage over X turns to simulate the walling up. If it was like this it's probably a pretty solid control finisher, so it's probably not.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

stop calling it the night side when it's literally got squidlady on the flip icon.

Squidside then.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Also I would like it to be an enchantment that protects creatures in some way (like toughness or hexproof) and flips when you haven't lost a critter / taken damage over X turns to simulate the walling up. If it was like this it's probably a pretty solid control finisher, so it's probably not.
That would make no sense at all with haste, you have to at least theoretically be able to flip it the turn you drop it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Squidside, best side.

With the foil promo tokens being zombies in the reveal, it looks like my wish for more zombie creatures might be coming true. I really wanna have a deck that has spots for Diregraf Colossus and Relentless Dead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's the 'mracool side, like the cool side of your pillow, you dweebs.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I wonder if it's going to be a dumb overly elaborate way of flipping these Eldrazi ooze things that is only present in this set.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Algid posted:

That would make no sense at all with haste, you have to at least theoretically be able to flip it the turn you drop it.

If it has to exile itself before flipping it would have haste on the back. It could have something like the sorcery flip card in that when it dies you exile and return to play transformed if some condition is met.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Entropic posted:

Yes, this is the nightside and they haven't revealed the dayside yet.

Um excuse me it's the Emrakulside

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Side'rakul

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chill la Chill posted:

It's the 'mracool side, like the cool side of your pillow, you dweebs.

This doubly works because the other side will be the square side.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I can't wait for the first Splatoon joke to come from this set

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

Sigma-X posted:

IDK if they keep them in a safe, but it's not a prison. It does however, seat like 45 people comfortably inside that tiny space. They usually get like 65+ though.

The lady who runs it is nice and knowledgeable AFAIK (only went once) but my buddy who went another time said the rest of her family is all like super weird awkward nerds and he felt uncomfortable there.

Franks is fun to walk around, I never bothered buying cards when I was there. Lots of vendors, though.

It's like a giant nerd closet / toy chest, and I was amazed at how much ugly junky poo poo some random comic store guy was trying to sell for $80. Like, I guess there is a market for "well loved" toys from the 70s, but I'm clearly not it.

I used to be a regular at Knight Ware until I recently moved away. Lori is really cool and nice and it's a really good crowd filled with regulars. We all respect the shop, so anything short of an armed robbery nobody would ever mess her inventory. She lets people borrow cards for tournaments all the time. Even the semi-regulars who show up for her big Sunday tournaments are pretty cool.

List of LA area places I used to hit up that were great:

Knight Ware (mostly legacy and vintage with occasional modern)
Turn Zero Games
Mega City One
Fire & Dice
MTG Deals
Rivals CCG (moved recently I believe)
Next-Gen

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I used to be a regular at Knight Ware until I recently moved away. Lori is really cool and nice and it's a really good crowd filled with regulars. We all respect the shop, so anything short of an armed robbery nobody would ever mess her inventory. She lets people borrow cards for tournaments all the time. Even the semi-regulars who show up for her big Sunday tournaments are pretty cool.

List of LA area places I used to hit up that were great:

Knight Ware (mostly legacy and vintage with occasional modern)
Turn Zero Games
Mega City One
Fire & Dice
MTG Deals
Rivals CCG (moved recently I believe)
Next-Gen

I live like 5 minutes away from MTG Deals, the place used to be a furniture show room, so it's got a really nice large hall for events. Also they do free board game rentals, you just have to give them your ID. Although their modern and legacy events don't fire that often. I usually go to BUMS, to play modern, it's this tiny hole in the wall shop with a lot of good regulars.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alris posted:

It's like a super hosed up version of Howl's Moving Castle.

Also it turns out Eldrazi (and horror in general) is more effective when it's relateable and not abstract. Who would have thought.

Howl'mrakul's Moving Castle.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Congrats wotc you created a meme'rakul

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

So if this chain veil thing is so important why haven't we seen any art of Liliana wearing it?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Retromancer posted:

So if this chain veil thing is so important why haven't we seen any art of Liliana wearing it?

Maybe Garruk isn't on Innistrad currently and they'll have him show up later? Or maybe this just isn't the time Lili gives a gently caress about dealing with it.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

But she still has the veil, she got a big magic boost from it that let her do things like kill Kothophed and Griselbrand and supposedly fight an Eldrazi Titan. The Garruk thing was just her casting a particularly nasty spell on him. He doesn't have it.

edit: also in the story articles she can't be physically removed from it. it's just weird that she's had this thing for years now and we've never seen her put it on.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Retromancer posted:

But she still has the veil, she got a big magic boost from it that let her do things like kill Kothophed and Griselbrand and supposedly fight an Eldrazi Titan. The Garruk thing was just her casting a particularly nasty spell on him. He doesn't have it.

edit: also in the story articles she can't be physically removed from it. it's just weird that she's had this thing for years now and we've never seen her put it on.

My fan theory is the plot of magic is really bad and if the people writing it don't put any effort into trying to make sense of it than neither should you.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Retromancer posted:

She put it on in the comic books when she just got it. She doesn't like to now because of the compulsive voices that tell her to go resurrect the onnake every time she does.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Even Robo Rosewater is feeling the Eldrazi summer

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Springtime for Emmy and Innistrad
Winter for Sorin and Jace

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

JerryLee posted:

This made my day.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

JerryLee posted:

I was born in Hanweir town and that is why they call me Blob.

Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the'mrakul party

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I like Gaby's stream well enough but she talked for a bit earlier saying that GW tokens, the most linear deck in standard, is a hard deck with a lot of different lines on steam earlier and I was just :psyduck:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I like Gaby's stream well enough but she talked for a bit earlier saying that GW tokens, the most linear deck in standard, is a hard deck with a lot of different lines on steam earlier and I was just :psyduck:

Hate to break it to you but tokens does have a lot of lines and is a very flexible deck. It is not the most linear deck in standard.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Hate to break it to you but tokens does have a lot of lines and is a very flexible deck. It is not the most linear deck in standard.

Flexibility does not mean that it has a lot of lines

90% of the time it's pretty obvious if you want to get creatures in your hand with duskwatch/evo leap, go wider, or pump your guys

e:

I will give it to you that the most linear part isn't true tho humans does exist

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's not a super easy deck to play. SB'ing is complicated and there are a lot of routes you can take. Also Archangel Avacyn is very tricky to play with.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Shadowmoor is a format I like that I'm not good at.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Ya you guys are probably right. I moved over to Grixis from it about a month ago so in comparison having that consistency makes it seem easier (also GW is a terrible matchup for Grixis :argh:)

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
If Avacyn was keeping Emrakul away just by existing, and Emrakul couldnt even enter Innistrad until Avacyn was killed, is the solution to the Eldrazi problem as simple as making an Avacyn on each plane?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

End of Life Guy posted:

If Avacyn was keeping Emrakul away just by existing, and Emrakul couldnt even enter Innistrad until Avacyn was killed, is the solution to the Eldrazi problem as simple as making an Avacyn on each plane?

Nahiri actually just summoned Emrakul I think. Emrakul wasn't even particularly interested in Innistrad's mana in the first place.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Shadowmoor is a format I like that I'm not good at.

This is me but with every draft format that isn't m13 or m15.

Basically I was only ever good at drafting core sets.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Nahiri actually just summoned Emrakul I think. Emrakul wasn't even particularly interested in Innistrad's mana in the first place.
The Helvault was also acting as an invisibility cloak for the plane as well.

Basically Sorin didn't care as long as Innistrad wasn't involved.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

This is me but with every draft format that isn't m13 or m15.

Basically I was only ever good at drafting core sets.

I win a lot at Vintage Cube, but not much else.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

My Wu Tang secret for drafting Origins was take all the Sepratist Voidmages I could because no one wanted to draft blue in any of the drafts I was in.

The real Wu Tang secret for drafting Origins is to not draft Origins

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

The Helvault and Avacyn both prevent Innistrad from being affected by extraplanar interference (but doesn't stop planeswalkers from walking there because :shrug:.) Both had to be gone before Nahiri could do her stuff.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well in fairness, that time I drafted an extremely good deck and drew no lands and just lost to the guy who had regular dudes and drew land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Retromancer posted:

The Helvault and Avacyn both prevent Innistrad from being affected by extraplanar interference (but doesn't stop planeswalkers from walking there because :shrug:.) Both had to be gone before Nahiri could do her stuff.

The real question is if all it takes to keep the Eldrazi away from your plane is a rock and an angel, why doesn't every plane have at least the rock?

• Locked thread