Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Forums Terrorist posted:

i forget, were you one of the posters mocking the marines for treating "guy with a stinger" as suitable bote aa defense

Yes. It makes for really funny pictures though, so I'm glad they've done it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Daily Mail is not journalism
E: okay it may not be Daily mail

But have a little poem all the same:

You cannot hope to bribe or twist
(Thank god) the British journalist
But seeing what the man will do
Unbribed, there's no occasion to

simplefish fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 29, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

BOOOO!

Is the article saying that "the new 5-inch gun performs no better than pre-existing US or Italian models at an elevated price point", or is it more...simplistic in what it's trying to say?

I think it's "Military stuff is expensive! Why are we spending money?!"

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

BOOOO!

Is the article saying that "the new 5-inch gun performs no better than pre-existing US or Italian models at an elevated price point", or is it more...simplistic in what it's trying to say?

I think it's saying that the gun is only five inches long how can that be worth the money, misunderstanding that is the bore diameter not the length.

Someone is a bit thick.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Polyakov posted:

I think it's saying that the gun is only five inches long how can that be worth the money, misunderstanding that is the bore diameter not the length.

Someone is a bit thick.

Now it turns out to be a good deal after all!

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/533645/ministry-for-defence-gun-million-trident-conservative-weapons

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
War? heh
http://news.sky.com/story/us-declared-war-blacklisting-kim-jong-un-10515230?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Was the Korean War an actual declared war by the US or one of those "not actually a war wars" for legal purposes? Because if it's the former than I'm pretty sure that declaration still technically stands.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Was the Korean War an actual declared war by the US or one of those "not actually a war wars" for legal purposes? Because if it's the former than I'm pretty sure that declaration still technically stands.

It was officially a police action, so one of those "not really a war" wars.

Can we just finally get the thing over with? The tension is killing me. I'm in Florida so I'm 99.9% sure I'm about 5000 miles outside the range of any North Korean nuke.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

wdarkk posted:

"Police Action" under UN auspices.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Its not often you hear "thrice cursed" these days. I applaud their prose.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

The caliber of journalism in Britain is terrible.

:golfclap:

chitoryu12 posted:

Can we just finally get the thing over with? The tension is killing me. I'm in Florida so I'm 99.9% sure I'm about 5000 miles outside the range of any North Korean nuke.

This is rather terrifying reading on the subject if you are interested

I think at one point it predicts it'd take something like 100 C-17 loads of food per day just to keep one inland province of NK in vittles

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

B4Ctom1 posted:

Repeatedly heard in all the worst FAA cockpit tapes :(
http://www.outlawperformance.com/uploads/Warnpullup.mp3

As a passenger on a small plane in California I've actually heard this sound clip before.

Fortunately the plane was still on the tarmac being loaded.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

:golfclap:

This is rather terrifying reading on the subject if you are interested

I think at one point it predicts it'd take something like 100 C-17 loads of food per day just to keep one inland province of NK in vittles

It's fine, I mean...it's not like the USAF is the smallest it's been since splitting from the Army or anything. Oh. Hm.

Well, whatever, they're not eating that much now right?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

It's fine, I mean...it's not like the USAF is the smallest it's been since splitting from the Army or anything. Oh. Hm.

Well, whatever, they're not eating that much now right?

lol

Even worse, in a "government collapse" type situation, unless everybody was ready to go with massive food aid, hoarding of food would become a large problem, as would food taking over as a de facto currency (with attendant horrible effects to the already very sketchy food supply).

As has been observed in this thread before, infrastructure outside of Pyongyang is basically medieval, so your two options for food shipment are by sea and by airlift. Assuming no fighting is going on, occupying armies would be employing every Nork who wants work in road/rail/electrical line construction

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

lol

Even worse, in a "government collapse" type situation, unless everybody was ready to go with massive food aid, hoarding of food would become a large problem, as would food taking over as a de facto currency (with attendant horrible effects to the already very sketchy food supply).

As has been observed in this thread before, infrastructure outside of Pyongyang is basically medieval, so your two options for food shipment are by sea and by airlift. Assuming no fighting is going on, occupying armies would be employing every Nork who wants work in road/rail/electrical line construction

Isn't the average NK citizen malnourished pretty badly and not tremendously educated? I'm trying to imagine taking a bunch of malnourished dirt farmers and using them to build infrastructure and the picture looks something like, well... North Korea.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is getting posted here, GiP and AI lol

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

P-Mack posted:

"Police Action" under UN auspices.

A reminder that the UN resolution for getting involved with Korea only passed because at the time the Soviets were boycotting their UN involvement. Otherwise they would have exercised their veto.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Akion posted:

Isn't the average NK citizen malnourished pretty badly and not tremendously educated? I'm trying to imagine taking a bunch of malnourished dirt farmers and using them to build infrastructure and the picture looks something like, well...

Cultural Revolution/Great Leap Forward 2.0?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I think you're envisioning LockMart building some kind of maglev railroad in post-war North Korea to distribute food supplies, regular lovely railway will do and it's definitely something where you need lots of manual labor. (particularly with tunnels and other infrastructure). Keeping large numbers of Koreans employed due to obsolete methods would be the whole point right?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Akion posted:

Isn't the average NK citizen malnourished pretty badly and not tremendously educated? I'm trying to imagine taking a bunch of malnourished dirt farmers and using them to build infrastructure and the picture looks something like, well... North Korea.
You don't need a highly educated populace to lay rail, and the NK literacy rate is actually very close to 100%--not propaganda, you can literally teach a kid who can speak Korean to read in a couple of weeks.

This is doubly true for NK because they have a "cultural protection" law that prevents the adoption of modern terms from English, so even dirt farmers can pick up reading very quickly.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah ignorant doesn't mean stupid. A good chunk of the population are a bunch of dirt farmers trapped in the 1950s but if you show them how to do something they could do it.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Alaan posted:

Yeah ignorant doesn't mean stupid. A good chunk of the population are a bunch of dirt farmers trapped in the 1950s but if you show them how to do something they could do it.
The Norks are also really good at digging tunnels, as it turns out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Even Obama is getting in on the joke. Ship to be named Harvey Milk.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/gay-rights-icon-harvey-milk-navy-vessel-named-article-1.2730958

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

An irradiated populace needs little food

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

There'll probably be a bounty on that ship for the first to give someone on another ship a facial with a shot line.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Okay, awesome for Milk, but Sojurner Truth is a name fit for something way cooler then an oilier.

Sojurner Truth once calmed a mob of unruly young men by shushing them and calling them out for being rude.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sojourner Truth was Black.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

right arm posted:

Sojourner Truth was Black.

So is that robot.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cyrano4747 posted:

So is that robot.

It's got a lot of red on it too. Might be one of Jefferson's kids.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's got a lot of red on it too. Might be one of Jefferson's kids.

:damm:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alaan posted:

Also railways are literally 19th century technology. America successfully made working-class Chinese immigrants who spoke little to no English build railways for them in California. Pretty sure we could do the same with North Korea today.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

chitoryu12 posted:

Also railways are literally 19th century technology. America successfully made working-class Chinese immigrants who spoke little to no English build railways for them in California. Pretty sure we could do the same with North Korea today.

Don't be.

America couldnt build a goat farm in Afghanistan.
https://warisboring.com/afghanistan-s-failed-goat-farm-is-the-perfect-american-disaster-ed2114523b44#.66rnej56r

America spent 5 million on one gas station. ~10x what it should have cost.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/pentagon-defense-waste-afghanistan-217999

Both of the countries America invaded > a decade ago which were poor/lovely but functional are high on the fragile state index. The American military is VERY VERY bad at nation building.

EDIT2:
Not to mention that North Korean's whole world view is basically how they're the best most pure race and other races are a constant threat militarily. The latter may change if the Kim regime falls but it is the only thing propping up that ragime so it is reiterated constantly. The idea that they're going to integrate with our construction people or do anything that seems like subjugation to another race is not taking their culture into account.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 31, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

Doing it under the guns like we did back then is gonna look kinda bad on CNN

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

USS Harvey Milk, pumping lube for seamen to the very ends of the earth.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Don't be.

America couldnt build a goat farm in Afghanistan.
https://warisboring.com/afghanistan-s-failed-goat-farm-is-the-perfect-american-disaster-ed2114523b44#.66rnej56r

America spent 5 million on one gas station. ~10x what it should have cost.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/pentagon-defense-waste-afghanistan-217999

Both of the countries America invaded > a decade ago which were poor/lovely but functional are high on the fragile state index. The American military is VERY VERY bad at nation building.

EDIT2:
Not to mention that North Korean's whole world view is basically how they're the best most pure race and other races are a constant threat militarily. The latter may change if the Kim regime falls but it is the only thing propping up that ragime so it is reiterated constantly. The idea that they're going to integrate with our construction people or do anything that seems like subjugation to another race is not taking their culture into account.

The American Military doesn't do nation building. That would be the American government and whoever gets stuck in the new government of whatever place.

The horrible racism/xenophobia issues are less a problem if South Korea can be the face of whatever coalition has to un-gently caress the place. Admittedly, though, it'd be enough of a disaster I doubt they'd be able to do it without personnel from other allies.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 31, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

"Now, Lieutenant, after you nuke that city, we need you to drop those baby 100-pounders we stuck on your aircraft on this RPD emplacement on the way back to base."

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

"Now, Lieutenant, after you nuke that city, we need you to drop those baby 100-pounders we stuck on your aircraft on this RPD emplacement on the way back to base."

We need these in War Thunder to counter the enhanced Tu-4s.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

mlmp08 posted:

he's supposed to release them when he's full inverted and kill himself

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

This is really cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bobcats posted:

This is really cool!

Re:B-52 Livemap Video

A few questions hopefully someone can answer because anything about this video should be past the declassification time period...

I hear the radio talk about SAM after SAM after SAM...how did only two of a 30+ strong swarm of massive RCS, huge heat signature, low maneuverability planes get shot down?!

Are there other planes not shown providing EW/Jamming so the missiles never get lock?
Are a cadre of wild weasel F-4s just not mentioned here?
Do the B-52s themselves have jamming pods? All or some?