Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Nihonniboku posted:

You don't have any issues with them bunching up like paper sleeves tend to do?

The very corners of the sleeve can bunch up a little bit but there is way less friction when inserting the inner sleeve into the outer sleeve vs paper. Same is true of putting record into inner sleeve. Paper is rough and creates a shitload of friction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

CaptainBeefart posted:

I came close to picking up one of the Broadcast reissues yesterday, maybe I'll swing back this weekend. I haven't heard any of their studio stuff but The Black Session performance blows me away every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LicRs6WXVo

can't go wrong with any of their 3 "main" albums: The Noise Made by People, HaHa Sound (my fave), and Tender Buttons

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CatBlack posted:

I'm using these (https://www.amazon.com/Sleeves-Fide...ps%2C137&sr=8-3).

They've been fine so far and I strongly prefer them to any paper sleeves.

Gonna have to try these. I always buy MoFi sleeves because they're kind of the standard but if these are essentially the same or better for 2/3 of the cost, count me in.

Though the MoFi guys (well, Music Direct) are local to me and show up at record shows pretty often, or at least they did prior to the pandemic, and would routinely sell inners and outers for $10/pack.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CatBlack posted:

The very corners of the sleeve can bunch up a little bit but there is way less friction when inserting the inner sleeve into the outer sleeve vs paper. Same is true of putting record into inner sleeve. Paper is rough and creates a shitload of friction.

You've made a sale. Thank you.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Barry posted:

Gonna have to try these. I always buy MoFi sleeves because they're kind of the standard but if these are essentially the same or better for 2/3 of the cost, count me in.

Though the MoFi guys (well, Music Direct) are local to me and show up at record shows pretty often, or at least they did prior to the pandemic, and would routinely sell inners and outers for $10/pack.

Report back if you can remember cause I'd like to know if the MoFi sleeves are worth hunting down. I'm mainly buying these because they're on amazon and that's the easiest place for me to buy stuff from.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Nihonniboku posted:

You don't have any issues with them bunching up like paper sleeves tend to do?

I've been using the MoFi ones that are exactly like these for I don't even know how long and I've very rarely had an issue.

CatBlack posted:

Report back if you can remember cause I'd like to know if the MoFi sleeves are worth hunting down. I'm mainly buying these because they're on amazon and that's the easiest place for me to buy stuff from.

Bags Unlimited makes a knockoff of the MoFi sleeves that are slightly cheaper and they're just the same thing. They cost five bucks less.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

just learned of this thread, good stuff!

most recent purchase was the new repress of Broadcast's HaHa Sound — it was previously out of print and i'd been looking for it forever so i had to snatch it right when i saw it in the record store last week. played it twice over the weekend and it sounds stellar. RIP TRISH

i also just saw this on my twitter feed, an essential dub (nyabinghi) album and one of my favorites of all time. not on streaming as far as i know either, so get it while you can! completely like anything else i've heard, i listen to my copy often

https://twitter.com/boomkatonline/status/1508791664881680384

This is a Superior Viaduct release btw and as such is available Stateside for those you in the greatest country named United States of America on Earth

https://www.superiorviaduct.com/collections/antarctica-starts-here/products/dadawah-peace-and-love-wadadasow-lp

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

The selection of movies on there is crazy. It's basically what Netflix was like 15 years ago. They also have a bunch of different poo poo on there that have over priced OOP blu-rays and poo poo. I know they have a bunch of stuff Drafthouse released which was the case with Miami Connection.

Upon further examination, only the Rixxtrax version is on Tubi. I have discovered that the film is on Youtube, in SD but that's fine with me

https://youtu.be/pnxSXqFyfaY

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The rifftrax is a bunch of fun as it’s a live one, and I had no regrets watching it as my first run through.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

The rifftrax is a bunch of fun as it’s a live one, and I had no regrets watching it as my first run through.

:4eels: I've seldom felt like any film they decided to riff on is any worse for it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/lightintheattic/status/1508897354207817730

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

:4eels: I've seldom felt like any film they decided to riff on is any worse for it.

They've done a bunch for movies that are actually good for some reason. Like Night of the Living Dead and Starship Troopers.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

They've done a bunch for movies that are actually good for some reason. Like Night of the Living Dead and Starship Troopers.

Starship Troopers was the back up in case Fox wouldn't give them the rights to do Twilight live. Fox didn't give them the rights for a live event.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Well they'd be good for it, I can see that.

Okay it's been a minute since last visit to Goodwill, just picked up a couple oddities, no big deal.

The vinyl on the High Anxiety soundtrack is NM and I'm hoping it's Lalo Schifrin good, though that's a high bar. I haven't heard of Brownsville Station for like 30 years, have little idea what to expect, and that WKTK record, well I think I've heard of one of the bands on that record, got a feeling it's K-Tel bad. WKTK changed their call sign to WJZ or something in the 80s, I have a feeling it's terrible in a Baltimore kinda way. And I pick up every Skeeter Davis album that's in good shape ever since I heard her with NRBQ.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oooo, Xiety!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Wtf each band member looks like they're in a different decade, lmao that's amazing!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Listening to the Anxiety OST RN, it's got a Theremin woo!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Oooo, Xiety!

Morris is no Lalo but still good for a laff!

ED: Also accidentally picked up a lovely copy of the Turtles, She'd Rather Be With Me. White Whale Records, hah!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CatBlack posted:

I'm using these (https://www.amazon.com/Sleeves-Fide...ps%2C137&sr=8-3).

They've been fine so far and I strongly prefer them to any paper sleeves.

Gonna co-sign on this. Just as good as the Mofi brand and much cheaper.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

How much was everyone paying for MoFi sleeves? I never saw them going for more than 25 bucks. I mean it doesn't make much difference because the knockoffs are the same poo poo. I'm just curious.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

CPL593H posted:

How much was everyone paying for MoFi sleeves? I never saw them going for more than 25 bucks. I mean it doesn't make much difference because the knockoffs are the same poo poo. I'm just curious.

It appears they're 20 dollars per 50 on their official site. They're currently 24.99 on amazon but when I checked earlier today they were 29 so the price fluctuates there. I might give them a shot because variety is the spice of life.

on an unrelated note, I just bought a bootleg of no love deep web even though I already own the official one because its pink. I have developed a serious problem very quickly.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I had another decent vinyl score on Sunday. Saw a terrible FB ad that had just been posted with a potato phone pic and sleuthed it was worth checking out from the sellers other listing being blacklight posters and lavalamps.

Ended up being ~50 albums, 45 of which were vintage rock/metal for $30.

https://i.imgur.com/sBEJKWW.mp4

Some have worn jackets and are a bit dusty, some like the Black Sabbath Paranoid UK pressing were mint. Not bad for $30

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

$15 for the black light WITH the posters is a bargain at twice the price. :catdrugs:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

my turn in the barrel posted:

I had another decent vinyl score on Sunday. Saw a terrible FB ad that had just been posted with a potato phone pic and sleuthed it was worth checking out from the sellers other listing being blacklight posters and lavalamps.

Ended up being ~50 albums, 45 of which were vintage rock/metal for $30.

https://i.imgur.com/sBEJKWW.mp4

Some have worn jackets and are a bit dusty, some like the Black Sabbath Paranoid UK pressing were mint. Not bad for $30

Kinda crate browsing vicariously here through you, you could make a good screensaver of this

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

petit choux posted:

Morris is no Lalo but still good for a laff!

ED: Also accidentally picked up a lovely copy of the Turtles, She'd Rather Be With Me. White Whale Records, hah!

I have a mono copy of that album. The Turtles really kick, and I love their music. They had so many great singles, and they really did try to do interesting things. It's no wonder why Frank Zappa hired Flo and Eddy to sing for him.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

I have a mono copy of that album. The Turtles really kick, and I love their music. They had so many great singles, and they really did try to do interesting things. It's no wonder why Frank Zappa hired Flo and Eddy to sing for him.

Yeah, that's why I bought it, LOL. I've not encountered a good copy in the wild so far. This copy looks like hell, but it took me back to Zappa and Flo and Eddy.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Flo and Eddy own. :3:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a9K9TNz5po

Dig the 80s sweater, fit for a

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I like that the clamps cost more than the records.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

$15 for the black light WITH the posters is a bargain at twice the price. :catdrugs:

Blacklight was pretty crappy and the posters were a poorly done tiger and a gross flower that were beat to poo poo so I passed. I did get her to throw in the Lava lamp for an extra $10 and she gave me another crate of records for free she said were in a flood.

I saw a bunch of Beatles, Stones etc.. in there so I took them. But once I got home and checked a few they had indeed been exposed to a flood or rain or something and the records were trashed. Some of the covers look OK to use for framing or making art but putting good records into a sleeve that might have mold spores in it is a terrible idea.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

petit choux posted:

Kinda crate browsing vicariously here through you, you could make a good screensaver of this

You're in luck I posted a few barn sale hauls earlier in the thread.

I had a really good .50 cents a piece #dadrock haul a few months back that I think I posted in the vintage hifi thread but I wasn't aware there was a Vinyl thread then so here is that flip through.
https://youtube.com/shorts/3X67OkjNNFM?feature=share

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blacklight was pretty crappy and the posters were a poorly done tiger and a gross flower that were beat to poo poo so I passed. I did get her to throw in the Lava lamp for an extra $10 and she gave me another crate of records for free she said were in a flood.

I saw a bunch of Beatles, Stones etc.. in there so I took them. But once I got home and checked a few they had indeed been exposed to a flood or rain or something and the records were trashed. Some of the covers look OK to use for framing or making art but putting good records into a sleeve that might have mold spores in it is a terrible idea.

If the damage to the records is mold and not abrasion you might not want to throw them out just yet. Vacuum cleaning works miracles.

That disc plays VG+

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Finally pulled the trigger on a real turntable to play the records I've had for....gently caress almost a decade without being able to play them.

First one I got was Random Access Memories when it first came out can't wait to finally listen to it.

Anyway got a U-turn Orbit custom with the walnut plinth, ortophon red and all the upgrades. Pairing that with some simple Audio engine A2's.

I'll take some pics of the weird records I've found digging through old college record stores over the years later.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mailperson dropped the goods on me today.

This vinyl weighs a ton. drat. I just wish the book had more substance. It's just a picture on one page and lyrics on the facing page. Oh well. It is a really beautiful package and it sounds loving awesome. Legit one of my favorite albums of all time.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Any goons going to the Pittsburgh Girl Talk show?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Crain posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on a real turntable to play the records I've had for....gently caress almost a decade without being able to play them.

First one I got was Random Access Memories when it first came out can't wait to finally listen to it.

Anyway got a U-turn Orbit custom with the walnut plinth, ortophon red and all the upgrades. Pairing that with some simple Audio engine A2's.

I'll take some pics of the weird records I've found digging through old college record stores over the years later.

Feels good doesn't it? I got my first real TT nearly 5 years ago (!!) after almost 20 years in the wilderness with whatever leftover crap I could get my hands on. Welcome to the thread :)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Yes.

I can finally listen to the weird bootleg "Country Comfort" Elton John concert recording I bought ten years ago.

Also my parents are moving and found two crates of old old records with some weird stuff (Like a 1965 radio documentary on JFK), some funny stuff (Father Guido Sarduchi records), and great classics (Original Led Zeppelin 4) to go through.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Crain posted:

old old records with some weird stuff (Like a 1965 radio documentary on JFK)...to go through.

This is the kinda poo poo I eat up, I love it.

My "Sounds of basic training at Fort Ord" 45 is a treasure of mine. :allears:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

This is the kinda poo poo I eat up, I love it.

My "Sounds of basic training at Fort Ord" 45 is a treasure of mine. :allears:

He has another that is 2 LPs of nothing but hundred's of radio show openers. Opening songs, title sequences, jingles, and whatever introductions preceded these old old shows.

No idea why he has it. He doesn't remember either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

gently caress.

https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/third-man-records-announces-vault-package-52-sleep-dopesmoker

And by gently caress I mean I absolutely don't need this but I totally want it.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 2, 2022