Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

All the mac market share numbers prove is that 90% of users are on lovely desktop enterprise dells that work or school bought for a dime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How much money would they actually lose if they came out with a fairly plain tower case, really.

Something maybe a little smaller than the last Mac Pro case. 4 3.5" bays, dual CPU option, 8 or 16 memory slots....

I mean if Dell can sell $600 XPS computers with these specs:
*Intel Core i7-6700 Quad-Core CPU
*8GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM (up to 64GB max)
*1TB 7200 RPM HDD
*NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB GPU

then Apple should be able to sell those for $1200

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i hope the mac ecosystem isn't completely destroyed by idiot designers because its really nice and plays really well with my iPhone

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The mini is dead

While this is true, it makes me very sad inside.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I still have faith that an updated mini will come out someday! Hackintosh stuff is looking better and better but I would rather not have to muck with anything when updates come out etc.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I have a IMac 5k that I love. I'm a writer and publisher and it's hands down the best machine for the job... but on the mobile side of things, the new laptops have me weary. Especially with the new Chromebooks being so much cheaper, and doing most mobile things I honestly need. If it wasn't for the fact that Scrivener and a good version of Fade In (best screen writing program out there) aren't on Chrome OS, my next laptop would most definitely be a higher end Chromebook with a retina like screen.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So out of the blue my 6 month rMBP is getting a thinking ring every 2 min while doing normal things like checking the forums. It has happened like twice (now 3) just from me opening this thread and trying to post. It is mostly in Safari when I am scrolling. Any advice? On a PC I would go to task manager and look for something using tons of RAM. Anything I am missing here...?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowmankilla posted:

So out of the blue my 6 month rMBP is getting a thinking ring every 2 min while doing normal things like checking the forums. It has happened like twice (now 3) just from me opening this thread and trying to post. It is mostly in Safari when I am scrolling. Any advice? On a PC I would go to task manager and look for something using tons of RAM. Anything I am missing here...?

Open Activity Monitor and look for something using tons of RAM?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I know you ca buy optical thunderbolt 2 cables, but has anyone heard anything concrete about availability of optical TB3?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Platystemon posted:

Yeah. I did that. Just Safari. I was just hoping I was missing something. I'll restart a few times and see if it fixes.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

KingEup posted:

I know you ca buy optical thunderbolt 2 cables, but has anyone heard anything concrete about availability of optical TB3?
It's in the works.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Get 👏 The 👏 S 👏 S 👏 D

I've got this same machine. Where can I get information on how to do this?

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Is there any place I can buy the 15" Macbook Pro w/ Radeon 460 and 16GB of RAM ASAP? Apple says it's out of stock and Best Buy doesn't appear to have the model.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1294031-REG/apple_z0sh_mlh426_bh_macbook_pro_15_inch_with.html

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Even Apple can't pretend that they aren't getting loving murdered on market share any more:

Mac has become an unmitigated disaster at Apple, it's really breathtaking.

lol you post this poo poo every 3 months dude. Stop giving a poo poo what Wall Street thinks about where apple is headed

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i hope the mac ecosystem isn't completely destroyed by idiot designers because its really nice and plays really well with my iPhone

You can't plug in the new iPhone into the new MacBook Pro.

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision
Hey Mac thread!

There's a local craigslist posting selling an early 2015 15" MBP for $2000 with the following:

quote:

Processor: 2.5GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048MB
Hard Drive: 512GB SSD

I asked for the battery stats and he sent me this:

Good deal, or eh?

This would be my first Mac - I'm a CS student without a decent portable machine so I'm trying to fix that as soon as I can. I've been thinking about a 13" but I figure I'll appreciate the screen space later.

I guess my main concern is that since he hasn't mentioned the warranty at all: I'm assuming it's lapsed and not eligible for an extension. But, I'm not sure how much of a necessity Apple Care would be here due to lack of experience with MBP in general.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well if anything stops working expect to pay like $800 for repairs since everything is integrated.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I've got this same machine. Where can I get information on how to do this?

Do you mean a Mac Mini or MacBook Pro?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There are no old version Retina Pros on the refurb store :smith:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Amphetama posted:

Hey Mac thread!

There's a local craigslist posting selling an early 2015 15" MBP for $2000 with the following:

I asked for the battery stats and he sent me this:

Good deal, or eh?

This would be my first Mac - I'm a CS student without a decent portable machine so I'm trying to fix that as soon as I can. I've been thinking about a 13" but I figure I'll appreciate the screen space later.

I guess my main concern is that since he hasn't mentioned the warranty at all: I'm assuming it's lapsed and not eligible for an extension. But, I'm not sure how much of a necessity Apple Care would be here due to lack of experience with MBP in general.

If he didn't mention AppleCare, he doesn't have AppleCare. The machine looks good, battery looks good, the ones going on eBay for ~$2k have AppleCare though. I'd try to talk him down a bit, but otherwise it's a perfectly fine machine for a CS student. Probably more power than you need, even. I'd buy that if I needed it.

Extended warranty isn't really a necessity on Mac portables, but sometimes issues crop up like the 2011 GPU fiasco which was an expensive fix, but Apple did eventually do a warranty extension program and people (like me!) got their money back on the fix.

Yeah, you'll be fine. Just search eBay for completed/sold listings for the same machine and use that in your negotiations if it's in your favour.

It'll take a while to get used to OS X, but you're really going to love the fact that it's UNIX under the hood.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

I kinda suspect, at the moment at least, they only care about Mac as a selling point for iPhone.
They're pumping masses of cash into SOC research, so expect them to tread water on MBPs until they have a laptop version ready.
It'll be the power PC generation again, where they can sell their hardware based on made-for-software / made-for-hardware integration. There'll be some truth to it probably, but largely they can break away from equivalent hardware comparisons making them look expensive in comparison.
They can probably even drop prices and maintain the same profit margins if they aren't paying Intel for hardware.

Not to mention they can drop new SOCs when they want to, and not have this awkward problem where they're releasing sixth generation chip systems when seventh are dropping.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that battery is doing better than my 2015 macbook pro with has something like 270 cycles so don't let that be what stops you

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

I kinda suspect, at the moment at least, they only care about Mac as a selling point for iPhone.
They're pumping masses of cash into SOC research, so expect them to tread water on MBPs until they have a laptop version ready.
It'll be the power PC generation again, where they can sell their hardware based on made-for-software / made-for-hardware integration. There'll be some truth to it probably, but largely they can break away from equivalent hardware comparisons making them look expensive in comparison.
They can probably even drop prices and maintain the same profit margins if they aren't paying Intel for hardware.

Not to mention they can drop new SOCs when they want to, and not have this awkward problem where they're releasing sixth generation chip systems when seventh are dropping.

Which sounds horrible until you consider everyone is moving away from Intel to ARM.

And as much as I hate the move from traditional MacBooks, yesterday at work I got cornered by a co-worker away from my desk when all I had was my iPad Pro. I was still able to pull data from OneNote, search for a PDF diagram faster than my MBP locates it, and even SSH into a Cisco switch. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. The only problems were a somewhat awkward SSH client and the lack of multiple monitors. Both of which will eventually improve.

Might as well get used to the future.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Do you mean a Mac Mini or MacBook Pro?

Sorry, should have specified. 2009 13" MBP. Already replaced the hard drive with like for like, upgraded RAM to 8 GB. Interested in the SSD to buy me some time until deciding what to do about an upgrade. Google shows a few options out there, but I'm uncertain what to go with.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sorry, should have specified. 2009 13" MBP. Already replaced the hard drive with like for like, upgraded RAM to 8 GB. Interested in the SSD to buy me some time until deciding what to do about an upgrade.
Samsung 850 EVO

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Samsung 850 EVO

Thanks very much for this! Suggestions as to where to get good instructions on how to do the exchange?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks very much for this! Suggestions as to where to get good instructions on how to do the exchange?

Super duper clone of old drive and then Ifixit guide?

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision

Pivo posted:

Stuff.

Gotcha, thanks - will do.

I'm assuming that those Ebay MBP's aren't a terrible idea so long as you get one with Apple Care? I'll try and get him to come down - if not, maybe I'll watch some Ebay postings, too. Apple Care sounds like something I'd appreciate.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I don't mean to be rude, but how do you all not see that Apple is pulling out of the desktop game altogether, and, quite possibly, the laptop game as well?

Desktops: Mac Pro is dead. Mac mini is dead. iMac it has been two years and now, for the first time since I can remember, they are advertising 3rd party displays instead of their own.

Laptops: loving touchbar on a pro?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I bet after Apple sells their Mac line to Lenovo, we'll see more regular updates.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I bet after Apple sells their Mac line to Lenovo, we'll see more regular updates.

Sure, and also easy back door access for hackers.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I don't even disagree with Apple, tbh. The iPad Pro is the way to go. You'll have a watch, a phone, and a tablet and be all set. That's the market they are after and it's the market most people will need. I guess I sort of worry about designers because I thought Mac Pros were the standard but I think that's a niche enough market where Apple will just expect you to move on.

I love my current set up and it feels like loving Her.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rear end Catchcum posted:

Laptops: loving touchbar on a pro?

If this is the headline problem, the MBP is in good health.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Krispy Kareem posted:

Which sounds horrible until you consider everyone is moving away from Intel to ARM.

And as much as I hate the move from traditional MacBooks, yesterday at work I got cornered by a co-worker away from my desk when all I had was my iPad Pro. I was still able to pull data from OneNote, search for a PDF diagram faster than my MBP locates it, and even SSH into a Cisco switch. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. The only problems were a somewhat awkward SSH client and the lack of multiple monitors. Both of which will eventually improve.

Might as well get used to the future.

How does this setup fare on the task of taking 100 files that make up a project you are working on and arranging them in folders?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iCloud Drive being App based as opposed to Project Based is its biggest flaw. You can't even do Folders deeper than one level.

I have to sort all PDFs in the Preview folder and it makes exporting stuff from Pages as PDF and keeping track of everything a nightmare.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

I don't mean to be rude, but how do you all not see that Apple is pulling out of the desktop game altogether, and, quite possibly, the laptop game as well?

There's too much value in 'the apple ecosystem' and it's too much of their feels-good-USP for them to pull out. Reinvent, perhaps, but not pull out.

Whether people want what they're selling or not remains to be seen but I'd struggle to see them planning to stop altogether.

Even on a basic business level, if they did that they'd become a one-product company (iPhone) and that's a bad place to be with more and more people realising that smartphone upgrades offer less and less every year.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

iCloud Drive being App based as opposed to Project Based is its biggest flaw. You can't even do Folders deeper than one level.

I have to sort all PDFs in the Preview folder and it makes exporting stuff from Pages as PDF and keeping track of everything a nightmare.

Can that app be used offline despite its branding? I'm not interested in uploading my sensitive documents to some nebulous cloud server. The last time I tried this iOS didn't have an equivalent for Finder.app. Is the logic that the world has moved past the concept of files?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's the whole point of iCloud Drive, that it's online.

iOS has never had Finder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Platystemon posted:

So this is even worse today. Something called kernel_task is using over 700 mb or ram. Any idea what that is and how to stop it? Its also using 8% of the cpu for 4 hours?