Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Russian Doll is great!

Stranger Things is worth a watch.

There's probably some other stuff I've forgotten, but I'm stopping my sub after this month until something else comes around I'm interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1552278883327549445?s=21&t=T9ZlIEoj18K84lX-yvj4Sw

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, the whole thing is out, I'm just pacing myself.

If you fancy Bizarroworld absurdity, Resident Evil has the always wonderful Lance Reddick playing Albert loving Wesker as a concerned dad, smiter of bullies and their parents at school disciplinary meetings, and warning CEOs their new product is not safe to use. And depending where in the world you are, Better Call Saul is wrapping up on it, and I've been kinda digging Russian Doll so far.

Um, that's about it.

I just watched the first episode of Sandman and it was so dense and so unlike other streaming shows I thought that I had actually seen 3 eps. Wow.

Gonna check out resident evil next, max this month out baybeee

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Half of these shows are awful and there is no Umbrella academy, f is for family, or The Kingdom.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 8, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Umbrella Academy had a middling first season which did the annoying thing most streaming shows do in which the entire first season is just a set up for the second season. Second season was better though.
Bojack is excellent and each season knocks it out of the park. It also sticks the landing really well.
OITNB ended up spinning it's wheels and probably should have only been three season long.
Haven't seen Big Mouth but always heard good things about it.
Enjoyed first season of Russian Doll but felt it was a complete story in one season so no real desire to see season 2.
American Vandal is hilarious.

That's my report.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Enjoyed first season of Russian Doll but felt it was a complete story in one season so no real desire to see season 2.
It's totally unnecessary but still really good and works off the first season really well. Give it a shot!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Going through that list, my wife and I watched most of what this guy listed. Ill do a quick rundown of their choices...

20) Sex Education: It's not bad. Good cast and good music. The stylistic choices make me constantly question where and when it's supposed to take place but it is an okay comedy.

19) The Haunting of Hill House: Really good horror. Spooked the Hell out of us when we watched it. Ending is a bit meh though.

18) The Baby-Sitters Club: Never seen it or the books it's based on.

17) Lady Dynamite: This one is weird. Like it's really a strange, absurdist comedy. I know it's trite to say about a comedy but you will either find this hilarious or not get it at all. If you want to watch it, try an episode but bail if it's not for you since it's unlikely that you will start to get it the more you watch.

16) The Crown: The wife liked it. I won't watch it as an Irish person since it's about the British monarchy. But I accept other people might not be hamstrung by this.

15) Dear White People: The wife loved it. I only watched small bits. The premise seems good, and the bits I saw seemed funny. Some good clashes between issues of "idealism versus going with the greater good."

14) Squid Games: Haven't watched it. Wife doesn't like the premise. I love the Battle Royale stuff, so I'm going to try watching it on my lunch breaks.

13) Stranger Things: Really good. Season 1 and 4 are notably better than seasons 2 and 3. Like S2 and S3 arent bad, but S1 and S4 are just better. And your age/nostalgia for the 80's will improve your love of the show. But really well put together and a good watch.

12) When They See Us: This is one of those shows we keep saying we will watch, then deciding the subject matter is too heavy and go with something else instead. Will probably watch it at some point.

11) Mindhunter: Really dark and atmospheric. Great show. Word of warning, everytime the cast went to a prison to interview Ed Kemper, our dog would go nuts and run around the house barking. No idea why. Just be warned. Also for some reason I always called the show Bumhunter instead of Mindhunter which made me giggle.

10) Unreakable Kimmy Schmidt: I loved 30 Rock. I liked this. At times when the show was on fire it was great. But it got a bit meandering for reasons I could never put my finger on. Afterwards my brother told me that the main actress had two babies during the show and it does explain some things. If you like Tina Fay's sort of absurdist comedy with deep callbacks, you'll love this.

09) One Day at a Time: I can genuinely say I have never seen or heard of this show.

08) Unbelievable: I think my wife watched all on a holiday she went on with her sister. She said it was dark and tough viewing but really good. I might be getting it mixed up with another show.

07) Master of None: Watched the first two seasons, since I liked Aziz Ansari on Parks and Rec. Liked it at the time, it was really pretty.
Discovered that Aziz is a bit of a creep, which made me not want to rewatch it or see the 3rd season.
The wife and I did constantly keep calling the Pandemic "The Sickening" after the big sci-fi movie that Aziz gets cut out of in the show.

06) I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robin's.
(Looks at image of this show.)
This isn't a real show. You are trying to fool me. You won't trick me.

05) Big Mouth. Really funny with a great cast. You need to be able to tolerate "embarrassment comedy" but it's good.

04) American Vandal.
You know, I keep seeing this be recommended for me, but I have never watched it.

03) Russian Doll.
A really, really smart sci-fi show with dialogue that is so sharp and fast, you'll want to put on subtitles so you don't miss some of the barbs. Really good.

02) Orange is the New Black.
This went from being required watching for my wife and us to "meh." by the end. Tey the first season and see how you feel.

01) Bojack Horseman.
This is so good. Has some places where it's a little (waves hand) but so much of the rest of it is so good. Between deep callbacks, biting satire, tounge twisters and just gags about wordplay, this show trusts it's audience enough that it will throw loads of jokes in between some really deep plots. One of the best shows on Netflix.

Shows not on the list I would consider good: Glow (becomes great if you are any way a fan of wrestling) 13 Reasons Why, Archive 81, Another Life (trashy and dumb. But fun.)
Edit: Forgot Umbrella Academy.
Loved the first season, meh on season 2. Season 3 was good. It has great soundtrack. I get annoyed how all the super powered characters seem to find fighting people with guns so threatening.

Kobra Kai: loving Aces! I except that this is very dependent on if you watched the Karate Kid movies, but I think even divorced from that this is a great show about second chances and martial arts.
As Ralph Machio said "this show isn't fancy cuisine. But it is an excellent hamburger and fries." And that really sums it up.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 8, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i watch so much poo poo i can't really keep track of who put what out but Squid Game was good and despite it being written by Warren Ellis Castlevania was good too. i liked Altered Carbon s1 (s2 not so much). and the Fear Street trilogy was good but it's a lesbian love story so i was predetermined to think more highly of it

^^ oh yeah i liked Glow too. and obviously Stranger Things is a big one and mindhunter was pretty decent

site fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 8, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I haven't seen the 2nd season but the 1st season of American Vandal is loving perfect. At first it doesn't seem like a mockumentary can sustain itself based on a very simple joke but I was hooked the whole way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Black Mirror is good for most of it. It's an anthology, so you can just watch whatever interests you in whatever order and there's no throughline. Hell, I think if you start watching, it just plays unwatched episodes at random.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Question IRL posted:

06) I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robin's.
(Looks at image of this show.)
This isn't a real show. You are trying to fool me. You won't trick me.

It's not a show. It's just hours and hours of footage of real people falling out of coffins at funerals. There's no explanation. Just body after body busting out of poo poo wood and hitting pavement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I Think You Should Leave misses way more than it hits for me, but an episode is 15 minutes so if it misses, oh well, onto the next.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh forgot about Haunting on Hill House. There are three seasons with each season being a different horror story. Hill House is the first, the remake of Turning of the Screw but under a different name is the second and Midnight Mass is the third. All seasons are good but Midnight Mass was my faver personally.
Altered Carbon season 1 was fine but I thought it really found its grove in season 2 so of course there probably won't be a third season.
Mindhunter season 1 is pretty good but season 2 is legit near great. First season is more like an origin story focusing more on the characters than an actual story and the second season in the opposite focusing more on the story than the characters.
Glow was fun too, but we kind of stopped watching after season 2. Should go back to it.
Master of None had a really good first season, and the second season had some solid episodes but for me it just felt like Ansari's wish fulfillment show, and got up it's own arse by the end.

Also season one of Sweet Tooth (which I believe is getting a second season) is very....sweet and less depressing than the comics. I recommend giving that one a shot.

All this being said Netflix still kind of sucks. They are obsessed with original content to the point of only half committing to anything and trigger happy with cancellations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Besides the things listed, there are some good animations I liked Shera and Kipo. (Karen Fukuhara rules.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh yeah i forgot those were Netflix, Kipo especially is good

The Old Guard movie is worth a watch too imo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Madkal posted:

Oh forgot about Haunting on Hill House. There are three seasons with each season being a different horror story. Hill House is the first, the remake of Turning of the Screw but under a different name is the second and Midnight Mass is the third. All seasons are good but Midnight Mass was my faver personally.

While it's by the same creator, he doesn't consider Midnight Mass part of the Haunting series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Midnight Mass was listed separately from Haunting of Hill House when I watched it. If they’ve tried to reorganize Flannigan stuff into a “series,” that’s really funny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also Midnight Mass is extremely good. Even or perhaps especially when it starts to border on farce/comedy in the last episode.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
drat Santa Clarita Diet hasn't even been mentioned yet. Netflix does have some good stuff I guess

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

For all the talk about Netflix being crap, this last lage has named a good six months worth of quality entertainment that you can watch on NF.

If you are diving in periodically, you can get a lot of great shows to watch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've just had a run of really good stuff I've watched with Prey, Bevis and Butt-Head and Harley Quinn, but i'm paralized at what to watch next, as I don't want to end up watching something meh. But everything I'm hearing about Sandman and Paper Girls seems to be suggesting that both of them are real good too.

Also, I guess Gaiman owns the rights to Sandman? That's why its not Netflix and not on some WB only Streaming platform?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
On Netflix I liked the movie Spectral. For series Mindhunters was excellent. I agree that Umbrella Academy seasons 1 and 3 are hot poo poo (Footloose dance off? Okay, I get it.) and Sweet Tooth, Arcane, and Locke and Keye were great. Resident Evil was weird but fun

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

twistedmentat posted:

Also, I guess Gaiman owns the rights to Sandman? That's why its not Netflix and not on some WB only Streaming platform?

Nah, it’s all WBs but more like they want to keep him sweet and on board, and couldn’t get it off the ground without him this last 20 years, so they let him sort out production et al as he saw fit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Nah, it’s all WBs but more like they want to keep him sweet and on board, and couldn’t get it off the ground without him this last 20 years, so they let him sort out production et al as he saw fit.

Yeah WB owns all the characters but they want to keep Neil happy. He explained it in a twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1322155656409993219

But HBO/HBO Max passed on The Sandman because it would've been too expensive, so Netflix took it instead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah cool. Gaiman has always seemed like someone who was smart enought to not get cheated for his work.

Also I love his shutting down of people complaining Lucifer is played by Gwendolyn Christie by pointing out that Lucifer is meant to be Bowie, but Bowies dead so you can't cast him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I thought she was fine, there just wasn't anything special about the performance. Just kind of lacked a certain sinuous grace I expected. Though Gaiman's interpretation isn't as fresh as Carey's so that might be coloring my expectation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There is supposed to be a Grendel series starting on Netflix this year, but I’m a little concerned because I haven’t heard anything since February and the year only has like three months left. The guy they got for Hunter Rose is perfect based on his YouTube sizzle reel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've been worried about that since the moment they announced it. I still feel like they're going to try and turn Hunter into a hero/anti-hero. They could just come up with a whole new story and that's fine, but it's not really the same character if they do that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess it depends somewhat on Wagner’s involvement, as you can see his attitude toward the character change as he gets older. The early Hunter Rose is charismatic like Diabolik, but by Behold the Devil, he’s boring because he’s so narcissistic and obsessed with crime. The central mystery of the story amounts to nothing because he doesn’t care about it. Those The Shadow comics he’s in play out the same way.

It’s weird because unless it’s going to be a documentary made by Christine Spar, there’s not much to the story as written. Hunter Rose has the least amount of story out of all of them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I still would have preferred a Mage to a Grendel series

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah WB owns all the characters but they want to keep Neil happy. He explained it in a twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1322155656409993219

But HBO/HBO Max passed on The Sandman because it would've been too expensive, so Netflix took it instead.

Doesn't include Jon Peters wanting to make a Sandman movie with a giant spider in the third act. 2/10.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just adapt the Grendel/Batman crossover

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Finished episode two of Sandman and I am going to be extremely nitpicky here but one thing that is throwing me off a bit is Dream's voice. It's a weird thing but when I read the comics I always thought he would sound slightly unhuman considering that different speech bubbles and font was used for him as opposed to regular people, so I would read it with his voice having some deeper echoy sounds, but in the show he sounds....human. It is tiny thing to nitpick and hasn't really taken me fully out of the show but it was just something I was expecting to be different than from how it ended up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I still would have preferred a Mage to a Grendel series

I think most would, and I say that even as someone that likes Grendel more. Mage just is more suited to a show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Somehow I missed that The Hood was going to be Ironheart and Anthony Ramos is playing him.

And there's pictures.

https://twitter.com/ironhnews/status/1556742735570288640

Am I reading too much into the labels on those barriers or am I right to appreciate the silly reference?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Maybe it'll look good in motion? As it stands that looks sorta like someone's "Assassin's Creed in the Galactic Senate" cosplay

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

theironjef posted:

Maybe it'll look good in motion? As it stands that looks sorta like someone's "Assassin's Creed in the Galactic Senate" cosplay

Yeah they'll touch it up with CGI.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the hood looks stupid in the comics so they're just being accurate

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The Hood is just some goober in a cape, so it looks pretty accurate. It's actually fancier than he usually looks.

edit; added picture

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Weird choice for Ironheart but I guess I don't actually know that much about her. Have they interacted much in the comics? Or maybe they're doing like a half adaptation of Infamous Iron Man