Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still remember that magical day I realised a smartphone with Google Maps was basically a video game HUD for real life.

It didn't make my navigational skills decay, because they were already complete garbage.

real life was so much more immersive when you had to talk to NPCs to find your way around. these modern quest markers take all the fun out of real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think the last demo I played was Resident Evil 2 and it worked perfectly because it made me want the full game and they got a sale out of it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

!Klams posted:

My controversial opinion then is that small game worlds are more exciting than sprawling ones.

Yakuza increases activity density within Kabukicho rather than increasing the size, which over the course of several games lets the player know the streets before they even start the game. I know where Pink Street is and how to get there, I know the champion district, etc. Stuff changes over time with businesses closing and stuff, but we get to know that relatively tiny area and it can still hold a whole drat game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

last night i went to bed thinking about baroque and was like "man that was a weird, kinda cool game, i wish it was on the switch so i'd actually finish it but it was a really niche title so it'll never happen" and this morning i woke up to news that there will be a (possibly japan-only) re-release of baroque on the switch

i might have special powers but only as they relate to obscure old games

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

last night i went to bed thinking about baroque and was like "man that was a weird, kinda cool game, i wish it was on the switch so i'd actually finish it but it was a really niche title so it'll never happen" and this morning i woke up to news that there will be a (possibly japan-only) re-release of baroque on the switch

The other day I posted in the Steam thread that I really wanted a Tony Hawk game on PC and within twelve hours the THPS 1 and 2 remake was announced. Do we have to have some kind of Highlander “there can only be one” battle?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Metal Gear Solid 2 was an awesome demo because it just primed everyone even more for the reveal of Raiden, one of the cooler video game moves.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The other day I posted in the Steam thread that I really wanted a Tony Hawk game on PC and within twelve hours the THPS 1 and 2 remake was announced. Do we have to have some kind of Highlander “there can only be one” battle?

final destination fox only maximum items

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

final destination fox only maximum items

Maximum items is the best way to play Smash. Gimme that chaos.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uhh demos still exist though :confused:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate it when developers use arbitrary capitalization to describe features in the game, this is the latest update for The Long Dark:

quote:

VISTA SURVEYS

Hard to find Polaroids in the world indicate locations that offer sweeping Vista views of a region. Get to those locations and Survey them to reveal the majority of a region’s map!

IMPROVED CHARCOAL SURVEY

The Charcoal Survey action now reveals an enhanced radius on the Map. Surveying from higher altitudes now increases how much of the Map is revealed.
it's "the map," not "the Map," god drat it

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Baroque is one of the most bizarre rogue-like things I've ever played and I'd love to play it on Switch too. The music is excellent!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Baroque is one of the most bizarre rogue-like things I've ever played and I'd love to play it on Switch too. The music is excellent!

hell yeah! the actual gameplay felt really good to me too - it was just the right balance of smooth and weird jank to make a compelling feeling experience to me

i'm pretty sure i still remember how to advance the plot a ton, and i'm going to list it here in a spoiler because my memories of this game are super hazy and abstract and i'm kinda hype:

wake up, go to coffin man's tutorial dungeon, toss your best item to Baghead when you get back to the surface, take the gun from the Archangel, enter the tower, go to the bottom, shoot God, wake up, enter the tower, go to the bottom, hug God, wake up, if longneck has buried himself alive kill him for his idea sephirah, give his idea sephirah to the giant angel guarding the door, enter the tower, go to the bottom, shoot or hug god, wake up, go in the door guarded by the giant angel, go in the tower, give you (or your clone's?) idea sephirah to someone in the tower...........and then i've got nothing, that's about where my last save was

what a weird game

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

If my GPS didn't rotate I'd probably end up dead in a ditch if video games are any indication.

so like when you use a paper map are you constantly rotating it to face the same way you are facing :confused:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Uhh demos still exist though :confused:

they still exist but they are far less common than they used to be

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Earwicker posted:

so like when you use a paper map are you constantly rotating it to face the same way you are facing :confused:

When was the last time a human being used a paper map

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Earwicker posted:

Good lord we're doomed as a species.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i can already tell it's going to be tremendously obnoxious with timers sooner than later but TES: Blades has been a decent enough free timekiller during slow meetings and stuff so far

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

games shouldnt even have interactive maps.

You wanna find that temple? Learn how to tell directions yourself.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The real answer to the minimap debate is that if you struggle with either then something is wrong with you because plenty of us can handle both without getting upset, hth

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

like a game should have maps, but it shouldnt have a giant icon where you are, with what direction your pointing. learn the landscape, learn how to navigate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Manager Hoyden posted:

I used one in 2015 because I was working with a Luddite who would get furious if people used GPS. It was mega annoying.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

PinheadSlim posted:

The real answer to the minimap debate is that if you struggle with either then something is wrong with you because plenty of us can handle both without getting upset, hth

We've moved to the outrage to the outrage phase of the mini map conversation.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Earwicker posted:

they still exist but they are far less common than they used to be

Typically people rotate themselves for the same effect, but yes, matching what your eyes see to the direction the landmarks are in on the map is an important part of orienting yourself.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

i did the travel team for the census and went to very remote places that only had the most crude paper maps. It was a blast, and I had to take away map privileges from my partner since they couldn't figure out which way was north (both in real life and on the map)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

like a game should have maps, but it shouldnt have a giant icon where you are, with what direction your pointing. learn the landscape, learn how to navigate.
GR:Breakpoint has this as a option, with quests giving you directions via landmarks.

Unfortunately, the game bombed for a reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I used to have to use an atlas for work to navigate my entire state before GPS was a thing, and back then you had to memorize your route more, because obviously you can't drive around with an atlas in front of your face, but yes I would also spin it around when planning routes to use my own position as a point of reference. I don't know why this is so shocking to people. Do people seriously use GPS that doesn't use the direction you are heading as the point of reference? Is that even an option? That would be insane and impossible to follow.

And the GPS ditch thing was a joke. Calm down you doofuses.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

d3lness posted:

The answer is simple: Idiots paying full price or more for games long before they're released. Demos don't need to exist anymore.

I read an article a long time ago that publishers stopped releasing demos because they were more likely to harm sales than help them. And they cost time and money to produce. If you're a marketing executive it's a lot safer to spend money on other forms of advertisement that don't rely on your game being good

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Lazyhound posted:

GR:Breakpoint has this as a option, with quests giving you directions via landmarks.

Unfortunately, the game bombed for a reason.

I think assass odyssey also has an option to turn off a lot of stuff, but I can't remember.

One of the most fun things I've done in a videogame was get my Arma squad lost because I thought Hill A was Hill B, and opened fire on friendlies and completely botched the mission.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I read an article a long time ago that publishers stopped releasing demos because they were more likely to harm sales than help them. And they cost time and money to produce. If you're a marketing executive it's a lot safer to spend money on other forms of advertisement that don't rely on your game being good

I can definitely say demos are as likely to unsell me on a game as they are to sell me on it. Even when I didn’t dislike the demo. Sometimes I’ll play one and be like “that was cool but I’m good”

Especially with single player games. I think multiplayer free weekends/betas work a lot better because it gives you time to get hooked

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does it take a lot to develop and release a demo? Just remove the last 50-90% of the game and insert a window or something that says "buy now to keep playing"

Trials of Mana did the perfect Demo. DQ11 too. And DQB/2.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the only demo that i've ever played that made me grab a game (as opposed to a demo i grabbed for something i already wanted, or a demo that turned me off from the game altogether) is just cause 2

within thirty seconds of starting the demo i'd grappled myself to the side of a propane tank, which i shot, which rocketed me up into the stratosphere where i bailed out at the last second before it exploded. it was the single most ridiculous thing i'd ever seen in a game up to that point and made me straight-up preorder it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I think assass odyssey also has an option to turn off a lot of stuff, but I can't remember.

One of the most fun things I've done in a videogame was get my Arma squad lost because I thought Hill A was Hill B, and opened fire on friendlies and completely botched the mission.

Odyssey's way of handling it is neat, if a bit overstated. Instead of immediately getting map markers, you get a vague description of where you should be, then you find that on the map, and go that way until a marker shows.

Not quite as hands-off as it was sold as, but still a fun way of handling it.

Also, this is going a ways back, but Breath of the Wild definitely started as a Zelda game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk5swSyJ5zQ

Frankly, I would love to have this version of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah this

Hollow Knight's map system is cool, they're hand drawn by a dude that you buy them from, and your character will update them by hand as you discover new locations but the update doesn't occur until you find a bench to sit at and your character will actually make drawing noises. And you can buy different pins to mark specific stuff like vendors and benches but also you can add your own pins wherever you want

Your character's location isn't shown on the map unless you use one of your precious few ability notches to turn on that feature

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i don't like that style. yeah, flavor is cool, flavor is important, but maps in metroidvanias exist to facilitate player navigation in a video game. i don't want to sit on a drat bench just to draw my map, and i don't want to say "well i'm probably about... here" i just want the game to loving tell me because otherwise it's just stupid busy work.

that's like giving the player a hud that lists health and your current active ability but the information provided is only 70% accurate

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Piracy is the true way to demo anyways.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

i hate it when developers use arbitrary capitalization to describe features in the game, this is the latest update for The Long Dark:
it's "the map," not "the Map," god drat it
Not quite the same, but I hadn't heard of the game Maneater (where you play as a shark) until recently.

I just love stupid features lists like the ones on the Amazon page for it:

quote:

Eat, explore and evolve in an open world action RPG!
Feed on humans, consume nutrients and find rare Shark loot to evolve past what nature intended.

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 21, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

Does it take a lot to develop and release a demo? Just remove the last 50-90% of the game and insert a window or something that says "buy now to keep playing"

A lot of developers say that it's non-trivial.

Like say that you do the easiest thing possible and just make the game unplayable after a certain point; your demo is now the same size as the full game. And if players figure out how to circumvent your changes then you've basically released the full game for free, so that's a risk.

Alternatively, you can spend developer time on releasing a separate executable with a subset of assets. Development time that could have been spent making the game better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

specifically speaking, both large and indie devs have learned over the past decade that demos significantly REDUCE your sales.

but you know what actually does increase sales, though you'd never believe it to hear? consumers now treat the refund window as the demo period, but they either like the game enough to keep it and never play it because >backlog; or they are too lazy to file for it when refunds are offered lmao. so it turns out, being pro-consumer is in fact absolutely fantastic for sales, thanks to human laziness and apathy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

i don't like that style. yeah, flavor is cool, flavor is important, but maps in metroidvanias exist to facilitate player navigation in a video game. i don't want to sit on a drat bench just to draw my map, and i don't want to say "well i'm probably about... here" i just want the game to loving tell me because otherwise it's just stupid busy work.

that's like giving the player a hud that lists health and your current active ability but the information provided is only 70% accurate

The map does facilitate player navigation. If you can navigate with a map then it's like the game gives you a bonus ability notch. If you need perfect positional knowledge like a GPS then that's fine too, that only costs 1 (refundable) notch.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i mean, i'm also a believer in infinite skill slots by design soooooooo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

specifically speaking, both large and indie devs have learned over the past decade that demos significantly REDUCE your sales.

thats not surprising. Nerds are bad with money, and will buy a game and never play it, or play it once.

I remember there was a xbox game with an achievement for literally pressing A to go to the main menu after starting the game, and something like 90% of players had it. Which meant that one out of ten of the people who bought the game put it in their xbox disk drive, started it, and then never played it. And that doesnt even include the people who bought the game and never even put it in the disk drive.