Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

KingFisher posted:

Just a quick question. Has anyone ever seen a engagement ring setting that looks like rose petals around a setting for a diamond?

Wexford Jewelers' Rose Collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I just got engaged a few weeks ago, and my fiance and I are looking at planning the wedding from a distance. We live in DC, I'm from Houston, and we're going to get married in Austin. We have about 15 months, so we're in the preliminary stages here.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for locations in Austin (outdoor/Lake Travis, maybe a vineyard or something), and if anyone knows of any kosher caterers in the Austin area.

It's strange getting married in a place that neither of us knows very well. We're going to get a local planner and head down there a few times (and my fiance plans and runs events for a living), but any kind of head start or first-hand experience would be great. Thanks!

Also, obligatory ring picture:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Protip: Do NOT let anything wedding-related get outside your control. Ceding stuff to parents might seem like a good idea since it's a lot of work, but it's not worth it.

Tonight at my rehearsal dinner, one of my friends who I haven't seen in years and I'm absolutely thrilled was able to come to the wedding, brought a guest. He had only RSVPed for himself.

Despite the fact that:

A.) His guest is also awesome
B.) He could've brought 10 guests for all I care; I'm just glad he could come, and
C.) A restaurant that is serving 65+ people can handle serving a 66th with little to no additional effort, and they can find an extra chair,

My mom (who planned the rehearsal dinner, and I was foolish enough to let her) pitched an absolute poo poo fit to me about HOW WE CANNOT POSSIBLY HANDLE THIS MINUTE CHANGE OF DETAIL AND HOW RUDE HE IS AND IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY BUT HE IS SO RUDE, and it was 100% obvious what we were "discussing" to my friend and his guest. While she stalked off to do god knows what ("fixing" this situation literally took 15 seconds of me saying to the bartender 'Hey, we've got one extra; can you sit them at table so-and-so and hook me up with an extra dinner'?), my friend walked over to me and started apologizing.

I told him in no uncertain terms that he was welcome, his guest was welcome, and if anyone says otherwise, they can gently caress right off.

Doesn't change the fact that I feel like poo poo now for even subjecting him to that, and I'm sure he feels awkward as hell.

Way to go, mom.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is it somewhat normal for the bride's guests to outnumber the groom's? Being a typical goon, and due to things like a limited budget/40 people max capacity at our venue/shyness, I only invited 10 people. She was going to do the same, but not so surprisingly we now have 39 guests. Even with less than two weeks to go she's still adding people.

I figured my male friends couldn't care less about weddings, so why not let my fiancee invite everyone she wants even if it makes me look, well, goony.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Anyone have any suggestions on bridal books for recording stuff about the wedding? All my information on guests, costs, etc. is just in spreadsheets because I couldn't be bothered at the time to make it pretty. But now that it's over, I'd like to record everything in one place. Everything I've seen in stores is overly complicated with a lot of extra planning information that I no longer need and don't really want cluttering my records for posterity.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

leidend posted:

Is it somewhat normal for the bride's guests to outnumber the groom's? Being a typical goon, and due to things like a limited budget/40 people max capacity at our venue/shyness, I only invited 10 people. She was going to do the same, but not so surprisingly we now have 39 guests. Even with less than two weeks to go she's still adding people.

I figured my male friends couldn't care less about weddings, so why not let my fiancee invite everyone she wants even if it makes me look, well, goony.

Too late now, but it might have made sense to make a list of 20 people each. Anyone on both lists becomes a "free guest". So say 10 were on both lists, that means they don't count for either and you have 15 each total. That's another 5 people each, still adding up to 40 in total. If one can't fill their side, they can then pass it on.

With guests we added everyone we wanted to without looking at how many from each side. But as her family have to travel internationally it was more like "throw them all in then add who i want and worrk from those numbers". Luckily it fell inside the budget, and while I had slightly more guests it was relatively balanced.

The half each then don't count the ones in common is, however, how we are doing the music for the reception. Ipod playlist, 2 hours 30 minutes each. Comparing my 3,30 hour list and her 5 hour list we had half an hour in common, so 2,45 each. I have to get rid of anoter 15 minutes, while she has a couple of hours or something to trim. Months and months to get still though. If we have a limited amount of anything, be it guests, cakes or music, it's how we'll solve it if it doesn't organically fall into place though.

Edit: Yes that's goony as gently caress. But then we are getting married on May the Fourth...

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

leidend posted:

Most weddings I have been to seem to favor the bride over the groom in guest count so I don't think it's that weird. Hell, for our wedding in two weeks my groom will only have 2 people out of 50 coming for his side. That's probably the most lopsided I've ever seen things. We were hoping more of his family would come but can't say we were very surprised when they all bailed out at the last minute.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
For us, it was my husband's side that had more guests. But I don't think it's uncommon for one side to have more guests than the other. I have never really seen it completely balanced at any wedding I've been to.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I probably had 2/3 of the guests at our wedding. Wasn't really a big deal--everyone that we wanted to invite was invited. Just happened that I had more people that I wanted to invite.

That annoying little snafu at the rehearsal dinner notwithstanding, everything went great yesterday. Now I'm Mr. FairGame :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Masonity posted:

Too late now, but it might have made sense to make a list of 20 people each.

You said a lot of words but didn't really say why 20 people each is more important than inviting people who actually want to attend.

But that's ok, what's done is done and I was just curious how common it is. I like her friends too, so that helps.

Music was no issue for us since we found 90+ songs that we both liked with ease. The DJ had a great excel spreadsheet with 2,000+ songs and links to the youtubes for each song.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 6, 2010

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

leidend posted:

You said a lot of words but didn't really say why 20 people each is more important than inviting people who actually want to attend.

But that's ok, what's done is done and I was just curious how common it is. I like her friends too, so that helps.

Our wedding guests were mostly made up by my husband's side of the family. I have an incredibly small family, and most of them live too far away to attend, so I think I had an uncle+family and cousin+family show up, so about 6 people for me outside immediate family (not counting friends, which was pretty evenly split). My husband's family is much larger and very local, so they made up most of our guest list (which only consisted of about 80 people).

So imbalances are very common, for many reasons. All that matters is that you both are happy with your decision (and it sounds like you are!) and that no one you really care about is upset (sounds like they're not!). Congrats!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

leidend posted:

Music was no issue for us since we found 90+ songs that we both liked with ease. The DJ had a great excel spreadsheet with 2,000+ songs and links to the youtubes for each song.

If you don't each have 20 people who want to attend, there really isn't a problem. Pass those slots over. I assumed you had more than 40 people / more than 20 each who would want to attend / who you wanted to attend, and had to whittle it down to 40. In any other scenario it naturally, organically fixes itself. If you only want 5 people, let her go hog wild with the other 35. Why not?

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

Sub Par posted:

I just got engaged a few weeks ago, and my fiance and I are looking at planning the wedding from a distance. We live in DC, I'm from Houston, and we're going to get married in Austin. We have about 15 months, so we're in the preliminary stages here.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for locations in Austin (outdoor/Lake Travis, maybe a vineyard or something), and if anyone knows of any kosher caterers in the Austin area.

It's strange getting married in a place that neither of us knows very well. We're going to get a local planner and head down there a few times (and my fiance plans and runs events for a living), but any kind of head start or first-hand experience would be great. Thanks!

My friend is getting married at Laguna Gloria art museum this weekend, it's beautiful, and right on Lake Austin.

Downtown the Palm Door or The Allen House are both great for hosting events.

I haven't been to any weddings on Lake Travis, but this list might be helpful:
http://www.austinweddingblog.com/2009/03/lake-travis-wedding-venues-2009.html

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So um, what if you didn't plan to have dancing, then at the last minute got a DJ and a dancefloor, and now everyone expects you to have a first dance, and you are white as gently caress and can't dance if your life depends on it, and your wedding is in 10 days?

What do I dooooooooooooo

I was thinking 7th grade style slowdance with the DJ getting everyone to bumrush the floor after the most painful 30 seconds of my life?

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

leidend posted:

So um, what if you didn't plan to have dancing, then at the last minute got a DJ and a dancefloor, and now everyone expects you to have a first dance, and you are white as gently caress and can't dance if your life depends on it, and your wedding is in 10 days?

What do I dooooooooooooo

I was thinking 7th grade style slowdance with the DJ getting everyone to bumrush the floor after the most painful 30 seconds of my life?

We taught ourselves to waltz with just a few hours practice. It wasn't that hard...until I found out that the lining of my dress was a bit too long and I couldn't avoid tripping on it. Then everyone had a good laugh, most of all me. :D We thought about cutting our song short too, but I'm happy we didn't.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

leidend posted:

What do I dooooooooooooo

You're not being judged on your dancing ability. My wife and I did "All I Want Is You" by U2 and literally just moved slowly in a circle for like 3 minutes.

You'll be fine.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Or just dance super goofy like a couple of ten year olds pretending to waltz with lots of twirls and dips and whatnot. It looks silly but it's fun and will give your guests a warm chuckle cause you look cute doing it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Hi wedding goons. Curious as to you guys thoughts here. I proposed to my girlfriend in April, we've set a date for October next year. Anyway, we've been shopping for my wedding band (hers came in a set with the engagement ring) and this is the one that I fell in love with. I think it looks awesome, and my dad agrees (his looks similar), but my mother and my girlfriend both hate it. They think it doesn't look very masculine. I realize this is all very subjective, but I'm curious as to y'alls thoughts.

Cota Froise
May 12, 2009

Did you really just post that?
I don't think it looks very masculine either, but you're right, that is totally subjective. Besides, if it's what you want and within your budget, remember it's you who's going to be wearing it forever and ever.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~
I also don't think it looks particular masculine, but it doesn't look girly. It's pretty much unisex.

The ring symbolizes your relationship together, so perhaps a compromise to something that you're both happy with. Maybe instead of round cut diamonds, have emerald cut ones, and keep the channel setting? Or instead of the channel setting have a hammer-set ring?

Both of us have had a say in both of our respective rings.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

leidend posted:

What do I dooooooooooooo

Crap like this is why I just want to elope.

Or be really drunk for most of my wedding. I told the lady that it's not her or the getting married part that will drive me to drink, it's every other single loving aspect that'll kill my liver.

wiz crack
Jan 18, 2008
OK so, here's my dilemma. About the whole best man thing, basically, there's a strong group of 4 of us. We've been very close friends for over 10 years, and I honestly couldn't pick one 'best man' out of the whole 3 of them. Has anyone had experience with '3 best men'? How do I go about this?? Funnily enough one of them posts on here, and if you see this, you nugget, don't tell the others. Ha ha.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

wiz crack posted:

OK so, here's my dilemma. About the whole best man thing, basically, there's a strong group of 4 of us. We've been very close friends for over 10 years, and I honestly couldn't pick one 'best man' out of the whole 3 of them. Has anyone had experience with '3 best men'? How do I go about this?? Funnily enough one of them posts on here, and if you see this, you nugget, don't tell the others. Ha ha.
Do you even have to have a best man? I don't know.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

wiz crack posted:

'3 best men'?

3 best men seems very excessive. I was one of two Best men for my brother...I made sure he made it to the wedding (idiot went drinking the night before) and did things like the wedding stationary, menus, etc, and his other best man (his best friend) organised the stag do (which I couldn't have done, I don't know his friends). We both made short speaches. In all honesty I would almsot have preferred not doing it at all, it is quite a bit of work, and having two of us meant there were points that one or other of us felt like a spare wheel.

Pick 1 on the basis of 'we'll all rotate so we only best man for one wedding each' and don't worry too much about offending anyone, because if they are really your friends they won't get offended.

Quartknee
Mar 20, 2009
I proposed to my fiancee about a month ago.
We'd been talking about getting married for a while so we have a lot of ideas brewing, and now are putting them into reality.

Venue: Space Museum.

We're both from Kansas, and our families from Hutchinson, which has a sweet space museum, the Kansas Cosmosphere. The Lobby has a real SR-71 Blackbird as you can see. We are renting the lobby , which we can't have the space until 5PM as well as a conference room that we have all day. since they have an omnimax theater, we have to buy out the showings and the total for the space comes around 2 grand (our guests can tour the museum and 118 can see a omnimax movie). What we are planning is to prestage all the wedding decorations, sound system etc in the conference room, load it in the lobby at 5 and have the ceremony at 7, and the reception after in the same space (moving some tables for a dance floor),using the conference room for food/bar. The cosmosphere is totally cool with everything we threw at them (besides the hazer - fire alarms) and the deposit was only $150. My fiancee is a graphic designer and has a lot of great ideas about have a moderate space theme for all the invitations and decorations, but we're not going to get married in space suits or anything.

Rings: Meteroite Rings (?)
This is where I have a question. I found Titanium Meteroite Rings online that we both like, and are reasonably priced. http://www.arizonaskiesmeteorites.com/Titanium-Meteorite-Rings/ The website seems just a little sketchy, and has me a little nervous. Should we order from here or look elsewhere? Are these rings something we should stay away from for any reasons? I had seen some other posts about materials in rings from space, and wondered if any goons had recommendations.
EDIT: Found a site with the same designs, and a store: http://www.titanium-buzz.com/meteoriterings.html

Quartknee fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 7, 2010

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
The only thing to be concerned about with meteorite inlays is that they can and will rust if you let water sit on them. Don't leave them lying in a puddle on the sink, and make sure to dry your hands after washing them. That's it, really.

I have a guy who makes meteorite inlay for me, and I think it's a fantastic way to modernize a wedding band.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

gvibes posted:

Do you even have to have a best man? I don't know.

I have a related question/issue:
My fiance really wants his best friend to be his best man, which is fine of course. The problem is that my best friend may not be able to make it to our wedding, and if she's not there then I don't want to pick someone else to be my maid of honor. So can we have a best man but not a maid of honor? Will my friends be upset if they see that there is a best man but not a MoH? Or is there another way to get his best friend involved as a best man, without actually doing the best man thing at the ceremony?

The entire wedding is very low key, we'll only have around 35 guests, and I just don't want to make a big deal out of it!

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.
There isn't really a "best man thing" in the ceremony, as far as I know, except that traditionally he holds onto the wedding rings. So there's no real "thing" for the ceremony.

You could always ask your bestie to be the MoH, and she can be in charge of all the MoH stuff except for the actual ceremony. Believe me, my MoH has been super helpful over the course of the year. If you go in knowing that she won't be there the day of, and just ask your parents/family to help with the day of stuff, you can still have a MoH, and all the good stuff that comes from it. Just take her out for an awesome thank you dinner some time around the wedding (before, or after your honeymoon, whichever works best for both of you).

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Well what I was referring to with the ceremony was really just the best man standing there, while I have no one by my side (we won't have any bridesmaids/groomsmen either). I just think it would look weird and lopsided! Even more so because maybe 8 out of the 35 guests will be mine :(

My best friend is halfway across the world, so there's really nothing she can do to participate/help if she can't make it.

Man, being in Australia sucks!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Lingling posted:

I also don't think it looks particular masculine, but it doesn't look girly. It's pretty much unisex.

The ring symbolizes your relationship together, so perhaps a compromise to something that you're both happy with. Maybe instead of round cut diamonds, have emerald cut ones, and keep the channel setting? Or instead of the channel setting have a hammer-set ring?

Both of us have had a say in both of our respective rings.

Yeah, they have another one with a smaller channel setting and I think less diamonds that I didn't like as much, but she liked better. I'll have to go back and look at that one too.

I'm just a sucker for gold on the outside with diamonds in the middle.

My god-mother suggested another solution: she has 6 wedding rings, and changes the one she wears based on her feelings, whether it goes with the outfit, or whatever. It might be an option that she gets one that we both like, and then later on I could get a different one. Or is that weird?

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

wiz crack posted:

My husband was one of two best men in a ceremony we were in. It ain't no thing, just list them in the program (if you have one) and work out who stands where. Honestly, do whatever you want. Who's gonna say you did it wrong as long as the marriage license is signed and legal at the end of the day?

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

SWATJester posted:

Or is that weird?

Extremelly, I've never heard of anyone with more than one wedding ring, it's meant to be a permanent symbol of your love, not an interchangable one to match your outfit :S

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Nuntius posted:

Extremelly, I've never heard of anyone with more than one wedding ring, it's meant to be a permanent symbol of your love, not an interchangable one to match your outfit :S
I forget who it is, but there's someone on this board who has like 5 engagement/wedding ring sets she's picked up over the years.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My girlfriend and I are kind of doing this whole engagement thing backwards. We went ring shopping to get her exactly what she wanted but she's not getting it until I formally propose. How do I surprise her with the proposal and still have it be in a nice place/situation without it being obvious beforehand that I'll be proposing?

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

jerkstore77 posted:

My girlfriend and I are kind of doing this whole engagement thing backwards. We went ring shopping to get her exactly what she wanted but she's not getting it until I formally propose. How do I surprise her with the proposal and still have it be in a nice place/situation without it being obvious beforehand that I'll be proposing?
Does she know you literally have the ring in your possession already? I told a tall tale about having to wait for the goldsmith to set the stone in her ring so she thought it was still in the jeweler's possession. Once we were having an amazing dinner with all the other trappings it became apparent, but it was nice to have that little nagging bit of doubt (or so she claimed).

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

JohnnyRnR posted:

The only thing to be concerned about with meteorite inlays is that they can and will rust if you let water sit on them. Don't leave them lying in a puddle on the sink, and make sure to dry your hands after washing them. That's it, really.

I have a guy who makes meteorite inlay for me, and I think it's a fantastic way to modernize a wedding band.

So is it only if water is sitting on them? I've been really interested in these rings as well. I work in a lab, my hands get sweaty in gloves - would the meteorite rust? Are they ok to wear in the shower? How much rust are we talking about, will the inlay just degrade into nothing given a couple of years? (sorry for all the questions!)

I don't think I could stand having a ring which had to be taken off (ever, really).

Do you have any pictures of what you've done with meteorite inlays? :)

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Lord Hawking posted:

Does she know you literally have the ring in your possession already? I told a tall tale about having to wait for the goldsmith to set the stone in her ring so she thought it was still in the jeweler's possession. Once we were having an amazing dinner with all the other trappings it became apparent, but it was nice to have that little nagging bit of doubt (or so she claimed).

Well she knows that it'll be ready in about a week at which point I'll pick it up, so yeah she knows I have it

One thought I had was to plan an elaborate dinner one night getting her to think that I'll do it at that time, and then actually proposing the night before. The elaborate dinner could then turn into a celebration of our engagement for the two of us.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
You won't have any trouble with meteorites rusting in a normal day to day setting (as they're pretty rust resistant anyway), but you should never wear any kind of jewelry in the shower, pool, ocean, or when washing dishes. Absolutely never.

Chlorine will attack the hardening metals used to make precious metal alloys and we've seen ring fall apart or stones fall out. You are also at a great risk of the rings simply slipping off in the water, or an attack from a barracuda. It's true - Fish are attracted to shiny objects and have been known to bite fingers off.

Here is a great example of all that is possible in meteorite bands: http://www.chrisploof.com/meteorite.html

Chris is a friend of mine and we do carry his pieces.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

killerwhat posted:

I don't think I could stand having a ring which had to be taken off (ever, really).

I take my rings off to shower because I don't like getting my rings caught in my hair when I'm washing it. If you're worried about forgetting them, what I do is I hang them on my light switch so that when I'm ready to leave the bathroom I see them there and put them back on when I turn off the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

JohnnyRnR posted:

You won't have any trouble with meteorites rusting in a normal day to day setting (as they're pretty rust resistant anyway), but you should never wear any kind of jewelry in the shower, pool, ocean, or when washing dishes. Absolutely never.

Chlorine will attack the hardening metals used to make precious metal alloys and we've seen ring fall apart or stones fall out. You are also at a great risk of the rings simply slipping off in the water, or an attack from a barracuda. It's true - Fish are attracted to shiny objects and have been known to bite fingers off.

Here is a great example of all that is possible in meteorite bands: http://www.chrisploof.com/meteorite.html

Chris is a friend of mine and we do carry his pieces.

I was under the impression that titanium (what my engagement ring is) isn't so prone to that kind of damage? I'll be more careful if that's not the case!

Those rings are really classy. I see that he also lists a titanium+meteorite ring in the custom work section...