Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aliens is a 24-year old blockbuster so I really doubt we have to spoil anything.

Zogo posted:

Yea, it's still improbable even in the theatrical edition but we're never sure if all the colonists were rounded up in a couple of days..some of those colonists could've hidden for a while. The girl looked dirty enough like she had been scrounging around for a very long time. It took most of the intriguing ambiguity away.

In the first one, one alien manages to track down six crew members on a ship that looks to be about the size of a small city, locate the only escape pod, etc. Part of the thing about aliens is that for the most part they are actually as smart or smarter than humans. The aliens have a better understanding of the colony's layout than the marines do, even though the marines are using blueprints.

quote:

But it's like they get out of the CEO meeting and the aliens instantly launch a revenge attack because Ripley woke up and made a boardroom deal.

James Cameron will be the first to tell you that occasionally artifice will show through in a movie, and if the movie is engrossing enough it won't matter. I don't think it particularly did in this one.

quote:

PS wet donut room?

They find a room early on where there's a half-eaten donut that hasn't molded at all. Forensics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They find a room early on where there's a half-eaten donut that hasn't molded at all. Forensics!

They cut out the scene with an alien holding the wire around the corner.

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008
I used to love watching historical action and drama films as a kid. They were often set in Rome, Ancient Greece e.t.c Some even had Vikings or were Medieval based. I can't remember the names of those films but they seemed old even when I was young so I am gonna guess they were made in 60's or 70's.

Basically, is there a list of the good ones out there so I can revisit my past? Got nothing to go on beside that.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

If it hasn't molded yet(and the hamsters were still alive) but the marines did not leave for LV-426 until after they lost contact with the colony, why did they need to enter hyper sleep when traveling to LV-426? Would they really save that much in resources to have that small of a crew sleep a few more days?

Maybe this is better suited for the Penises thread.

Fake Edit: LV-426 is not SR-388.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It may as well be. The debt that series owes to Aliens is foundational and obvious.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

In the first one, one alien manages to track down six crew members on a ship that looks to be about the size of a small city, locate the only escape pod, etc. Part of the thing about aliens is that for the most part they are actually as smart or smarter than humans. The aliens have a better understanding of the colony's layout than the marines do, even though the marines are using blueprints.

I always thought the Alien just got to the escape pod by chance. Otherwise it should've jettisoned itself to safety once the detonation codes had been initiated rather than taking a nap.

Maybe we're over-analyzing at this point. I think if the colonists got in trouble even in the present time they'd be on Skype in about a minute to say that aliens were raping them.

lol, but in the future they could use preservatives and other compounds to make this possible.

Exhibit A: 4 year old cheeseburger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4UfI

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We have the technology right now. I think you can leave a Twinkie laying around for decades without refrigeration.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ZombieParts posted:

I have to admit I enjoyed Spice World. Something put me off of Josie and the Pussycats but with people saying it's good I'll have to watch it again.

Well, Spice World does have Posh Spice in a bathtub...

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
I swear there was a movie that came out within the last 2-3 years where the premise is a ghost skeptic films himself in a haunted hotel room or something but it turns out he was DEAD WRONG!! Did I make this up or does it exist?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

MyStereoHasMono posted:

I swear there was a movie that came out within the last 2-3 years where the premise is a ghost skeptic films himself in a haunted hotel room or something but it turns out he was DEAD WRONG!! Did I make this up or does it exist?

Was it 1408 by any chance?

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Yes it was! Thanks! Especially for the quick reply. Without knowing anyone who acted in it I hard a pretty hard time searching for this via google. Thanks again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was putting DVDs away at work, and when I came across Oceans 12, I started to wonder "Why is that weird rear end Julia Roberts looks like Julia Roberts derail in the movie?". It sounds like it's one of those things that self absorbed celebs would think is clever.

Is there any insight on why the scene exists? A celeb referencing another one of their movies within another film isn't exactly uncommon, but this is just another level.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

I was putting DVDs away at work, and when I came across Oceans 12, I started to wonder "Why is that weird rear end Julia Roberts looks like Julia Roberts derail in the movie?". It sounds like it's one of those things that self absorbed celebs would think is clever.

Is there any insight on why the scene exists? A celeb referencing another one of their movies within another film isn't exactly uncommon, but this is just another level.

The Ocean films seem like they are just a group of friends partying and when they have the time making a movie, so it is full of in jokes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

bobkatt013 posted:

The Ocean films seem like they are just a group of friends partying and when they have the time making a movie, so it is full of in jokes.

That particular scene reaches the point of obnoxiousness, though. There's even a moment where Julia Roberts' character speaks to Julia Roberts the actor over the phone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cacator posted:

That particular scene reaches the point of obnoxiousness, though. There's even a moment where Julia Roberts' character speaks to Julia Roberts the actor over the phone.

Oh I know. I am sure that it was just them saying wouldn't it be funny, and what was funny to them was just painful to watch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, it seemed really self indulgent. Maybe if the scene was better written it might not feel so weird, but its frantic, unfocused, and just really hard to watch.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Man...I loved Ocean's 11 and I like 13, but man did 12 suck. The thing you mentioned it only the second worst thing in the movie (the worst being an ending that make the ENTIRE movie pointless).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

axleblaze posted:

Man...I loved Ocean's 11 and I like 13, but man did 12 suck. The thing you mentioned it only the second worst thing in the movie (the worst being an ending that make the ENTIRE movie pointless).

That reminds me, what the gently caress happened? They get Eddie Izzard to make a hologram, but they already have it and the French guy stole a fake or something. It was really confusing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me, what the gently caress happened? They get Eddie Izzard to make a hologram, but they already have it and the French guy stole a fake or something. It was really confusing.

Party first movie second.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

twistedmentat posted:

Only good things to happen cause of Oceans 12 are:

1) Vincent Cassel getting some money.
2) Me being made aware of La Caution - à la Menthe.

The rest is pure poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Okay from what I understand this is what happens: the main guys before anything happens contact they guy who's supposed to pick what's going to be stolen. He agrees to tell them what he's gonna pick but he wants them to help him reunite with hsi estranged daughter (Zeta Jones). So they steal the thing and the rest of the high tech nonsense is just a plot to discredit Zeta Jones so she'll feel comfortable seeing her criminal father again. Yes this is amazingly retarded. No, it doesn't make any sense, both as a plan or when you look at this in the context of most of the movie.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Carthag posted:

Only good things to happen cause of Oceans 12 are:

1) Vincent Cassel getting some money.
2) Me being made aware of the entire movie's soundtrack (criminally missing La Caution - à la Menthe).

The rest is pure poo poo.

Minor alteration. Really the soundtrack for 12 is beyond amazing. It's also unconscionably missing that particular song. But even still, it's a great soundtrack.

But really the movie is terrible to an absurd degree. Half the characters are almost complete ignored (how the hell do you have access to Bernie Mac and toss him in a jail cell for the entire movie is beyond me) which is made even worse because they are obligated to add even more characters in the movie to match the title.

Really the only thing good about the movie is the music, Kashmir as criminal double speak, and Cassel as the ultimate French rear end in a top hat. That and Linus being bailed out by his mom but they repeat that joke even better in 13 so there's really zero reason to bother with 12 after you've picked up the CD. Just watch 11 and 13 and you're good with barely anything lost.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

You're right, of course.

Speaking of Vincent Cassel, I just now tried to think of the first movie I saw him in that made me realize he rules, and I just kept drawing blanks cause every movie I've seen him in he ruled so it call comes down to which one I saw first, and that I cannot remember.

Have this for lack of a more precise thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpjmCcmnkbs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

axleblaze posted:

Okay from what I understand this is what happens: the main guys before anything happens contact they guy who's supposed to pick what's going to be stolen. He agrees to tell them what he's gonna pick but he wants them to help him reunite with hsi estranged daughter (Zeta Jones). So they steal the thing and the rest of the high tech nonsense is just a plot to discredit Zeta Jones so she'll feel comfortable seeing her criminal father again. Yes this is amazingly retarded. No, it doesn't make any sense, both as a plan or when you look at this in the context of most of the movie.

That's just...I don't know what. This is what happens when Hollywood writers are spineless and don't stand up against stars.

But yea, the soundtrack to 12 is drat good.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

That's just...I don't know what. This is what happens when Hollywood writers are spineless and don't stand up against stars.

But yea, the soundtrack to 12 is drat good.

The trivia is that this was an unaffiliated script shoehorned into the Ocean's lineup which explains a ton of the fundamental problems involved. It might even have made sense once upon a time when they only had four or five characters.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

What? Unless the director is the writer, the writers don't really deal with the actors. The studio also owns the script.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lucas posted:

What? Unless the director is the writer, the writers don't really deal with the actors. The studio also owns the script.

I though that often a script will be changed due to star demands. You know "I want to ride a motorcycle in my George Washington biopic" and such. Or does that not happen as after as the stories would have us believe?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

The Lucas posted:

Well, maybe not directly.

But actors might have demands, stupid as they might be, that the writers have to incorporate. I think Tom Cruise had a go-shirtless clause in the 90s.

Also, it's more and more common, with the shorter turnaround of productions, that writers are on set to make re-writes as they shoot. This will often happen in a semi-improvised fashion with the actors.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

twistedmentat posted:

I though that often a script will be changed due to star demands. You know "I want to ride a motorcycle in my George Washington biopic" and such. Or does that not happen as after as the stories would have us believe?

It happens but the intermediary between the writers and the actors is the producer (and perhaps the studio too). If an actor wants a scene changed,m they don't call up the writer - it goes through the producer, who then deals with the writer. Bear in mind that in many cases, especially studio films, the writers are commissioned on a 'work for hire' basis, and that accurately depicts the relationship. The writers work for the producer, who pays them; he who pays the piper calls the tune.

in the indie world there is much more of a collaborative approach; it's unusual to order a writer to do something.

SimpleSandwiches
Apr 15, 2009
Caught this over the weekend via my Buzz Feed app:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomerobo/mirror-scare-montage-23kj

It's a montage of the obligatory "Mirror-scares" you see in so many horror/thriller movies. (sans-alien-in-the0tv-reflection from "Signs" unfortunately...)

Is there a comprehensive list of "firsts" of obligatory/typical/played-out shots from movies?

tvtropes.org is a fantastic site and gives more than enough of examples but doesn't really say who "invented" said-shots.

I only ask because I had been wondering about the "dolly-in/zoom-out" technique mentioned a few pages back and was surprised to hear Hitchcock had invented it.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

SimpleSandwiches posted:

Caught this over the weekend via my Buzz Feed app:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomerobo/mirror-scare-montage-23kj

It's a montage of the obligatory "Mirror-scares" you see in so many horror/thriller movies. (sans-alien-in-the0tv-reflection from "Signs" unfortunately...)

Is there a comprehensive list of "firsts" of obligatory/typical/played-out shots from movies?

tvtropes.org is a fantastic site and gives more than enough of examples but doesn't really say who "invented" said-shots.

I only ask because I had been wondering about the "dolly-in/zoom-out" technique mentioned a few pages back and was surprised to hear Hitchcock had invented it.

There is a great Paul F. Tompkins bit about monsters appearing in mirrors in horror films.

http://hypem.com/track/971582?awesm=50ypB

Basically he talks about the way bathrooms are structured it would be almost impossible for this to happen in almost every single scary movie ever.

KillRoy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 1, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Half those shots aren't even the right cliche. I thought the mirror-scare was when the scene changes between the character quickly opening and closing the cabinet.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Zogo posted:

One of the only movies I always recommend extended over theatrical is The Abyss.

Whaaaat? No way. The theatrical cut presents just the right level of ambiguity in the underwater aliens. Why are they there? What do they want? Why are they interested in us? The point of the movie isn't to answer those questions.

The directors cut we find out exactly why. They hate nuclear weapons and are going to destroy humanity until Ed Harris shows them the power of love. Thanks for the insightful commentary Mr. Cameron!

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

Half those shots aren't even the right cliche. I thought the mirror-scare was when the scene changes between the character quickly opening and closing the cabinet.

Yeah, only about the first 30 seconds of that video even followed the video's own rules.

Plus, it's missing the one from Repulsion, which is both the best and (as far as I know) the earliest use of that cliche.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

SimpleSandwiches posted:

It was invented by his second-unit cameraman Irmin Roberts for Vertigo, not by Hitchcock himself.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Whaaaat? No way. The theatrical cut presents just the right level of ambiguity in the underwater aliens. Why are they there? What do they want? Why are they interested in us? The point of the movie isn't to answer those questions.

I wanted more than what was in the theatrical. Even in the extended it's still very ambiguous and doesn't really answer the questions you listed does it?

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The directors cut we find out exactly why. They hate nuclear weapons and are going to destroy humanity until Ed Harris shows them the power of love. Thanks for the insightful commentary Mr. Cameron!

I liked the war montage (it showed a lot more than just nuclear explosions) and the end illustrated the macrocosm of what had been going on in the oil rig on a smaller scale. And I liked the message a lot as well.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. The message delivery was about as trite and shallow as you can get and the theme was already covered much more deftly with the interactions between Lindsey and Coffey.

I can't stand it when a storywriter can't come up with anything better for aliens to do than lecture us. Thanks dad, what the gently caress do you care anyway you're ten miles underwater.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Monkeyseesaw posted:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. The message delivery was about as trite and shallow as you can get and the theme was already covered much more deftly with the interactions between Lindsey and Coffey.

Yea, we will heh..from what I remember I thought Lindsey and Coffey were name calling and Coffey was too far-gone from the HPNS to be sensible.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I can't stand it when a storywriter can't come up with anything better for aliens to do than lecture us. Thanks dad, what the gently caress do you care anyway you're ten miles underwater.

I usually don't like alien lecturers either. Avatar, District 9
Offhand I can't think of any others.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Zogo posted:

Yea, we will heh..from what I remember I thought Lindsey and Coffey were name calling and Coffey was too far-gone from the HPNS to be sensible.

The character of Coffey was far gone but his characterization was the warlike-paranoic to Lindsey's openness and desire to connect. The alien lecture at the end was just Lindsey and Coffey presented as a stock-footage clip-show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The character of Coffey was far gone but his characterization was the warlike-paranoic to Lindsey's openness and desire to connect. The alien lecture at the end was just Lindsey and Coffey presented as a stock-footage clip-show.

While it is true, the alien aspect of the movie is really fascinating and well interwoven up until that point. But there needs to be something big to finish the movie and whether you go with the "world threatened" or "we've been watching" ending, either way it helps soften the DEM solution to the crippled rig.

I mean the movie has a nice first contact perspective by the midpoint of the movie and a generally well regarded tense action confrontation. If they just magic them up to the surface it would have been kind of awful. At least there's some meaningful interaction and the peeking at the Lindsay/Waterlogged Virgil exchange was kind of touching.

Sure it may be lack of imagination on my part, but I can't really think of a way to end the movie well. At least in the existing endings Virgil "earns" his free pass to the surface by representing the best of humanity.

What would be a better ending for the movie?