Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
Darn, the availability date on guitar center for the push went from 3/18 to 3/25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Haven't seen this posted anywhere... maybe this isn't the right thread though.

An interesting documentary on Sound City Studios:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_%28film%29

In it a number of famous artists and producers talk about the studio itself, but there's also quite a bit about the old analog vs digital debate. How DAWs have changed the world of music production forever. If you're interested in sound and music production it's definitely worth a watch.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Has anyone heard if Live 9 is solving midi sync being, well, poo poo?

I doubt it. I didn't get a chance to try it because I got the beta literally two days before 9 came out.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Xabi posted:

Haven't seen this posted anywhere... maybe this isn't the right thread though.

An interesting documentary on Sound City Studios:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_%28film%29

In it a number of famous artists and producers talk about the studio itself, but there's also quite a bit about the old analog vs digital debate. How DAWs have changed the world of music production forever. If you're interested in sound and music production it's definitely worth a watch.
Saw this in the theatre, and it's pretty awesome. I also recommend it. The initial treatment of early digital production is pretty eye-rolling with the stereotypes (though they are right about the overpromise of early DAWs and ridiculous rendering times). Dave Grohl is a rock guy, and most of his friends and other subjects in the doc are primarily rock guys, and the studio in question was seriously threatened by digital production, but they at least get Trent Reznor in there later on to talk sense about how technology and software is just another instrument if you want it to be, etc.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Begby posted:

Darn, the availability date on guitar center for the push went from 3/18 to 3/25.

I've heard rumors that it's not going to be available for several months (its been known that the 18th is a fiction for some time), but I can't find the original source of those rumors. KVR and Gearsluts have people making statements to that effect.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I've heard rumors that it's not going to be available for several months (its been known that the 18th is a fiction for some time), but I can't find the original source of those rumors. KVR and Gearsluts have people making statements to that effect.

The rumor I've read is that after the first batch sells out, the restock won't be in for a few months. Probably because that is what the Ableton store shows as the lead time now, not that it will necessarily be true with retailers.

I looked around at several websites today, and quite a few seem confident about getting stock on the 25th.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/03/generative-genius-free-max-for-live-patch-lets-you-schedule-scenes-at-any-clock-time/

I wish I had a business to make the clocks run off ableton live and fire awesome poo poo every 15 min and every hour..

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm thinking of switching from Logic to Live 9 and I had some questions-

Can you upgrade from Standard to Suite down the road? I want most of the extras Suite comes with (enough that I'd save money with suite than the individual stuff) but I'd rather buy it in two parts than all at once.

How bad is the midi sync issues/what are the problems exactly? I want to use it to record audio in session view based on midi I sequence in Live without timing issues, and possibly to track out songs sequenced on an MPC. With Logic and MMC this is totally brainless- I hook it up and arm a track and press play and it just happens. Would it be close to that easy in Live?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

How bad is the midi sync issues/what are the problems exactly? I want to use it to record audio in session view based on midi I sequence in Live without timing issues, and possibly to track out songs sequenced on an MPC. With Logic and MMC this is totally brainless- I hook it up and arm a track and press play and it just happens. Would it be close to that easy in Live?

Just the general lovely MIDI slop timing that comes from any DAW on any computer ever. If you want sick-tight timing you'll want to invest in something like one of the Innerclock Systes Sync Lock devices. They use audio out from the machine to create sample accurate MIDI timing for outboard gear. It's expensive, but worth it. Otherwise, you'll be dragging warp markers all over the place after recording into Ableton.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Oldstench posted:

Just the general lovely MIDI slop timing that comes from any DAW on any computer ever.
Well. It's a bit worse on Live. The timing issues are so bad, Access had to implement a special "Live" mode in their Total Control plugin for the Virus TI2 just so Live users could feel like they're playing in time (and even with that on it's still not as tight as it is in Cubase, for example). Access blames Ableton for some other MIDI timing problems too.

The most notorious issue with Live though, has to do with plugin delay compensation- specifically in situations where you're performing automation while using processing chains involving plugins that introduce more delay than average. This is not something that most people do every day, so it's not a huge problem in my opinion.

Really I think Live is strongest when you're strictly ITB and/or working with samples. If you do external MIDI a lot, several other DAWs have more features and fewer problems. I had a lot of MIDI sync problems with Maschine in Live (and Maschine's not even an actual synth), but the problems I had with the Virus pushed me back to Cubase for most work.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Here's an article with some awesome under-the-hood info at hacking Push's (Python) API and controlling it directly from Max/MSP. It also has some nice pictures, and a ton of French language videos (the article itself is English).

http://julienbayle.net/ableton-push/

I also was just chatting with my developer buddy, who was really surprised that Live uses Python for its API, since in his experience high-level scripting languages don't mesh well with super time-sensitive things like audio. Clearly in Live there's good separation between the audio engine and the Python API, but now I'm wondering if the Python bits might not be a factor in the Live's reportedly questionable MIDI sync (since I'm pretty sure the Python API ties into MIDI automation).

(I say "reportedly questionable" because I've only used Live with outboard MIDI gear a little bit, and it's never been a problem for me, but I've heard criticisms from others).

h_double fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 20, 2013

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

Really I think Live is strongest when you're strictly ITB and/or working with samples. If you do external MIDI a lot, several other DAWs have more features and fewer problems. I had a lot of MIDI sync problems with Maschine in Live (and Maschine's not even an actual synth), but the problems I had with the Virus pushed me back to Cubase for most work.

The sample stuff is a big part of it. I'm also looking for something that works well ITB so when I just have my laptop I can still work on stuff. It's totally redundant with the MPC in a lot of ways but I think (in part because of that) it's gonna fit my workflow better than Logic does. Even after spending way longer with Logic a lot of stuff, sample manipulating, automation, and effects chains especially, still felt more intuitive in Live.

I'm also not looking at doing too much midi sequencing with Ableton, large scale anyway- more recording and arranging smaller segments of audio, which sessions seems perfect for.

Radiapathy posted:

The most notorious issue with Live though, has to do with plugin delay compensation- specifically in situations where you're performing automation while using processing chains involving plugins that introduce more delay than average. This is not something that most people do every day, so it's not a huge problem in my opinion.

Which kind of plugins? I don't think this would be a big deal for me but just in case...

Oldstench posted:

Just the general lovely MIDI slop timing that comes from any DAW on any computer ever. If you want sick-tight timing you'll want to invest in something like one of the Innerclock Systes Sync Lock devices. They use audio out from the machine to create sample accurate MIDI timing for outboard gear. It's expensive, but worth it. Otherwise, you'll be dragging warp markers all over the place after recording into Ableton.

I've never noticed timing issues in Logic (or nothing I'd have to warp audio for). Am I not listening hard enough? Or is it just handled better in Logic? I also don't do much, if any, long recoding files from midi sequenced ITB- it's either short bits here and there or the MPC is doing the sequencing.

breaks
May 12, 2001

JamesKPolk posted:

Which kind of plugins? I don't think this would be a big deal for me but just in case...

Live just doesn't delay compensate automation at all, so any plugin that introduces latency will cause it to be off by at least a little bit.

Also, Live adds latency to every VST plugin even if the plugin doesn't have any latency of it's own. The amount is set by the "plugin buffer size" option.

As a result of those two things, for any track that you've got VST plugins on, your automation is not where it is on the screen. :bravo:

If I remember correctly native Live devices can operate without latency, though obviously some of them do introduce latency as part of their functionality. Not sure about M4L.

breaks fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 20, 2013

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Does Live 9 support custom skins? I Googled "Live 9 skins" but can only find them for older versions of Live. The default skins are all lighter colored and all my other music software is dark.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
colors, yes. Not skins in the winamp skins way (i think)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Here is a Max skin editor, which supposedly can alter Live 9. I haven't tried but go nuts.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/1504/skin-editor

M4L bundled is one of my favorite aspects of this update.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

Here is a Max skin editor, which supposedly can alter Live 9. I haven't tried but go nuts.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/1504/skin-editor

M4L bundled is one of my favorite aspects of this update.

That requires M4L which is like a $200 add-on, right?

Yeah I meant different color schemes rather than "skins" -- is there any way to add additional schemes than the built in ones? There's a selector for them in one of the preferences menus.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

ashgromnies posted:

Nope, not anymore. Now it's included in Suite

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

ashgromnies posted:

Yeah I meant different color schemes rather than "skins" -- is there any way to add additional schemes than the built in ones? There's a selector for them in one of the preferences menus.
Yeah, there are definitely skins around. Folks sometimes post 'em in the Ableton forums. I got a cool Maschine-flavored skin there last year.

j.peeba posted:

Yep, new in Suite 9.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 8, 2014

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

j.peeba posted:

Sadly I only have Standard. $300 to upgrade to Suite. I can't justify spending that right now but thanks for the info.

Found a nice looking dark skin: https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=188732

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ashgromnies posted:

http://sonictransfer.com/ableton-live-skins/ here's a bunch and there's an editor on the page too. I just made my first one this morning.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Oldstench posted:

I do a ton of work with external MIDI devices and live and I haven't noticed what you and other people have said.

marb
Oct 21, 2010

RivensBitch posted:

I do a ton of work with external MIDI devices and live and I haven't noticed what you and other people have said.

Yeah same... seems to be one of Live's strengths as far as I can tell.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

has it been confirmed that our Push units are arriving next week? I still haven't heard anything. I ordered one from Ableton and Guitar Center, fwiw.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

RivensBitch posted:

When/if I can be assed to do it, I'll make a video demonstrating.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

spaceship posted:

has it been confirmed that our Push units are arriving next week? I still haven't heard anything. I ordered one from Ableton and Guitar Center, fwiw.

Every day since the 18th the availability date on guitar center keeps getting pushed back a day. Now it is saying availability on the 29th, if we keep going with this pattern tomorrow will say the 30th. So I guess that is a big fat no unless someone wants to call and see if Spook has the lowdown.

Edit: Ok, I just checked again, now it is back to the 25th. I have no idea what is up with their site or if they are doing stock on clipboards with pencils and paper or what. I assume thats a good sign?

Begby fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 22, 2013

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Guitar Center has it at the 28th.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
e. Wrong thread by OMGWTFLMAOBBQ or whatever his name is. Sorry!

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 23, 2013

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

I just looked again to make sure I am not crazy and read it like 6 times. Then I refreshed the page a few times more. It says 3/25 for me.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ableton-Push-108864851-i2897935.gc

Whacky.

I wish I would have spoke to Spook earlier. I'll call Monday and speak to Spook and post back here. I like how that rolls off the tongue... spoke to Spook, speak to Spook. Its like saying "wasps nests" over and over. I wish my name was that cool.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Ableton posted a set of instructional videos about push on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM8EmM5C3Ls

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Update: I left Live 9 running overnight so it could index my remote samples directories. Now that it is done I can access them in the browser. Hooray.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Ok, talked Brittany at Guitar Center who unfortunately did not have an epic name.

The date on the website has now been changed to 4/1, she didn't explain why it kept changing, but gave me the low down.

They are due to get 800 push units delivered this week, she didn't know which day exactly, but it should be this week and she said it would not be likely for them to be shorted. (she could not offer any kind of guarantee though)

If they do get those 800 in, it will cover all backorders that have currently been placed, with roughly 40 units unallocated, so if you haven't ordered one yet, or have one coming 8 to 12 weeks from ableton direct, you might be able to roll the dice and get one shipped this week if you move quick and everything goes according to plan on their end.

One thing I like about Guitar Center is that their customer service agents really know what is going on with receiving and stocking and readily share that info.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I got an email from ableton.com saying that my order would be shipping soon. Let's see who ships first :D

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I got a "backorder notice" from musiciansfriend and their site now says they expect more on Apr 1, as opposed to the previous estimation of Mar 25.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

IT SHIPPED

I'll have a push in my hands this week

Thank you based god

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

spaceship posted:

IT SHIPPED

I'll have a push in my hands this week

Thank you based god

The ableton.com order?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

pyrotek posted:

The ableton.com order?

Yes! In fact, I just checked the tracking #, and it's already here in austin, and will be delivered tomorrow. Stoked.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

spaceship posted:

Yes! In fact, I just checked the tracking #, and it's already here in austin, and will be delivered tomorrow. Stoked.

Hot drat, hopefully that means that they will start shipping out from other places soon as well. Have fun tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

spaceship posted:

Post some impressions if you get a chance! I need something to tide me over until whenever I get mine from Guitar Center.