Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arquinsiel posted:

Doesn't the German end up with two armies in that scenario?

Just a pair of the HQs really. Everything else can be used in one list or the other. 6 stugs and 4 paks is a good German core, along with all the infantry.

In fact, that starter box is basically the cheapest way to get battlefront Shermans even if you get only $20 selling the rest of the box. PSC's still cheaper and better quality, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just in case you really need this.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't really need it, but I do need it...

You'll end up with four platoons of infantry too, it'd be a rather huge infantry company really.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the FoW info. I think we'll get the open fire set because it seems like a hell of a deal and go from there.

I haven't got the Open Fire set but haven't there been issues with the plastics (namely the tanks and the Pak40s)?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't really need it, but I do need it...

You'll end up with four platoons of infantry too, it'd be a rather huge infantry company really.

You can sub in some of the infantry as pioneers/recon so you can still make use of them.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I played a little bit of Force on Force a while ago and got diverted onto other things (including making terrain and painting up an army ...). Returning to it recently, I started doing a full sweep of the rules. Wanted to get it under my belt so I could teach a friend.

First: that rulebook isn't great. Things are in a strange sort of order. I'd forgotten just how much I'd learnt from the quickstart rules and not from the rulebook. Tomorrow's War is much better written.

Second: a few questions popped up - made all the more confusing when I google for answers and find conflicting replies. So:

Reaction tests use a single die, right? And it's an opposed roll. Whoever succeeds (4+) and gets the higher number wins? And modifiers just add to or subtract from the value on the rolled die?

Declaring actions and reactions: how do people handle this? The book writes it as the Initiative player declaring the action, then the Non-initiative declares reactions, then the actual turn is carried out. Whereas, a video I watched showed the Initiative player just carrying out their move and the NUI interrupting for reactions.

Fire: the attacker rolls Firepower, the defender rolls Defense. Fine. But what happens next? I've sen two variants:

- the defender chooses and places dice against the the attackers in order to equal or beat them. (The correct way from what I read in the rules?)

- The attacker and defender rank their dice high to low and compare compare the pairs. Which is simpler, but is not the same thing.

Finally, back to a situation someone posed to me: A and B are not line of sight of each other. A has initiative and announces that it will emerge from cover and move into the open where it will fire at B. B reacts by saying it will fire at A the moment it comes visible. So how does this play out:

- A starts moving into the open. B fires on A. A can exchange fire, for a modifier on later action.

- A reaches its position and fires on B. B can exchange fire, but as it has already fired this turn, suffers a modifier.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

outlier posted:

I played a little bit of Force on Force a while ago and got diverted onto other things (including making terrain and painting up an army ...). Returning to it recently, I started doing a full sweep of the rules. Wanted to get it under my belt so I could teach a friend.
Forgive me for splitting up your post, but I'll address things individually. Caveat: this is how we play it, we could be wrong.

outlier posted:

Reaction tests use a single die, right? And it's an opposed roll. Whoever succeeds (4+) and gets the higher number wins? And modifiers just add to or subtract from the value on the rolled die?
Yup.

outlier posted:

Declaring actions and reactions: how do people handle this? The book writes it as the Initiative player declaring the action, then the Non-initiative declares reactions, then the actual turn is carried out. Whereas, a video I watched showed the Initiative player just carrying out their move and the NUI interrupting for reactions.
In practice it's not really all that relevant, since usually the declaration of the action will allow the reacting units to plan their move. It's only really a niche case that one unit will react with fire and wipe out the active unit before it's move gives the second reacting unit LoS to fire.

outlier posted:

Fire: the attacker rolls Firepower, the defender rolls Defense. Fine. But what happens next? I've sen two variants:

- the defender chooses and places dice against the the attackers in order to equal or beat them. (The correct way from what I read in the rules?)
This is correct. The other way would result in the dice shift being even more dramatic and silly.

outlier posted:

Finally, back to a situation someone posed to me: A and B are not line of sight of each other. A has initiative and announces that it will emerge from cover and move into the open where it will fire at B. B reacts by saying it will fire at A the moment it comes visible. So how does this play out:

- A starts moving into the open. B fires on A. A can exchange fire, for a modifier on later action.

- A reaches its position and fires on B. B can exchange fire, but as it has already fired this turn, suffers a modifier.
Neither. A moves, and when it gets into LoS with B the round of fire happens. You already know what the action will be so you just declare the reaction to be "these dudes will fire when they get LoS" and roll the reaction test. The round of fire happens as normal then, since it's just one action-reaction pair.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Arquinsiel posted:

(Reactions rolls as opposed checks)

I'm relieved. I saw an "instructional video" in which someone was just making a check for the Reactor to see if they interrupt. Made me wonder how I could have so badly misunderstood things.

quote:

In practice it's not really all that relevant, since usually the declaration of the action will allow the reacting units to plan their move. It's only really a niche case that one unit will react with fire and wipe out the active unit before it's move gives the second reacting unit LoS to fire.

You have a point. The book gets so pinheaded about the order of resolution, I was wondering what the issue was. I expect in practice you can play fairly fast and loose with the exact way it's done and it would make little difference.

quote:

(Firing) This is correct. The other way would result in the dice shift being even more dramatic and silly.

Of course. I was wondering why this opposed roll and the matching is done so differently to the others but you're right: d10s would horribly own d6s.

I posted:

You posted:

Neither. A moves, and when it gets into LoS with B the round of fire happens. You already know what the action will be so you just declare the reaction to be "these dudes will fire when they get LoS" and roll the reaction test. The round of fire happens as normal then, since it's just one action-reaction pair.

I hadn't actually meant my two options as choices, but as my impression that two exchanges of fire would take place. So only one exchange would occur? If it's not already clear, A has announced it is firing from a different position to where it gets fired upon by B. Do you resolve at the point B wants to fire or where A wants to fire?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The order of resolution only really matters when multiple units are reacting or in the obvious case of casualties.

Whoever wins the reaction roll acts when they want to. You're looking for nuance where none exists dude.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

So having done all this prep work for my Muskets & Tomahawks game today (I'll take pictures!), I started thinking about my other wargaming friend and how much he loves the ACW (being from South Carolina and all).

Are there any similar rulesets around for skirmish-level ACW? I know TFL has The Couldn't Hit an Elephant, but I wasn't sure if they'd work for what I want (since it says it's for Divisional or Corps level games).

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Xposting from the miniatures thread. Apparently you need 200 shades of green to paint a tiny guy.

The most fun part is definitely the landscaping. Tiny plants and grasses are worth every e-cent.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Colonial Air Force posted:

So having done all this prep work for my Muskets & Tomahawks game today (I'll take pictures!), I started thinking about my other wargaming friend and how much he loves the ACW (being from South Carolina and all).

Are there any similar rulesets around for skirmish-level ACW? I know TFL has The Couldn't Hit an Elephant, but I wasn't sure if they'd work for what I want (since it says it's for Divisional or Corps level games).

Terrible Sharp Sword by TFL.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=76

Its based on Sharpe Practice which is a fun skirmish game for between 20 and 100 minis.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 26, 2012

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Those look like excellent rules, thanks.

Now that I've read through M&T a bunch (we didn't end up playing yesterday, but I'll play Sunday), I think I want to sell my 10mm AWI to fund a 28mm replacement. The AWI has very few large battles, and the skirmishes just seem way more fun.

Plus it isn't like Black Powder can't be used with 28mm (it was written for it, after all).

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Kegslayer posted:

I haven't got the Open Fire set but haven't there been issues with the plastics (namely the tanks and the Pak40s)?

The Pak40's are a little fragile and its easy to break them when removing from the sprue unless you are very careful. I suggest using a knife rather than a set of clippers.

The Shermans won't fit together properly without a bit of filing, and then probably a bit of green stuff in a few places. Not a huge deal compared to cleaning up mold lines and other defects on your typical Resin and metal model.

I had no complaints about the Stugs, which only have one problematic bit that is trivial to correct with some filing.

In the two sets I bought I had a 4 or so infantry figures that had not been molded correctly, and a few broken rifles right out of the box.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

So I finally got around to unpacking the rest of my models, including my Langton ships.

But none of them are marks, and Rod doesn't have pictures on his website (surprise!). So now I have no idea what's what.

I mean I can count the guns, obviously, and make good guesses, but some kind of identification guide or some photos would've been fuckin' helpful.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Colonial Air Force posted:

So I finally got around to unpacking the rest of my models, including my Langton ships.

But none of them are marks, and Rod doesn't have pictures on his website (surprise!). So now I have no idea what's what.

I mean I can count the guns, obviously, and make good guesses, but some kind of identification guide or some photos would've been fuckin' helpful.

I think Napoleonic ships is one of those niches that are so obscure that you are pretty much expected to know the different ships at a glance, even before picking it up.

Do you still have the order saved somewhere? I bought one of the starter packs, and pretty much deduced which was which by sorting out the largest ship, the smallest ship, and so on.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

I think Napoleonic ships is one of those niches that are so obscure that you are pretty much expected to know the different ships at a glance, even before picking it up.

Do you still have the order saved somewhere? I bought one of the starter packs, and pretty much deduced which was which by sorting out the largest ship, the smallest ship, and so on.

Yeah, I have the orders, since I bought them online. Like I said, I can just count the guns and do my best, but photos would have helped.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Email Rod, hes awesome. I spent ages chatting to him at a show and when I bought my ships from him he took ages explaining everything to me in person. Im sure he would respond to an email.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

Email Rod, hes awesome. I spent ages chatting to him at a show and when I bought my ships from him he took ages explaining everything to me in person. Im sure he would respond to an email.

This is true, I sent an e-mail about which bases would be appropriate for my starter set, and he sent a long and very informative response. Dude is really helpful, and the ships turned out great once painted:

Swooosh, boom boom!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I counted guns and then went through my orders and got it all sorted.

Interestingly, I have two British 74s with 82 guns, but that's not really uncommon for British ships. :p

Now to finish painting them up and assembling them.

Muskets & Tomahawks: Once again, the world has conspired against me getting to play this. We got hit with a big winter storm, so my friend couldn't come over (the street I live on wasn't plowed until late afternoon).

Someday. Someday.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Nature abhors our tiny mans

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Women too

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Nature abhors women? That'd explain a lot about my social life :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This is pretty great for something like Saga:

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8385

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
FoW Questions (I got a random box of U.S. Rifle Platoon from a friend who had planned to start playing but never did so yay free stuff)

What do you guys use, in terms of basing, to bridge the gap between the models base and the plastic base provided?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rikthor posted:

FoW Questions (I got a random box of U.S. Rifle Platoon from a friend who had planned to start playing but never did so yay free stuff)

What do you guys use, in terms of basing, to bridge the gap between the models base and the plastic base provided?

Most people seem to use spackle.

The other option is to buy Battlefront's newer bases: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=2654

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I used Milliput Super Fine or Brown Stuff. Green Stuff will probably also do the trick. You could use other quick setting epoxy putties as well if you're so inclined.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I use white glue mixed with modeling sand then paint heavily with brown and highlight with a lighter brown.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Vallejo Texture pastes. They come in a variety of grit sizes and are really easy to base FoW with

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Liquitex resin sand is what I use, you can get it at stores like Hobby lobby.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Picked up Dux Bellorum at the weekend. A bit of a spur of the moment thing, although Dark Ages/Arthurian is a interest of mine.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Dux-Bellorum-%E2%80%93-Arthurian-Wargaming-Rules-AD367%E2%80%93793_9781849086806

(cheaper on Amazon)

Wasn't expecting much but sort of very impressed after a first read through. Aimed at larger actions than a skirmish game like Saga, and obviously being Arthurian its a few 100 years prior to that. Has all the ingredients I like in a game- lots of dice, a command mechanic (no godlike absolute control over all your troops), element basing, fast play and no casualty removal. Points based army lists, but hey we cant have everything huh? ;)

It has an interesting mechanic based around leadership points. Your force will have between 6 and 10 leadership points (LPs)(dependent on how many you bought in your army list) that you spend each turn. You allocate up to 3 LPs per unit or group (units of the same sort touching each other in a line formation) and these can be spent to do a variety of things like cancelling out hits your units take, spending them to alter Bravery rolls (the roll you make to activate a unit- you can later the rolls up or down so in the case of warriors with impetuous charges its a good way of reining them in), boost the number of attacks in combat, or use them in a bidding war (your opponent can spend their own LPs to try and stop you) to interrupt your opponents move sequence and move your unit instead. It seems a good simple way of simulating the heroic nature of a charismatic warlord of this period influencing the forces around you.

Ive been deliberating on what scale to do this, but after much thought looks like I will do it in 28mm, and start with 4 men to a unit to start with, and then up that to 8 in time. The games measurement mechanic is done in base widths, so it scales to any scale miniature or size of force. Most infantry units move 2 base widths, so I will do my guys on a 10cm frontage, meaning that units have a 20cm move a turn which feels reasonable for a 6x4 board. Standard game is 32 points (gently caress knows why) and that is about 6 to 12 units depending on troop quality/type.

Anyway for Ł8 for a complete set of rules, everything you need in 1 book, you cant say fairer than that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seconing Serotonin's review. I grabbed it from Amazon myself on a whim having seen it mentioned in WI and it's basically DBA++ focused on Arthurian era combat. Looks like it'll be very fun and if you have relevant era armies based up for DBX games (like I sort of do) it'll be easy to get playing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Finally got to play Muskets & Tomahawks today!

I took pics, and I'll write up a full battle report in a while, but my first impressions are that this game kicks rear end.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Post it!!!!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I got in two games of Bolt Action, which actually played better than I thought, though 330 point games tend to swing on the dice fairly hard. I had a lot of fun with it.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Has anyone tried Tomorrow's War? Not a historical per se, sure, but is there anything in that book that makes it worth purchasing if I have Force on Force?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A friend bought it so I flipped through the book while they were playing it. There are a few things that are significantly different in there but most of them are the kind of thing that'd be common sense in a hi-tech sci-fi skirmish game. If you think "it'd be cool if you could..." then they probably did too, and fit it into the FoF paradigm. Usually this is how you would expect them to do it, so you can probably extrapolate all the differences by reading FoF properly.

That said, it's a GORGEOUS book and playing "guess the source of THIS rip off faction" is fun.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

We very briefly discussed it earlier as a way to play X-COM: The Tabletop Game. If you get it, let us know how it works out.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Sounds tempting. I'm sure I'll get the Tomorrow's War book some day. Hopefully after I've read FOF.

X-posting(painting thread) these historical guys I've recently finished.

Finished a couple of German MG teams and a Sherman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
So we played our first game of Muskets and Tomahawks last night. Sadly no pictures as we don't have the minis painted yet (Brent just got his last week and I am lazy).

I have to say, the game was very fun, and definitely builds a good story as the games goes along (something I am pretty sure the creators envisioned).

We played 200 points, My All Canadian Syrupy Bastards list:

Canadian Officer - Irregular - Unpredictable and Backstabber traits, musket and thrown weapon
2 x 6 Canadian Militia - Irregular - muskets and tomahawks, scouts
4 Indians, rifles
5 local militia, inhabitants with rifles

and if I remember correctly Brent's British Buffoons were:

British Irregular Officer - Musket, Elite, Unpredictable and Eagle Eye traits
2 x 5 Rogers Rangers, Irregular, Elite, muskets
5 Indians, rifles, Auxiliaries

The Brits rolled Raid as their mission, and the Brit Officer's personal goal was to kill more people than my officer
We fine Canadian Gentlemen of the Syrupy persuasion rolled the Scout mission, and my outstanding officer was actually a usurper imposter, and therefore his personal goal was to never be within 4" of a friendly unit (less they discover his real identity)

Quick rundown:

Raid = burn down the building of the village on the table, at 200 pts there are 2 building that must be burnt (rules for burning buildings in the book)
Scout = have someone make it to and live through a turn in each table quarter, then get off your deployment board edge with at least 1/3 of your force

The card activation system builds a nice tension/fog of war, and many a time it made for big moments in what would happen to our plan, would i get to activate and get out of sight before they activate and fire, do i fore now at a worst modifier, or take up a better firing position, hoping my card comes up again before theirs. Very fun and engaging.

Hope to get some painting done soon and snap some pictures at our next game.