Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
Just be honest and let him know: you have a stutter and it's something that comes out unusually strong in your nervousness during interviews. My last employer used Skype for everything anyway, even if we were sitting right next to each other. I think a lot of places are like that because of the popularity of open floor plans - everyone is wearing headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmx
May 16, 2004

Were I the interviewer, I would just assume you were nervous and not hold it against you.

Devvo
Oct 29, 2010

Stoph posted:

Just be honest and let him know: you have a stutter and it's something that comes out unusually strong in your nervousness during interviews.

I can't even say the word "stutter" most of the time without stuttering. :rimshot:

"Stammer" is just fine though, but it's surprising how many people there are that have never heard of the word.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

dingy dimples posted:

Are those last two good signs, or just euphemisms for "We will never call you back."?

I have a buddy who ultimately received an offer from them who had to do a lot of email/calling just go get promised followups, with huge delays. I'd suggest being persistent.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Do you know or want to know Rails, and what are your opinions on Miami?

PM sent.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

I hope this is the right place. I read this thread all the time but I never thought I might need some advice. I am thinking about returning to full-time employment from working as a consultant and I would appreciate anyone to spot any glaring issues with my new resume. Refer to the *snip*. This is my real information so please don't spam me. :)

I am looking to do full-time web development in the Phoenix area (preferably something modern like Rails or Django) but I only have PHP work experience. I would probably be interested in doing more WordPress front-end web development too but it's a little boring.

This is meant to be paired with my online portfolio (work in progress) at *snip* (please no comments about the WordPress theme!)

Edit: I removed my personal information. Thanks everyone - I got the job.

Stoph fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 26, 2013

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
You say you use github but don't link to it. You might want to use a mixture of bullet-points and prose—A summary of each job as a sentence or two, before moving on to explain some of the technical parts used. I tend to glaze over when confronted with verbose lists.

My resumes have usually included a profile section

As a cheap shot - typography is more than just more levels of indentation and bullet points :3:

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

tef posted:

advice

Thanks a lot, I'll take these ideas into consideration as I revise and rework things next week. And when it comes to typography, I'm certainly a bit clueless sometimes. LateX renders really pretty words though!

meatier shower
Mar 19, 2007
I just graduated last month from a tiny private liberal arts school in Texas with a BA in Computer Science and moved back to the Baltimore area to live at home and save some money. I just got my first offer back and I told them that I needed a few weeks to consider it before I come onboard. It's a mobile development position with a small virtual company, so I'd be exclusively telecommuting. They offered me 52K with two weeks paid vacation and health benefits, as well as a signing bonus so I can buy a new laptop. I mentioned that I was interested in trying coworking and they mentioned being able to pay for that as well. Am I getting a bad deal? People are mentioning much higher starting salaries in the thread, but Baltimore isn't exactly NYC or the Bay Area, and I really like the idea of working for a smaller company, particularly after a bad internship experience with a well-known consulting firm in DC.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I've started to look for internships and it's fairly discouraging to see listings with things like "Extensive project experience or previous internship experience in (7 different areas)" and laundry lists on most of the listings I've come across so far. For someone like me coming from a different background and field, it's getting tough to find anything I feel comfortable applying to. Where do I draw the line in terms of applying for certain positions that list frameworks, APIs, etc, that I've literally never touched? I seem to see that bigger companies are a lot less picky and seem willing to hire people with less professional experience.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

meatier shower posted:

I just graduated last month from a tiny private liberal arts school in Texas with a BA in Computer Science and moved back to the Baltimore area to live at home and save some money. I just got my first offer back and I told them that I needed a few weeks to consider it before I come onboard. It's a mobile development position with a small virtual company, so I'd be exclusively telecommuting. They offered me 52K with two weeks paid vacation and health benefits, as well as a signing bonus so I can buy a new laptop. I mentioned that I was interested in trying coworking and they mentioned being able to pay for that as well. Am I getting a bad deal? People are mentioning much higher starting salaries in the thread, but Baltimore isn't exactly NYC or the Bay Area, and I really like the idea of working for a smaller company, particularly after a bad internship experience with a well-known consulting firm in DC.

It's certainly on the low end, though what kind of mobile development are you talking about? That's a pretty non-specific job description. Also it depends on what other benefits and such make up your total compensation (you mentioned health and vacation, but are there other bonuses/profit sharing/retirement matches/etc.). I imagine they can get away with paying a little less by offering positions that are exclusively telecommute.

I also graduated with a Comp Sci degree from a tiny private liberal arts school in Texas, and my entry-level salary over half a decade ago was about 20% higher than that in Houston, which isn't a very expensive place to live either (it appears to be cheaper by the online things I've checked). But it was also not telecommute (and in fact, involved a non-zero percentage of travel), so that factored in.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

meatier shower posted:

The pay is low but full time WAH with benefits kicks rear end.

Live with your parents, jam your 401k and Roth IRA full of money for a few years while paying off student loans and you'll be totally set.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

meatier shower posted:

What's coworking?

That doesn't sound too bad, although to be honest I'd be leery of exclusively telecommuting for my first job. It just seems like you might miss out on mentorship or picking up good habits that happens naturally when you work in the same space as other devs.

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I've started to look for internships and it's fairly discouraging to see listings with things like "Extensive project experience or previous internship experience in (7 different areas)" and laundry lists on most of the listings I've come across so far. For someone like me coming from a different background and field, it's getting tough to find anything I feel comfortable applying to. Where do I draw the line in terms of applying for certain positions that list frameworks, APIs, etc, that I've literally never touched? I seem to see that bigger companies are a lot less picky and seem willing to hire people with less professional experience.

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I'm not sure what the right answer is, but I'm just going to apply for them anyways as long as the job seems desirable...the worst thing they can do is say no and not call you back.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

meatier shower posted:

How many other possibilities do you have outstanding? If you have a few possibilities and the company doesn't mind waiting a few weeks I would wait and see if you get any other offers and use this as a fall back. Worse case you can take the job, get 1-2 years of experience, and jump to a new job with a nice salary bump. Just in the future jobs don't mention how much you make at your current position.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

meatier shower posted:

If it makes you feel better, I'm a recent grad in New England and here's my package;
-$36k (but I don't need health insurance, so they're paying me that now which just bumped me up ~$41k)
-2 weeks PTO
-5% matching on my IRA.

Want to find a new job, but I do like it here and I'm not confident in my skillset for... anything else. Don't know C or C++, haven't looked at Java in over a year.

meatier shower
Mar 19, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

It's certainly on the low end, though what kind of mobile development are you talking about? That's a pretty non-specific job description. Also it depends on what other benefits and such make up your total compensation (you mentioned health and vacation, but are there other bonuses/profit sharing/retirement matches/etc.). I imagine they can get away with paying a little less by offering positions that are exclusively telecommute.

I also graduated with a Comp Sci degree from a tiny private liberal arts school in Texas, and my entry-level salary over half a decade ago was about 20% higher than that in Houston, which isn't a very expensive place to live either (it appears to be cheaper by the online things I've checked). But it was also not telecommute (and in fact, involved a non-zero percentage of travel), so that factored in.

Specifically, the position is for Android development but with the possibility for some iOS and web work as well. One of the reasons I'm inclined to just accept is because I don't have a lot of experience in any particular area, my resume is kind of all over the place. The last Android work I did was over a year ago and it was a laid-back independent study over the course of two months. I'm not sure about other benefits but I'll be sure to ask. I went to a different tiny private liberal arts school and I think we're sports rivals.

Cicero, coworking is where freelancers and other people who work independently collectively share office facilities. For the next six months I'll be living at home, but after that I'm moving in with some friends in the city where it might be harder to work in my house. I was looking into a membership with Beehive Baltimore, which is a 10 minute bike ride from where I'll be living.

Despite the offer being pretty low, I came out of the interview feeling good about the position. The CEO started the company as a programmer and interviewed me personally, has been a great communicator, etc. He seems pretty invested in making this a good opportunity for me. I've worked from home successfully before and I like that it's a small company where I can be recognized for being proactive, rather than some huge corporation that I'll have a hard time standing out in.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cicero posted:

What's coworking?
When I have heard this term used it refers to a shared space with desks or small offices you can rent for a couple hundred bucks a month. Your rent often covers internet access, conference rooms you can reserve, and sometimes a receptionist who can greet visitors and sign for your FedEx.

That's a nice perk if a company will pony up for that. One of the toughest parts of remote work is separating having fun at home from work. Not just to ensure you don't just sit at home and watch TV on company time, but also to make sure that you don't keep on doing work when you should be having fun with friends and family.

Renting a share of a coworking space can help keep you in the right frame of mind if you are the type who needs to put real clothes on in the morning and act like you are going to work. At the same time you still get to have a workspace that is what you want to make of it.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

To the guy who asked if "under review" was a good sign on Amazon's career site, I got an e-mail asking me to setup a phone interview for an internship. Although, this was from the same person who asked me to interview for a full time position.

Does anyone happen to know if Amazon internship interviews are all over the phone or if they involve going to Seattle as well?

Thanks

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

To the guy who asked if "under review" was a good sign on Amazon's career site, I got an e-mail asking me to setup a phone interview for an internship. Although, this was from the same person who asked me to interview for a full time position.

Does anyone happen to know if Amazon internship interviews are all over the phone or if they involve going to Seattle as well?

Thanks

You'll get 1 or 2 phone screens and then if you do well you'll be brought on for an interview in Seattle.

edit: that's for fulltime positions, I have no idea what it's like for internships

CoasterMaster fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 12, 2013

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

A lot of times those laundry lists are added by somebody other than the person doing the hiring, eg HR. Other times they just added a bunch of stuff to see if they could find some magical person with 20 years Ruby experience or whatever.

In any case, it doesn't hurt to apply if the work looks interesting. From their perspective, a good candidate would ideally be capable of learning the tools fairly quickly anyway. And even if it doesn't pan out, they could have another open position that you'd be a better fit for.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Since the people here seem to know what they're talking about could someone critique my possibly horrible resume?

I've never gone through the resume/interview process to get a "real" job (in development or otherwise) so I have no idea what I'm doing. I have another one with the stuff on the bottom in columns that might look better, but I don't know. Somebody please tell me what you think.

If it matters, I'd love to push the reset button and get an ASP.NET MVC position, or at least something where I can work with and learn from others and be pushed to excel, instead of atrophying in a dead end underpaid government support black hole.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cryolite posted:

Since the people here seem to know what they're talking about could someone critique my possibly horrible resume?

I've never gone through the resume/interview process to get a "real" job (in development or otherwise) so I have no idea what I'm doing. I have another one with the stuff on the bottom in columns that might look better, but I don't know. Somebody please tell me what you think.

If it matters, I'd love to push the reset button and get an ASP.NET MVC position, or at least something where I can work with and learn from others and be pushed to excel, instead of atrophying in a dead end underpaid government support black hole.

First things first, why is "Additional Qualifications" before your main qualifications (i.e. "Familiar Technology")? Your languages and frameworks are more important than being an Eagle Scout.

Another thing is it's kinda text heavy. Remember, it's just a quick, info dump that may be the only thing a recruiter sees and they should be able to digest in half a minute. EDIT: Might be a little unfair here

Like your one job, you're first bullet is, roughly, "made several C# form apps." It's fine to be that wordy but is each bullet point one of those apps? Why doesn't it flow to show that link? Something as simple as a "Such as:" would get the point across.

Lastly, you're "1 credit shy of completion" on your Master's and you're currently enrolled. Will you be graduating in May? If so, change that right this instant to "Expected graduation on [whenever]." Current phrasing makes it sound like you stopped, and you want them to know that you will soon have a Master's.

Also, post that bad boy over here in BFC. It is (now) a thread were people critique resumes. Quite a few know what they're talking about and are on top of the current trends.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 13, 2013

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride

BirdOfPlay posted:

First things first, why is "Additional Qualifications" before your main qualifications (i.e. "Familiar Technology")? Your languages and frameworks are more important than being an Eagle Scout.

You know when you put it like that it does seem kind of silly. I was following a template and had seen some others with the same ordering so I guess I hadn't put too much thought into it. What's a good ordering? Familiar tech, Employment, Education, Projects, Additional Qualifications?

You're right about linking the 2nd and 3rd bullets with the 1st; I'll rework that and then post it in that thread (thanks for pointing it out). Ditto for the education bit.

Thanks!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cryolite posted:

Keep in mind that this is all subjective so by all means feel free to pick and choose which suggestions make sense to you. Also keep in mind that I have the perspective of an engineer, not a manager nor an HR drone. By the time I see a resume, it's already successfully gotten past each of those, so it's likely that they pay closer attention to other things.

Objective:

A lot of people don't have one and I don't understand what they're really for, but in your case having one may be useful, since you're interested in a different type of work than what you've been doing. Otherwise someone could conceivably take a look at your Experience section and wonder why you applied for their position. If you say up front that you're interested in ASP.NET (and make sure your ASP.NET stock project is easy for them to notice) then it'll make a lot more sense to them. You may need to customize the objective to match each job you apply to, depending on how its written.

Employment:

"Completely responsible for the full software development lifecycle of several mid-sized C# Windows Forms applications, including all aspects of requirements gathering, design, development, deployment, and maintenance."

This is too long. There's an odd balance between getting the point across that you're doing important things, and making it appear that you're inflating your work. I feel like a better sentence would just be "Designed, developed, deployed, and maintained several mid-sized C# Windows Forms applications", with a bulleted list following that with some of the more impressive tools and what they do (or is that what the current 2nd-4th bullets are? it's not clear).

I've had totally incompetent coworkers who would talk verbosely in meetings about something that took them weeks to complete when most developers would've done it properly in hours or days. Not saying you're this, but I always assume the worst when doing a 5 second (no exaggeration) skimming of a resume before an interview, and this is something I'd be reminded of. There's a balancing act between taking rightful claim to the things you've accomplished, and looking like you're exaggerating, or worse, turning simple problems into hard problems.

I just realized I wrote two paragraphs on this one line. It's probably not as big of a deal as I make it out to be.

You say "C# Windows Forms" a lot.

I feel its a little vague on what these applications were doing. Some of the descriptions actually sound pretty intriguing; I guess this is a good sign, since it'd ideally entice the reader to ask you more in an interview proper. If what you're working on requires clearance then I 'spose you can't provide too much detail anyway.

The "8 hour task to 10 minutes" line is useful, but still feels a little foggy. When reading that line in my aforementioned "assume the worst" mood, I'd picture a single person using the tool. Did it help a department reach a deadline? Are a lot of people using it now? Are you fielding their feature requests and bug reports? This also applies to the other app descriptions. A lot of them describe how a task was made far easier, but don't describe the impact of this change, like how many people/departments/dollars were helped. This has some context on the mindset.

The "from a nightmare to a dream" line is less useful, and probably shouldn't have a bullet point of its own. The line sounds pretty, but the "8 hour to 10 minutes" bullet preceding it provides far more context. You may want to merge the two lines, or perhaps move the "dream" line above the per-app list so that it applies to all the apps you'd made. :smug:

Education:

The Spring 2013 is enough to say that you're almost done. "1 credit shy" makes it sound like you're giving up or something.

If you've had courses relevant to ASP.NET or web dev then this would be a good place to mention them.

Projects:

The Stock Price project, while interesting, should be shortened or broken down into something that can be skimmed in 5s, because that's likely all it'll be getting. Given that this sounds like the sort of tech you'd like do be using in your next job, you should probably make this project front and center, making it clear that you're so interested in C# ASP.NET MVC4 XYZ that you went off and did a project of your own in it, thereby giving you some experience in it to boot. Also, polish up the project for public viewing and add its URL.

I interpret "etc." as shorthand for "this is the list, but I wanted to make it sound like there were more things". You could get around this by saying something like "Using strategies such as".

Familiar Technologies:

The column format is a bit easier to read at a glance, though it does lose the "most experienced with" vs "familiar with" information. You may want to customize this section for each job you apply to. The blue sub-headers are a little weird given that the rest of the resume is black.

Maybe specify which SQL DB(s) you've been using? I'd assume MSSQL given the stock project, but there may be others you've used as well.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Objective:

I agree about mentioning my objective and highlighting parts of the resume, but I was planning on putting those in a cover letter more suited to complete sentences. Part of my objective is also to actually work with other people for once and have them tear down my bad code (though I'm not sure if I should actually put that in writing), so I'm really afraid of having one of those terrible "team-driven position in a results-oriented environment" objectives (or one that looks like it).

Employment:

I agree it's too wordy and like your wording better, which I'm going to use.

Also, if you "assumed the worst" you'd probably be right, since it is just a few people using this stuff and all I've probably really done is allow them to take a long lunch and spend the rest of the afternoon browsing the internet or something. :sigh: You brought up "fielding their feature requests and bug reports"; isn't this part of maintenance? It's pretty much all I have been doing - does that deserve mention?

I actually had that Patrick McKenzie post in mind when writing that stuff. I've expanded those sub-bullets so they're hopefully not as wishy washy but they might be too wordy (or maybe more wishy washy) now.

Education:

I changed "shy" to "away" so hopefully that conveys I'm still enrolled.

Projects:

I broke this up to make it more scannable.

Progressive JPEG posted:

The blue sub-headers are a little weird given that the rest of the resume is black.

You don't think the blue headers and bullet markers make it pop? They'll make some recruiter/HR person swoon, I'm sure of it.

Thanks for the in-depth critique. Here's the latest with all lists and with columns. I'll post this in the BFC thread.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

So I'm in talks with an awesome potential employer, and he brings up my least favorite subject right away:

quote:

2) What sort of salary requirements are you looking for?

The position is listed from $45k (junior) to $70k (senior). Given my ~3 years of experience I am hesistant to call myself a Senior PHP/JavaScript developer however I do fully meet all of his upper limit requirements. I really want to do about $60k so am I okay in throwing out $60k to $70k as my range? Some people tell me that I should *never* give out numbers, and I don't want to mess this up!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Stoph posted:

So I'm in talks with an awesome potential employer, and he brings up my least favorite subject right away:

The position is listed from $45k (junior) to $70k (senior). Given my ~3 years of experience I am hesistant to call myself a Senior PHP/JavaScript developer however I do fully meet all of his upper limit requirements. I really want to do about $60k so am I okay in throwing out $60k to $70k as my range? Some people tell me that I should *never* give out numbers, and I don't want to mess this up!

Since they gave a range, give the top of the range.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Stoph posted:

If you give 60k~70k range your salary will be 60k. If you give 70k, he might give you 70k, or he might be "how's 65k?"

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

hieronymus posted:

If you give 60k~70k range your salary will be 60k. If you give 70k, he might give you 70k, or he might be "how's 65k?"

Or he might be "pfft this guys salary expectations are unreasonable, NEXT". Just don't give a number: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

awesmoe posted:

Or he might be "pfft this guys salary expectations are unreasonable, NEXT". Just don't give a number: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

I had a professor who pointed me to this series of podcasts about negotiation. I think they're really great. They talk in the tenth (linked) episode about negotiating salary, but some of the earlier ones I think are worth a listen.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
For an internship, I gave a range of $25-35/hr and got an offer for $28. They're not gonna give you the absolute bare minimum possible because they know that if you have two offers, they're gonna be the company who doesn't care enough to do more than is absolutely required to hook someone into a job.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Little resume question about my education. The full bullet point looks like this:

quote:

August 2006 – December 2009: University of Pittsburgh
Majored in Computer Science for about two and a half years (5 semesters), completing all but one (CS 0449, Introduction to Systems) of the core courses for the Computer Science major.

For reference, here's what Pitt lists for their CS degree. I don't know if that's the best way to list it or not, as the mention of what I did complete is a recent addition. The goal was to show that I do have some understanding of the rudiments of CS, which is a positive thing regardless. My main problem with the phrasing is a) it's a negative phrasing (didn't complete all the core classes) and b) it puts the onus on them to figure out what Pitt deems the "core classes" to be.

Is there a better phrasing to use for my education here?

nmx
May 16, 2004

So you didn't get a degree? Do you have relevant work experience?

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

BirdOfPlay posted:

Is there a better phrasing to use for my education here?

https://github.com/BirdOfPlay

dingy dimples
Aug 16, 2004

covener posted:

I have a buddy who ultimately received an offer from them who had to do a lot of email/calling just go get promised followups, with huge delays. I'd suggest being persistent.

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Thanks for the encouragement. Ever since new year's the days have just been dragging by. No change in status, though. What else should I do? Just send a short note to (resume|hr|jobs|hiring)@amazon.com and hope it gets read?

Ten seconds of searching lead me to this: http://blog.mattgoyer.com/technical-interview-at-amazon-sde-and-microsoft-program-manager

quote:

Moral of the story: You need a personal in or some sort of human contact. We’re convinced those resume@ or online resume things are blackholes.

This reflects my experiences so far with both Amazon and Google--despite meeting the minimum requirements and several of the preferred requirements I've gotten nothing but "thanks for applying" emails from both places.

Any tips for being more aggressive and/or changing my game to apply at smaller places?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I may be able to pass things along at Amazon. My team, which does the Kindle Reader app for first-party tablets (so Android-based) currently has 9 devs and we're looking to add a handful more in the coming year. Obviously it helps if you have experience with Android, or barring that, with either other mobile platforms or Java. We (and seemingly every other team at Amazon) are pretty desperate to find competent hires.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Job-hunting, put together a checklist to think about / ask during interviews, to many / not enough? Any other good questions?

Note, that I don't necessarily plan on asking all of them, just all things I need to keep in mind. And roughly, the higher it is in a respective section the more important it is.

pre:
Checklist:

Software:
What kind of software do you use (IDE, Frameworks, Source Control, Communication)?
Do you use FOSS?

Company:
Are you laid back (flexible with timing, massive headphones etc.)?
 *Specifically how often do people work longer than 8 hour days*
Open lines of communication?
How do you see your role as a manager?
Telecomuting?
How big of a team will I be working with?
What's a typical work day like for you? What would my typical work day be like?

Development Cycle:
What is the "plan" (e.g. where the company or the team is trying to get to)?
What's the general process you guys go through to go from conception to something that a customer is using?
Avg length of a release cycle?
What kind of development (Agile / TDD)?
Unit Testing?
Peer reviews?
Build Process?

Code:
C# 4.0+?
Architecture (MVC, n-Tier, cloud etc.)?
Parrallel?

General:
How did the position come about?

Benefits:
Vacation?
Sick?
Personal Days?
401k contributions?

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

dingy dimples posted:

This reflects my experiences so far with both Amazon and Google--despite meeting the minimum requirements and several of the preferred requirements I've gotten nothing but "thanks for applying" emails from both places.

Any tips for being more aggressive and/or changing my game to apply at smaller places?

I can't speak for Google, but Amazon was relatively slow in getting things set up in comparison to Microsoft, who seemed to have the whole thing down to a science. I know at least at Amazon you're very subject to the availability of the team that you'll be interviewing with. During my interview period, I did send an email at once point to find out what the status was and got a prompt response, so it wouldn't hurt if you have an HR contact email to prod at it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nmx posted:

So you didn't get a degree? Do you have relevant work experience?

Nope and don't have relevant work experience either. To be fair, it was this thread that supported the notion that a degree isn't strictly required.

I met with a HS friend over the Christmas and he has given me loads of tips and advice. To top it off, we ended up with a rough outline of a school management program that will, more than likely, be what gets me hired. I'm even going to have weekly check-ins with him, forcing me to design like in a normal dev environment. And I'm super confident that when I hit the pavement for real work (in a month or two), it'll be like what he said about not having a degree: "you need to be awesome to get an interview, but then the interview won't be a problem cause you're awesome." He's really giving me a huge helping hand here. As an aside, he's looking for work to out in Seattle and I'd like to help him out if I could. I just don't know if it'd be in bad form to ask about it here, considering that he's not a goon, etc.

Ha. I do have one, finally, and the aforementioned project will be the showcase piece of my account. Serious question, where do you put a link to your github on a resume? Just add it to the header with your other contact info?