Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

JUST MAKE OUT ALREADY god drat Tamen de Gushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is anyone else reading Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! ? Main character is a girl who missed the first week of high school due to illness and feels stuck with no friends in class. A chance encounter makes her want to "rescue" a beautiful girl in her class from being an otaku (she really doesn't like otaku, and her older brother is one) but in order to do so she needs to learn about and pretend to like their interests to get close to her.

For some reason I found the tabletop chapter hilarious.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Poil posted:

Is anyone else reading Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! ? Main character is a girl who missed the first week of high school due to illness and feels stuck with no friends in class. A chance encounter makes her want to "rescue" a beautiful girl in her class from being an otaku (she really doesn't like otaku, and her older brother is one) but in order to do so she needs to learn about and pretend to like their interests to get close to her.

For some reason I found the tabletop chapter hilarious.

I am, and it's great.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It is really good and I'm glad that her reputation with the rest of her classmates has become "a fashionable otaku"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Shinozaki is indeed good. I like that the lesson the manga espouses is "it's alright to be into nerdy things; as long as you're a cool, interesting person, people will like you well enough."

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most recent comments about it on Batoto are about pedophilia and lolicon, yikes. I wasn't even trying to read any comments this time, just scrolled down a bit and woah.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there is none of that in it. the mc has a brother with gross friends who make gross jokes and are treated as being gross, but they don't do poo poo unless something radically changed recently. it's just a whole bunch of lesbian/otaku jokes

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shinozaki seriously needs to come out of the closet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Davincie posted:

there is none of that in it. the mc has a brother with gross friends who make gross jokes and are treated as being gross, but they don't do poo poo unless something radically changed recently. it's just a whole bunch of lesbian/otaku jokes
There is indeed no lolicon stuff. But you forgot to mention the BL.

It's just the comment section being a comment section.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 16, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

the brother's friends made her spout off some cliche tsundere lines but it was pretty harmless and even the nerdy-rear end brother told them to knock it off after a bit. that's about as bad as it got.

so yeah comments are weird

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Shinozaki manga looks cute and also don't read comments ever

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Shinozaki does a pretty neat job of showing the pros and cons of otaku culture, demonstrating how it can be goofy fun and a good way to make friends but it also has a kinda gross, seedy underbelly.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

read manga comments all the time. it turns manga into a journey you go on, with several very weird individuals.

or in the case of shoujo manga, 14 year old girls from the philipines with poor grasp of english.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I really wish there were straight mangas that were nearly as cute and drama-free as poo poo like Collectors or Tamen de Gushi. Are there any that aren't Bonnouji?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

I really wish there were straight mangas that were nearly as cute and drama-free as poo poo like Collectors or Tamen de Gushi. Are there any that aren't Bonnouji?

You should read and watch My Love Story.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I do both, I somehow forgot about it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You might also be interested in Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-koma Collection.

Edit: Also I feel obligated to evangelize for Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san, but that's probably not really what you're looking for.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 17, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there is this little known cute and drama free manga called ore monogatari

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Nate RFB posted:

Couple more :ohdear: chapters of Yona.

I am so glad the scanlators release the chapters in batches of two. Otherwise I would be :f5:ing all over the place, especially with the recent cliffhangers.

Of course, I'm still doing that because aaaaaaaahhhh

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Stretch 038 straight from the translator's website.

How they gonna stretch their way out of this one?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:ughh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yuri_squid_blue_and_orange#1

If you missed it in the chat thread, apparently love can even bloom on the fields of turf war.

:yeah:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

a kitten posted:

Stretch 038 straight from the translator's website.

How they gonna stretch their way out of this one?

Ruthless stuff

E: Also Ran's coworker and Keiko's friend have almost exactly the same hair which makes them look like twins and it's v. disconcerting.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Cake Attack posted:

read manga comments all the time. it turns manga into a journey you go on, with several very weird individuals.

or in the case of shoujo manga, 14 year old girls from the philipines with poor grasp of english.

i thought i'd check out shinozaki on the thread's rec, and on the topic of kissmanga comments, the first comment on one chapter is a dude having the belated realization that yes you can in fact get people into your hobbies; other comments included people suggesting she get a basement, and stuff how they're very sad that the brother is a gross otaku instead of a pretty otaku

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Speaking of Shinozaki, new chapter!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

chumbler posted:

Shinozaki seriously needs to come out of the closet.

Come out, Shinozaki-san.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Schubalts posted:

Come out, Shinozaki-san.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's cute how this dumb manga is turning into a three stage acceptance story: Accepting that her friends can have gross hobbies, accepting that she might actually like their gross hobbies, and accepting that she is gay as hell.

She'll probably never stop thinking her brother is gross, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

By Kentaro Miura, the author of Berserk.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Kaelan Zero posted:

It's cute how this dumb manga is turning into a three stage acceptance story: Accepting that her friends can have gross hobbies, accepting that she might actually like their gross hobbies, and accepting that she is gay as hell.

She'll probably never stop thinking her brother is gross, though.

As is only right

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terper posted:

By Kentaro Miura, the author of Berserk.
:lol:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of which, new chapter!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
New chapter of Mizutama Honey Boy came out!

I, too, like strong people. :swoon:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nondevor posted:

Sengoku is the best. Everyone in this is great.

And I will join you and 90% of this manga in crushing on Sengoku.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fuji is my waifu.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was everyone in the bottom panel when I hit that page.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nondevor posted:

My god, all those siblings. Lost it at, "DON'T DISAPPEAR AT SUCH AN IMPORTANT TIME FIRSTBORN SON!" :argh:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

chumbler posted:

I was everyone in the bottom panel when I hit that page.

:agreed:

This is the first manga where the background characters accurately represent my reactions 100% of the time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"I'm going to be a wife like Fuji-kun when I grow up! "

This series :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was initially a bit worried that the whole Fuji acting gay to make people uncomfortable thing would end up overused and bad, and while it's still used very frequently, it's kind of countered by Fuji giving every appearance of being totally comfortable with who he is. It remains to be seen what they'll do with Sengoku feeling kind of ashamed at not being into or (in her mind) suited for girly things, but I hope/expect that a big part of the story is going to be her getting over that, because she is so far apparently the only one who really thinks that way about herself. A central theme of owning the type of person you are would be nice.