Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faux Pas
May 30, 2003

Anything for a smile.

NaturalLow posted:

This is a kind of weird but :barf: question for people with Paragard (or Mirena too I guess). Did you notice a uh weird smell for a while down there? I'm worried that it could be something like BV, but I've had that once before and it doesn't feel the same. I know it sounds nutty, but I swear it's kind of a metallic/coppery smell with no other symptoms to speak of. I've heard a few other people mention this on other forums, but they also have some crazy ideas about IUDs so I didn't out much stock in it until now. It's really gross and kind of annoying, so I'm hoping this is a temporary thing.

Also do your cramps kind of get on a schedule? It's the weirdest thing since I'm fine all day long, but right around 10 or 11 at night I get super crampy. This one isn't a pressing question, I just thought it was weird and got curious.

Sorry I keep asking so many questions about this thing! I'm an IUD noob, my follow-up appointment isn't for another month, and my doctor is great but very hard to get on the phone.

I haven't noticed any smells in the last five months while on the Paragard though I have noticed a lot more discharge during my first month with it. I've also had some intense cramping in between cycles granted heavy activity provoked it, especially during the day after a workout. I swear by vitamin E these days though because it really helped ease up my cramps overall (even during menstruation). I highly suggest giving it a shot for at least a month.

But these symptoms have generally tapered off to none existence especially now that it's been nearly half a year. In fact, I'm on my second day of period (usually the heaviest) as I type this and I hadn't need to take any doses of naproxen which is making me wonder if the IUD has finally settled in. :D I did take some acetaminophen though which is less effective than naproxen.

My flow isn't even heavy either taking up only half a menstrual cup in the last four hours.

Faux Pas fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

It may have just been a weird period related thing because it finally eased up a few days after my period was over. I was just kind of freaked out that it might be an infection. I've definitely been getting a lot of random cramping spells, but I can usually ride them out or take some ibuprofen if they won't quit. The really strong ones are the only ones that bother me since the feeling kind of radiates into my legs.

I've already been doing the vitamin E thing. I heard a lot of people swear by it, so I took it all through my period/recovery time. It may have been since I was still sort of under the influence of the pill, but the bleeding didn't really seem any heavier to me than my natural (no pill) period and it lasted about the same length of time.

I'm not bleeding or anything now so I'm loving it. I've only been off the hormones for about a week and a half so, but I already feel kind of like a teenager between the greasy skin and my libido suddenly shooting through the roof. After almost 4 years I kind of forgot what it was like to really desire sex instead of just doing it out of routine. It's also the first time in years that I've gone more than a week without a headache or migraine.

Medium Blue
Jan 19, 2012
Here's something weird. After getting my copper IUD, I've started having ovulation pains. I mean obviously I can't be perfectly sure that's what they are, but the cramps always happen just a day or two after I start producing fertile cervical mucus. It's utterly bizarre. The pain is even just localised enough that I can tell whether it's on the right or left.

I also still have spotting between periods even though it's been quite some time since I got the IUD. Like a year?

Otherwise my periods aren't awful crampy messes any more - still heavier than pre-IUD but not the torrential action they were for a good long while.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure why that's weird. Unless you never had mittelschmerz before. But it can totally start happening and unless it's just awful or starts getting worse and lasting, I wouldn't worry about it.

Some ibu usually will knock it out. I had terrible mittelschmerz when I was a teen. Felt like my ovary was being ripped out. And I could totally tell which side it was on. My body liked my right ovary better.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I've heard of women getting ovulation pain and cramping after getting an IUD even if they had none previously. No idea why though. I haven't had much time to ovulate yet so I guess it remains to be seen with me (I never had it before).

I wonder though, how on earth can you tell when you have the whole fertile cervical mucus thing going on? Because I've had that crazy discharge people seem to get with IUDs since day one and it looks exactly the same to me.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
My gf and I use coitus interruptus and most recently had sex today. I didn't pee between sessions.

Articles say the precum can push out stragglers from my urethra, but I've never seen precum during sex or masturbation. I've only seen it when I'm edging while jerking off and right before the point of no return I stop masturbating. Then my penis dribbles a little.

Even then research states that precum doesn't have sperm in it.

Are we OK?

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 18, 2013

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Get Plan B if you're worried.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Geolicious posted:

Get Plan B if you're worried.

We have used it. It's free in Canada. It does give her extra long periods though.

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 18, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

GiveUpNed posted:

Are we OK?

There's no way we could know that. You guys should probably talk about using another method of birth control if you don't want to get a baby.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

GiveUpNed posted:

We have used it. It's free in Canada. It does give her extra long periods though.
I'm probably making assumptions, but don't make this a habit. As Eggplant Wizard said, if you don't want a baby then you need to use some other form of contraception.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
I use the pull out method too, actually. Statistically, as long as you're not a horny teenage/young man with little control, it is about the same as average condom use. Not STI protection though. I've played the birth control rodeo enough and haven't found a method that doesn't make me feel sick or have terrible menstrual cycles (IUD, different pills, patch, ring, etc). Some women just don't respond well to birth control. As long as your diligent and have an agreed upon a back up plan if there is an accident- coitus interruptus isn't a bad option.

But my husband and I have a strict rule about peeing between sessions so there are no swimmers in the tubes. GiveUp Ned, if I were your girlfriend, I'd use Plan B just in case.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Eponymous Bosch posted:

I use the pull out method too, actually. Statistically, as long as you're not a horny teenage/young man with little control, it is about the same as average condom use. Not STI protection though. I've played the birth control rodeo enough and haven't found a method that doesn't make me feel sick or have terrible menstrual cycles (IUD, different pills, patch, ring, etc). Some women just don't respond well to birth control. As long as your diligent and have an agreed upon a back up plan if there is an accident- coitus interruptus isn't a bad option.

But my husband and I have a strict rule about peeing between sessions so there are no swimmers in the tubes. GiveUp Ned, if I were your girlfriend, I'd use Plan B just in case.

You might also want to look into combining it with something like FAM (Fertility Awareness). It also takes diligence on your part, since it goes beyond just looking at a calendar and estimating based on your usual cycle. But at least that way you actually know when you're fertile.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

NaturalLow posted:

You might also want to look into combining it with something like FAM (Fertility Awareness). It also takes diligence on your part, since it goes beyond just looking at a calendar and estimating based on your usual cycle. But at least that way you actually know when you're fertile.

I do, actually.

In fact my last job was consulting with patients about birth control options for an established clinic and advocacy group. I never mentioned FAM or pull out to patients, if you're curious. But the data suggests that with diligence pull out is about the same effectiveness as condoms. Also I have no moral/personal objections to abortion and my husband and I are on the same page with regards to an accidental pregnancy. So I'm willing to take my chances if it means I don't have the terrible side effects right now. When I lose my current (awesome) insurance that covers hospital abortion and Plan B I might reconsider my current method.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Medium Blue posted:

Here's something weird. After getting my copper IUD, I've started having ovulation pains. I mean obviously I can't be perfectly sure that's what they are, but the cramps always happen just a day or two after I start producing fertile cervical mucus. It's utterly bizarre. The pain is even just localised enough that I can tell whether it's on the right or left.

I also still have spotting between periods even though it's been quite some time since I got the IUD. Like a year?

Otherwise my periods aren't awful crampy messes any more - still heavier than pre-IUD but not the torrential action they were for a good long while.

If it makes you feel better, I think I'm in the same boat now. I've never had ovulation pains before in my life, but all day yesterday I had this incredibly annoying pain localized around my ovary on the left. The pain is gone now, but I've had some cramping/random spotting today and it hit me that it's been just a little over 14 days since I stopped taking active BC pills. I'm not 100% sure that's what it is since my cycle might still be irregular, but combined with the massive headache and general crankiness I've had today I'm pretty sure.

And yes ibuprofen took care of it like a charm.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

GiveUpNed posted:

Update y'all. I bought birth control. It cost $25 for two pills. She took them 2 - 2 1/2 days after the incident.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

GiveUpNed posted:

Update y'all. I bought birth control. It cost $25 for two pills. She took them 2 - 2 1/2 days after the incident.

2.5 days after the incident gives it a pretty low chance of being successful and remember, the more times the use it the less effective it gets.

Baghead
Apr 23, 2005

dis da shit rite hurr
Hey ladies! I'm in dire need of some suggestions regarding birth control. I had a partial thyroidectomy a bit over a year ago and that's seemed to change how some BC works for me. In case it helps - I take both levothyroxine and cytomel and have had my thyroid levels under control for the majority of the year.

Initially I was on Yaz for approximately 4 years, but post thyroid removal it gradually started making me severely depressed and giving me crippling migraines. I had absolutely no problems with it prior to that. I stopped taking it and had a Mirena IUD inserted in August. Insertion was easy, but side effects have flared up over the past months.

The hormones from the IUD have made me very depressed and constantly on edge. My face has also exploded with the worst hormonal acne. While on Yaz my acne cleared up completely, so dealing with it again is just even more crushing.

I'll be getting the Mirena removed this week. I'm still not sure what to do once my hormones level out, however. Is anyone out there in a similar boat or has experienced similar things? I'm seriously considering Paraguard, but I'm wondering as well if a different combo pill might be beneficial with little to no side effects - especially for my skin.

Thanks for any suggestions you can throw my way!

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

Tigntink posted:

2.5 days after the incident gives it a pretty low chance of being successful and remember, the more times the use it the less effective it gets.

No. You have 72 hours (3 days) to take it after unprotected intercourse for it to be effective and no peer reviewed scientific studies have shown that multiple uses lessen the effectiveness rate. Although, it is recommended that it be taken no more than once a month due to the risk of side effects.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Baghead posted:

Hey ladies! I'm in dire need of some suggestions regarding birth control. I had a partial thyroidectomy a bit over a year ago and that's seemed to change how some BC works for me. In case it helps - I take both levothyroxine and cytomel and have had my thyroid levels under control for the majority of the year.

Initially I was on Yaz for approximately 4 years, but post thyroid removal it gradually started making me severely depressed and giving me crippling migraines. I had absolutely no problems with it prior to that. I stopped taking it and had a Mirena IUD inserted in August. Insertion was easy, but side effects have flared up over the past months.

The hormones from the IUD have made me very depressed and constantly on edge. My face has also exploded with the worst hormonal acne. While on Yaz my acne cleared up completely, so dealing with it again is just even more crushing.

I'll be getting the Mirena removed this week. I'm still not sure what to do once my hormones level out, however. Is anyone out there in a similar boat or has experienced similar things? I'm seriously considering Paraguard, but I'm wondering as well if a different combo pill might be beneficial with little to no side effects - especially for my skin.

I didn't have the thyroid issues, but I did have the crippling migraines and depression problems on the pill. Honestly I only switched pills once because I really couldn't afford to go out and fill prescriptions every few months (since the clinic I went to only offered a few brands for free and anything else was on me) and for a long time I managed to live with it. I had the same problems on low-dose and higher-dose versions, but as I said I didn't switch a lot and those were variations of the same brand of pill.

I went with Paragard (which you probably know since I've posted so much). I haven't had it long, but if you have any questions about it feel free. I will say the migraines and headaches have improved significantly. For example I actually had a migraine yesterday, but it went away with a couple of Aleve - on the pill my migraines eventually became 24-36 hour long ordeals that no medication would even touch.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Tigntink posted:

Really? She's only used it once before. I just read it should be taken within 72 hours. You really need to site sources before you make claims. http://planb.ca/faq.html

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

GiveUpNed posted:

Have you guys thought about using a spermicide as a back up for pulling out? There are a couple of different kinds, foams, films and little ovules. Some people can have reactions to them (usually itching or dryness afterward) but if they don't bother either of you then there are less side effects than Plan B. I think the foam is effective as soon as you use it and the others vary in wait time (~10-15 min) and duration it lasts (something like 3-6 hours if I remember correctly)

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

GoodBee posted:

Have you guys thought about using a spermicide as a back up for pulling out? There are a couple of different kinds, foams, films and little ovules. Some people can have reactions to them (usually itching or dryness afterward) but if they don't bother either of you then there are less side effects than Plan B. I think the foam is effective as soon as you use it and the others vary in wait time (~10-15 min) and duration it lasts (something like 3-6 hours if I remember correctly)

No. What are your recommended brands?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Baghead posted:

Mirena has the least hormone of any hormonal birth control options. If you are reacting even to that, then I'd probably give up on hormonal stuff entirely and go for a Paragard. Are you sure that the acne and depression are the result of the Mirena, as opposed to the result of not being on Yaz? Combined hormonal pills (like Yaz) have been known to help with acne, so it may just be that between that and the thyroid removal, your body now thinks you should have acne. Depression and mood changes could also be caused by life stuff or the thyroid removal or the medication you are presumably on for thyroid stuff (? I am under the impression that you have to take medication if you have a removal). Four years is a really long time and your body chemistry has clearly changed. That happens even to women without thyroid issues; sometimes after several years a pill that used to be fine will start causing side effects, for example. I think it would be a good idea for you to go off birth control entirely (use condoms or something) for at least three months and see what your body settles into. You need to find out what your new baseline "normal" is, post-thyroid removal, before you can really make judgments about the best course of action.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I think I just want to switch back to the NuvaRing and take my chances with it making me insane again. This patch refuses to stay on no matter where I put it and I'm dealthy afraid of having sex because of that because I just know that because it isn't sticking right, it's not doing it's job and I'll immediately get pregnant. It isn't doing much of anything for the endo pain either, and really it seems to have made it worse. I just don't know.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

GiveUpNed posted:

The longer you wait to take it within the 72 hours, the less effective it becomes. The sooner you take it, the better. If she can, she should buy an extra one later to have on hand for future emergencies. Hopefully you won't need it, but you wouldn't have to worry about getting to the pharmacy quickly if the need arose.

And I wouldn't call it birth control, as it isn't. It's an emergency contraceptive.

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

Unleashing the Fire Within
Female, turn 37 on Friday, smoke, have endometriosis. Had major surgery for it about 7-8 years ago - lost an ovary in the process. Took birth control until I turned 35, stopped (because smoking/over 35), but recently had my gyno try to convince me to get a Mirena IUD.

After years of trying BC after BC (ended up using Loestrin FE long term) and hating all the side effects (decreased sex drive mostly), I was seriously reluctant to just shove something up my uterus without trying the actual medication first. So, my gyno placed me on a progesterone only BC pill so I could try it for a year and see if I liked it.

Long story short, I took it for 3-4 months, HATED the side effects and decided to stop taking it on November 13th. Worst side effects of any pill I've ever been on - sore breasts ALL the time, sex drive seriously declined, 7-8 day long periods (normal periods for me are 4 days, sometimes 5 days TOPS), weight gain (10+ lbs in the months - holy hell!), etc.

I was on my period when I stopped taking it - at the end of it basically. I didn't start my period again until December 8th - normal 5 day period - ended up being a 31 day cycle that month. When I say cycle, I mean the entire cycle from start of one period until the start of next period.

I've always been an average 25 day cycle with a few shorter or longer ones a couple of times a year. No biggie. I figured this may happen, as my body needs to adjust to being off it. Next period starts on the 23rd of Dec. - normal 5 days long - which makes that cycle 16 days. Ok, ok, no big deal. Next period starts on January 9th - 4 days long. Another short cycle - 18 days, but all seems to be normalizing.

What am I here for? I started my period AGAIN on January 18th - 5 DAYS after my last period ended - which makes this cycle only 10 days long! 5th day in and I'm still bleeding like it's the first day of my period. I usually go 2-3 days with consistent bleeding and by the 4th day, it's usually less and then either ends all together or I spot lightly for another day or so. This weirdness has never happened to me before and I've certainly never ever had two periods SO close together, even after trying TONS of pills throughout my lifetime.

I've been off the pill for exactly 2 months and one week. Should I be worried or is my body still trying to "normalize" after jacking it up with that pill? Should I run to the doctor to find out what's going on?

Baghead
Apr 23, 2005

dis da shit rite hurr

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Mirena has the least hormone of any hormonal birth control options. If you are reacting even to that, then I'd probably give up on hormonal stuff entirely and go for a Paragard. Are you sure that the acne and depression are the result of the Mirena, as opposed to the result of not being on Yaz? Combined hormonal pills (like Yaz) have been known to help with acne, so it may just be that between that and the thyroid removal, your body now thinks you should have acne. Depression and mood changes could also be caused by life stuff or the thyroid removal or the medication you are presumably on for thyroid stuff (? I am under the impression that you have to take medication if you have a removal). Four years is a really long time and your body chemistry has clearly changed. That happens even to women without thyroid issues; sometimes after several years a pill that used to be fine will start causing side effects, for example. I think it would be a good idea for you to go off birth control entirely (use condoms or something) for at least three months and see what your body settles into. You need to find out what your new baseline "normal" is, post-thyroid removal, before you can really make judgments about the best course of action.

I'm fairly certain the Mirena is to blame. I stopped the Yaz at the beginning of July and had Mirena inserted at the dead-end of August - was about two months of no hormones. I did feel pretty miserable for a few weeks after the Yaz, but was feeling pretty good by October. Also only had a slight breakout that first week post-Yaz, but it wasn't too bad and cleared up quickly. Since very late November is when I started to really notice the acne and depression again, which have just continued to go downhill.

I do take thyroid meds daily and have since a couple months after the surgery. My levels are typically checked every 10-12 weeks and my doctor and I have found the general range that I feel best at. It took a few months of being on medication before I started to notice any problems - migraines, depression, etc - all which gradually got worse. It wasn't until late June that I went in to the gyno, who made the connection that it likely was due to the thyroid changes.

Staying off of all BC for a few months definitely sounds like the best idea, though - thanks! It will be a good time to do some more research, as well.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

GiveUpNed posted:

No. What are your recommended brands?

I liked the film the best. I've used this one too. It was messier. It created a lot more liquid than the film but was a little easier to insert. This is the foam. I haven't tried it since I never saw it in stores. Apparently it's hard to find. I picked up the other 2 from the corner drug store.

I have experienced a slight burning before. It was usually if I used 2 back to back or fell asleep with out peeing first. I never heard any complaints from my partner.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GoodBee posted:

I liked the film the best. I've used this one too. It was messier. It created a lot more liquid than the film but was a little easier to insert. This is the foam. I haven't tried it since I never saw it in stores. Apparently it's hard to find. I picked up the other 2 from the corner drug store.

I have experienced a slight burning before. It was usually if I used 2 back to back or fell asleep with out peeing first. I never heard any complaints from my partner.

If there's a free clinic or something around, they might have the foam. I know the place I used to go to get my pills would always insist on giving me a bag of condoms and a fairly large container of spermicidal foam (although I never used the stuff myself.)

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Hi thread! I saw my GP today(well, a GP because apparently my usual is on sabbatical, but this guy was really cool anyway) for my pill checkup, and he was very impressed that I thought to mention my headacheless migraine auras to him. Most people who have painless migraines, like me, don't realise that it's actually a migraine they're having, so when you're being prescribed BC and get asked 'Do you get migraines?' you go 'Oh, headaches? Nah'. So thanks for that advice, thread :3:

We discussed my estrogen-less options, so now I'm going to be trying out a mini-pill for 3 months to make sure the hormones don't totally gently caress me up, then hopefully I can get the implant and not have to worry about this poo poo for another 3 years! Yaay!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

GiveUpNed posted:

Really? She's only used it once before. I just read it should be taken within 72 hours. You really need to site sources before you make claims. http://planb.ca/faq.html

It was actually something said in this thread a while back. I guess the study wasn't peer reviewed so grain of salt but you shouldn't be having to use it often since it is only for emergencies. But the longer you wait with in the 72 hour period the less effective it gets, as Reformed Tomboy said. The faster you take it the better.

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?
Alright, so I got the Mirena IUD 4 months ago after nearly 2 years of no hormonal BC. Weight gain was almost instantaneous. I know people in this thread have said that hormonal BC doesn't cause weight gain, but it does increase appetite which in turn causes weight gain. My appetite has not increased since getting the Mirena. In fact, I've been eating less and really cutting my calories because I noticed the weight gain. The weight will not come off at all and it just keeps increasing. I never had weight gain like this while on the pill. It's really frustrating. I've also been spotting for 4 months straight which is a real pain and has ruined countless pairs of underwear. I've been having headaches pretty regularly as well. Also, my sex drive started to go down and now I have next to no interest. I feel pretty blah and tend to sleep a lot on my days off.

I talked about all this with my doctor a month ago. She told me that one side effect can be weight gain but no more than 15 pounds and it would probably not come off until the Mirena was removed. Since then I have cut calories and increased my activity but I continue to gain weight so I don't think I'll be stopping at 15 extra pounds. I have an appointment in about a week to have it removed and maybe get ParaGard instead. I'm not really thrilled about the longer, heavier, more painful periods and was really looking forward to no periods with Mirena :(.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sexily posted:

Alright, so I got the Mirena IUD 4 months ago after nearly 2 years of no hormonal BC. Weight gain was almost instantaneous. I know people in this thread have said that hormonal BC doesn't cause weight gain, but it does increase appetite which in turn causes weight gain. My appetite has not increased since getting the Mirena. In fact, I've been eating less and really cutting my calories because I noticed the weight gain. The weight will not come off at all and it just keeps increasing. I never had weight gain like this while on the pill. It's really frustrating. I've also been spotting for 4 months straight which is a real pain and has ruined countless pairs of underwear. I've been having headaches pretty regularly as well. Also, my sex drive started to go down and now I have next to no interest. I feel pretty blah and tend to sleep a lot on my days off.

I talked about all this with my doctor a month ago. She told me that one side effect can be weight gain but no more than 15 pounds and it would probably not come off until the Mirena was removed. Since then I have cut calories and increased my activity but I continue to gain weight so I don't think I'll be stopping at 15 extra pounds. I have an appointment in about a week to have it removed and maybe get ParaGard instead. I'm not really thrilled about the longer, heavier, more painful periods and was really looking forward to no periods with Mirena :(.

If it makes you feel any better, the longer painful periods thing is temporary for most people (from what I've heard anyway). After a few months things tend to go back to normal, more or less. And in my experience so far, the cramps aren't much different from what I normally get, except now occasionally there will be a bad one that kind of stops me in my tracks for a few seconds. Ibuprofen and a heating pad takes care of it.

Of course your mileage might vary on that, especially if you have a history of really horrible painful cramps already or something.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Have you had everything else checked out to make sure it is all OK? (TSH, glucose, etc)

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?

Geolicious posted:

Have you had everything else checked out to make sure it is all OK? (TSH, glucose, etc)

I haven't had bloodwork done recently but it's kind of telling that all this started happening as soon as I got the Mirena.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that's pretty coincidental. But, if it's not resolved with the removal (and I hope it is) have some other things checked out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I think my first natural period with the Paragard is about to hit because I've had some spotting and WOW the cramps! I haven't felt anything like this since insertion day.

Edit: Just have to say I'm so glad they still make those Thermacare stick on heating pads. Feeling better already (even if my pants are a tiny bit crinkly now). It's also far less painful than having 2-3 debilitating migraines a month and a constant mild headache. A month or so out and I still have no signs of either except for one (that went away after a few hours). :)

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 27, 2013

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?

NaturalLow posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the longer painful periods thing is temporary for most people (from what I've heard anyway). After a few months things tend to go back to normal, more or less. And in my experience so far, the cramps aren't much different from what I normally get, except now occasionally there will be a bad one that kind of stops me in my tracks for a few seconds. Ibuprofen and a heating pad takes care of it.

Of course your mileage might vary on that, especially if you have a history of really horrible painful cramps already or something.

I hardly ever cramped before so the cramping after the Mirena was inserted was quite the experience.

Geolicious posted:

Yeah, that's pretty coincidental. But, if it's not resolved with the removal (and I hope it is) have some other things checked out.

That's my plan but I'm starting to second-guess my decision. Maybe I should give it more time for my body to adjust but I'm afraid more time will just mean more weight that will be hard to get rid of. I'm just very discouraged by it all and I can tell I'm getting more and more depressed.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It's very frustrating and discouraging. I have Type II and hypothyroidism, and even with meds, getting rid of my extra weight is nearly impossible without starving myself. It has definitely destroyed my self esteem and self worth.

I hope you get it straightened out very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sexily posted:

I hardly ever cramped before so the cramping after the Mirena was inserted was quite the experience.

I suppose my next post after that one was kind of hilarious timing! But still as bad as the cramping has been today, it's still nothing I can't handle with pain relievers and heat so I hope that post didn't put you off.

• Locked thread