Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I was thinking of it more like the Bridgeburners, and gaining a cult following later on. Fiddler, and Hedge in particular, have some weird stuff going on with them. For the most part the sappers are not quite normal humans. Crump is probably the next most prominent and he's barely human himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

bigmcgaffney posted:

I was thinking of it more like the Bridgeburners, and gaining a cult following later on. Fiddler, and Hedge in particular, have some weird stuff going on with them. For the most part the sappers are not quite normal humans. Crump is probably the next most prominent and he's barely human himself.

I always thought less of the sapper mythology as a cult and more like a reputation. They weren't worshipped but people knew them and new they were crazy.

I haven't finished the series (book 8) so maybe it gets more overt later with Fiddler/Hedge (and I still don't get the significance of Fiddler's songs/violins).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

amuayse posted:

Well I'm just surprised they weren't so surprised. Just either complete possession or depressing acceptance like it's just a new job. There doesn't seem to be any "Whoa, I know Kung Fu" moments except for maybe Ganoes.
That's at least in part because that's probably not the sort of person a god wants to grant their power to. There are a few examples along the lines of 'woah look what I can do,' especially later, but more often than not they are servants of TCG or just don't very well with their newfound talents.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

But the Bridgeburners didn't just get a cult following, they ascended as a result of the Tanno Spiritwalker's song, and this includes both Fiddler and Hedge (whose ability to come back hinges on said ascension).

As a whole, sappers are very human and mortal, they're just viewed with apprehension by their fellow soldiers because they have to be a little unbalanced to voluntarily carry volatile munitions.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

apophenium posted:

As expansive as Erikson's magic system is, I was surprised there aren't any warrens that deal with time, at least not explicitly. I can't imagine the ramifications that would have on the plot, but it would be a little fun I'm sure.

The Eres explicitly utilises time travel, pretty much whenever she appears.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I was just extrapolating into the future guys, Malazan the postmodern masterpiece etc

I don't remember exactly, but the Boles are... something else.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

I was just extrapolating into the future guys, Malazan the postmodern masterpiece etc

I don't remember exactly, but the Boles are... something else.

They are ken dolls made by the jaghut equivalent of mattel

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

They are ken dolls made by the jaghut equivalent of mattel

Wasn't that theory just mentioned once in passing by a third hand source, and even then in a highly speculative fashion?

All we really know is the Boles have some level of magic resistance - or perhaps the better way to put it is that magic is vulnerable to them, as they've not only shrugged off magic attacks but have also inflicted unexpectedly heavy damage on magical creatures with their bare hands.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Habibi posted:

Wasn't that theory just mentioned once in passing by a third hand source, and even then in a highly speculative fashion?

All we really know is the Boles have some level of magic resistance - or perhaps the better way to put it is that magic is vulnerable to them, as they've not only shrugged off magic attacks but have also inflicted unexpectedly heavy damage on magical creatures with their bare hands.

One of the jaghuts in forge of darkness makes a set of dolls called the bolead. There's a passing reference to the boles being the bolead in dod or tcg. Same dude who made the nachts. I'll remember the name when i reread that joker

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Edit: ^^

Now that I think about it, it's almost explicitly stated in Forge Of Darkness, by the jaghut who makes the dolls.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 27, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

One of the jaghuts in forge of darkness makes a set of dolls called the bolead. There's a passing reference to the boles being the bolead in dod or tcg. Same dude who made the nachts. I'll remember the name when i reread that joker

Okay that makes sense. The whole point of my current reread is so I can jump into FoD without getting too lost, and the only mention in it pre-TCG is in, I think, TtH when the Trygalle encounter the Jaghut who cursed the women on the island.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hey guys I'm on my reread and already on Book Four, which I can confirm is much more fun when you know what is happening rather than 'Jesus Christ what the hell is this huge departure?!'

I was browsing Amazon for Malazan stuff speculatively and saw there are audiobooks. I was unaware of this. Does anyone know if they are any good? I might look to acquire them as a potential revisit to the series (for a third time, I know!) years down the line.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Exactly how famous are the Bridgeburners and specifically Whiskeyjack?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

amuayse posted:

I… I don't even know how to respond to this. Very?

Edit: this famous

Gardens of the Moon posted:

Bridgeburners. They'd been the old Emperor's elite, his favourites, but since Laseen's bloody coup nine years ago they'd been pushed hard into every rat's nest in sight. Almost a decade of this had cut them down to a single, undermanned division. Among them, names had emerged. The survivors, mostly squad sergeants, names that pushed their way into the Malazan armies on Genabackis, and beyond. Names, spicing the already sweeping legend of Onearm's Host. Detoran, Antsy, Spindle, Whiskeyjack. Names heavy with glory and bitter with the cynicism that every army feeds on. They carried with them like an emblazoned standard the madness of this unending campaign.

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 28, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

Pretty much everyone on Genebackis and, even more so, Seven Cities knows who they are. At least one culture worships him. It helps that their experience in Raraku granted them longer life spans, so they've been around for a loooong time.

e: I would also expect that most places that have heard of the Malazan empire have hears of the BBs.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
For such a minor character I still laugh to myself over Crump. Erikson is great at that. The cast is loving huge but he puts enough into each one you're always left with a memory of them.

Don't even get me started on Nefarias Bredd.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Bluedust posted:

For such a minor character I still laugh to myself over Crump. Erikson is great at that. The cast is loving huge but he puts enough into each one you're always left with a memory of them.

Don't even get me started on Nefarias Bredd.

then there's beak...

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I loved Kindly and Corporal Sergeant Liuetenant Pores

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

uh zip zoom posted:

then there's beak...

I actually teared up at Beak. All he knew were the candles, he did what he could. :(

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I really like Maybe because I'm a sucker for terrible puns.

On an unrelated note, I recently started a reread of this and oh my god somehow I forgot what a hateable person Felisin is in Deadhouse Gates. I don't remember her being quite as bad in HoC but I'm still not looking forward to her sections there.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I personally loved the comedy duo of Korbal Broach and Bauchelain. Kinda odd how some of the most lighthearted characters (organ dolls aside) in the series are a couple of necromancers.
I miss Iskaral Pust too.
I wish Ormulogun and Gumble the Toad appeared again.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 28, 2013

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Bluedust posted:

I actually teared up at Beak. All he knew were the candles, he did what he could. :(

Oh my god I just finished this chapter and I was a dumb blubbering baby at this part and at the conclusion of Awl battle. Why must you do this to me, Erikson? :arghfist::saddowns:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

uh zip zoom posted:

then there's beak...

Beak was my favorite character in that book, and I loved the way he described magic and how he controlled it.

Now that I have finished the books, I have b started reading the Reread of the fallen, and, wow, have I completely missed a lot of the foreshadowing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Forge of Darkness stuff

So the Tiste were originally part of the world of the Malazan books but end up getting shifted into a warren by Mother Darks power kind of like the imperial warren? In Malazan they are treated as something alien to the world so this is a weird thing to wrap my mind around. Also should I know Draconus's son from the Malazon books or is he totally new? The section in the book about Burn's dream was probably one of my favorite parts of book because it finally made sense to me just why she was so important.

Also where does the K'Chain Che'Malle are from space thing come from? It is in the first post of the thread but I never got any hints of this in any of the books.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 28, 2013

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Forge of Darkness stuff

So the Tiste were originally part of the world of the Malazan books but end up getting shifted into a warren by Mother Darks power kind of like the imperial warren? In Malazan they are treated as something alien to the world so this is a weird thing to wrap my mind around. Also should I know Draconus's son from the Malazon books or is he totally new? The section in the book about Burn's dream was probably one of my favorite parts of book because it finally made sense to me just why she was so important.

Also where does the K'Chain Che'Malle are from space thing come from? It is in the first post of the thread but I never got any hints of this in any of the books.

Draconus's son is new but there's speculation that he could be someone we've seen before in the main series. I think some people thought he could be that officer with the ice powers from the battle against the Short Tails at the end of Dust of Dreams. There were some other theories about him and the female Tiste that was with the Jaghut(I'm terrible at remembering the names of all these new characters) that I can't recall the details of right now, but if you look back in the thread around the date when FoD was originally released you'll be able to find some of them.

Loving Life Partner posted:

I loved Kindly and Corporal Sergeant Liuetenant Pores

Yeah, they were great, they were probably my favorite comic subplot that Erikson had going with the Marines.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lofty132 posted:

I was browsing Amazon for Malazan stuff speculatively and saw there are audiobooks. I was unaware of this. Does anyone know if they are any good? I might look to acquire them as a potential revisit to the series (for a third time, I know!) years down the line.

I've only listened to the Forge of Darkness one, which has a different narrator than the rest, but it was really good. It's also 32 hours long, so you really get your money's worth. For some reason he decided that all the Azathani have heavy scottish accents, but at least it sets them apart. He does a decent job of giving all the characters different voices.

Listening to Erikson is a different experience because it's much harder to flip back a page or two (or even a few chapters) to remind yourself who a particular character is, and FoD has scads of them. When I read Malazan I often find myself backtracking a little to try to suss out any details I missed, and that's tough when you have to just seek around an audio file. On the other hand, it gives you time to really savor the scene-setting and miscellaneous stuff it can be easy to glaze through when you're reading the book. FoD also has some of the most extreme brutality of any book in the series, so listening to the thing actually made me sort of uncomfortable in a couple places. I got to the part with Draconus's daughters while driving down a deserted road at like 1 AM and wore a :gonk: face for the next hour or so.

E: Just looked up the narrator of the main three books and he's also done narration for like all of the Gor novels. :biotruths::hf::whip:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 28, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
My bet for Draconus's son is one of Quick Ben's souls. I think his new Tiste girlfriend is also likely to be a soul. It explains how come he refers to Mother Dark as "Mother" and Draconus as "Father" at the Spar of Andii.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm not sure where the whole K'Chain Che'Malle are from space thing comes from. Though being a race that doesn't have their own warren, but developed anti-gravity magic by themselves is pretty impressive.

Kalox
Jul 17, 2013

really?
Your diagrams of chronology made me smile.

I've read the first 4 books with a lot of love and a fair dose of patience... then came Midnight Tides... and while I enjoyed Chapter One, Chapter Two had me struggle so much I haven't picked it up for months.

I imagine the intricacy of his writing will pay off in the end, but there were some characters and stretches of dialogue that had want to skip pages... But then, I thought miss some nice details.

Anyone else struggle with Tehol Beddict and Bugg? Are they the Jar Jar Binks of the Malazan Books? Or have I judged too soon?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Kalox posted:

Your diagrams of chronology made me smile.

I've read the first 4 books with a lot of love and a fair dose of patience... then came Midnight Tides... and while I enjoyed Chapter One, Chapter Two had me struggle so much I haven't picked it up for months.

I imagine the intricacy of his writing will pay off in the end, but there were some characters and stretches of dialogue that had want to skip pages... But then, I thought miss some nice details.

Anyone else struggle with Tehol Beddict and Bugg? Are they the Jar Jar Binks of the Malazan Books? Or have I judged too soon?

Way way way too soon. They are one of the best things in the series.

Kalox
Jul 17, 2013

really?

Masonity posted:

Way way way too soon. They are one of the best things in the series.

Hmm... I don't know what will be more challenging: overcoming my skepticism or reading their passages...

Ok. I'll give them a chance.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

amuayse posted:

I'm not sure where the whole K'Chain Che'Malle are from space thing comes from. Though being a race that doesn't have their own warren, but developed anti-gravity magic by themselves is pretty impressive.
Their warren is Kaschan, and there was speculation in the early books that it's the Imperial Warren.

As for the space thing, there might have been hints in other books, but we have this from The Crippled God:

quote:

'The memory of every Matron is passed down in the blood, the oils--the secretions. Nothing is lost. Gunth Mach has offered me some of their flavours. Much of it I cannot be certain of--there was a time, between the stars...I don't know. And it may be that I did not fully understand the tale I have just told. It may be that many truths were lost to me--our senses are so limited, compared to those of the K'Chain Che'Malle.'

No Pants fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 28, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

No Pants posted:

Their warren is Kaschan, and there was speculation in the early books that it's the Imperial Warren.

But I believe the Imperial warren is later confirmed to be the Warren K'rul made of Kallor's destroyed empire, no?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
What happened to the emlava kittens from Reaper's Gale?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Habibi posted:

But I believe the Imperial warren is later confirmed to be the Warren K'rul made of Kallor's destroyed empire, no?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was strongly hinted at if not stated in one of the later books.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Habibi posted:

I was just pointing out that the warren existed at one point. One of the characters thought the Imperial Warren might have originally been Kaschan because of all the K'Chain Che'Malle wreckage and the fact that some sky keeps were hanging out there.

(Edited for potential spoilers)

No Pants fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 28, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Masonity posted:

My bet for Draconus's son is one of Quick Ben's souls. I think his new Tiste girlfriend is also likely to be a soul. It explains how come he refers to Mother Dark as "Mother" and Draconus as "Father" at the Spar of Andii.
But isn't one of those a high priest of Shadow? That would explain the way he refers to them.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Considering how powerful the K'Chain Che'Malle and the K'Chain Nah'ruk were, I'm surprised the Tiste races were able to even get a foothold when they arrived in the world. Did they just duck and cover during the whole K'Chain civil war? I remember that the Pannion Seer described Rake as not even knowing a fraction of the full power of Moon's Spawn.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

amuayse posted:

Considering how powerful the K'Chain Che'Malle and the K'Chain Nah'ruk were, I'm surprised the Tiste races were able to even get a foothold when they arrived in the world. Did they just duck and cover during the whole K'Chain civil war? I remember that the Pannion Seer described Rake as not even knowing a fraction of the full power of Moon's Spawn.
The war with the Forkrul Assail put the K'Chain on the decline. The Tiste outright invaded; the K'Chain Che'Malle opening a gate to chaos in order to defeat the Forkrul Assail god probably helped them reach Wu in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What warren/hold did the FA use anyways? They didn't really seem to use that much magic and relied more on their super strength and regeneration.