Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
The giant traffic cones often come out when they do street closures for pedestrians, like in Harajuku (around Yoyogi Park), Kabukicho, Shibuya, Akihabara, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Every time someone brings up the Tanimura fight I have flashbacks to being a total badass(idiot).

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Crappy Jack posted:

My personal thoughts? Play on normal, because there is a trophy for finishing on Normal that you don't get if you jump straight to hard. Then play hard on New Game +, which lets you carry over all your stats and cool stuff that you unlocked. Unless you don't care about trophies whatsoever, but yeah, Normal does enough annoying stuff during fights to make it challenging enough on it's own. I'm looking at you, Tanimura final boss fight.

Also completing normal with 0 continues gives you like an extra 2 million yen, so that's a nice little bonus.

Yeah, do it this way. Go through normal first, then if you want to play it again do it on Hard. You'll have a better time in Hard with your items and stats from the normal playthrough. Reeeally trying not to import Y0, holding out on the thinnest of hope that we'll get an announcement near Y5's release date or soon after.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I'll probably import it since even if they do announce a English release in the near future, it's still going to take at least another year for that English version to be released.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I still feel a little nuts putting down $80 for one game, but, OK, I ordered Ryu ga Gotoku 0.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I still feel a little nuts putting down $80 for one game, but, OK, I ordered Ryu ga Gotoku 0.

Man, can't wait... even though I probably won't get to it for a while. Still playing Y5, got Ishin on the backlog, Y5 English release is coming and there is a metric ton of other great games on the backlog as well.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Caitlin posted:

Every time someone brings up the Tanimura fight I have flashbacks to being a total badass(idiot).
I think I beat it by exploiting the invincibility Tanimura has while doing his throw holds, so the finale was just me slowly whittling down a SWAT team by putting people in armlocks for half an hour

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Cat Machine posted:

I think I beat it by exploiting the invincibility Tanimura has while doing his throw holds, so the finale was just me slowly whittling down a SWAT team by putting people in armlocks for half an hour

You and I both.

Circle, circle, circle, circle, circle, circle, circle, circle, circle, circle, circle..

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It plays almost exactly the same if you outfit Tanimura with that bulletproof set.

His fight with the same enemies would have been so much better if it took place in some warehouse with a ton of heavy boxes, partitions, containers and other stuff serving as walls to ram people into.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Crappy Jack posted:

My personal thoughts? Play on normal, because there is a trophy for finishing on Normal that you don't get if you jump straight to hard. Then play hard on New Game +, which lets you carry over all your stats and cool stuff that you unlocked. Unless you don't care about trophies whatsoever, but yeah, Normal does enough annoying stuff during fights to make it challenging enough on it's own. I'm looking at you, Tanimura final boss fight.

Also completing normal with 0 continues gives you like an extra 2 million yen, so that's a nice little bonus.

Alright well I'll give that a shot. I am two hours in though and no one has done any damage to me but I assume that's just early game shenanigans.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy poo poo Zero comes out in three days or so. I guess it's time to hit up Playasia for some PSN bucks, since Amazon.jp hasn't started selling them yet, like I hoped they would (they've been selling PS+ codes directly for months but still not PSN money for some reason).

Huh, I wasn't aware you could do that from Play-Asia. Zero is dropping digitally as well? I don't know why I'm asking this since almost every title does now.

Edit: Anyone know what the price of it will be on the PSN, if it's on there?

Salsa McManus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 12, 2015

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Got my shipping notification from Play Asia! I'll be gaming next week, gives me time to beat Hotline Miami 2 like 5 times.

My first RGG game on PS4! I still haven't beaten 5 yet though, it takes way too long for me to translate and by the time I do a quest I'm exhausted mentally.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Got my shipping notification from Play Asia! I'll be gaming next week, gives me time to beat Hotline Miami 2 like 5 times.

My first RGG game on PS4! I still haven't beaten 5 yet though, it takes way too long for me to translate and by the time I do a quest I'm exhausted mentally.

I'll have it sometime in the next month, apparently. But it's cool that it went out today.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Salsa McManus posted:

Huh, I wasn't aware you could do that from Play-Asia. Zero is dropping digitally as well? I don't know why I'm asking this since almost every title does now.

Edit: Anyone know what the price of it will be on the PSN, if it's on there?

They're now up in the Japan PS Store:

PS4 version ¥8,845, 23.9 GB

PS3 version ¥8,845, 22.7 GB

As of now, ¥8,845 = US$73 / CA$93 / £49 / €70 / AU$96

Hong Kong store links and cheaper prices a few posts down.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 12, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm already downloading, and it appears to have the download while you play thing on the PS4. I wonder if that's just the demo area?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
How big is the initial download?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yechezkel posted:

How big is the initial download?
5 gigs. It should be done in less than an hour.

edit: total is 23 I guess.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Games are up in Hong Kong store, these are the Japanese versions:

PS4 version HK$438

PS3 version HK$438

HK$438 = US$56 / CA$72 / £38 / €54 / AU$74
Wow, that's much cheaper.

Localized Chinese versions are not up as of now.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Yechezkel posted:

Games are up in Hong Kong store, these are the Japanese versions:

PS4 version HK$438

PS3 version HK$438

HK$438 = US$56 / CA$72 / £38 / €54 / AU$74
Wow, that's much cheaper.

Localized Chinese versions are not up as of now.

Wow. I could have saved like $20. Oh well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The beginning part of the full version also has those Bayonetta-like half-animated cutscenes.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oof, they really kept those Poser-quality cutscenes? After Hokuto Musou 2, I can't stand those things anymore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's really weird to see Dojima actually doing things instead of being dead as a plot device.

edit: some normal enemies can attack really fast, like, in between your hits when you are in rush mode.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Yechezkel posted:

They're now up in the Japan PS Store:

PS4 version ¥8,845, 23.9 GB

PS3 version ¥8,845, 22.7 GB

As of now, ¥8,845 = US$73 / CA$93 / £49 / €70 / AU$96
Thanks!

Looks like I'll just grab a $100 JPSN card and grab another thing on the JPSN while I'm at it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This woman is the trainer for the crusher style in Zero.

She is awesome.

edit: when you have Kiryu play Space Harrier, he yells "Those invaders won't get away with this! Lets harri!"

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 12, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Crusher style? How does combat/character advancement work in Zero?

And 5, for that matter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

Crusher style? How does combat/character advancement work in Zero?

And 5, for that matter.
If I remember right, 5 is fairly conventional for the series, where you have levels and get a certain number of golden balls that you stick into skills.

Zero though has three fighting styles per character that each have their own circular skill tree thing, like Ishin did. New to this game, you don't have xp or golden balls or anything, but rather just money. In the game it's literally called "investing in yourself". This game is overflowing with money (going with the 80s setting, during which the Imperial palace grounds were estimated to be worth more than the entire state of California), but the big chunks of it (2 million yen and up) you'll probably end up using on yourself, leaving the smaller bits for everything else.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 12, 2015

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Zero's upgrade system reminded me of like Final Fantasy X's sphere grid.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I did a subquest where I helped a very meek and polite S&M queen learn how to insult and step on people properly. I love this series.

Also I got a "sexy video" of her. After you watch it the camera moves very meaningfully to a box of tissues.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I remember right, 5 is fairly conventional for the series, where you have levels and get a certain number of golden balls that you stick into skills.

Zero though has three fighting styles per character that each have their own circular skill tree thing, like Ishin did. New to this game, you don't have xp or golden balls or anything, but rather just money. In the game it's literally called "investing in yourself". This game is overflowing with money (going with the 80s setting, during which the Imperial palace grounds were estimated to be worth more than the entire state of California), but the big chunks of it (2 million yen and up) you'll probably end up using on yourself, leaving the smaller bits for everything else.

Either the first or second Kurohyo game had the money system.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The beginning of Majima's part sure is something. As the trailers suggested, it shows a completely different side of him, much like the beginning of 3 with Kiryu. Or the beginning of 5, for that matter.

edit: he still likes kicking people in the throat though, so not everything has changed.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 13, 2015

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

I have no idea what I'm doing in this game, but crushing fools is still hilariously amazing.

Sanders! Where do I go after Nishiki and Kazuma have a heart to heart at Kazuma's place after the big brawl with Samurai Tattoo dude?

It's interesting to see how they're going to incorporate Majima and Kazuma's mainstay moves into the fighting styles and how they evolve into their 1-5 styles. Odd to see Kazuma's face stomping in the boxing style.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Salsa McManus posted:

Sanders! Where do I go after Nishiki and Kazuma have a heart to heart at Kazuma's place after the big brawl with Samurai Tattoo dude?
Hm...I can't really think of when you mean, since there's a lot of heart to hearts with those two, and a lot of guys with tattoos.

The story has definitely gone off the rails though. I have no idea how all this stuff happens and then there's another six years before Kiryu goes to prison. It almost feels like they're retconning stuff in the first game. I doubt it though; I'm sure they will tie things up in the end one way or another.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 13, 2015

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

I

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm...I can't really think of when you mean, since there's a lot of heart to hearts with those two, and a lot of guys with tattoos.

The story has definitely gone off the rails though. I have no idea how all this stuff happens and then there's another six years before Kiryu goes to prison. It almost feels like they're retconning stuff in the first game. I doubt it though; I'm sure they will tie things up in the end one way or another.

I believe it's the end of the prologue. After Kazuma's shower scene and Dojima's first appearance. That shower scene though. This game earns most realistic water in a shower in a video game award for all time.

I'll have to plod around when I get home and see what I can do. I told some love sick and broke high school kid to go to hell on accident so that side quest is done.

Edit: I don't think you can stream Zero. I tried last night for some internet friends and it was blocked nearly 99% of the time.

Salsa McManus fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 13, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Salsa McManus posted:

I

I believe it's the end of the prologue. After Kazuma's shower scene and Dojima's first appearance. That shower scene though. This game earns most realistic water in a shower in a video game award for all time.

I'll have to plod around when I get home and see what I can do. I told some love sick and broke high school kid to go to hell on accident so that side quest is done.

Edit: I don't think you can stream Zero. I tried last night for some internet friends and it was blocked nearly 99% of the time.
Yeah, and it has realistic water in cups and stuff too. I still can't remember what they talked about then though, specifically.

If it's like Ishin, you can only record or stream the game after you have beaten it once.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Enough with all this pointless talk about fighting styles and story details. We need to know the real important details.

How many good songs can Majima sing at karaoke?

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

TheLoser posted:

Enough with all this pointless talk about fighting styles and story details. We need to know the real important details.

How many good songs can Majima sing at karaoke?

Kazuma gets a pretty rad 80s cock rock song with a full leather jacket getup.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Salsa McManus posted:

Kazuma gets a pretty rad 80s cock rock song with a full leather jacket getup.
Yeah, I haven't seen Majima's yet (maybe I will when I play tonight) but Kiryu's is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBaK0Am2Wos

edit: he has a dumb weepy ballad too but who cares.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 14, 2015

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The best song in 4 is that Kamurocho love story song or whatever is called with Akiyama and Hana imo

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay I did some Majima karaoke. They are all jpop idol songs, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I'm jealous. I have not received my copy yet. I'm gonna try and finish this Nishimura Kyotaro Suspense game before I get it I guess.

• Locked thread