Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Also, not Cthulhu-related at all, but I've just started watching X-Files, after all these years! And yeah, I definitely see why some people really like playing DG with much the same style - it's got a very similar vibe!

Personally, I'm running it more as investigating Mythos-related stuff without any aliens - but it's still similar in the way agents handle/mishandle situations. (So, Ithaqua/Itla-Shua and its cultists as the overarching antagonists and a Karotechia B-plot on the side, but with plenty of unrelated or semi-related stuff throughout, to keep em on their toes. Not really going into the other major mythos figures/gods, except perhaps a touch of Nyarlathotep)

But yeah, the xfiles Mysterious Pentagon Guy definitely has DG written all over him, at this stage. Hmm... actually maybe MJ-12, with the nameless guy who chats to Mulder as DG in an attempt to gradually Friendly-ify him, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
X-Files was definitely for sure a manifestation of the same early 90s conspiracy culture that produced Delta Green. Though DG predated X-Files, they were both drawing from the same zeitgeist.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

X-Files was definitely for sure a manifestation of the same early 90s conspiracy culture that produced Delta Green. Though DG predated X-Files, they were both drawing from the same zeitgeist.

Also, much as people like to point out DG predating The X-Files, it's worth noting that it predated it in the form of an scenario or two in The Unspeakable Oath in which the concept was only faintly sketched. Compare the pre-X Files Delta Green stuff with, say, the first book and it's apparent that a ton of X-Files influence seeped in along the way.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

God's Teeth just dropped for Labyrinth backers and that might be the grimmest Delta Green material I’ve ever read. Caleb Stokes is a teacher and he has a lot of anger at the way the system fails kids and he got it all onto the page. It’s handled well but I’m not totally sure I could run this.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Huh, I didn't realise DG came before X-Files - but yeah now that I think about it, you're absolutely right. I always thought they both came out at about the same time, but nope there was what, a full year between them? Definitely a lot of inspiration taken from the latter for DG scenarios afterwards though, I certainly agree there, Warthur.

Also, after watching some more eps in the days since my post, I do quite like the format. Not all of it is ideal for DG of course, but man it's pretty good to watch between sessions! Judging from the number of episodes though, it's uh, definitely a '90s American show, eh! :v: As in, waaaay more episodes than what's strictly needed. If it starts to drag later on, I might need to look up which episodes are more 'filler' content and should be skipped, I guess

Out of curiosity, is there a show or episode of anything, that focuses on Ithaqua/Itla-Shua stuff? Especially regarding the cult side of things. I'm currently reading The Ithaqua Cycle to try and get a better understanding of it, but I'm definitely after more if it's available, just so I can hopefully get everything 100% down-pat (and expanded upon, where needed) for when the players start encountering the members of the cult.

Thanlis posted:

God's Teeth just dropped for Labyrinth backers and that might be the grimmest Delta Green material I’ve ever read. Caleb Stokes is a teacher and he has a lot of anger at the way the system fails kids and he got it all onto the page. It’s handled well but I’m not totally sure I could run this.

Huh, interesting! Sounds very grim. I saw that it was inbound when I looked a while ago, but wasn't fully sure what it would entail. Speaking of Labyrinth though, does anyone know what the best way to get all the material would be, preferably without shelling out too much? Like, I know Dennis has a Patreon (seems to just include preview stuff though, from a glance?) and there used to be a Kickstarter for Labyrinth, but is there a 'late arrivals' option for the KS, like with other popular ones? Since IIRC it ended a little before I was even aware of DG, so I wasn't able to get in on the ground floor. I've tried looking around, but haven't been able to find much, sadly

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of Labyrinth though, does anyone know what the best way to get all the material would be, preferably without shelling out too much?

It’s your lucky day. Or week, I guess, since you have a week left to buy it.

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/DGMega

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a show or episode of anything, that focuses on Ithaqua/Itla-Shua stuff? Especially regarding the cult side of things.

There was an Unspeakable Oath adventure that was structured as a "How to Host a Mystery" game. It was Scott Aniolowski's "Cold War", which appeared in The Unspeakable Oath #11. Players are all Ithaqua cultists and all gather with handouts stating what type of hidden information they have and then it is revealed that their cult leader has been mysteriously murdered and they have to solve the murder. All the cult members have something to hide and are suspicious; and in addition there is a cult of Zhar and Lloigor that wants them out of the picture.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Nice! Thanks both - I'll check 'em out :toot:

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

A fun trick: I've had my players roll SAN as a skill before. My players are good roleplayers who don't mind failing, so sometimes I get questions like "What can I roll to see how my character might react to this?" or "What can I roll to see if my character believes this is real or not?" I've often replied that no, you can actually just choose to do whatever, but if you want to give yourself the chance to fail, you can roll SAN.

I mighta mentioned this but for the Crimson Letters - in which the macguffin drives anyone who touches it fatally mad, which your players will almost certainly do, and so you almost certainly have to be like 'its on a timelapse, and don't worry you have time to solve the module before it kicks in' - I kick the insanity off basically the moment the affected players are made aware that they caught the bug, a la Wile E Coyote.

If the players want to do anything that the entity driving them mad would be allowed to do, which I define as 'functionally anything except time travel to the *past*' I have them roll a San and a Pow. 'Fail' the San and pass the Pow and it works perfect, mix successes give mix results. Idea is the character it giving in and letting go of normal physics, but also retaining semblance of self and control. It turns them into a hugely powerful invalid (big penalties across the board to all other skills - they gotta 'order off menu') and people seem to like it.

I haven't tried it for anything else but I do like the idea of putting a functional benefit to having your SAN go down, since it's the most annoying part of the game as it's otherwise just an expiration date on a PC.

E: I define it that way but don't tell the players that they have that much room to splash around in. I just ask them to give me the stat rolls with their skill rolls anytime they try and do anything. The results of failures and mix successes make it clear that something bad/hinky is going on with this character and when they hit on a success success and just instantly are across town/on the other side of a locked door/have put their fist through the head of whoever they're fighting it becomes pretty clear what the mechanic is. You'd be surprised how conservative lots of people are when they realize they can ask the GM for *anything*

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 13, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My group is taking a break from 5e to run a spooky one shot of CoC for spooky season, me and our Australian player are playing as both commonwealth ww1 soldiers respectively visiting Vermont for a job as our post war pay isn't a whole lot. :(

So I'm a Canadian captain (basically rping as my great grandfather) and my Australian friend is an Australian doctor also a captain who served together on the western front. In my backstory we befriended each other as I got shot and he happened to treat me.

There was a really funny moment where out of character I asked where his character initially served and his character served and he straight faced deadpaned "gallipoli" and my brain is like "of course! That just makes perfect sense." and I thought that really amusing.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Thanlis posted:

Just reading it myself and yeah, I couldn't run this. I've got some thoughts on how to use the overall concept, the god using the characters part, but the rest...

It does have some odd phrasing in a later section with an in character document. I assume it's not a reference, but it happens twice in the same document, "Do your loving jobs for once and stop something awful."

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Explodingdice posted:

"Do your loving jobs for once and stop something awful."
God drat, finally.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Explodingdice posted:

Just reading it myself and yeah, I couldn't run this. I've got some thoughts on how to use the overall concept, the god using the characters part, but the rest...

It does have some odd phrasing in a later section with an in character document. I assume it's not a reference, but it happens twice in the same document, "Do your loving jobs for once and stop something awful."
Glad someone's finally getting around to it

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Just had the greatest, dumbest idea for a DG module. Soliciting feedback:

Party gets the assignment to do a little forensics on an op that went bad. Cult was meeting in an abandoned amusement park, there was an agent infiltrating them. He gets blown, things go sideways, a fire team charges in and slaughters the whole lot of them. A mop-up squad is busy disposing of bodies, debriefing surviving agents, and cataloguing evidence/artifacts and it's your job to assist.

Priorities are:
1. Ensure this mess is cleaned up - no loose ends, no evidence pointing towards DG's involvement/existence
2. Identify who this cult was and what they were up to.

Complication arises when perimeter security radios in a team of 4 kids with flashlights and a dog just cut a hole in the fence and are peeking around, and when the team turns their focus back to the room they were in, the weird old mummy and the jewel placed before its throne are gone.

Gonna call it, We Would Have To Have Got Away With It Too. E: "We Need To Have Gotten Away With It Too?"
Between the DG personnel in place you have bloody hazmat suits, black sam fisher suits with crazy green optics to dress up in, of course there is a real evil mummy stalking them as well that you have to protect them from.
Trying to imagine a mechanism to account for how scared you've got them, progress bar style (E: Imagining the team back at the slaughter is bonesawing corpses and chucking them in a furnace in the boiler room? Maybe "just get three scenes with the kids and out"?), what happens if the big guy tackles someone and pulls off your mask, and of course, what if the mummy kills one of them.

E: Just remembered this: https://www.vice.com/en/article/88xk3b/qanon-queen-cult-richmound-school
If I make it an abandoned school I could use those creepy stills of their ceremonies for handouts.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 16, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PipHelix posted:

Just had the greatest, dumbest idea for a DG module. Soliciting feedback:

Party gets the assignment to do a little forensics on an op that went bad. Cult was meeting in an abandoned amusement park, there was an agent infiltrating them. He gets blown, things go sideways, a fire team charges in and slaughters the whole lot of them. A mop-up squad is busy disposing of bodies, debriefing surviving agents, and cataloguing evidence/artifacts and it's your job to assist.

Priorities are:
1. Ensure this mess is cleaned up - no loose ends, no evidence pointing towards DG's involvement/existence
2. Identify who this cult was and what they were up to.

Complication arises when perimeter security radios in a team of 4 kids with flashlights and a dog just cut a hole in the fence and are peeking around, and when the team turns their focus back to the room they were in, the weird old mummy and the jewel placed before its throne are gone.

Gonna call it, We Would Have To Have Got Away With It Too. E: "We Need To Have Gotten Away With It Too?"
Between the DG personnel in place you have bloody hazmat suits, black sam fisher suits with crazy green optics to dress up in, of course there is a real evil mummy stalking them as well that you have to protect them from.
Trying to imagine a mechanism to account for how scared you've got them, progress bar style (E: Imagining the team back at the slaughter is bonesawing corpses and chucking them in a furnace in the boiler room? Maybe "just get three scenes with the kids and out"?), what happens if the big guy tackles someone and pulls off your mask, and of course, what if the mummy kills one of them.

E: Just remembered this: https://www.vice.com/en/article/88xk3b/qanon-queen-cult-richmound-school
If I make it an abandoned school I could use those creepy stills of their ceremonies for handouts.

Being the bad guys in the Scooby Doo scenario is so on point for Delta Green. I love it!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

This looks like a scenario which leads to the PCs having four dead kids and a dog on their conscience/in a shallow grave, which is very Delta Green.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Make one or two of the kids the child of high-ranking individuals in the sacred precincts of the United States Government, maybe that'll change their tune.

Also, if you're OK with the legwork, you could assign PCs a SAN cost value and track the SAN for the meddling kids.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If your the structure/style of your game isn't too adversarial/metagame you could do it a little troupe style where each player is assigned one of the Scoobie Squad to alternate play between scenes with the Agents, until the contact is too close/frequent for trading off and the Handler takes them over.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Shaggy is clearly the son of a senator. Daphne is basically Patty Hearst.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nessus posted:

Make one or two of the kids the child of high-ranking individuals in the sacred precincts of the United States Government, maybe that'll change their tune.

Or that they're reasonably YouTube famous and their disappearance would go viral. Imagine you're on a Delta Green op and the crew from Watcher show up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I came here to ask about starting a Delta Green campaign and hey look the last two pages have basically all DG and most of my questions gave been answered. The game I’m planning will be heavily influenced by True Detective Season 1, The Xfiles, Annihilation, and primarily Control. In fact, I plan to find+replace Delta Green with the FBC/Oldest House and mythos with Objects of Power and Altered Workd Events. As I’mseeing it in my head I want to end the pilot game with a bunch of agents/LEOs from various enterprises being welcomed to the FBC in the late 80s.

Two questions:

1) How crunchy is DG? I’ve played CoC for almost two decades now so I’m very familiar with that system but none of my players are and I haven’t even looked at the DG core yet. My players in my DnD game now, and part of the reason for the switch, is 3/4ths of them want more roleplaying and investigation and can get overwhelmed in combat especially the newest player who went druid with neither of us realizing how complex it can be.

2) Are there any good pre-DG “recruitment” games you can recommend. My cursory search has found one called “Puppet Shows and Shadow Play” but I trust yall more than random sites.

Thanks!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

weekly font posted:

I came here to ask about starting a Delta Green campaign and hey look the last two pages have basically all DG and most of my questions gave been answered. The game I’m planning will be heavily influenced by True Detective Season 1, The Xfiles, Annihilation, and primarily Control. In fact, I plan to find+replace Delta Green with the FBC/Oldest House and mythos with Objects of Power and Altered Workd Events. As I’mseeing it in my head I want to end the pilot game with a bunch of agents/LEOs from various enterprises being welcomed to the FBC in the late 80s.

Two questions:

1) How crunchy is DG? I’ve played CoC for almost two decades now so I’m very familiar with that system but none of my players are and I haven’t even looked at the DG core yet. My players in my DnD game now, and part of the reason for the switch, is 3/4ths of them want more roleplaying and investigation and can get overwhelmed in combat especially the newest player who went druid with neither of us realizing how complex it can be.

2) Are there any good pre-DG “recruitment” games you can recommend. My cursory search has found one called “Puppet Shows and Shadow Play” but I trust yall more than random sites.

Thanks!

DG is a very straightforward system, very similar to CoC but more streamlined from my limited experience with that game. As an example, my fiance had literally never played an RPG before but I invited her to play in a Halloween spooky game with a few of my buddies online, and once I explained the system and helped her with character creation she had a great time playing through Sentinels of Twilight. RIP Brandon

As to recruitment scenarios, I've heard good things about Puppet Shows and Shadow Plays, though I've never read through it or played it myself. But if you want to do something else, there's a few different options:

-In terms of official publications, three of the scenarios in the Control Group collection have the players start as non-DG Agents that get roped into occult nonsense. BLACKSAT has the group play as NASA astronauts, Night Visions has them play as US Army soldiers in Afghanistan, and Sick Again features CDC agents containing a rapidly spreading virus. Similarly, PX Poker Night, an older scenario that was recently spruced up for the current edition of the game, has the players start as soldiers on a remote military base in Nebraska.
-Some other official scenarios like Reverberations are written for Agents who are already part of Delta Green operating under a cover, but can pretty easily be reworked so that the players are legitimately DEA Agents or what have you, who are then brought into DG through their encountering of spooky stuff.
-There are a ton of shotgun scenarios and other contest entries out there, far too many to list. I'm struggling to remember ones that work well as introductory scenarios, but you can always scroll through this massive list of scenarios and pick out what seems interesting.
-Write one yourself! Paradoxically, this may actually be the easiest option, and it's actually what I did when I first played the game. Writing DG scenarios is fun because you get to come up with all kinds of different ways you can gently caress with your players and their expectations, and the system/setting is robust enough that there's all kinds of room for a good hook. Obviously this isn't the answer you came for, but since you already have a bunch of ideas on what you want your game to be in ways that aren't Delta Green, you may find it's easier to write up a scenario wholecloth that better fits the tone/setting you're aiming for as opposed to adapting an existing one that doesn't quite fit with what you're going for.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

weekly font posted:

Thanks!

I ran Puppet Shows a couple years back, though not as an intro scenario. It's great! I think it works really well as an intro scenario because it has the investigation, combat, and spooky stuff in equal amounts. It's got body horror and aliens, and really helps sell that X-filesy tone.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Thank you so much for the in depth response and I’ll definitely be checking these out. As for the wrote your own, my DM philosophy as someone with a very time consuming job is that having a list of tonal and thematic inspirations as well as pulling from primary sources like adventures and campaign settings to use as a foundation is the best way to end up with a functionally unique campaign. My Curse of Strahd game ended up feeling incredibly different from the book as written other than names and maps due to pulling in Soulsborne, Castlevania, Silent Hill and Hammer horror influences. Hell, my most successful campaign ever was Horror on the Orient Express run like Poirot meets Indiana Jones.

Not saying thats the way for everyone but that philosophy with Sly Flourish’s Lazy DM prep keeps me from burnout and if there’s anyone out there running up against that wall I’d highly recommend just stealing from so much poo poo that the amalgam becomes something totally new and letting your PCs think you’re way more creative than you are.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-Write one yourself! Paradoxically, this may actually be the easiest option, and it's actually what I did when I first played the game. Writing DG scenarios is fun because you get to come up with all kinds of different ways you can gently caress with your players and their expectations, and the system/setting is robust enough that there's all kinds of room for a good hook. Obviously this isn't the answer you came for, but since you already have a bunch of ideas on what you want your game to be in ways that aren't Delta Green, you may find it's easier to write up a scenario wholecloth that better fits the tone/setting you're aiming for as opposed to adapting an existing one that doesn't quite fit with what you're going for.

Cosign this 100%. I feel like you/your friends don't end up in DG without absorbing a TON of horror/other media so you're going to have a good idea of where everyone's head is at. It's practically impossible to not embellish the book modules, so after you've done that a few times, figure out which way you push the stock modules and just go as far as you can off the reservation in that direction.
Quick plug: if you play Reverberations like someone suggested I wrote a followup homebrew a few years back, should be on that link, called https://fairfieldproject.fandom.com/wiki/Werewolf_Gimmick that is just "What if The Wrestler starring Mickey Rourke, but DG?"

weekly font posted:

As for the wrote your own, my DM philosophy as someone with a very time consuming job is that having a list of tonal and thematic inspirations as well as pulling from primary sources like adventures and campaign settings to use as a foundation is the best way to end up with a functionally unique campaign.

Same here - I generally figure out who the main NPC characters are, and what they are trying to accomplish in the world of the scenario -before- the team shows up, and leave almost everything else loosely defined. That way no matter what people throw at me I just try to think about how the villain would interpret it and how they'd want to use/circumvent/attack the party.

As for the feedback on my idea, thanks. I decided the way to keep the players from just offing the Scooby Gang (Though I don't play with a group that defaults to that approach, its a totally DG-Valid approach) is have the CO of the original op who hands it off to the team basically shaking from stress and exhaustion and the knowledge of how much trouble he's going to be in over this, and how much work to cover up, and stressing *For The Love Of God No More Bodies*. TikTok celebs is a good idea - my modernist take was have them basically be cop-filming-activists. You can't be a private investigator without running into the police a lot so they shouldn't be shook off too easy, but that doesn't necessarily keep them from getting disappeared.

In addition to the tactical gear/hazmat gear, going to include a Haunted House ride that is 1) a big series of hallways and doors 2) animatronics that will be covered in removable rubber suits (for ease of maintenance and changing the rooms for whatever fad is hot that year).

And at some point having the owner of the property show up - assume there's some sort of silent alarm that's been tripped in all this. Just to give the players at least one big, well lighted OFF RAMP sign.

Just kill the mummy, wrap Old Man MacGillicuddy in its remains (or one of the other costumes) and shove his rear end out of a tree when the kids walk by. Send one of the LEO players through a minute or two later to congratulate them on their hard work. Negative percent chance they pick up on that and its some insanely convoluted bloodbath anyway.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 20, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

PipHelix posted:

Negative percent chance they pick up on that and its some insanely convoluted bloodbath anyway.

Another successful Opera! :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ran my first masks session, I stumbled a bit on the combat in 7e - can someone give me a quick explainer on how it works?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

sebmojo posted:

ran my first masks session, I stumbled a bit on the combat in 7e - can someone give me a quick explainer on how it works?

Do you have the GM screen?
It has very nice charts for combat.

DEX is initiative order. You can drop your DEX to act later.
Readied gun is +50 to DEX.

But basically (in melee) both sides roll dice and compare levels of success (normal/hard/extreme/critical)
Attacker wins ties if defender fights back or maneuvers.
Defender wins ties if they dodge.
If you have fought back / dodged this turn, your opponents get a bonus die when attacking you.
Flee lets you leave combat.

Ranged is unopposed roll (unless in melee range) and a bit more complicated. Especially if you have automatics / semis.
You need to check the chart for the bonus/penalty die from the book/screen.
After consulting arcane books, you roll your attack roll(s). And either you hit or not.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Hello

Trying to rewrite one of my CoC 7th ed adventures to be sold in Drivethrurpg, but as not a dyslexic ADHD native English speaker I'm a bit unsure about everything... Can't remember where I was going with this. :sweatdrop:
But! The thing I was going to ask if the "Dream" scene is understandable to anyone. Spoilers for my "The Death Stench" adventure... :shrug:

The layout is not final and have to change a couple of the fonts at least.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :tipshat:

Also, is there a CoC 7th ed sanity flowchart anywhere?

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
I'd say that charging the investigators 1/1d6 SAN for exhuming a grave is probably unnecessary - maybe 0/1 at best, because while it isn't considered socially acceptable, it doesn't feel right to charge them that much SAN.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cannibal Smiley posted:

I'd say that charging the investigators 1/1d6 SAN for exhuming a grave is probably unnecessary - maybe 0/1 at best, because while it isn't considered socially acceptable, it doesn't feel right to charge them that much SAN.

Yep.

Captain Kosmos posted:

Also, is there a CoC 7th ed sanity flowchart anywhere?

You can find some by searching "coc sanity flowchart" or page 417 of the rulebook has a neat brief summary.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Cannibal Smiley posted:

Was thinking of exhuming the whole cemetery cause I know that's what my players would do. For single it's harsh. However, for all 11 graves, it could be 11 Sanity loss which would be insanity for most of the characters.
Going to change it to 0/1 per spooky skeleton. :tipshat:

Megazver posted:

You can find some by searching "coc sanity flowchart" or page 417 of the rulebook has a neat brief summary.
Have a hard time remembering the sanity rules even though they are pretty simple.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Captain Kosmos posted:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :tipshat:

Not the most helpful feedback, but it seems perfectly fine and readable to me.

Only opinion - and this is 100% personal taste - is to let the events speak for themselves. "If she goes the water, she expetiences a bizzarre and chilling event. Hands, seemingly lifeless, emerge from the water and pull her under"

Could just as easily be "If she goes to the water, seemingly lifeless hands emerge and pull her under." I think you can trust the reader to understand and present it as bizarre and chilling when they DM.

This might be cause I mostly submit to shotgun contests with word limits, and trained myself to strip every unnecessary word, though. And yep, The guy who makes massive long posts is advising brevity and economy of language, pot, kettle, black.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

PipHelix posted:

Not the most helpful feedback, but it seems perfectly fine and readable to me.

Only opinion - and this is 100% personal taste - is to let the events speak for themselves. "If she goes the water, she expetiences a bizzarre and chilling event. Hands, seemingly lifeless, emerge from the water and pull her under"

Could just as easily be "If she goes to the water, seemingly lifeless hands emerge and pull her under." I think you can trust the reader to understand and present it as bizarre and chilling when they DM.

This might be cause I mostly submit to shotgun contests with word limits, and trained myself to strip every unnecessary word, though. And yep, The guy who makes massive long posts is advising brevity and economy of language, pot, kettle, black.

That is what I was looking for, I've been moving the text around so much I have become blind to it, everything looks "wrong". Thanks.
There are probably lots of those in the text, It needs a proper read-through.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Wanted to make more comprehensive flowchart. Does this look correct?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

"Final" versions of the charts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just ran the Peru section of MoN, that kicked rear end. Think I gave my boys some genuine spooky chills. Elias was the dude who hung with them and helped them chill out when they lost sanity which worked ok. Onwards to his brutal demise!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

sebmojo posted:

Just ran the Peru section of MoN, that kicked rear end. Think I gave my boys some genuine spooky chills. Elias was the dude who hung with them and helped them chill out when they lost sanity which worked ok. Onwards to his brutal demise!

So how did your players solve the thing?

My group:

Decided that the tunnels were too spooky, but the crack on top of the pyramid was key to enter... so we filled the crack with dynamite and freed some eldritch thing.

If I had to do a post-mortem on our decision making, then maybe sending someone qualified would have been better than sending an
Broadway Actor pretending to be an archeologist, a New York Lawyer and his secretary niece and a young NYT Cameraman to do the job.

Also jealous of how fast you're moving. We've been playing this campaign for almost 2 years and are still in London.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 2, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My guys didn't bring any dynamite, because they forgot, otherwise hell yeah they would have bombed the poo poo out of the father of maggots. Larkin made it all the way to the pyramid, mind influenced the Chinese detective to go and pull the wards off, then got shotgunned to an extremely bloody end. My guys then went down and fixed the wards in a tense but business like fashion.

I think it's a really good intro because it's spooky and horrid but not actually that dangerous if your investigators play sensibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just watched Dream Scenario and on top of being a good film with a great performance by Cage, it seems like it would be tailor made to adapt to a Delta Green or Unknown Armies scenario. The helplessness of not even being in control of the dream projection and initially enjoying the celebrity is a neat angle on the surface material level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3x9iUL-74w