Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Not sure about the beads. But I bought a toy similar to that and my concern was the plastic tubing and my cockatiel eating it. She did just shred the crap out of it but it looks like she didn't eat any of it. however she did almost hang herself using one of those hanging toys that consist of a bunch of fun shaped rings with a bell at the bottom. Like this one (but not that one specifically.) Luckily we were right there to stop it; but we don't buy her those type of toys anymore.

I think if you're worried about the safety of your bird on a product, than your opinion of safe or not should come first and foremost, regardless of what the pet-store says.

Just for the record, those rings toys are actually really fun for parrots but you have to get the right size. you want rings so big that the birds entire body can fit through them, not just the head. So for a cockatiel we're talking like 5-6" diameter rings preferably of a heavy duty material that won't bend/break. It can be hard to find the proper size (especially if you have something like a macaw and need a good 10" hoop) but my birds all love those things. They're big enough that I can hang them up in the room and treat them like a playstand area.

The tiny plastic ones like pictured are awful for just the reason you described, there are better options for 'small jangly dangly' toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Maru hates swings with a full blooded passion. We got her a jungle gym playset that had a swing and we tried to get her to use it. She just hates it. I think she doesn't feel secure on it.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Elle likes to perch on her swing every now and then but she always forgets how to get off of it even though she can easily hop back onto the perch next to it. Last time she was on it she wound up walking upside down on the ceiling of the cage.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Last time she was on it she wound up walking upside down on the ceiling of the cage.

That's a pretty good conure impersonation.

A few minutes ago I was rapping along to Do or Die to Amadeus, with bird-related lyrics of course. Not only did he rock out as only a parrot can, he encouraged me with random interjections of "REALLY?" and "HEY YOU!" (Occasionally I got a "CUTIE!" but I tried not to let it go to my head.) I dare any cat or dog person to tell me about the time their pet performed a call-and-answer rap song with them. :colbert:

PS nobody's allowed to judge me for freestyling to my bird, I know for a fact I'm not the only one who does :D

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
AACKKKK!!

I feel like every time I have a victory, something else goes extremely wrong. This whole week I've been trying to get Arya to take a bath because she is absolutely filthy. After 4 days I gave up and just left a bowl of water in her cage. Lo and behold. I came home today to find her completely wet. She took a bath on her own! Lesson learned. Just let her set her own pace.

But then 5 minutes later, I went to give Nico a snack and he completely FLIPPED OUT! Screaming, growling, hissing, and just jumping from one end of his cage to the other. I even thought he was in pain, until I realized it's just cage aggression. He's been having some problems with it lately, but until now it's only been hissing and trying to nip at me. He's never flipped out like this, it was absolutely insane! Even Arya got scared.

I'm gonna start to read up on it, but if you guys have any pointers or any advice. He used to be so sweet and shy, now he's a little monster. I think my mom might be part of the problem. She told me today she forced him out of his cage. I'm gonna tell her not to do that anymore. I mean, why would she do that? She knows how scaredy he is.

Right now he's looking at me all shy and he's perched close to my bed. Ugh. And he was so happy when he saw me come home. Then loving freak city.

On the bright side, Arya really loves her veggies.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's probably temporary, and it probably has to do with your mom forcing him out of the cage.

Keep being nice to him and lure him out of the cage with treats when you can. Conures can also be little brats sometimes, he might just be throwing a long tantrum over being pulled out of his cage when he didn't want to be.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hobo Camp posted:

On the bright side, Arya really loves her veggies.

Pinkie out, such a lady!

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Kenshin posted:

It's probably temporary, and it probably has to do with your mom forcing him out of the cage.

Keep being nice to him and lure him out of the cage with treats when you can. Conures can also be little brats sometimes, he might just be throwing a long tantrum over being pulled out of his cage when he didn't want to be.

Thanks! I really hope so. Now she told me that not only did she force him out of his cage, but before she did, she also let Arya hang out on TOP of HIS cage. I had to explain everything to her about birds/height/pecking order and hopefully she'll do better from now on.

My mom's brain: all animals = pet dogs :downs:

I also recently learned from my uncle that Nico was snatched out of his nest when he was just a few days old by a poacher (I always suspected, but didn't have confirmation), so I know this is part of his problem. He really is just the sweetest thing when he's having a good day. Every time he hears my voice he does his little happy dance. So I have faith. I have the weekend off, so we're gonna work on this. Holy hell did he scare me, though.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Pinkie out, such a lady!

Words can't describe how much I love her. I have actual nightmares about her getting hurt.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

PS nobody's allowed to judge me for freestyling to my bird, I know for a fact I'm not the only one who does :D

I am pretty sure every bird owner sings along to songs on the radio with bird-related substitutions to their birds and I refuse to believe otherwise :colbert:

I have overheard my friend doing it at her house to her cockatoo and she remembered I was there and got super embarrassed, then we had a laugh about how we are both crazy bird ladies :allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hobo Camp posted:

Words can't describe how much I love her. I have actual nightmares about her getting hurt.

I know that feeling! I always have a vague terror in the back of my mind of Amadeus expiring while I'm asleep or at work. Today I came home from work, called "Hey you!" as I always do, and didn't get an immediate cry in response. Two seconds of sheer panic. :downs:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Pip pip pip posted:

I am pretty sure every bird owner sings along to songs on the radio with bird-related substitutions to their birds and I refuse to believe otherwise :colbert:

I have overheard my friend doing it at her house to her cockatoo and she remembered I was there and got super embarrassed, then we had a laugh about how we are both crazy bird ladies :allears:
My sister and I were singing songs to her conure, substituting "bird" in random places, to the disgust of her husband.

We sang louder. Her parrot joined in by dancing :parrot:

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know that feeling! I always have a vague terror in the back of my mind of Amadeus expiring while I'm asleep or at work. Today I came home from work, called "Hey you!" as I always do, and didn't get an immediate cry in response. Two seconds of sheer panic. :downs:

I am so glad I'm not the only one that does this, haha. Q normally yells the moment he hears my truck, if I don't hear cockatiel blatting I get all panicky.

When I go in and he is just sitting on the floor talking to the corner then I feel dumb.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

KillerChicken posted:

I am so glad I'm not the only one that does this, haha. Q normally yells the moment he hears my truck, if I don't hear cockatiel blatting I get all panicky.

When I go in and he is just sitting on the floor talking to the corner then I feel dumb.

See, I never have this problem. After we go out, the moment we walk back in the house our too has activated ANGRY MODE. He let's us know that he knows we had a good time without him. Of course if he's covered already we get lucky and do not face ANGRY MODE but instead either get half-awake burbling or alien noises.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I just saw this on reddit. Holy poo poo, so cute. The owner said she/he has a cage that's large and has RAMPS because she can't hold perches or fly in anything but circles (Like Nemo!) Poor bird but OH GOD SO CUTE.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Amaya posted:

I just saw this on reddit. Holy poo poo, so cute. The owner said she/he has a cage that's large and has RAMPS because she can't hold perches or fly in anything but circles (Like Nemo!) Poor bird but OH GOD SO CUTE.

There's a video of Nubbins being a happy budgie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8_90oESK78

:kimchi:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Pookah posted:

There's a video of Nubbins being a happy budgie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8_90oESK78

:kimchi:

Budgies make the best noises.

I have no idea where this is but it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJ6PTY0mzE

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

We recently got some millet as part of another order of stuff, and I don't know about Steve but Ohtori hasn't really had millet before. So, I gave them both an entire one to share, and when I turned around this had happened:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
cockatiel is looking in the bag for more millet.

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008
Today I watched a documentary about budgies and saw the greatest birdface in history.

NWS for bird sex

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Marshmallow Blue posted:

cockatiel is looking in the bag for more millet.

He's a cockatiel so he's more likely lost in the bag, hissing a lot, and totally oblivious to the millet

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Oh my god, the last 18 hours were hell. Last night, just before her bedtime, Zippy startled and flew off my shoulder over the fence in the back yard. I only saw the general direction she went, and I lost my mind. I searched for her (unsuccessfully) with some help from other people for an hour until it got too dark, and then didn't sleep all night. I got up at dawn, ran a 2 mile circuit calling for her up and down hills, stairs, through brush and under the freeway looking for her, and she never answered me. She always answers me and just screams bloody murder when she can't see me. I put out contact information everywhere online, and spent $70 getting lost bird posters and supplies together while feeling pretty sure she was dead.

Just as I admitted defeat, called out the facebook cavalcade, and armed myself with posters and staples to plaster the neighborhood I walked out the front door, and heard her call to me. She flew straight to me from the neighbor's yard. I'm not sure if she spent all night there- unlikely, as I've been going in and out of the house all day, or if she was working her way home all day after going god-knows-where. I don't even care, she's stuck herself to my shoulder and is demanding cuddles and I wouldn't trade any of my actions for the fact that I have her back.

$70 and 18 hours is a small price for a big lesson.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm glad you got Zippy back.

This is not to insult you or anyone else in the thread, but holy crap, DON'T LET YOUR BIRD OUTSIDE UNCAGED OR UNHARNESSED. It doesn't take a whole lot to startle even the best trained bird. Even a clipped bird can get some wind under their wings and take off. I guess in some areas it's common to NOT have screens in your windows. If that's you, put some screens in for christ's sake. If you want your bird to get some sunshine and fresh air, go get an inexpensive cage. It doesn't have to be huge, just big enough for the bird to chill in for a few hours. I suppose you could harness the bird and clip that to a perch or some play stand. Just don't let them be outside unprotected.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Chiyo escaped during transport because I thought I had complete control over an uncaged and unharnessed bird.

Do not take your birds outside without every. loving. precaution. I'd give my left tit to have my baby back.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Just checked Craigslist.

Someone found Chiyo back on the second. She didn't make it through the night.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Official Bizness posted:

Just checked Craigslist.

I'm so so so sorry.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So sorry bizness, and lenswork,glad you got zippy back but I see more precautions in your future

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh god I'm so glad Zippy is safe. I would have been so sad if she got lost forever. My sweet beautiful Amazon. :( Please harness train her if her wings aren't going to stay clipped!

Hell I'm missing Alexis a lot and he's just at the birdy hotel while I'm out of town!

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 13, 2013

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Something I've been looking into since I've been keeping an eye out for a local breeder is a flight suit/harness for when I do get a conure. I'd like to take it outside with me a lot, but know first hand (when I was a lot younger) how easily they can get away from you and into likely danger. Fortunately my first hand experience with said budgie ended with a dude who had some budgies a few streets away asking this group of kids if the random budgie he found chatting to his birds on top of the cage was ours.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, I'm working on harness training Alexis right now. I have the correct size harness. Should only be another week or two until I'm able to start introducing him to wearing him.

It's a really good idea to do if you want to take your bird places like I do.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Official Bizness posted:

Just checked Craigslist.

Oh my god, I'm so sorry.

I think I'm going to get a harness for both my birds now and the people who have lovebirds which aren't flight trained. Not worth the risk.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Harnesses are great (Aviator!) and Ohtori seems really happy when he gets to go outside in his and yell at dogs and random people.

I'm glad Zippy came home and seems fine after her adventure, that could have ended up so much worse. I wonder if she was there all along and just scared to respond, or if she really did somehow make her way back.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

He's a cockatiel so he's more likely lost in the bag, hissing a lot, and totally oblivious to the millet

Before, I would have just laughed. Now I have a cockatiel, it turns out this is actually what they're like

Official Bizness posted:

Just checked Craigslist.

I'm so sorry.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Wow, I'm so glad Zippy is back! How scary!

Biz, I'm really sorry about Chiyo :glomp:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Hey guys, I've got a question about a breeder. A friend of mine is looking at getting a pineapple green cheek from Rainbow Parrots in Georgia. Are they legit? They seem alright with the guarantees and behavioral advice stuff but I don't know anything about what to look for in bird breeders.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Jacques has built up some very impressive wing strength in the past week. He's taken to flying off of my shoulder onto my bed/dressers/book shelves despite having no flight feathers on his underwings. His wing beats are so rapid and clumsy but he usually gets to where he's going!

But this also leads to some bad situations. He just flew off of my monitor and into the bay window hard enough that I checked him for a concussion, luckily he's fine, just a little shaken up. That got me thinking though... Has anyone made jesses for their birds? I know I could make a permanent pair for a few cents, but I was thinking of something removable instead of riveted.

Then I got to thinking, parrots don't have the strength raptors do with their legs, it would probably be a bad idea. The absolute last thing I'd want is a broken foot if he baits off my shoulder during a walk.
I should probably stop thinking of a cockatiel as a herbivorous bird of prey, stalking the elusive millet sprays throughout the night. I can dream though damnit!

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Zeke hates everything except the two annoying women in this picture.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Munnin The Crab posted:

But this also leads to some bad situations. He just flew off of my monitor and into the bay window hard enough that I checked him for a concussion, luckily he's fine, just a little shaken up. That got me thinking though... Has anyone made jesses for their birds? I know I could make a permanent pair for a few cents, but I was thinking of something removable instead of riveted.

This is a bad idea for broken leg things you've mentioned. They make proper flight suits for cockatiels if you want to take him places but when he's inside it shouldn't be a problem...? Put up some clingies on your window (those festive things that grandmas like to put up?) or just carry him around to all the windows/mirrors and let him peck to know they're not a way out. Other than that he'll feel out where he can fly and where he can't.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

WTF am I looking at here?

My vet is closed except for emergencies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'd say that qualifies as an emergency.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

My bet is a ruptured air sac. Do the e-trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Emergency vet says to monitor her condition and if she shows signs of distress to bring her in. She seems to be OK right now. :ohdear: