Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Is there any chance that an AT&T store would have the necessary cables/software to unlock a Nokia 6010? I bought one from eBay for my daughter, and when it came in I found that it's locked to AT&T. I tried a couple of codes from various unlocking sites but managed to hardlock it.

I paid less than $15 for the phone so I'm not broken up about it, but I'd like to use it if I can. Do I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting this thing unlocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Not in the store, definitely not. We use the same web site y’all do.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fatman1683 posted:

Is there any chance that an AT&T store would have the necessary cables/software to unlock a Nokia 6010? I bought one from eBay for my daughter, and when it came in I found that it's locked to AT&T. I tried a couple of codes from various unlocking sites but managed to hardlock it.

I paid less than $15 for the phone so I'm not broken up about it, but I'd like to use it if I can. Do I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting this thing unlocked?

No way you’re getting that unlocked without the original owner submitting the request.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Duckman2008 posted:

No way you’re getting that unlocked without the original owner submitting the request.

For a dumbphone from 2004? That's ridiculous. Pretty sure that was the Cingular era wasn't it?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I keep getting emails from AT&T to switch to their wireless (I currently am a DTV/Uverse customer) and get free HBO. If I even consider this, is there a way I could keep my current rates? Right now I've used Straight Talk for about the past nine years and I'm pretty comfortable with what I get for $45 a month; Unlimited talk, text, and data (well not so much unlimited there but its like 8-10gb and I'm not a heavy data user on my phone) and not having to worry about being tied to a contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

I keep getting emails from AT&T to switch to their wireless (I currently am a DTV/Uverse customer) and get free HBO. If I even consider this, is there a way I could keep my current rates? Right now I've used Straight Talk for about the past nine years and I'm pretty comfortable with what I get for $45 a month; Unlimited talk, text, and data (well not so much unlimited there but its like 8-10gb and I'm not a heavy data user on my phone) and not having to worry about being tied to a contract.

You’re going to have to get whatever plan ATT offers free HBO on. Cobweb probably knows more, but it won’t be a straight talk plan. Your phone should work, so I would compare plans and see which one is better.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Skoll posted:

The “free HBO” is only on postpaid unlimited plans. There’s still no contract unless you buy a new phone, but you’d be paying $60 plus tax. You can get the unlimited plus for $25 off (so $65), which is a good deal, but again, more than you’re currently paying. Also, that $25 off is only if you switch before the 12th (it’s going down to $15 if you switch after that)

ATT prepaid is really good, but doesn’t come with HBO

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hey ATT peeps:

Is there really a ‘back office’ or have I just been getting the runaround?
Basically I have what much be an ancient plan on an even older billing system because I have a actual POTS line at home, and have combined billing with that and my mobile service.

On my bills, right at the top, it says I am getting a $10 discount each month for combining my bills. Only when I made the change to my mobile plans a few months ago, the discount seemed to disappear. Then when I went looking back through other stuff, it turns out I had been getting bills that stated at the top that I was getting that $10 discount, but on the bill I was getting a credit of $3 or $4.

After no joke talking to 20 different ATT people over the course of about 8 total hours, I now have a ‘Case’ but they can’t give me a case number and it’s with the ‘back office’ who I cannot contact directly.

Is this possibly real or should I just register a complaint with the FCC for their billing shenanigans?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

You’re going to have to get whatever plan ATT offers free HBO on. Cobweb probably knows more, but it won’t be a straight talk plan. Your phone should work, so I would compare plans and see which one is better.

kingcobweb posted:

The “free HBO” is only on postpaid unlimited plans. There’s still no contract unless you buy a new phone, but you’d be paying $60 plus tax. You can get the unlimited plus for $25 off (so $65), which is a good deal, but again, more than you’re currently paying. Also, that $25 off is only if you switch before the 12th (it’s going down to $15 if you switch after that)

ATT prepaid is really good, but doesn’t come with HBO

Thanks for the responses. I can live without HBO then.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hey ATT peeps:

Is there really a ‘back office’ or have I just been getting the runaround?
Basically I have what much be an ancient plan on an even older billing system because I have a actual POTS line at home, and have combined billing with that and my mobile service.

On my bills, right at the top, it says I am getting a $10 discount each month for combining my bills. Only when I made the change to my mobile plans a few months ago, the discount seemed to disappear. Then when I went looking back through other stuff, it turns out I had been getting bills that stated at the top that I was getting that $10 discount, but on the bill I was getting a credit of $3 or $4.

After no joke talking to 20 different ATT people over the course of about 8 total hours, I now have a ‘Case’ but they can’t give me a case number and it’s with the ‘back office’ who I cannot contact directly.

Is this possibly real or should I just register a complaint with the FCC for their billing shenanigans?

I haven’t run into this and I don’t even know what POTS is (I’m not in a wired market), but I do know that unified bills are a complete nightmare. We don’t make new ones for a reason.

Do you know exactly the amount you want them to credit you? Just keep asking for that.

Sorry dude :(

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I need to add a smart phone to my account. It’s an family plan with two grandfathered unlimited data lines plus a dumb phone on it.

One unlimited phone has until April until an upgrade and I just paid for an X outright for the other. I can’t even add an iWatch to this account so I imagine this is going to suck. How best could we go about it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

I haven’t run into this and I don’t even know what POTS is (I’m not in a wired market), but I do know that unified bills are a complete nightmare. We don’t make new ones for a reason.

Do you know exactly the amount you want them to credit you? Just keep asking for that.

Sorry dude :(

I don’t know much, but POTS is old school hard wired landline. Not fiber either.

I guess give it a week or so before filing a FCC complaint. Really old setups like that are tough since very few people are going to know or have experience working with it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bunk Rogers posted:

I need to add a smart phone to my account. It’s an family plan with two grandfathered unlimited data lines plus a dumb phone on it.

One unlimited phone has until April until an upgrade and I just paid for an X outright for the other. I can’t even add an iWatch to this account so I imagine this is going to suck. How best could we go about it?

Just move the account to one of the new unlimited accounts. Unless you were getting a serious (>20%) corporate discount, it’s going to be more service for less money on the new plan.

Are the lines with phones on contract or installment plan?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kingcobweb posted:

You’d suspend your service while you’re in another country. It’s called a vacation suspend, it’s like $10/month to retain your number.

Yes, you’d get a SIM in every country.

There is no roaming in the EU anymore, so you only need one SIM. Be sure to check out what the ID requirements are to get a SIM too.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

kingcobweb posted:

Just move the account to one of the new unlimited accounts. Unless you were getting a serious (>20%) corporate discount, it’s going to be more service for less money on the new plan.

Are the lines with phones on contract or installment plan?

Installments for the one that’s up in April.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bunk Rogers posted:

Installments for the one that’s up in April.

Yeah, you’re way better off switching plans. The only real advantage of those old plans was that they didn’t charge the extra $20/month for being on contract... which it sounds like you’re not.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I don’t know much, but POTS is old school hard wired landline. Not fiber either.

I guess give it a week or so before filing a FCC complaint. Really old setups like that are tough since very few people are going to know or have experience working with it.

I was told there are fewer than a thousand people on this kind of bill. Which is weird because there have to be tons of people with old school hard wired land lines, right?

As for the issue, back of the napkin math says they shorted me at least $600, if not literally thousands if we go back further in my billing history. I mean I have all the bills, just need to do the math.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

kingcobweb posted:

Wait, is there some other promo going on right now? Because I'm paying $115 for Unlimited Plus Multi Line plus $20 for tablet access and $20 for my cellphone.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

kingcobweb posted:

Yeah, you’re way better off switching plans. The only real advantage of those old plans was that they didn’t charge the extra $20/month for being on contract... which it sounds like you’re not.

You’re the best! Thank you!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

I was told there are fewer than a thousand people on this kind of bill. Which is weird because there have to be tons of people with old school hard wired land lines, right?

As for the issue, back of the napkin math says they shorted me at least $600, if not literally thousands if we go back further in my billing history. I mean I have all the bills, just need to do the math.

Yeah, I have customers every day where they’ve been paying more then they had to compared to plans. On the flip side, I’ve had customers who have had super cheap plans for forever and saved a lot.

It sucks because the carrier isn’t going to go out of its way to make sure you are on the cheapest plan, and finding the best plan tends to be dependent on who you talked you in store or on the phone and what they knew or didn’t know. Add that with the most people only checking their plans only once every 2+ years, and yeah.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Wait, is there some other promo going on right now? Because I'm paying $115 for Unlimited Plus Multi Line plus $20 for tablet access and $20 for my cellphone.

Two things:

There’s Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Choice. Unlimited Plus is $30 more expensive, and gives you 10gb hotspotting and uncapped speeds. Choice has 6mbps speeds and 480p streaming.

Also, you’re just straight up overpaying! Change your plan to Unlimited Plus one line, which allows a single tablet unlimited at $20. So that’ll be 90+20 if you’re on autopay.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I have customers every day where they’ve been paying more then they had to compared to plans. On the flip side, I’ve had customers who have had super cheap plans for forever and saved a lot.

It sucks because the carrier isn’t going to go out of its way to make sure you are on the cheapest plan, and finding the best plan tends to be dependent on who you talked you in store or on the phone and what they knew or didn’t know. Add that with the most people only checking their plans only once every 2+ years, and yeah.

RSC?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I was RSC, then ASM at ATT. Politics happened, to put it mildly, so I went to Verizon. I’m currently Verizon’s version of RSC.

If you want to talk phone chat, feel free to PM me.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, the plans were fine, and I stayed with an unlimited data plan and paid far too much for it on principal. My problem was it said in writing at the top of my plan that I was receiving a discount that I didn’t get. It’s not about being on the cheapest or best plan or not having the best deal currently available, saying you get :10bux: but not giving it to you looks like straight up fraud.

I was able to consolidate plans, add a watch and still save $30 a month. The plans are fine. So glad to have unlimited again.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Having paid for my IPhone X outright at launch does that mean I can’t take advantage of the bogo sale?

Edit: Returned the phone and bought it back with financing to allow for the $699 credit.

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 11, 2017

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
The Att website is just unaccepable.

Totally slow, impossible to find information, and missing features that earlier versions of the site had. Why can’t i filter phones when choosing a new phone to buy?

I also had to call them to find out when my contract is up after I spent 30 minutes trying to find it myself

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Currently I have a phone I got on contract and I want to replace it with an unlocked phone (oneplus 5t probably). The AT&T website says:

quote:

• If you moved an active SIM card to a new device and did not notify us of that change, your existing data plan might not be compatible.
  • To update the device information on the account and make any required plan changes, the account holder or authorized user can contact us.

Which is pretty vague. So I have two questions: if I just slap my current SIM in the new phone, is the data plan likely to work? And if not, would the "required plan changes" result in a higher bill? I called customer service and it was just a robot voice that asks what you need help with without enumerating any options, which is pretty unhelpful!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

da beeper king BABY posted:

Currently I have a phone I got on contract and I want to replace it with an unlocked phone (oneplus 5t probably). The AT&T website says:

Which is pretty vague. So I have two questions: if I just slap my current SIM in the new phone, is the data plan likely to work? And if not, would the "required plan changes" result in a higher bill? I called customer service and it was just a robot voice that asks what you need help with without enumerating any options, which is pretty unhelpful!

What is your current phone. If it is also an LTE phone it'll most likely just work fine. If not, take it into a store and they'll fix it.

Does anyone know if 8.1 is supposed to bring HD (VoLTE) to the OG Pixel XL ? My wife got the update but nothing registered in IMS services. AT&T Online recognizes the Pixel XL device.

My XL2 got the 8.1 update and got provisioned out HD (VoLTE) before I knew to check.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It works fine just moving the SIM card, don’t know why the site is so alarmist.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Cool, thanks for the help! My current phone is a Galaxy S6 Active which does seem to be LTE, so it sounds like I'm good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

It works fine just moving the SIM card, don’t know why the site is so alarmist.

ATT and others classify iPhone data and Android data differently. No different in price, but popping in a similar from iPhone to Android will provision from "plan with android data" to "same plan with iPhone data." So it could technically be a plan change. So legal stuff probably.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm still on my grandfathered iPhone data plan with an iPhone 7 and i plan on getting a iPhone X from Apple under the No-Sim option and am assuming all of that will transfer no problem.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Dave posted:

Yeah I'm still on my grandfathered iPhone data plan with an iPhone 7 and i plan on getting a iPhone X from Apple under the No-Sim option and am assuming all of that will transfer no problem.

The grandfathered unlimited plans are strictly worse than the new unlimited plans unless you have some sick 25+% FAN discount that makes your current service cost <$90/month. I wouldn’t sweat it, don’t fear change

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Customer: “well I have a grandfathered plan”

Me: “yeah the new one is less expensive, adds 10gb of hotspotting per month, works across the continent, and everyone on you account gets unlimited instead of just you”

Customer: “well I’ll think about it”

v:confused:v

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kingcobweb posted:

Customer: “well I have a grandfathered plan”

Me: “yeah the new one is less expensive, adds 10gb of hotspotting per month, works across the continent, and everyone on you account gets unlimited instead of just you”

Customer: “well I’ll think about it”

v:confused:v

Alright, I'll bite. Currently after discount, my bill for the grandfathered unlimited plan (1 line) is 96.94. What would I be looking at if I were to jump to the new plan? Does it help out at all with phone costs if I decide to get a new phone (iPhone more than likely)?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nwiniwn posted:

Alright, I'll bite. Currently after discount, my bill for the grandfathered unlimited plan (1 line) is 96.94. What would I be looking at if I were to jump to the new plan? Does it help out at all with phone costs if I decide to get a new phone (iPhone more than likely)?

Difficult to tell because lots of different things can go into that final bill. On your bill, it should list like “data unlimited $X / messaging $X /national account discount -$X” under your phone number. What are those charges?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

The grandfathered unlimited plans are strictly worse than the new unlimited plans unless you have some sick 25+% FAN discount that makes your current service cost <$90/month. I wouldn’t sweat it, don’t fear change

We actually do get a decent FAN discount and it’s part of a family plan that has some dumb phones on it so moving to a 4 line mobile share plan will cost us more.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Dave posted:

We actually do get a decent FAN discount and it’s part of a family plan that has some dumb phones on it so moving to a 4 line mobile share plan will cost us more.

Ah yeah, if you’re getting that $10 basic phone cost that’s a reason to stick with an old plan. But it still depends on the rest of it!!

Basically go into your bill (pdf from the site is what I use in-store) and add up the line costs before the taxes/fees/phone payments, minus insurance. Then compare that with:

105+20*[number of lines]

...and if the second one it’s less it’s a strict price drop. Even if it’s close, the new one has Mexico and Canada and hotspotting so it’s usually better

That’s the unlimited plus. Unlimited choice is $30 less and has no hotspotting and speeds are capped to 6mbps

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, did anyone else get a DirecTV rate increase letter? :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Skoll posted:

So, did anyone else get a DirecTV rate increase letter? :smithicide:

This is off the top of my head but iirc if you’re out of contract or signing up in 2018 it’s like $8/month more; if you lock in a price before then it doesn’t until the contract is up